Author Topic: PRISM What is going on?  (Read 11814 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
PRISM What is going on?
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:48:34 AM »
If there is another thread, please delete.

I saw none and was fairly shocked.

This seems like quite a big deal.

(Am I now a terrorist?)
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: PRISM What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:34 AM »
Ugh, I hate Mondays. At least I have time to check and see if there are any breaking developments in this story. Let's cruise on over to the Huffington Post. Looks like their newest story(top story below today's headline)is going to be a doozy:

Oh yeah. Me rikey. Dis gonna be good:

HOLREE SHEET. This IS bizaare. Apparently this guy was asked to move out of the house he was renting by his landlord so it could be sold, then some time later... He DID move out. But wait, it gets juicer! Not only that, but for some reason they took their stuff with them when they moved! A neighbor even reported starting to see boxes appear outside of their house a short time before they left! What THE FUCK IS GOING ON? False flag?
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:24 AM »
If you thought that you were not being monitored at some capacity, then you are stupid.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
That doesn't mean you can't be indignant about the violation of the people's privacy.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:18 AM »
Read the Edward Snowden interview on the Guardian this morning. This truly does seem like some Bourne shit.

Funnily enough, the dude that leaked CIA information in the Bourne Ultimatum also happened to leak it to a Guardian reporter.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »

jerrys_kids

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »
Obama's responses seemed nice and fed to him.
We no longer live in democracy the government just wants as much money and power as they can get and they don't care what it does to the average citizen.

http://gizmodo.com/president-obamas-prism-response-wont-make-you-feel-on-511912648

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
What is it that you think the us govt is gonna do with your personal information that you're so scared of?  some clear cut examples of what i should be afraid of would be nice.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »
i'm usually the last one to believe conspiracy theories, but this has me wondering.  this is really scary stuff.  people saying that its not a big deal, or we should expect the government to do this, don't really get it.  

i think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.  if an analyst has access to this stuff, there's no telling what more important people have access to.  the fact that the government is just shrugging its shoulders, and trying to vilify the whistleblower, is distressing.  one of the things that makes our country great is the fact that we can speak up against our own government.  the fact that they are talking about trying this guy for treason is terrifying.  
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
i'm usually the last one to believe conspiracy theories, but this has me wondering.  this is really scary stuff.  people saying that its not a big deal, or we should expect the government to do this, don't really get it.  

i think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.  if an analyst has access to this stuff, there's no telling what more important people have access to.  the fact that the government is just shrugging its shoulders, and trying to vilify the whistleblower, is distressing.  one of the things that makes our country great is the fact that we can speak up against our own government.  the fact that they are talking about trying this guy for treason is terrifying.  

Obama nailed it.

When he was campaigning the first time.

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »
Years ago my family played host to a foreign exchange student from China. We stayed pen pals until she jotted her phone number down in one of her last letters. She spoke extremely limited and poor engish, and I know zero Chinese. Somehow over time our phone "conversations" just turned into her moaning and getting off to my voice which led to daily skype sessions. It would nice if someone somewhere has these recorded and I can get someone in the government to translate and send me a copy. I just hope it wouldn't ruin what we had by knowing what she's saying.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. Unwarranted wiretapping of American citizens is an indisputable fact.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. Unwarranted wiretapping of American citizens is an indisputable fact.

i'm not talking about this being a theory.  i'm talking about other equally improbable theories being true as well.  this is one of those things that crackpots have been screaming their heads off about for years.  i'm usually very skeptical about that kind of stuff, but this makes me wonder what other revelations are going to come. 

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
What is it that you think the us govt is gonna do with your personal information that you're so scared of?� some clear cut examples of what i should be afraid of would be nice.
Nothing if you are a dipshit that only shits and eats. You seem like one as you dont have problem with your personal freedom being violated.

This knowledge is power to the hands of everyone that has it. Its clearly a dangerous thing for only two reasons. GREED and corruption.

Lets say that you allow that today. Then suddenly one day your friend gets shot by LAPD because the cop flipped. You wanna charge the LAPD for that but the state has been doing really rough due to many reasons so they cant handle bad publicity. They approach you  and tell you, we have evidence of you being in posession of drugs or the more obvious, charge you for every illegal movie or mp3 you ve been downloading unless you drop charges.

