Author Topic: New appleyard part  (Read 8602 times)

Particleboard Penguin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: New appleyard part
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
I liked the part, but I can't knock the feeling that he and Element just put this out to have people know he is still alive. I don't believe in the kill yourself mentality for filming but shit........Mariano, Montoya, Lorenzo, Reynolds and others years older than him cranked out way better stuff in shorter time.

Those people all came out with their own parts, completely separate from this one. There is no need for comparison. Also it's subjective that they "cranked out way better stuff."
Does a persons part always have to be the best part of all time?
You can always say "x person did x better than x" Just watch the part and decide if you enjoyed it rather than judge it against the grand scale of every part ever.

But yes this kinda was a part just to let people know that he's still there. Remind people why they like Appleyard. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 140
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
The bump to back tail...

I peed a little

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

HIggs Bawson

• Rep: 7
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
Back tail fakie on that wall... amazing.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
This part was awesome, Appleyard is really still killing it. I think people forget how hard it actually is to do tricks like nollieflip crooks even on a small ledge. Go try a few, now remember that he's STILL doing those on hubbas.

Also, this is how Appleyard skates. He's not going to backside 360 a 16 like Moose or somebody. Skateboarding is about how you do things and style, not stair counting.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
I'm having trouble finding the words to explain how amazing that was. Mark Appleyard has such an original style that just makes you want to go skate. I'm happy he's still putting out shit that is this good. That fakie flip was fucking bananas.

jimi420

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2013, 12:58:15 PM »
What I want to know is how is a white dude from Canada that drives a BMW and skates for one of the most mallrat skateboard companies a soul rebel?

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
What I want to know is how is a white dude from Canada that drives a BMW and skates for one of the most mallrat skateboard companies a soul rebel?

just go with it, bro. It's not that serious.

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
I remember being in 7th grade and popping in Sorry and its yellow VHS tape for the first time. Besides the videos from THPS, I had never watched an actual skate video before. Mark Appleyard had the first part and it blew me away.

I will always have a place in my heart for Appleyard footy, and this part was no exception.

jimi420

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just go with it, bro. It's not that serious.
It came off a little too serious on my part. I just want to know how most of these online parts get their names

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
Applebutters.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

lucidreamer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »
I liked it. It just needed a more classic song, everybody remembers Placebo and Hole songs from Flip

• Rep: 12
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

ricosito

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Applebutters.
[close]

what?

Just go with it, bro. It's not that serious.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
It's rare that a dude on his level doesn't go to Spain, New York, and/or China to film.  I found it refreshing.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

outside of the slow mo abuse, i thought the part was rad. dude makes skateboarding look fun.  there is something about this kind of skating that feels accessible and that's what gets me amped to skate. i would watch "soul rebel" over evan smith's "douchey gay adventures in bullshitland" any day.

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »

outside of the slow mo abuse, i thought the part was rad. dude makes skateboarding look fun.  there is something about this kind of skating that feels accessible and that's what gets me amped to skate. i would watch "soul rebel" over evan smith's "douchey gay adventures in bullshitland" any day.

What? Evan smith rips even though his band is pretty terrible.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
It's rare that a dude on his level doesn't go to Spain, New York, and/or China to film.  I found it refreshing.

there were a couple of japan clips in there

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What? Evan smith rips even though his band is pretty terrible.

Just go with it, bro. It's not that serious.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2013, 05:08:45 AM »
that was an amazing part, people often forget that mark set reset the standards of modern footage production. churning out multiple clips and parts, technical, gnarly, fast and groundbreaking footage.

remember when every 411 or digital had at least 5 "throwaway" appleyard classics in a montage?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
Skating was good, but I think it needed to be cut to trap music, with the fist bumps changed to b-roll of beamers, rolexes, and stacks of cash to really capture Mark's essence.

Did anyone else want to have a seizure from the footage from one of the cameras they used in shooting the footage at the start of the part? I think it's the same one they used for those Real 'pushing' clips. Maybe it was watching it on Vimeo with my phone, or maybe that thing is not a good skate camera.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
Weird how they used Ryan Gosling's band for the song. It wasn't the best fit but I like that song

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »
I liked it  :) its good to see someone who is not trying to outdo everyone else and win skateboarding, but just focusing on making it look good. (and to everyone disappointed and hating don't forget he won SOTY and he did that crazy kf bs tail bigspin out on a handrail! Appleyard doesn't need to move the boundaries anymore, he has paid his dues, so it's time for other people to oneup skating if that's what we need)

BlueBlurSpeedsBy

• Rep: -42
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
Big appleyard fan here (sorry was the first video i ever saw), and I was impressed with the part. However, the song was horrible, and for me, the track is essential.  I mean yeah, the skateboarding is mind blowing, but what makes parts good is a combination of amazing skating and good music, and it really determines the replay value.  I really miss the days when skate parts had catchy, fast paced rock or punk or some chilled out 90's hip hop.  I cannot take anymore of this hipster folk crap, it totally kills the vibe.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
Expand Quote
those flips into the ditch were insane, imagine eating shit at the bottom kink.

besides that, good part but nothing Mickey Papa couldnt do.
[close]
*Micky Papa's legacy will forever be known as the guy who got in the way of retired Heath Kirchart, and fell down (1:20):

Always love seeing this.  Cry me a river Heath.  One of your fans got in your way.