Author Topic: Thunder Titanium Lights, broken kingpin  (Read 3220 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Thunder Titanium Lights, broken kingpin
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:57:34 AM »
The kingpin just snapped.

First time in 5/6 years.

Weren't these supposed to have unbreakable kingpins or was that the baseplate?

I have a new kingpin, but the old one won't budge.

Not really feeling like buying a new set of trucks for a kingpin.

Any ideas?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

b.v.

Re: Thunder Titanium Lights, broken kingpin
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
They're not unbreakable, the problem is the metal is so hard it won't absorb any impact and sends it back to your arm when you try to pound it out. You need something extremely dense to put your baseplate on, at the shop we have a vice with an anvil like this

You also need needle nose vice grips to hold the broken piece in place while you try to pound it out

We also have a heavier than average hammer, that helps too.
So if you do have a vice, using the broken kingpin piece in the vice grips, I give it a few good wacks laying flat wedged on the anvil part against the part of the vice that sticks up, once it budges and wont go any farther because it's sticking out a little, I open the vice a little and pound it the rest of the way on there, positioning it so the gap in the vice lines up with where the broken piece should drop through.
Over the years I have done this successfully in a few wacks, the titanium and hollow kingpins are pretty tough to pop out, the heavier hammer is really needed with these.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:10:33 AM by b.v. »

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:24:55 AM »
Bad batch?

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
heat it, or let it stand in the sun for a few hours, then whack the kingpin out of that horrible truck, toss em? away and get a fresh set of indy?s.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

n8a

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
Hey man super sorry about that! Kingpins break once in a while even the Hollow ones. Please email me direct to [email protected] and I will make sure we get that taken care of for you. Thanks for the support and sorry for the issue!

First time in 5/6 years.

Any ideas?

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
same thing happened to me, I couldnt find another kingpin like that so I just bought a set of the Independent reynolds Stage 11s. I like them better anyways.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
Get that shit bashed till it pops out. Use a drain or something with a grate thats heavy weight that you can push the old kingpin through, not everyone has a vice at hand. Just use what you have available but try not to brake the baseplate. Definitely have way better trucks and equipment nowadays. I remember taking a couple of days working a kingpin out.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
They're not unbreakable, the problem is the metal is so hard it won't absorb any impact and sends it back to your arm when you try to pound it out. You need something extremely dense to put your baseplate on, at the shop we have a vice with an anvil like this

You also need needle nose vice grips to hold the broken piece in place while you try to pound it out

We also have a heavier than average hammer, that helps too.
So if you do have a vice, using the broken kingpin piece in the vice grips, I give it a few good wacks laying flat wedged on the anvil part against the part of the vice that sticks up, once it budges and wont go any farther because it's sticking out a little, I open the vice a little and pound it the rest of the way on there, positioning it so the gap in the vice lines up with where the broken piece should drop through.
Over the years I have done this successfully in a few wacks, the titanium and hollow kingpins are pretty tough to pop out, the heavier hammer is really needed with these.

Cheers. I actually bought a hammer but I think you're right about needing a vice. The nearest shop is a trek though...

I'd forgotten about the joys of trying to smack the hell out of a kingpin on a curb! Needing to use more power but being in danger of breaking your fingers...

It shows how much quality has improved though. Kingpins used to break all the time 10 years back.

Thanks for the tips, I'll rethink my strategy!
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
Hey man super sorry about that! Kingpins break once in a while even the Hollow ones. Please email me direct to [email protected] and I will make sure we get that taken care of for you. Thanks for the support and sorry for the issue!

Expand Quote

First time in 5/6 years.

Any ideas?
[close]

Thanks for following up on this. As I said, first broken kingpin in years, obviously need to skate more and eat less!

Deluxe stuff is always great and I'll continue to buy from them. They always put their name to quality products and back it up.

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
I broke the axle on one of these trucks,

then snapped the hanger in half across where it goes into the pivot cup on the replacement truck.

I'm sure it was bad luck, but I still wont be buying them again.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
I hate broken kingpins! its so awesome how the dudes at dlx are on top of their shit to make sure to deliver the best product and replace if it  doesn't come through. thank goodness i haven;t had a set of thunders  or any other trucks in the last 10 years. one of the worst things to do was getting it out..i remember once at a shop the guy tried for an hour and just got over it and gave me a new baseplate instead
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

Expand Quote

First time in 5/6 years.

Any ideas?
[close]

This is awesome. Bravo, Thunder/DLX customer service.

@360 Frip: yep, it happens. As trucks get stronger, yet are still subjected to the same (or worse) abuse, something has to give. It used to be the truck itself. Now it's the kingpin. At least the kingpin is more easily/cheaply replaced.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
What can I say.

Nate from Deluxe got in contact and was really good about it all.

I was really looking for tips to budge the kingpin, deluxe came through and sorted me out.

They contacted the distribution out here (in Hong Kong) a few times to help.

Really impressed.

I can't imagine any other company doing the same.

Bottom line, Deluxe does all it can for skaters.

Stoked.

Cheers Nate.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
Use the new kingpin to bash it through, and if you don't have one yet then try the large ratchet bit extender that comes with ratchet sets. (Like this one, it's the 1/2")
Hammer it into the broken off side of the kingpin straight down, hammer on the side that is female.  ;)
Place the baseplate on concrete when hammering down, you will get it at least 3/4's of the way out before it touches the ground.
Then use either 2 solid boards spaced out so it can pop through freely, or something with a hole in it that is somewhat pretty solid, aim for putting the kingpin right above that hole - now f'n bang it!
Holding it in a vice is just gunna chew up the baseplate if it starts to slip when hammering down, this way is easier, and requires less tools. I just put up a full quick and easy way of installing kingpins in the other truck kingpin thread.
Installing a kingpin is alot harder than removing one, broken or not. Don't give up. Good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:25:34 PM by JBones »

dmn

• Rep: -4
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »
Similar experience, but with Indy trucks.

Chuck a set of solid ones in from the get go, the alloy baseplate lights are easily bitten into by a burred/broken kingpin. Shop bruv stopped helping me remove 'em after the 2nd kingpin.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
They hooked me up with a new set.  ;D