Lets say that some crazy radical politician emerges that preeches against the privileges of capital and for the rights of middle and lower class. He starts as a crazy guy but as capitalism fails socially he starts gaining audience and being threat to the establishment of republicans and democrats and the lobbies behind them. So Obama calls the NSA and orders a scandal for him in accordance with the manipulated Media. Lets admit it everyone has done embarrassing things on the internet that most of the times dont even describe us as characters. So the NSA man digs out that the dude has watched some video with a girl giving a blowjob to horse or had a message from a friend describing doing many stupid illegal things one night that they were drunk in their 20s. So all this snowballs into a scandal THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS and the public is so regular that eats it.

Basically the goverment and those who hire them have a bigger advantage on you and its "enemies" so this doesnt help democracy but helps totalitarian regimes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:06:43 PM by Tufty »

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
So far this guy didn't "leak" anything.  This story is from MARCH 2012: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1  So far nothing he has said isn't in that article (EDIT: At least I don't think except for the involvement of tech companies - eg Google/Facebook).  Not sure where I stand but I think he'll be prosecuted though.  He also may have endangered himself -- think if some terrorist wanted to kidnap him and threaten to hurt his family for information.  Foolish.  If he had a problem he should have gone to the US gov't not the British news and fled to the commies.

Is our privacy being stole from us or are we just losing our ability to control it?  I bet when messages were sent via horse they were un-Constitutionally intercepted by law enforcement, open and read all the time long after the Constitution was written.

Not defending anything, just discussing.

They've been doing this for 10+ years and no one has come forward (innocent) and reported intrusion into their personal e-mails, etc.  You're more likely to hear about some cop making you search your car without cause.  I understand both sides.  Everything you send electronically, post HERE, text or say over the phone is almost kept forever.

Here's the center, kind of creepy looking.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:03:28 PM by few123456789 »

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
So far this guy didn't "leak" anything.  This story is from MARCH 2012: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1  So far nothing he has said isn't in that article (EDIT: At least I don't think).  Not sure where I stand but I think he'll be prosecuted though.  He also may have endangered himself -- think if some terrorist wanted to kidnap him and threaten to hurt his family for information.  Foolish.  If he had a problem he should have gone to the US gov't not the British news and fled to the commies.

Is our privacy being stole from us or are we just losing our ability to control it?  I bet when messages were sent via horse they were un-Constitutionally intercepted by law enforcement, open and read all the time long after the Constitution was written.

Not defending anything, just discussing.

They've been doing this for 10+ years and no one has come forward (innocent) and reported intrusion into their personal e-mails, etc.  You're more likely to hear about some cop making you search your car without cause.  I understand both sides.  Everything you send electronically, post HERE, text or say over the phone is almost kept forever.

Here's the center, kind of creepy looking.

Here's a link to the five slides that were leaked, Assange is suggesting he will publish the rest...
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/snowden-powerpoint/?viewall=true

I remember reading that article in Wired.  I'm guessing Snowden's leak has more specific information.  He has stated that he is afraid that the program is growing exponentially and will very soon be too big to be turned around; and that he hopes to help inform the public about it so that debate can begin before that point is reached.

Here's another interesting article...
http://www.vice.com/read/the-fbi-wants-to-wiretap-every-us-citizen-online?utm_source=vicefbus

Couple key paragraphs...

It may be true that when the FBI was required to serve warrants for user data directly to tech companies, it may have taken longer to initiate surveillance on a target. However, this process provided an important check on the FBI?s power to acquire said data. If tech companies no longer directly receive warrants for user data beforehand, the only oversight remaining to monitor the use of a wiretap is the FISA court. But, as we've recently discovered with Verizon, the FISC is willing to surreptitiously authorize the collection of millions of innocent Americans? private records. The fact that this is even perceived as constitutional by the court at all, only goes to show how shockingly impaired their interpretation of the Fourth Amendment really is.

