Author Topic: BA on Skate Mental  (Read 27152 times)

TMKF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BA on Skate Mental
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »
word around town (well, my industry connected buddy that isn't even really my buddy we just say hello and talk shit at the skatepark but he used to work at dlx and knows staba and some of the thrasher dudes and .....) but yeah.... dydrek fucked up the workshop, grant and omar are looking for a way out and through the nike connection are talking about joining 3d ... but they want partnerships or at least a healthy stack as they will be mainly carrying the company

what a beast company 3d shall be if this goes down

Not true, they have both had offers and are down for Workshop. 

the molusk

• Rep: -6
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »
nah brah, its true they're toying with the idea, nothings been signed or anything as i said they want partnerships but ba doesn't wants it to be "his" company.... think about what you would do, your boss wants to sell you out to wallmart and metal mallisha or you can split and have a share in something new which you can help define as "cool" and present yourself the way you believe you should be presented to an audience who you believe in.... because when skateboardings goes down again wall mart and metal malisha won't be there to carry you, where as your own skateboard company, with fans that actually skateboard will.

...plus nikes got a share in this so some financial incentives have been presented

dillanharp

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »
nah brah, its true they're toying with the idea, nothings been signed or anything as i said they want partnerships but ba doesn't wants it to be "his" company.... think about what you would do, your boss wants to sell you out to wallmart and metal mallisha or you can split and have a share in something new which you can help define as "cool" and present yourself the way you believe you should be presented to an audience who you believe in.... because when skateboardings goes down again wall mart and metal malisha won't be there to carry you, where as your own skateboard company, with fans that actually skateboard will.

...plus nikes got a share in this so some financial incentives have been presented

And you think Nike is in this for the long haul?

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And you think Nike is in this for the long haul?

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
because when skateboardings goes down again wall mart and metal malisha won't be there to carry you, where as your own skateboard company, with fans that actually skateboard will.

Oh, you mean the same fans of companies that can't even spend the $10-$20 on team videos and would rather steal/pirate it? Funny way of showing 'support'.

Slapocrisy.com.

D. Bag

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
because when skateboardings goes down again wall mart and metal malisha won't be there to carry you, where as your own skateboard company, with fans that actually skateboard will.
[close]

Oh, you mean the same fans of companies that can't even spend the $10-$20 on team videos and would rather steal/pirate it? Funny way of showing 'support'.

Slapocrisy.com.

How sadly fucking true.  I'd be willing to bet that 90% here have bootlegged and stolen shit from their favorite shops/companies and they STILL don't think that's a problem or something that actually had an impact.  I understand that the under 20 crowd grew up raised to think that pirating shit from people/companies who deserve support is all fine and good, but when I hear about dudes in their late 20s and 30s doing that shit, it just makes me want to punch them square in the teeth for being complete fucktards because they know better.  Indefensible idiotic bullshit, no matter how someone tries to justify it. 

Morons, every last one who defends taking shit for free that they should be paying for out of some sort of stupid self-justification.  I guess there are plenty of hypocrite assholes who won't be happy until skateboarding is back to being broke, where contest purses are $250 and a case of beer, and where their favorite pros have to work part-time at gas stations just to make rent.  But, hey, look on the bright side - that evil Nike won't be involved any longer, and it'll be like 1990 all over again, where you only run into other skaters every few weeks if you're lucky because it'll be so terribly unpopular that nobody but a handful of us will be left.  Awesome!

Will Easley

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »
Quote from: D. Bag  link=topic=70827.msg1931412#msg1931412 date=1370813446
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Slapocrisy.com.
[close]

How sadly fucking true.  I'd be willing to bet that 90% here have bootlegged and stolen shit from their favorite shops/companies and they STILL don't think that's a problem or something that actually had an impact.  I understand that the under 20 crowd grew up raised to think that pirating shit from people/companies who deserve support is all fine and good, but when I hear about dudes in their late 20s and 30s doing that shit, it just makes me want to punch them square in the teeth for being complete fucktards because they know better.  Indefensible idiotic bullshit, no matter how someone tries to justify it. 

