Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 255 times)

BasicSkaater *Undead*

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
  • Emurica
Stairs
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
hey mengs, need some advice. ive been trying out this 5 set. its not big, however barely any runway. but whatever thats not the real issue. im having trouble bringing myself to ollie these damn stairs. and they arent really big. i just have this fucking mental block that refuses to let me ollie these stairs.. got any confidence advice for me? i know i can do it, and saying man up doesnt work. ive tried that. like just do it. it fucking sucks, im gonna keep going at it till i get it. not giving up.
My setup
Toy Machine Deck
Independence Trucks
Bones Wheels
Whatever Bearings
Emerica Shoes

noone1234

• Rep: -36
Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
go over there right now and do it bitch. get off your computer and barge it. if you can jump down a curb, you can jump 5 steps. the only difference is that you have more time to hang out in the air with the 5 steps.

Will Easley

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
go over there right now and do it bitch. get off your computer and barge it. if you can jump down a curb, you can jump 5 steps. the only difference is that you have more time to hang out in the air with the 5 steps.

This. I jump down stairs all the time & its all mental. if you have enough speed & you are confident with your ollie, it shouldnt be a problem. Just look at the center of the board and NOT the stairs.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
You could try a few different maneuvers to help get comfortable with the stress. 
You could just plain rover down the set and ride down the steps.  You could try a few firecrackers down it too. 
Sometimes I like to ragdoll stairs before trying to ollie them.  Just put the board down at the landing, start from the top, run, and jump onto the board at the bottom.  You could also grab your board, run from the top, jump down the stairs, and put the board to your feet in the air before landing. 
At least after trying a few of these you'll be comfortable seeing the stairs pass under you and know what the impact will feel like.  You'll have a better idea of how much speed you'll need as well. 
I'm reminded of an interview with Jaws in which he mentioned that he jumps down drops on his feet before he skates down them.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
Go really fast and just do it, what else can I tell ya? Wear a helmet

Cockaigne

• Rep: 0
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 05:07:23 AM »
I had this same problem with the first 5-stair I ever ollied. Just couldn't commit or whatever, but I knew I could do it. So I was thinking about it endlessly and picturing myself doing it. Then one night I dreamt of the set and ollied it in my dream. I woke up fully stoked and the next day I made it in a couple of tries.

So yeah, do it in a dream first?

CoffinAlex

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
It takes one good try to take the fear away. Just clear your head and say you can do it, get some speed and pop a nice ollie just like you would on flatground, don't kick your board away and try to land it. The board will probably get away from you a couple of times on the landing but after the first fall it's all good because you'll notice it doesn't hurt at all. You're lucky it's only a 5 stair 'cause when your skating something bigger if you can't commit you'll get hurt.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
cut yourself

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
Do drugs, kill people