Now that we are more aware of what potentially lies in store for our privacy it is the responsibility of the public, the press, and of Congress to openly engage in debates about the level of access that law enforcement should have to our personal data, at any point in time. The notion that ?I'm not doing anything wrong, so why should I care,? is unquestionably inappropriate in this instance. As we have seen from the past, simply entrusting the federal government to act alone with regards to our constitutionally protected right to privacy is a terrible idea. And with the amount of information currently being recorded off of the internet and cellular networks, the impact from a program like PRISM is incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:06:39 PM by chuck d »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
this is in direct conflict with the fourth amendment.  the more i think about it the more infuriating it is.  the fact that people are shrugging it off, even more so.

few123456789

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

Here's a link to the five slides that were leaked, Assange is suggesting he will publish the rest...
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/snowden-powerpoint/?viewall=true

Thanks, I suspected he had to have more at some point.

The more I think about it the more it bothers me too.  Think about it.  In order to get a search warrant from a judge you need probable cause.  Well, once they read the e-mail, they use that as probable cause.  (Even if it's not acceptable evidence, they've read the rest of your stuff, so they'll just use that without your "knowledge").

There is also the poster who made the good point about getting into a little trouble with the law and having your ENTIRE history dug up.  Can you imagine what elections are going to look like at some point in the future?

This definitely violates the 4th Amendment, or could easily violate it if ONE PERSON decides to use it in a wrongful way, and who trusts the government?  Just reading it and not using it against you violates the 4th.  These are some scary police/totalitarian state-level concepts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:56:51 PM by few123456789 »

jerrys_kids

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Obama nailed it.

Everything he said in that video is completely opposite of what he said in his response when questioned about it, I posted the response above. This is just further proof that politicians will say anything to get elected and once they are elected they take money from lobbyist and well funded corporations and when they are actually in office they do whatever it takes to further concentrate the money and power into the hands of the top 1%.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
Ron Paul
June 10, 2013

Last week we saw dramatic new evidence of illegal government surveillance of our telephone calls, and of the National Security Agency?s deep penetration into American companies such as Facebook and Microsoft to spy on us. The media seemed shocked.

Many of us are not so surprised.

Some of us were arguing back in 2001 with the introduction of the so-called PATRIOT Act that it would pave the way for massive US government surveillance ? not targeting terrorists but rather aimed against American citizens. We were told we must accept this temporary measure to provide government the tools to catch those responsible for 9/11. That was nearly twelve years and at least four wars ago.

We should know by now that when it comes to government power-grabs, we never go back to the status quo even when the ?crisis? has passed. That part of our freedom and civil liberties once lost is never regained. How many times did the PATRIOT Act need renewed? How many times did FISA authority need expanded? Why did we have to pass a law to grant immunity to companies who hand over our personal information to the government?

It was all a build-up of the government?s capacity to monitor us.

The reaction of some in Congress and the Administration to last week?s leak was predictable. Knee-jerk defenders of the police state such as Senator Lindsey Graham declared that he was ?glad? the government was collecting Verizon phone records ? including his own ? because the government needs to know what the enemy is up to. Those who take an oath to defend the Constitution from its enemies both foreign and domestic should worry about such statements.
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers tells us of the tremendous benefits of this Big Brother-like program. He promises us that domestic terrorism plots were thwarted, but he cannot tell us about them because they are classified. I am a bit skeptical, however. In April, the New York Times reported that most of these domestic plots were actually elaborate sting operations developed and pushed by the FBI. According to the Times report, ?of the 22 most frightening plans for attacks since 9/11 on American soil, 14 were developed in sting operations.?

Even if Chairman Rogers is right, though, and the program caught someone up to no good, we have to ask ourselves whether even such a result justifies trashing the Constitution. Here is what I said on the floor of the House when the PATRIOT Act was up for renewal back in 2011:

?If you want to be perfectly safe from child abuse and wife beating, the government could put a camera in every one of our houses and our bedrooms, and maybe there would be somebody made safer this way, but what would you be giving up? Perfect safety is not the purpose of government. What we want from government is to enforce the law to protect our liberties.?

What most undermines the claims of the Administration and its defenders about this surveillance program is the process itself. First the government listens in on all of our telephone calls without a warrant and then if it finds something it goes to a FISA court and get an illegal approval for what it has already done! This turns the rule of law and due process on its head.

