Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 191164 times)

animalflesh

Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »
these guys put out my "favorite hardcore record in years" a few years back... they're long done but was pretty stoked to see this semi-decent live footage of them.  From what I've heard they were a force live (well, the singer was) and they're LP still sounds awesome.  Like a mash-up of hardcore, post-punk, and oi

Love this band!

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
Those are all true yeah, but the term hardcore was coined by DOA in 1981.

Although teen idles were admittedly influenced by bad brains, they both moved into hardcore punk in 1979

So what genre would you call black dots  (78)?  Also about the early misfits, is that hardcore?, I don't know what hardcore is cause I haven't listened to any of the classic bands yet that get mentioned ( i dunno "sick of it all" or no 'cro mags' is the one I was thinking.)  Any way, those early misfits songs sounded more like maybe elvis-horror-punk (is that a thing?)   Reminds me of more like Roky Erickson than 'hardcore'.  I saw DOA once. ( Edit; I love these music 'who was first' discussions but I know most people think they're petty so I appologize if it's seems lame)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:34:51 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #452 on: November 19, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
the original SS tho? shit was lightning fast when you consider when it was released

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: November 21, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »
the original SS tho? shit was lightning fast when you consider when it was released

Their 1st shit was 79.  I'm not trying to take anything away from bands.  But it seems all this shit came from the bad brains 1st release in 78 and hype at the time about their live performances.  It made it's impact but they just were calling it punk.  Bad brains are visionaries imo, like joni mitchell, thunders or sly stone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:19:27 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
Middle Class "Out Of Vogue" 1978

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:08 PM »
Middle Class "Out Of Vogue" 1978
  Wow!, just checked it out, there you go.  edit wait hold the door I just checked wikapedia and Middle Class released their fist shit locally and it was 1979, blogs are the only place on the net saying it was released in 78 but they also say middlemen were the 'first hc band' so I think they're distorting the realease date. Besides all these bands are shit musically compared to the bad brains who existed as a jazz band for years prior to their punk phase.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:48:38 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #456 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Their 1st shit was 79.  I'm not trying to take anything away from bands.  But it seems all this shit came from the bad brains 1st release in 78 and hype at the time about their live performances.  It made it's impact but they just were calling it punk.  Bad brains are visionaries imo, like joni mitchell, thunders or sly stone.
well there you go then, I knew it was close but how close? Like would the OG SS even have had copies of bad brains release at the time? Anyway, for the most part bad brains pioneered it, it's just a pity that their homophobia tarnished their legacy over the years.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: November 22, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
well there you go then, I knew it was close but how close? Like would the OG SS even have had copies of bad brains release at the time? Anyway, for the most part bad brains pioneered it, it's just a pity that their homophobia tarnished their legacy over the years.

I think this is the thing.  Aparently some famous hc band was kind enough to let the bad brains stay at there house.  The brains found out the singer was gay and vandalized the house before they left.  The scene was small to a degree and people were super pissed.  They kinda 'got the boot' sort to speak from the hard core scene  and I feel they don't get the credit for inventing hard core to this day because of that trangression.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #458 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think this is the thing.  Aparently some famous hc band was kind enough to let the bad brains stay at there house.  The brains found out the singer was gay and vandalized the house before they left.  The scene was small to a degree and people were super pissed.  They kinda 'got the boot' sort to speak from the hard core scene  and I feel they don't get the credit for inventing hard core to this day because of that trangression.
Wasn't that the Big Boys from Texas?

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Wasn't that the Big Boys from Texas?

Yeah, MDC was involved too. Dave Dictor spread the word of Bad Brains homophobia after that and opened a lot of people's eyes. One of the dudes, may have been HR, apparently stole a bunch of money they owed Big Boys for weed and just left a letter that said "burn in hell bloodclot faggots".
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
New Vile Gash LP, coming soon!

animalflesh

« Reply #461 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
It was HR from most accounts that I've read

Fuck that dude, Big Boys rule.

I would consider the horror business single and the rest of the songs on that EP (78) to be hardcore punk.

