Author Topic: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston  (Read 83429 times)

mneutron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
There always has been and still is this level of misogyny that seems to be acceptable in skateboarding. (and male culture in general.) It's fucking sad. Sad on so many levels. You hear it at skateparks and when you're out skating. The shit that skaters say to and about women is pretty lame. I'd hope that we could be a little more understanding or respectful or what the fuck ever....Unfortunately Nyjah's comment reflects the opinion of way too many of "us". I hate it.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
There always has been and still is this level of misogyny that seems to be acceptable in skateboarding. (and male culture in general.) It's fucking sad. Sad on so many levels. You hear it at skateparks and when you're out skating. The shit that skaters say to and about women is pretty lame. I'd hope that we could be a little more understanding or respectful or what the fuck ever....Unfortunately Nyjah's comment reflects the opinion of way too many of "us". I hate it.

Well said.

It's weird because skaters have always tried so fucking hard to be "counter culture", but when it comes to shit like this they step right in line with, like, the far right or some shit. It's like...old world values in some ways for some weird reason. Is it because right now culture in general puts forward the idea that women can and should skate if they want to...so skaters are like, "Na, man, keep women off of skateboards," because that's basically contrary to what is popular?

I just don't get it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
Until he said this, I was actually starting to like this guy.

He's young, and this stupid statement proves it. Very immature.

I would say people will forget about this in the years to come, like everyone forgetting about Duffel's racist ass shit he said about Stevie Williams, but Nyjah is just way too big of a name and all over a place for people to forget about this.

He'll say sorry soon, and in the coming years, he'll realize how regular he was when he though/said that.

Except people still bring up Duffel's comment.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well said.

It's weird because skaters have always tried so fucking hard to be "counter culture", but when it comes to shit like this they step right in line with, like, the far right or some shit. It's like...old world values in some ways for some weird reason. Is it because right now culture in general puts forward the idea that women can and should skate if they want to...so skaters are like, "Na, man, keep women off of skateboards," because that's basically contrary to what is popular?

I just don't get it.
That might actually sum it up.
Haha.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well said.

I just don't get it.

Yeah, it is sad.  Now that I have owned a skateshop I have asked myself so often "what the fuck is wrong with us?"  Skaters are way too often rolling piles of hypocrisy.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
Okay we get it Nyjah you cunt, you bs noseblunt and think you're top dog now. Don't get a head of yourself faggot.

Crying in skateboarding contests is not for anyone, except pussies.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
Dreadlocks ruin everything for everyone always.
Fuck that. My dreads look good.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
I think it's kinda taken a bit out of context once you analyze it from his eyes.

What defines skating to him is Handrails, Big Gaps and a bunch of gnarly shit.

Regardless of how he said "At all" I think he just meant it in that regard.

Just my thought...I could be wrong, but that's what I thought of it.
Plus, didn't really think it was that big of a deal.

Ding Ding.  and my genitals aside, his idea of "skating" is not for me either.  i'm not trying to die.

still a stupid statement.
where is home?

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
I'm surprised everyone is getting so offended by this.

You want skateboarding to remain gritty and stay out of the mainstream? You don't want it in the Olympics or more corporate sponsorships? Well it's this type of shit you're going to have to put up with. You can't have it both ways.

But forget that for a second. Watch this at the 1:00 mark

Now watch this at 25 seconds:

Don't you feel a little bit differently watching the two? I don't think he was trying to say that girls shouldn't be allowed to skateboard, I think he's saying that girls shouldn't be put into situation where injury is high-risk.

Unless you're a militant femenist, I don't see why you guys would get up in arms about this.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

@tempster_returns @nyjah_huston is it ok for girls to rollerblade? That is ok, right?
_caseylee - about an hour ago
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Until he said this, I was actually starting to like this guy.

He's young, and this stupid statement proves it. Very immature.

I would say people will forget about this in the years to come, like everyone forgetting about Duffel's racist ass shit he said about Stevie Williams, but Nyjah is just way too big of a name and all over a place for people to forget about this.

He'll say sorry soon, and in the coming years, he'll realize how regular he was when he though/said that.
[close]
Prolly someone will tell him that wasnt very marketable. He will be a careful dick in the future. Maybe he will hire some image maker to answer interviews in the future.
And here it is:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkkrn9
I want to apologize for the remarks I made in Thrasher about female skateboarders. What I meant was that skateboarding is a gnarly sport, in general, and as someone who knows the wrath of the concrete all too well, I don�t like the thought of girls (like my little sister) getting hurt. My words were an inaccurate reflection of who I am; more importantly they were disrespectful and I genuinely regret them.

Still pretty misogynistic, but in a paternalistic way instead of exclusionary now.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »
That comment is ironic since 100% of his pants are bought in the slim teen female section.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »

You want skateboarding to remain gritty and stay out of the mainstream? You don't want it in the Olympics or more corporate sponsorships? Well it's this type of shit you're going to have to put up with. You can't have it both ways.

Don't you feel a little bit differently watching the two? I don't think he was trying to say that girls shouldn't be allowed to skateboard, I think he's saying that girls shouldn't be put into situation where injury is high-risk.

Unless you're a militant femenist, I don't see why you guys would get up in arms about this.

