Author Topic: Another thread about bringing boards on airplanes  (Read 9323 times)

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Another thread about bringing boards on airplanes
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Flying Minneapolis to Newark via Delta.

I was thinking about taking the trucks off and shoving those in my backpack, then carrying the deck in hand?  Not sure.  Whats your experiences with boards on airplanes
For Your Health

J.R.

• Rep: -38
Re: Another thread about bringing boards on airplanes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
The only times I've ever had a problem was during terrorist scares in Heathrow Airport in 2006 & Da Vinci Airport in 2005. Usually they are cool with bringing the board on as a carry on item, but for those instances they had me go all the way back to baggage check and check the board in with all of that. Total pain in the ass...

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:05 AM »
I've been flying a bit lately (domestic US, United and Alaska) and it's been totally fine. No one even looks twice, either NSA at security or anyone with the airlines. I wouldn't try anything dumb like skating in the airport, but it's pretty convenient to be able to skate to/from transportation on the way to/from the airport.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:31 AM »
Strap it to your backpack, get on the plane, and toss it in the overhead compartment. I never have a problem with this approach.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »
Strap it to your backpack, get on the plane, and toss it in the overhead compartment. I never have a problem with this approach.
This. No big deal.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:25:39 AM »
Sweet, glad I don't have to take anything apart.  I don't have much in my backpack anyways.  Right on thanks guys
For Your Health

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
Well, 99% of the time I haven't had any problems with taking a board on the plane but that other 1% is a complete downer - especially if you're in a rush. It's just like when you go through immigration - it only takes that one guy with the stamp to give you a red mark and it's ultimately at their discretion.

The thing to worry about these days more than having to check it is whether they're going to try and charge you the "sports equipment" fee. I'm definitely not trying to pay $100 to check my skateboard. Now, if you take your trucks off and carry your board they can't really say that's sports equipment and surprisingly enough most people who don't skate and work in TSA won't even make the connection that it's a skateboard deck - I've told them it's an art piece. Don't carry your board intact in your hand though, I mean you can, but I feel like when it's strapped to your back people don't pay as much attention and it also makes it seem more like 1 piece of luggage rather than 1 + a carry on. No one's so much bothered me in the States about it and I think the only time I was forced to check it was in London? Or maybe that was in Qatar just on a British Airways flight - either way it was a bitchy old British lady. In countries where less people skate is where I think you run into more problems because even skate tools are pretty foreign to them. They took away my t-tool in Lithuania that didn't even have the little screwdriver bit in it but they still let me take my board on the plane. I was like, yeah, I'm going to find the three bits on the plane that fit this and take apart the plane in flight, nut by nut.

If you've got the room to stuff it in a bag though, that's full proof.

rideforJJ

• Rep: -1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »
Never had a problem just carrying it on in the U.S., or in the Caribbean when I was lucky enough for my family to take me on spring break there as a kid. California airport personnel have been the rudest and given me the most looks about carrying my board around the few times I have been in various airports out there, probably because they see them everyday. Where as when I get back home to Detroit metro at 11pm or later when it's dead most of the employees hate their jobs and don't give a fuck if you casually cruise through (no ollies, making people move or cutting them off, carving across the whole terminal, trying to get busenitz speed..) on the way out.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
I had a backpack with skateboard + extra deck strapped on the back and made it through no problems at Bradley to Ohare to SFO

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »
the past two times I've flown I've actually been able to put my board in a closet near the front of the plane as I was boarding. If you can talk to a flight attendant when you're boarding about putting it somewhere else, it really saves the hassle of having to puzzle piece your skateboard into the small compartment above your seat.

...thats hilarious about the skate tool. I know people who've accidentally taken knives, lighters, pot etc onto planes before....which excluding knives, really shouldn't be a big deal. Thats great about the skate tool....although im sure finding tools in a place like lithuania might be a tough task
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I just keep my skate shit in the suitcase. I just keep in mind that these people are security personel and us skateboarders havent had exactly the best relationship with them. I'd rather put my deck in the suitcase than deal with the potential bullshit that I'll face.

Anyways,

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
in my experience flying domestically in the US i've never had problems having a board as a carry on. leaving the US from lax and sfo i've been able to have it on as well. flying out of another country into the us i've always been forced to check it in. in costa rica back to lax they allowed me to take the trucks off and just carry my deck in hand that way i didnt have to pay extra to check it in.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Will Easley

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This. No big deal.

^Word. I feel like if security saw some metal trucks inside in a carry-on bag they'd feel it could be used as a weapon or some bullshit like that. I can see them looking at your bag thru the xray thing & immediately wanting to investigate it. i just wouldnt even risk the hassle.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This. No big deal.
[close]

^Word. I feel like if security saw some metal trucks inside in a carry-on bag they'd feel it could be used as a weapon or some bullshit like that. I can see them looking at your bag thru the xray thing & immediately wanting to investigate it. i just wouldnt even risk the hassle.

You'd be surprised. Like I was saying, it depends 100% on the TSA guy who's looking at your bag but with skateboard trucks they don't violate any of the rules. It also depends where you are, what you have, and how familiar people in that country are with whatever it is you have. I've had people take away rolling tobacco from me but then it slips past them that there's a knife in my bag (that I forgot about). The one thing that surprised me on my last trip was that my hand baggage had a can of Murray's Pomade in it that made it on the first flight. I didn't have any checked baggage so I had decided to try my luck and see if it got on. Low and behold, of the few things I was asked about between 7 or 8 flights on that trip not once did anyone ever ask me about the pomade and it made it on board every flight.