I just think the misfits had a lot to do with it and people don't recognize it because of how lame they are now...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #462 on: December 07, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
damn, bummed I haven't looked at this thread in awhile and missed out on some of these posts.  That Middle Class EP is one of, if not my favorite punk record of all time.  I had always heard there was a debate about what came first, Middle Class or the SS single.

Hmm... I wouldn't really consider any Misfits 'hardcore' until Walk Among Us came out.  I love everything they did (pre-reunion, obviously), but it's pretty straight forward punk rock.  Then again I've heard people say the same thing about those early Black Flag singles so a strict definition is up for debate.

Lately been digging some Japanese hardcore craziness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhMvC0i7xcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhB5zqicMKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQsExMvvM_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16JxKB9DsMo

and this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excXzGF4AJU

animalflesh

« Reply #463 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »
Maybe I'm biased but I thought the uptempo counting with the heavily blown out guitars and shouting was like a proto hardcore way of doing punk

Aso the intensity of their live shows

Love literally all of the bands u linked

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »
that 86 mentality 7" was so great. the intro always gets me goin. all the bands that tried ripping the skin oi hc after 86 were garbage. I.E. Freedom

Grind King Rims

« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2017, 10:28:21 AM »
New Vile Gash LP, coming soon!

I end up gnar'ing you every time I come in this thread.

Matter of fact, everyone's getting gnars

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
that 86 mentality 7" was so great. the intro always gets me goin. all the bands that tried ripping the skin oi hc after 86 were garbage. I.E. Freedom

check out PMS 84 from Portland.  great UK 82' style oi/hc... also Wartribe from Oakland.

Funny I was thinking about this today... what is considered the first HC band with that ultra-fast, hardcore style?  I know "Out of Vogue" the song is considered the first HC song, but the Middle Class weren't really a fast hardcore band (btw the stuff they released after 'Out of Vogue' is great post-punk). 

Bad Brains maybe?  Some of those early DC records like the Untouchables?  I am ashamed that this isn't something I already know... or maybe I do and I'm forgetting the obvious answer.

Grampa

« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

check out PMS 84 from Portland.  great UK 82' style oi/hc... also Wartribe from Oakland.

Funny I was thinking about this today... what is considered the first HC band with that ultra-fast, hardcore style?  I know "Out of Vogue" the song is considered the first HC song, but the Middle Class weren't really a fast hardcore band (btw the stuff they released after 'Out of Vogue' is great post-punk). 

Bad Brains maybe?  Some of those early DC records like the Untouchables?  I am ashamed that this isn't something I already know... or maybe I do and I'm forgetting the obvious answer.

I don’t think there is an obvious answer to this.

« Reply #468 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess if speed's the main factor being considered, "Out of Vogue" should probably be considered the first, though honestly, I bet there was other stuff elsewhere, domestically or globally, that came out before it that either didn't get released or no one ever heard that could've been considered Hardcore. Either way "Pay to Cum" and "Nervous Breakdown", which was  released the same month as "Out of Vogue", shit all over it.

« Reply #469 on: December 09, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
It's been too long since anyone's posted anything about Disclose, so here we go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQrdIEQfwQ

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2017, 06:41:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I guess if speed's the main factor being considered, "Out of Vogue" should probably be considered the first, though honestly, I bet there was other stuff elsewhere, domestically or globally, that came out before it that either didn't get released or no one ever heard that could've been considered Hardcore. Either way "Pay to Cum" and "Nervous Breakdown", which was  released the same month as "Out of Vogue", shit all over it.

"out of vogue" was 1979.  The only sources saying it was 78 are blogs trying to say middleclass was the first hardcore band.  Black dots was before everything your mentioning. Teen Idles came after too.  People do not like swallowing that this whole thing is from the Bad Brains.  Everyone in the scene feels justified enough in their efforts to re-envision history regarding who the first hard core band was because the bad brains were known homo phobic assholes.  But the truth is the truth.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:58:42 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Grampa

« Reply #471 on: December 10, 2017, 08:10:43 AM »
Where are you getting this information that Black Dots was released in 1978? Wikipedia says it wasn’t recorded until 1979. I can only find YouTube videos saying it was 1978.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: December 10, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Where are you getting this information that Black Dots was released in 1978? Wikipedia says it wasn’t recorded until 1979. I can only find YouTube videos saying it was 1978.

