Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191181 times)

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 01, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
I've seen some interviews with Sam McPheeters where he's addressed his points in the SOIA debate as kind of ridiculous and dismisses a lot of Born Against's general contrarian attitude. I love Born Against as a band and as lyricists for taking a sidestep from the traditional tough guy stuff, and I can't help but think he seems regretful of the band in general for stuff like the debate and it's kind of a bummer.

It reminds me of Against Me! where Laura Jane Grace seems dismissive of former anarchist politics as a result of bad experiences in the punk scene. Can't you just lean in radical directions with a practical approach instead of taking absurd absolutist stances on everything?
Not when you're 18-23 years old. Face it, we all did this to some degree. Despite being one of the greatest Hardcore bands of all time, they were stupid kids. That's really all you can say about that whole situation. It was pretty inevitable that they look back at some point and think "What the fuck was I doing?" Charles, Sam, Adam, and Lou have all publicly condemned the situation but it's still fun to listen to.
Calling Against Me Anarchist is like calling Chris Brown a metal head: it was a fashion accessory and she realized how stupid it looked. You grow up, get embarrassed, and move on.

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #361 on: January 02, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
born against we're the fucking best and the message is as relevant today as ever:

"$5 An Hour"

See the white wreckage the ones who couldn't afford to leave the white pride
working poor who are really live and work with the ones we all hate who can
remember when their neighborhood looked brighter but somehow forget that
Italians used to be niggers and the Irish were the spics so at 0 years old
they eat shit for $5 an hour and just don't make the connections It makes the
first generation turn over in their immigrant graves - but what can you do?
See union local Uncle Joe, the ones who proved the American Dream can fuck
you harder without a color, As lost as can be when commercials come on tv for
insurance and cars and vacations, All the things white people are entitled to
as the fruit of this nation's lysol douched womb See the white wreckage ask
what the fuck is wrong with me.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
McPheeters rules. Saw him do some spoken word a few years back and it was great.

Here is a little spammy/self-promotion: my band No Faith has an LP coming out on Iron Lung Records in May.
Power Violence/Grind/Noise/Power Electronics/Sludge shit.
For fans of Man is the Bastard, Gasp, His Hero is Gone, Crossed Out, etc.
Ex-members of Vaccine, Orchid, Ampere, Discordance Axis, Municipal Waste, Noise Nomads, and about one million other bands.

Preview track/Album art up here: http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/forced-subservience-lp-lungs-094
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

booty

« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
McPheeters rules. Saw him do some spoken word a few years back and it was great.

Here is a little spammy/self-promotion: my band No Faith has an LP coming out on Iron Lung Records in May.
Power Violence/Grind/Noise/Power Electronics/Sludge shit.
For fans of Man is the Bastard, Gasp, His Hero is Gone, Crossed Out, etc.
Ex-members of Vaccine, Orchid, Ampere, Discordance Axis, Municipal Waste, Noise Nomads, and about one million other bands.

Preview track/Album art up here: http://ironlungpv.bandcamp.com/album/forced-subservience-lp-lungs-094

I'm a PV nerd so naturally i back this sick shit. I definitely hear the HHIG influence. Hit me up if there's ever plans to tour through the dirty south and i can help book. Here's the PV band I do.

https://criminalslang.bandcamp.com/
FFO: Despise You songs on the Possessed to Skate comp

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #364 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
Nice, love Iron Lung records, one of my favorite current bands is also on there, Acrylics

booty

« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Nice, love Iron Lung records, one of my favorite current bands is also on there, Acrylics

Acrylics literally left my house a little while ago. They are on tour with Fussy and played a house show i booked last night. Shit went off. Incredible band. I fed them a steady diet of skate videos and a girl traveling with them is like "hey thats Ben" when Hockey II came on. Said he dated her sister. She was like "I love Ben & Stu". Spirit Quest was blowing those dudes minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTG2fX-2mso
Fussy Demo sounds like Acrylics trying to play Coneheads style

got a sick new Acrylics l/s too.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #366 on: January 06, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
^damn fussy is sick. does totally have that mark winters/coneheads vibe goin on. i've been disconnected and not keeping up on any punk for the past year or so but this is tight. thank you

damn just saw fussy is coming through next week but my friend got me tix to the welcome premier on the same night :(

this album never goes outta style

Christian Death - Only Theatre Of Pain (Full Album)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:39:13 AM by habby »

