Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191191 times)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Hardcore Thread
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
The old hardcore thread seems to have disappeared and I don't know how or why, so let's start 'er up again.

Somebody just put up this Bloodpact/Varsity split from 1999. Bloodpact was one of the raddest bands from Michigan, in my opinion. Super fast, intelligent, and pissed off. Their singer was in the 90s metalcore band Earthmover, and went on to form Ruination (with Chris Colohan from Cursed, Mike Haliechuk from Fucked Up, and Ebro Virumbrales from Los Crudos) and some other bands. Varsity, on the other half of the split is more youth crewy, still pretty good, but the Bloodpact side is gold. Get on it because it's rare and it's dope.

http://michigangraveyard.blogspot.com/2013/06/bloodpact-varsity-split.html

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dq61h1lsiydko5u/Split.rar

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »
Hoax
Ceremony
Pissed Jeans
Salvation
The Rival Mob

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
I just registered after about 5 years of Slap forum lurk status to thank you for this.  I have the original Varsity demo but never had this split and the youth crew completist in me was dying.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »
To keep this rolling, check out Will to Die from Knoxville.  They are on tour now and about to drop an EP on Bad Ground Records.

Will To Die - Anger Through Solitude (True Desolation)

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
hi guys

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
This week I have been on a crusty phase and Rifle Diet kills it.  Rager female vocals and super tight D beat.

http://riflediet.bandcamp.com/

LambShank

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »
somebody mentioned purity control in this thread a while ago and turned me onto them, i'll always appreciate that.
Purity Control - She's Lost Control (Joy Division cover) @ dEfSuP
Purity Control - She's Lost Control (Joy Division cover) @ dEfSuP
deep wound rules pretty hard too. J Mascis is my hero.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »

Any body from here going to this over the weekend? Sadly I am missing Thursdays show but I will be at Friday, Sat and maybe Sunday. I will also be skating the Berkley park during the mornings.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:24 PM »
In honor of a beautiful summer weekend, I'm going with this.  Have always thought Warzone would make the best video track.

Warzone- In The Mirror

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Im from belgium and i grew up in the middle of Europe's straight edge Mecca.

H8000 hardcore was 90s hardcore heavily influenced by slayer, integrity ...

REGRESSION:
Regression - Beacon

CONGRESS:
Congress - Sinking in sin

LIAR:
Liar - Invictus - New Born Fire

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Killer contribution above by Distant Rumors.  In the mid to late 90's I LIVED for H8000 HC.  I know I jammed a Congress hoodie for most of '97 and early '98.  I would love to see all that Goodlife/Genet stuff re-mastered and re-released properly although I know there is probably not a huge market for it.

Going deeper, 2 more H8000 bands I sweated were Spirit of Youth and Sektor.

Spirit Of Youth - Desolation

Sektor - Debase

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:38:11 AM »
H8000, Goodlife Records, goddamn that was the fucking time.

good call and gnars for you.

Arkangel - Dead Man Walking(1999) FULL ALBUM

(this is an amazing channel by the way)

also, this: one of the best things to grace my ears, to this day:

In Dying Days - Life As A Balancing Act (Full Album)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
Does anyone remember KINDRED?

Loved that band. The singer often went skating with us...

Remasters of those old records would be awesome. But if you look at what goodlife focuses on these days... I doubt it will ever happen :-(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:40:35 PM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
H8000, Goodlife Records, goddamn that was the fucking time.

good call and gnars for you.

Thanks for the gnars!   Arkangel were sick too.  "Prayers Upon Deaf Ears" got heavy plays.

Does anyone remember KINDRED?

Loved that band. The singer often went skating with us...

Kindred were sick.  I saw Culture in very early '97 in Duluth GA and got a fresh copy of the Culture/Kindred split straight out of the box from Europe.  Kindred always had that killer Despair kind of vibe.  Here's that whole split.

Kindred / Culture - Split (1997)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »

Any body from here going to this over the weekend? Sadly I am missing Thursdays show but I will be at Friday, Sat and maybe Sunday. I will also be skating the Berkley park during the mornings.

Did you go to this, Shawn? I've been home in Michigan, and as happy as I am to be here, I was bummed to miss Los Crudos and Talk is Poison reunions.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »
Alright, for this weekend, my theme is militant vegan straightedge bands that sounded like Morbid Angel.

First up were Upheaval on Eulogy.  Just full on metal but with some talent for the style and polish that many of their predecessors lacked.

Upheaval - Blood Ritual

Jumping forward a few years were Prayer for Cleansing from NC, who were sort of the endnote to this genre and who possessed elements of what would go on to be "metalcore" while still keeping it real.  I was on like a mini hiatus from hardcore when these dudes toured and I regret that to this day.

Prayer for Cleansing - Chalice of Repentance

Finally, no discussion of Morbid Angel inspired vegan metal could be considered complete without mentioning Day of Suffering, also from NC on xCatalystx and quite frankly the pinnacle of this whole category.  From the name, to the lyrics, to the riffs, this is just 90's militancy at its peak.  I remember buying this the week it came out based on Jon Dudek's description in the Very Distribution catalog alone and being blown away for weeks.  I saw them later that year in ATL and then SC (I think) and it was pure mayhem.  Always kind of a one hit wonder as not soon after this album came out they quit playing live and demoed some black metal and alt rock stuff that was never properly released.  