You're kidding, right? He straight up says girls shouldn't skate AT ALL and then when Phelps mentions some girl landing a 540 he brushes it off and makes a comment like, "That doesn't count."

But regardless, why shouldn't girls be put into a high risk situation? Because they can't handle it?

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're kidding, right? He straight up says girls shouldn't skate AT ALL and then when Phelps mentions some girl landing a 540 he brushes it off and makes a comment like, "That doesn't count."

But regardless, why shouldn't girls be put into a high risk situation? Because they can't handle it?

to me skating is for anyone who is actually into. this kid, and all his sponsor's can offically suck .. im tossing out my DC taylors. i love em. but screw them for backing this douche. i dont care how young his is. skating isn't about kicking people out. its a thing, a place, where people can find them selves. its for everyone who loves it. him and his sponsors obviously dont.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
what a fucking idiot.

maybe its because all he cares about is winning contests and making money forgetting that you don't have to skateboard just for those goals.

Who are you to say that someone can ride a piece of wood you little fuck, I'm sorry your strict daddy raised you to think that skateboarding is not about having fun and that only pros should be doing it.

What a shitty attitude, I'm the last person to stand up for womens rights lol but that was just idiotic and stupid.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
Let's be real, who here watches the WNBA?

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »

Last time I checked, skateboarding isn't just for guys.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »
So if you aren't a top caliber professional you shouldn't participate in it? What company do you have a pro model board on?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
Apologizes for something he said in Thrasher - is to -  That's so not punk  
Disqualifies self from SOTY running.    -is to - like you had a a chance.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
skating isn't about kicking people out. its a thing, a place, where people can find them selves. its for everyone who loves it.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

to me skating is for anyone who is actually into. this kid, and all his sponsor's can offically suck .. im tossing out my DC taylors. i love em. but screw them for backing this douche. i dont care how young his is. skating isn't about kicking people out. its a thing, a place, where people can find them selves. its for everyone who loves it. him and his sponsors obviously dont.

dude, chill. he's an 18 year old homeschooled, sheltered-his-whole-life-by-crazy-dad, kid. girls are gonna skate regardless of what some skinny little kid says in a magazine... no need to start a boycott.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 878
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So if you aren't a top caliber professional you shouldn't participate in it? What company do you have a pro model board on?

I never said that women shouldn't participate in skateboarding. I would however like to know how many people on here have bough an Elissa Steamer board or any other girl's pro board? I am curious, because my guess is that little to no one has and this simply creates a divide in genders for skateboarding (ie all girl teams or something that seperates themselves from the industry).

Everybody's acting like it can be an equal playing field and it should be, when this is probably a very difficult standard to achieve. Just look at all the struggles of implementing Title 9 into women's collegiate sports. It has greatly increased the amount of women that participate in sports all the way up to the Olympics but there's no way that something like that could guarantee that companies will succeed by making their teams on half women half men or something like that.

My real point is you all say that you back girl skateboarders and think they should be allowed in the sport, but nobody wants to support them directly. Yet you're pissed because some cocky douchebag says that they don't have a place in the sport, when y'all have helped make it true.

Yu Dum

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

dude, chill. he's an 18 year old homeschooled, sheltered-his-whole-life-by-crazy-dad, kid. girls are gonna skate regardless of what some skinny little kid says in a magazine... no need to start a boycott.
True, but there's going to be all of these kids that worship Nyjah will adopt his idea of girls not being allowed in skateboarding. Then they'll harass and spout more ignorant nonsense to the women that do go to the skateparks and rip. It'll create a huge wave of ignorance.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3325
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

BOYCOTT HIS DREADLOCKS NOW

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
Little park whore in high top Osiris who pushes mongo and does it to be a slut=NO. Leticia, Elissa, Alexis = YES

HIggs Bawson

• Rep: 7
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
He needs to apologize for that apology, he offended my little sister.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
most girls i see skating look like they came straight out of a darren navarrette wet dream, and they can't skate for jack shit. they're posers, that is.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I never said that women shouldn't participate in skateboarding. I would however like to know how many people on here have bough an Elissa Steamer board or any other girl's pro board? I am curious, because my guess is that little to no one has and this simply creates a divide in genders for skateboarding (ie all girl teams or something that seperates themselves from the industry).

Everybody's acting like it can be an equal playing field and it should be, when this is probably a very difficult standard to achieve. Just look at all the struggles of implementing Title 9 into women's collegiate sports. It has greatly increased the amount of women that participate in sports all the way up to the Olympics but there's no way that something like that could guarantee that companies will succeed by making their teams on half women half men or something like that.

My real point is you all say that you back girl skateboarders and think they should be allowed in the sport, but nobody wants to support them directly. Yet you're pissed because some cocky douchebag says that they don't have a place in the sport, when y'all have helped make it true.
So this means that if i support gay people's rights i have to watch gay porn ? Maybe try a blowjob?

Dude get real. Nobody cares if girls are skating or not the point is that you cant tell no one what to do because he is of another gender, sexual orientation or race. This shit is wack. What are girls for then? Cooking and washing your shit stained laundry? Jokes aside they re not.

Bertie

• Rep: 65
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
If his cunt of a hockey dad was able to force his preteen self into carcass tossing at public skate events and it goes over ok, I think maybe it's cool for women to decide for themselves if they want to go for a roll.