« Reply #367 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
http://ironlungrecords.bigcartel.com/product/gas-chamber-hemorrhaging-light-lp-flexi-w-download

A couple years old now, but this is the best Hardcore record released this decade so far, in my humble opinion. But yeah, Acrylics is fucking tight. Can't wait for their LP that's supposed to come out this year.

booty

« Reply #368 on: January 06, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
speaking of Coneheads/Mark Winters related:

this is all the previously released Coneheads material with some new interludes and less compression on the mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbvceU38maY

also not sure if Urochromes has been mentioned in this thread. Definitely my favorite release from 2016. Their videos are lit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4tnCN08f0

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #369 on: January 06, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Acrylics literally left my house a little while ago. They are on tour with Fussy and played a house show i booked last night. Shit went off. Incredible band. I fed them a steady diet of skate videos and a girl traveling with them is like "hey thats Ben" when Hockey II came on. Said he dated her sister. She was like "I love Ben & Stu". Spirit Quest was blowing those dudes minds.

Mark the singer of Acrylics is a nice guy, I have seen them a few times in Sacramento and Oakland, saw one of their first shows and they just keep getting better.
I will check out Fussy, thanks, I love the Coneheads :)

booty

« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mark the singer of Acrylics is a nice guy, I have seen them a few times in Sacramento and Oakland, saw one of their first shows and they just keep getting better.

have you seen The World yet? from the Bay?

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

have you seen The World yet? from the Bay?

No I have not, will try and check em out.

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2017, 02:01:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mph5EaHAqYs

Probably already been posted but I'm really into Sect at the minute.
Chris Colohan (Cursed, Left for dead, The swarm) James Chang (Catharsis) Scott Crouse (Earth Crisis),  Ian Edwards (Earth Crisis) Andrew Hurley (Fall Out Boy, Racetraitor, Vegan reich)

The_9

« Reply #373 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anyP-9_0t34

Couldn't decided whether to post this here or in the metal thread. Either way it's fucking rad.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:31:17 PM by The_9 »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #374 on: January 09, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mph5EaHAqYs

Probably already been posted but I'm really into Sect at the minute.
Chris Colohan (Cursed, Left for dead, The swarm) James Chang (Catharsis) Scott Crouse (Earth Crisis),  Ian Edwards (Earth Crisis) Andrew Hurley (Fall Out Boy, Racetraitor, Vegan reich)

Dang! I heard about this but never got around to listening to it. I love Catharsis, Racetraitor, and all Chris Colohan bands. This is the classic late 90s dark hardcore I'd hope that group of people would put together.

Also, the last link you posted doesn't work.

The_9

« Reply #375 on: January 09, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
Ah shit, fixed now thanks. Sometimes hard to remember all the different ways various forums post video. And yeah Sect are amazing. I saw a live video where they played Carcass as the intro so knew they'd be banging. They don't seem to have to same live presence as Cursed though unfortunately, guess that comes with age.

Edit: Here's the link http://hate5six.com/player.php?album=4211121
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:30:14 PM by The_9 »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #376 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
They don't seem to have to same live presence as Cursed though unfortunately, guess that comes with age.

I have a friend who toured with Chris Colohan's old band Ruination. During one set, Colohan disappeared into the crowd within the first song or two. There were still sounds coming from the microphone, and the band was still going, but he wasn't standing out anywhere. My friend checked the bathroom and saw Colohan peeing in the urinal and grumbling the lyrics into the microphone, which was stuffed hands-free in his mouth.

