Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia and nerve block shots  (Read 1068 times)

skateohio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Inguinal Hernia and nerve block shots
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
bumped an old thread and failed to get any new replies. Hoping someone can relate to this god awful experience ahah,

had the repair a year ago with no artificial materials used, doc just succored (sp?) the tear right back up.

I've been experiencing discomfort ever since and recently found out it's a nerve issue (genital-femoral nerve). Had first of three nerve block shots almost two weeks ago (6/13) and yesterday I noticed everything was pretty much back to normal, just can't really pop with my left foot (same side as hernia repair/ nerve block shot treatment).

I'm opting out of getting the second nerve block treatment as I am going on a skate trip for the next month and the recovery period was too long after getting the first shot (2 weeks), plan on resuming the treatment once I return at the end of july.

Very interested in rehab advice and hearing second hand experience with nerve block shots.

Seems like this doesn't happen to very many people within the skate community. I've searched google endlessly and haven't found much.

My doc has no idea what skateboarding entails and just seems to tell me what I want to hear (2 day recovery periods, etc.). I scheduled an appointment with sports med. doc, hoping I can get some better advice relating to rehab and proactive maintenance.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 130
    • Fine-Co avatar image
Re: Inguinal Hernia and nerve block shots
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
what is a nerve block shot specifically? I've had something called a "radio-frequency injection" to block nerve pain in my back. It was essentially a n electric shock that killed the nerves so I didn't feel pain. My recovery wouldn't relate to a hernia though, so I can't help I don't think. I can say that it took a few weeks for me to feel alright to skate again after the shots, but I also felt like my legs were heavier since I was missing some nerve sensation in my back. Kind of like someone else was pulling the strings.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Inguinal Hernia and nerve block shots
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Wow. Sounds troubling. Did the doc(s) give you any type of light rehab exercises? I would take it light until the trip/your left leg feels more comfortable. Good luck.

PS Where you off too?