Author Topic: Paul Simon's Graceland  (Read 68 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
Paul Simon's Graceland
« on: April 16, 2024, 10:11:13 PM »
Paul Simon's 1986 album Graceland has been regarded as one of the best albums of all time. It broke down racial boundaries and drew influences and collaboration from native African musicians during South African Apartheid. You have probably heard a few songs of it, specifically the hit, "You Can Call Me Al," but the album is much, much, much deeper than that single.

"In the 1980s, recording in South Africa was dangerous, and the United Nations had imposed a cultural boycott for its policy of apartheid, or forced racial segregation. The boycott forced states to "prevent all cultural, academic, sporting and other exchanges" with South Africa, and ordered writers, artists, musicians and "other personalities" to boycott it. Nonetheless, Simon resolved to go to South Africa. He later told The New York Times: "I knew I would be criticized if I went, even though I wasn't going to record for the government ... or to perform for segregated audiences. I was following my musical instincts in wanting to work with people whose music I greatly admired."

"Graceland features an eclectic mixture of musical styles including pop, a cappella, zydeco, isicathamiya, rock, and mbaqanga. Mbaqanga, or "township jive", originated as the street music of Soweto, South Africa. The album was influenced by the work of the South African musicians Johnny Clegg and Sipho Mchunu, and their band Juluka's Zulu-Western pop crossover music. Juluka was South Africa's first integrated pop band. Simon includes thanks to Clegg, Juluka, and Juluka's producer Hilton Rosenthal in the liner notes. He included American "roots" influences with tracks featuring zydeco musicians such as Rockin' Dopsie and Tex-Mex musicians.

Graceland alternates between playful and more serious songs. Simon thought of it as like a play: "As in a play, the mood should keep changing. A serious song may lead into an abstract song, which may be followed by a humorous song." On many songs, Simon and Halee employ a Synclavier to "enhance" the acoustic instruments, creating an electronic "shadow."

///

I wanted to spotlight this amazing album with its own thread as I believe it is essential listening when it comes to classic or, "all time," albums. It speaks of Paul's experience in Africa, his own experience in his first marriage and having his first child, and the line between poverty and wealth. It is one of the few albums that has brought me to tears; Dark Side of The Moon and White Denim's Last Day of Summer being a few others. I suggest sitting and listening to it from start to finish if you have the time to.

From, "Graceland,":

"She comes back to tell me she's gone
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed
As if I'd never noticed
The way she brushed her hair from her forehead
And she said, "losing love
Is like a window in your heart
Everybody sees you're blown apart
Everybody sees the wind blow"

This is the first track of the album. I'm not sure if it will link to the playlist, but I hope this thread gets through to someone and they can experience this masterpiece.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 22
Re: Paul Simon's Graceland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 12:07:12 PM »
An all-time favorite. I keep the cd I "borrowed" from my dad like 20 years ago in my car at all times.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
Re: Paul Simon's Graceland
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 12:41:50 PM »
Bittersweet, particularly the titular track.