The_9

« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:36 AM »
Unfortunately I didn't get to see Runination or Left for dead play live, but I did see Cursed twice. They are without doubt the best hardcore band I've ever seen live. One is a masterpiece and Colohan is the blueprint for what a hardcore frontman should be imo.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »
Expand Quote
They don't seem to have to same live presence as Cursed though unfortunately, guess that comes with age.
[close]

I have a friend who toured with Chris Colohan's old band Ruination. During one set, Colohan disappeared into the crowd within the first song or two. There were still sounds coming from the microphone, and the band was still going, but he wasn't standing out anywhere. My friend checked the bathroom and saw Colohan peeing in the urinal and grumbling the lyrics into the microphone, which was stuffed hands-free in his mouth.

i need to hang out in the music section more..this post is so good
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

booty

« Reply #379 on: January 11, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
saw Hammerheads (for the 6th time) and Mommy last night. Mommy was nuts.

this band the night before, played one of our house shows
https://holdersscar.bandcamp.com/

The_9

« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1rTehlACgI

My War from Nottingham UK. Could easily be put in either the hardcore or metal thread. So fucking heavy. Probably the most intimidating band I've ever seen live. Sadly no longer around. Contains members of Iron Monkey, Hard to swallow and the Varrukers. Originally featured John Paul Morrow and Mike IX Williams on vocals

booty

« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2017, 05:06:26 PM »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2017, 05:07:08 AM »
Went and saw Violent Reaction's last show last night. Also saw Waste Management, the Flex, Arm's Race, Voorhees and Insist. Arrived after Big Cheese and Rupture, which I wasn't too torn up about, but I would have liked to have seen Unjust. Good show all around anyway. DIY Space for London is a cool venue.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
Went and saw Violent Reaction's last show last night. Also saw Waste Management, the Flex, Arm's Race, Voorhees and Insist. Arrived after Big Cheese and Rupture, which I wasn't too torn up about, but I would have liked to have seen Unjust. Good show all around anyway. DIY Space for London is a cool venue.

Missed Violent Reaction and Arms Race last week in Los Angeles because I mangled my foot an hour beforehand and couldn't stand up. Was planning on coming out of mosh retirement for Arms Race too... bummer.

« Reply #384 on: January 22, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
https://bibhc.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2015

Recently came across this band Bib from Omaha, feeling it.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #385 on: January 22, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1rTehlACgI

My War from Nottingham UK. Could easily be put in either the hardcore or metal thread. So fucking heavy. Probably the most intimidating band I've ever seen live. Sadly no longer around. Contains members of Iron Monkey, Hard to swallow and the Varrukers. Originally featured John Paul Morrow and Mike IX Williams on vocals

Love My War, wrote them about booking them right after they broke up (didn't know) and whoever from the band wrote me back to say they had broken up and thanks for asking about booking and sent me a link to MP3's for all their stuff.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2017, 07:44:50 AM »
Is there a better hardcore band in history than Mob 47?  The discography is 147 songs, and (minus 23 live songs) EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN SONG is a ripper.  No flirting with post-punk or any 'Grave New World'-type metal progression, just complete, 1 minute blasts of feedback savagery. 

Mob 47 - Kärnvapen attack (FULL EP)

« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
Is there a better hardcore band in history than Mob 47?  The discography is 147 songs, and (minus 23 live songs) EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN SONG is a ripper.  No flirting with post-punk or any 'Grave New World'-type metal progression, just complete, 1 minute blasts of feedback savagery. 

Mob 47 - K?rnvapen attack (FULL EP)

Yes there is. Mob 47 rules though.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #388 on: February 04, 2017, 04:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Missed Violent Reaction and Arms Race last week in Los Angeles because I mangled my foot an hour beforehand and couldn't stand up. Was planning on coming out of mosh retirement for Arms Race too... bummer.

Arm's Race were definitely a highlight.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote

Mob 47 - K?rnvapen attack (FULL EP)

[close]

Yes there is. Mob 47 rules though.

well there's definitely better hardcore records... I was just thinking of sheer consistency/amount of songs in their discography; at least of that early/mid 80's era.

maybe this discussion can start leading into european hardcore??? Kaaos and Riistetyt anyone?