And... Out of Vogue was released in January of 1979, recorded in 1978.  Black Dots was recorded in 79, and wasn’t even released until 1996 (not taking away from how amazing and ahead of their time they were.... apparently they’re big influence was the Ramones which shows how original they were).

I’m sure there was other stuff recorded around or before... like the above mentioned SS.  Shit, Discharge was playing in 77, 78 but didn’t release anything till 80.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
  So I was compleately wrong and went off on a tirade of misinformation.  Sorry about that.

« Reply #474 on: December 10, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Also, do people still really care about the Bad Brain’s homophobia? I’m not trying to justify it, and it’s great to stand up for your convictions, but I know a lot of gay Hardcore folks and in all my years, the issue’s never come up. Rock for Light, the Roir Cassette, Black Dots and I Against I have always just been considered mandatory by everyone.

« Reply #475 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And... Out of Vogue was released in January of 1979, recorded in 1978.  Black Dots was recorded in 79, and wasn’t even released until 1996 (not taking away from how amazing and ahead of their time they were.... apparently they’re big influence was the Ramones which shows how original they were).

I’m sure there was other stuff recorded around or before... like the above mentioned SS.  Shit, Discharge was playing in 77, 78 but didn’t release anything till 80.
Apparently Discharge started off by playing the Clash rip off type stuff. I can only imagine what that sounded like.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: December 10, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
Also, do people still really care about the Bad Brain’s homophobia? I’m not trying to justify it, and it’s great to stand up for your convictions, but I know a lot of gay Hardcore folks and in all my years, the issue’s never come up. Rock for Light, the Roir Cassette, Black Dots and I Against I have always just been considered mandatory by everyone.

yeah I've never really heard it brought up either.  the best thing to come out of that situation is the band Bloodclot Faggots from Australia putting out one of the better hardcore singles of the decade.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Apparently Discharge started off by playing the Clash rip off type stuff. I can only imagine what that sounded like.

well hopefully it went over better than the Grave New World-tour!

http://truepunkmetal.blogspot.com/2012/07/discharge-live-at-farm-in-sf-sept-7th.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Sw8U_mxzI

animalflesh

« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
Oh god no

« Reply #478 on: December 11, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah I've never really heard it brought up either.  the best thing to come out of that situation is the band Bloodclot Faggots from Australia putting out one of the better hardcore singles of the decade.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

http://truepunkmetal.blogspot.com/2012/07/discharge-live-at-farm-in-sf-sept-7th.html

Christ, those vocals.

EDIT: the second worst sellout record ever:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXdus9AApo
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:13:09 PM by IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: December 11, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Christ, those vocals.

EDIT: the second worst sellout record ever:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXdus9AApo

the SSD footage from this era is hilarious.

true confession:  I actually kinda like Grave New World BUT only if you think of it as a glam/punk album, and try to forget that it's Discharge.  From a glam/punk perspective it's not bad... kinda like a more dark Guns and Roses or Hanoi Rocks. 

The vocals are horrific, which make it sound a little more punk than say the above mentioned bands.  Like I said, forget it's Discharge and a completely different genre and it's not bad.

another "try-and-bury-it" album from that era, Bad Religion's 'Into the Unknown'.  They were never that great, a few decent songs, but I feel like they're more at home with this weird new wave proggy rock album.  The Emerson, Lake, and Palmer-style synth noodling is hilarious.  They tried to forget it existed for years but thanks (no-thanks?) to youtube it's readily available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK_vHFs-Tz0

when all those hardcore bands tried to rock out and be better musicians it had hilariously disastrous results.  I think Black Flag was the only band of that era that progressed into something kinda interesting.