Author Topic: Need help with new set up!  (Read 940 times)

woczlf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Need help with new set up!
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »
Hi there,

I?m skating for a while and until now, I used to skateboarding on some shitty pre-assembled sets. But now, I want something more serious, so I decided to create my new set up by myself, but I?m not really confident with my knowledge.

I?m thinking about:

Deck - Enjoi or Plan B - Probably aroud 8? (I?m over 6 ft. tall and I have 12 foot)
Trucks - Independent STage IX polished standard 139
Wheels - Ricta - 53/55 mm, hard one
Bearings -  Some ABEC 7

Please, can you write down your ideas about this set up and of course some tips or better alternatives? I prefer street and flat skating.

Thanks a lot!

ben3350

• Rep: -156
Re: Need help with new set up!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:43 AM »
Honestly, it's not really that big of a deal. Especially if you're just getting away from skating completes.

For the most part, board companies all have the same shit. Yes, there are different concave and sizes and everything, but nothing is necessarily better than the rest.

Since you're not very experienced with different kinds of boards, then you don't really know what you like so now is the time to experiment.

I've skated both plan b and enjoi, they are both decent boards. I suggest you find a graphic you like and go for it.

Board size is what's really going to matter. Considering your height and shoe size, I'd say get at least an 8. maybe an 8.25.

Just find a graphic you like in your size and go with that.

Trucks are gonna be the same why. Make sure it fits the board, otherwise you're good. You cant go wrong with indy's.

As for wheels, the smaller the better if you like street skating. However, the smaller they are, the shorter the lifespan for the most part. Ricta's are a great band. I personally prefer autobahn but honestly you probably won't notice a huge difference, I know I don't.

And bearings. In my experience, not really much of a difference. There's bones swiss bearings, and then theres everything else. So I highly suggest you get those. If not, anything else you'll find at a shop is fine and pretty much all the same. Bones swiss are just better than the rest.

But yeah, experimentation is key. No one usually knows exactly what they like until they'e shopped around and tested different brands and styles. Everything you picked is good to start with. It's just all about preference. Make sure the sizes work for you, everything else is just small details.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »
Just quit skateboarding since the shit is too complicated for you to figure out for yourself.  Baseballs, footballs, and basketballs all come in regulation size.  Go fuck off playing with some balls.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Just quit skateboarding since the shit is too complicated for you to figure out for yourself.  Baseballs, footballs, and basketballs all come in regulation size.  Go fuck off playing with some balls.

i would suggest spalding. just as good as nike balls, but a fraction of the price.

JoeyStacks

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »
all the name brand shit is basically all the same... get what you like at your local shop they will hook you up...