The government does not need to know more about what we are doing. We need to know more about what the government is doing. We need to turn the cameras on the police and on the government, not the other way around. We should be thankful for writers like Glenn Greenwald, who broke last week?s story, for taking risks to let us know what the government is doing. There are calls for the persecution of Greenwald and the other whistle-blowers and reporters. They should be defended, as their work defends our freedom.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »
You know something is fucked up when Ron Paul, therealdeal, few, and me all agree that something is fucking bullshit.

Peter Smolik's talking gun has been letting us know about this for a while though:
@ :50

Still, fucked up shit.

Oh, and just to argue with few for the sake of it, Hong Kong is nowhere near being a communist place
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

few123456789

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »
You know something is fucked up when Ron Paul, therealdeal, few, and me all agree that something is fucking bullshit.

Peter Smolik's talking gun has been letting us know about this for a while though:
@ :50

Still, fucked up shit.

Oh, and just to argue with few for the sake of it, Hong Kong is nowhere near being a communist place
Yeah, since when do we agree on politics?

I've been to Hong Kong and I understand what you're saying.  Neither is Shanghai for that matter.  A bunch of my friends moved to both cities a couple years after undergrad.  Appreciate the spirit of banter!, but the reality is the PRC is going to do whatever they want with it and nobody can really deny it without joking.  That will become history.

But yeah I get what you're saying.  Thread goes on to PRISM. 

Rand Paul wants to file a class action lawsuit with the cell phone companies and is asking for them to ask their customers to sign as well.  I thought that was a genius first response but don't think it will happen. 

Guess why it won't.  They need public land grants, or in the case of private property FCC permission, to build their cell towers for expanded coverage.  Right now the FCC regulates that you can only have 3-5 carriers per tower (I think, it's been a while since I did a deal in that industry).  Everyone wants to expand coverage, which requires more towers, more land grant approvals, and less regulation per tower.  It all equals more corporate cronyism.  One way to solve it is to get rid of the regulation and let the locals decide how many towers they want instead of Washington, D.C.  That may enable Verizon to give the big middle finger.  Just thinking outloud...

Just one example of how things are just all wrong right now, but doesn't explain Google, et al.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:55:13 AM by few123456789 »

few123456789

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 12:54:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Obama nailed it.

[close]

Everything he said in that video is completely opposite of what he said in his response when questioned about it, I posted the response above. This is just further proof that politicians will say anything to get elected and once they are elected they take money from lobbyist and well funded corporations and when they are actually in office they do whatever it takes to further concentrate the money and power into the hands of the top 1%.
A lot of the top 1% are in the Northern Virginia/DC suburbs now.  The top 1% I know aren't happy.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:27 AM »
What worries me is the acceptance of this.

I colleague today was telling me how if it prevents another Boston bombing, its all OK???

The seeming collusion of Facebook, Google and Apple is lame too.

The idea that the purpose is to tackle 'terrorism' too.

Seems more like a measure to maintain control...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 06:09:12 AM »

Control of? the population so we dont rise up and rebel?

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 06:11:07 AM »
Dear government, 
Those disgusting internets searches I made?  I wuz just lonely.  Also, I was only kidding when I wrote that I was going to mail Luis Suarez anthrax.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Control of? the population so we dont rise up and rebel?

Just look at the riots in the UK last year. The police soon had authority to hack Blackberries. People inciting disorder on FB were also given really stiff prison sentences.

Mass fake accounts on social media sites were used by the US to help encourage dissent and revolt in Egypt, Libya, Syria. Having helped create chaos, I'm sure they want to monitor/control things in the America.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
Does anybody else have more quality examples of what youre afraid the government will do with your data?

few123456789

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
Does anybody else have more quality examples of what youre afraid the government will do with your data?

Think forward, not behind.  I'm out I'm busy.  Read it.  It's the Constitution.  It's LAW.  Know your rights.

4th Amendment...Verbatim
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,
against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:29:54 AM by few123456789 »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »

Umm....watch you jerk off and stuff?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:29:18 AM by chockfullofthat »