DAY OF SUFFERING - Engulfed In Darkness (Catalyst Records 1997 USA)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:04:46 AM by Live Fast Johnny »

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you go to this, Shawn? I've been home in Michigan, and as happy as I am to be here, I was bummed to miss Los Crudos and Talk is Poison reunions.

It was awesome

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
prayer for cleansing! please keep posting, love your choices.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
prayer for cleansing! please keep posting, love your choices.

Hey thanks!  I will keep it up.  I am enjoying everyone else's too.

ToLiveaLie

• Rep: -1
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Die Kreuzen - Die Kreuzen (Full Album, Vinyl)

This might be a bit obvious, but it's also one of the greatest hardcore records ever. I'm also going to see them in Minneapolis with Negative Approach, The Melvins, and Mudhoney this weekend (I'd urge everyone else within the tri state area to do so as well), so I think it's appropriate.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 05:45:23 AM »
this stilll needs to be more known:

Dead And Gone - Wires .TV Baby 1995... East Bay Hardcore 90's Hardcore Lost Gems.

dug up an old angel hair/bare minimum split with this favorite

Angel Hair - Bedroom scene from communion

saw this band live not too long ago, it was pretty epic

Primitive Rites - Who's next?! & Pulling Teeth (Live - Malm? Hardcore Festival 2012)

No comply

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
I saw Needles last night and they killed it. They are playing some west coast dates right now. They have members from Los Crudos, Talk Is Poison and Limp Wrist. You can hear their latest 7" here: http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/desesperaci-n-7

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
Angel Hair.  Whoa.  Had not thought about them in forever.  Great mention.

I will do my normal post of older stuff this weekend but wanted to mention that Minus https://www.facebook.com/pages/MINUS/117170481643495 has a new album they are streaming on Facebook and they and their label BBB have an authorized download link at http://www.mediafire.com/download/726bueesjuavcqf/Minus_LP.zip to grab their new s/t album.  I don't dig a ton of newer HC bands but this delivers perfect HARDcore without being dorky or metal.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Alright, in this weekend's collection post, I'm going with Vegan Edge bands from Syracuse NOT named Earth Crisis.  In some cases here we're talking about predecessors, in others peers.  All with some semblance of that trademark Upstate crunchy chugga chugga sound and off the charts angry animal rights/environmentally conscious lyrics.

First up is Framework, which was 4/5 of Earth Crisis pre-ExC.  Really solid mid tempo hardcore that was actually pretty advanced for the very early '90's.  To my ears you can hear some Hardline Records influences (Raid, Vegan Reich) but it's still its own deal.

Framework Broken Mirror

Next, the Framework members not in ExC, most notably Shane Durgee, formed Gatekeeper and took that sound way farther.  Gatekeeper did only a demo and a few shows but made a huge impact with their much more up front metal influence and in your face Hardline imagery/logos/samples.  The sound quality is good on this for being a hastily recorded demo and they are one of those bands you always wish you had heard more of.

Gatekeeper - Vigilante

Separately, there were bands influenced by Earth Crisis' All Out War and Firestorm that formed and played around Syracuse during the '94-96 era.  One of the best were Soulstice, who were fairly well known due to their signature group shout chorus parts, dive bombs and overall metal direction.  "Nothing But Despair" is a perfect example of this scene completely departing from a traditional hardcore sound.

Soulstice - Nothing but Despair

As a bonus I'm throwing in another Soulstice track, "Turn Away" off their Dark Hour EP.  It is of less quality than their later stuff, but since this is SLAP, I couldn't neglect it due to the sheer brilliance of the clothing choices the band members wore in the promo photo.  Those red jeans sum up this era more than a million words could.

Soulstice - Turn Away

And as usual, I saved my favorite for the end, which in this case will be Green Rage.  Just ultra militant Syracuse chugging perfection.  Get the hair bleach, neck beads and messenger bags full of pamphlets/vegan Soft Batch, this one is good to go.

Green Rage - Sea of blood

xeric716x

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
No Tolerance, Mindset and Nails are best bands in hardcore right now

SHAWN COMBOVER

• Rep: 14
  • WHAT A FUCKING WRINKLE DRINKER
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
Hello Pricks - Sick of It All

Saw them recently with suicidal tendencies and boy would i hate to go on after them... Suicidal did good and all but nobody can quite get it going like sick of it all. so much energy.
badass.
doublesteveburger: I'm gonna stick to being sad and skating with my poor friends.
busey: he's like an avenged sevenfold song come to life who wandered around living off energy drinks.

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 07:45:59 AM »

Mindset is definitely the best HC band going right now and No Tolerance is right behind them.  Expire and Backtrack have their moments too.

xeric716x

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mindset is definitely the best HC band going right now and No Tolerance is right behind them.?  Expire and Backtrack have their moments too.

Backtrack is cool live, dont dig the records too much. i could never really get into Expire

xeric716x

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
is anyone going to TIHC?

i have a ticket for Saturday but im still unsure if im going to go

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »
Facedown: Belgian vegan straight edge band.

They were quite famous back in the day.

Facedown - wartime

Vitality H8000 straightedge
Vitality - Slaughterchamber

CONGRESS H8000

CONGRESS - Decembers Blackest Tears Video.wmv

SPINELESS H8000
Spineless--Human disgrace