Normally it's not a problem but if you don't mind taking your board apart I'd recommend getting one of these - a deck fits nicely in the back and just drop your trucks in the bottom, clothes and other things in the upper mid compartment.

FakieFlipCG

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
I'll be flying next month and had been wondering the same; however, I don't have a bag with board straps or a bag big enough to fit a deck inside. Do you guys think it would be fine if I used bungee cords to strap my board to my bag?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »
I'll be flying next month and had been wondering the same; however, I don't have a bag with board straps or a bag big enough to fit a deck inside. Do you guys think it would be fine if I used bungee cords to strap my board to my bag?
I wouldn't do that.

I just brought a backpack and my board.  I had them seperate so that way I would have no problem getting my board into the overhead compartment.  I slid the bag under my seat.  No one gave a shit on all 4 flights
For Your Health

FakieFlipCG

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wouldn't do that.

I just brought a backpack and my board.  I had them seperate so that way I would have no problem getting my board into the overhead compartment.  I slid the bag under my seat.  No one gave a shit on all 4 flights

Did you have to pay extra for either the backpack or board?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
Nope.  Most airlines allow 2 carry ons.  And a board can fit in the overhead behind or on top of someone else's duffel bag or backpack pretty easy
For Your Health

matic

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 10:38:52 AM »
bumping this thread.

anyone travel with their skateboards as carry on in 2014?
i'll have a larger backpack (45L size) and also a small duffel which has board straps on bottom.
should i attempt to get on the plane with the board strapped to my backpack or to the bottom of duffel??
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:37:01 PM by matic »

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
I almost fit my deck with trucks in my check in luggage 1inch of the tail was sticking out so I took off the trucks. :-\ It probably wont be a problem.

matic

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
I almost fit my deck with trucks in my check in luggage 1inch of the tail was sticking out so I took off the trucks. :-\ It probably wont be a problem.

that i know. check in is what they say to do on the website, but i want to avoid the check in fees. i want to carry the board on as carry on

4wheels

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
bumping this thread.

i'll have a larger backpack (45L size) and also a small duffel which has board straps on bottom.
should i attempt to get on the plane with the board strapped to my backpack or to the bottom of duffel??
yeah, just strap your board onto the bottom of the duffel and you will be fine. Also ive never been able to bring my board on an international flight but they dont care on domestic flights

matic

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 05:13:46 AM »
Expand Quote
bumping this thread.

[close]
yeah, just strap your board onto the bottom of the duffel and you will be fine. Also ive never been able to bring my board on an international flight but they dont care on domestic flights

haha, cool. gonna attempt it with board strapped to the duffel.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 06:58:57 AM »
Make it look like it is one piece of luggage with your bag. They aren't really counting your luggage when you go through security because you are probably putting in multiple trays anyway for keys and jackets, etc.

Where it really counts is when trying to board the plane. Don't be carrying it in your hand. If you can get in without it being noticed all the better. If you try to add it to an already large duffel you may draw attention.

I only have a small non skate backpack but I just put the board on my back, grip on my back, then put the backpack over it. Although, if I am staying a while and bringing checked baggage I just put the board in my suitcase.

Bringing in disassembled sounds good but most tools are prohibited in carry-on (by TSA) and I could see a screener potentially making a big deal about trucks if they wanted to be a jerk.

FWIW, someone told me Spirit Airlines was particularly unfriendly to skateboards.

matic

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
thanks for the tip, Willie!

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
bumping this thread.

went from la to dc this year and i brought my board with me on the flight not attached to my bag and they didnt say anything

steamedchickinclaws

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 11:03:44 AM »

I've had them make me put it in a plastic bag and check it. The bag was to keep the trucks from snagging on suitcases on the conveyor.

I got hassled so many times on domestic US flights that I always just check it now, usually in a garbage bag strapped to a backpack but if I want to carry on my backpack then I've strapped it to the top of a soft duffel bag using belts, also with the board in a garbage bag.

What it comes down to is that it should be okay, and most if the time it is, but get the wrong TSA employee and they might hassle you so I just don't give them any excuse to say anything.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
I work for an airline and i non-rev at least once a month. I've never had any issues with just putting the board overhead. if you are the last to board normally you can just set it over peoples bags with the wheels going in the gaps between the bags, or if your on first you can put it up and still fit bags up there. worse case you can have inflight put it in the closet or just check it at the jet bridge.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
I work for an airline and i non-rev at least once a month. I've never had any issues with just putting the board overhead. if you are the last to board normally you can just set it over peoples bags with the wheels going in the gaps between the bags, or if your on first you can put it up and still fit bags up there. worse case you can have inflight put it in the closet or just check it at the jet bridge.

Earlier this year on Frontier from Denver to Portland, OR I had just a deck strapped onto my backpack, I made it all the way to the gate and the ticket taker said I had to check it. I argued that it was flat and would fit anywhere, and she said that it didn't matter, since it was over 24" long I would have to check it for $35 more dollars or throw it away. The deck cost me $40 at the shop and I didn't really wanna lose it even though I was essentially doubling its price, but I checked it and it became my $75 deck. She was especially an asshole though. I've flown to South Korea with a skateboard and it was a non-issue.

I especially hate it when people play the "I'm just doing my job" cliche. I'd understand her attitude more if I was being a jerk or she could lose her job over it, but that wasn't the case.