Morons, every last one who defends taking shit for free that they should be paying for out of some sort of stupid self-justification.  I guess there are plenty of hypocrite assholes who won't be happy until skateboarding is back to being broke, where contest purses are $250 and a case of beer, and where their favorite pros have to work part-time at gas stations just to make rent.  But, hey, look on the bright side - that evil Nike won't be involved any longer, and it'll be like 1990 all over again, where you only run into other skaters every few weeks if you're lucky because it'll be so terribly unpopular that nobody but a handful of us will be left.  Awesome!

yeah that's always been one of my pet peeves. when I was a 15 year old with no income id fuck around n pirate skate videos, but now that I'm actually an adult with money I buy ALL my skate videos. hell you can even rent shit for like 3-4 dollars on itunes anyway so there's really no excuse to STEAL skate videos. especially if you're gonna be on some holier-than-thou support skateboarding crusade on slap.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
Quote from: D. Bag ? link=topic=70827.msg1931412#msg1931412 date=1370813446
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Slapocrisy.com.
[close]

How sadly fucking true.?  I'd be willing to bet that 90% here have bootlegged and stolen shit from their favorite shops/companies and they STILL don't think that's a problem or something that actually had an impact.?  I understand that the under 20 crowd grew up raised to think that pirating shit from people/companies who deserve support is all fine and good, but when I hear about dudes in their late 20s and 30s doing that shit, it just makes me want to punch them square in the teeth for being complete fucktards because they know better.?  Indefensible idiotic bullshit, no matter how someone tries to justify it.? 

Morons, every last one who defends taking shit for free that they should be paying for out of some sort of stupid self-justification.?  I guess there are plenty of hypocrite assholes who won't be happy until skateboarding is back to being broke, where contest purses are $250 and a case of beer, and where their favorite pros have to work part-time at gas stations just to make rent.?  But, hey, look on the bright side - that evil Nike won't be involved any longer, and it'll be like 1990 all over again, where you only run into other skaters every few weeks if you're lucky because it'll be so terribly unpopular that nobody but a handful of us will be left.?  Awesome!

I was lucky enough to start skateboarding because of an older brother who was 8+ years older than I am, being a kid in that position made me mature (in skate terms) much faster than all of my friends. I started collecting skate videos and basically studying old videos and knowing the roots of what I love to do at an early age so I understand 100% what you mean by how fucking strange it is when skateboarders don't support company skate videos or independent skate videos for that matter. It's a 10-20 measly dollar purchase, sometimes even less!

I'm bitter.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2013, 03:55:28 AM »
Quote from: D. Bag  link=topic=70827.msg1931412#msg1931412 date=1370813446
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Slapocrisy.com.
[close]

Early 90's a bootleg copy of a video was the best we could do because the distro/shop only got a few copies and when they were gone they were gone. Later in the decade they clued into the videos importance and were readily available and released with greater frequency. These days I still buy the DVD hard copy because I like to have it and support the skates hop I bought it from rather than iTunes.

But what the fuck is wrong with skateboarding perhaps getting a little less popular? Prize purses getting a little less grand, pro's having to think about options for financial security, hell most of the board brands I ride have this as a reality anyway. I'm not interested in one of these "core'r than thou" arguments, I look forward to smaller companies making less money but putting a skateboarders influence back into the brand rather than a marketers touch and endless logo/team boards. 1990 was fucking awesome. I hope we can see some sort of renaissance of that spirit even with the mainstream exposure rather than just an escalating expectation of earning by the marketed elite.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2013, 06:29:26 AM »

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
3D is going to be Brian Anderson, Austyn Gillette, and Alex Olson.

Three dudes.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Greg Road

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Brilliant.

haha ya that's cool - I just "got" it ... I'm a bit under the weather at the moment. I think I had a pair of those shoes ... fuckin' moon boots.