Author Topic: Positive games and video game anxiety.  (Read 3624 times)

brianwilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
Positive games and video game anxiety.
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
Re: Positive games and video game anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
That was a nice read.  Some of the structure could have been better, but I liked it.  You could do another one focusing on how dependent some people become on MMO's and competitive RTS/FPS to the point that it is a job.  See how people respond to that.  For Starcraft 2 players in South Korea it probably starts as fun, but then progresses to a job.  I have never really had video game based anxiety except during a really big clan war in Socom or MLG match in halo, but that is more along the lines of just being nervous.  I use video games now to relax by playing like a free MMO or whatnot.  I stopped playing Starcraft 2 because it was too fucking grueling on my brain.  Video games are serious business. 
I suck at SLAP.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Wow that journey game looks really cool

Im not sure I would call SC2 a job , I would compare it more to sports , Pro Athlete or Pro Computer Athlete . It kinda started with Quake 3 and Counter strike ,  Star craft .  E sports I think is more interesting then alot of other sports anyways . Id rather watch quake ra3 back in the day then a football game

Plenty of interesting things , back in WoW vanilla , 40 man raids against interesting bosses with alot of strategy going , Quake 3 duels betwen the best dudes and best teams . Top Korean dudes in Star craft .  Dawn of War 1v1s

foureyedjim

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
I just bought Journey two days ago.  had my ps3 for a while, but oh well
the game is pretty short but it's still amazing how great it looks.
Love how the mostly everything is intuitive. 

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

Im not sure I would call SC2 a job , I would compare it more to sports , Pro Athlete or Pro Computer Athlete . It kinda started with Quake 3 and Counter strike ,  Star craft .  E sports I think is more interesting then alot of other sports anyways . Id rather watch quake ra3 back in the day then a football game

Plenty of interesting things , back in WoW vanilla , 40 man raids against interesting bosses with alot of strategy going , Quake 3 duels betwen the best dudes and best teams . Top Korean dudes in Star craft .  Dawn of War 1v1s

MC 40 mans were so much fun. Never got further than that except Onyxia. Leveling took so fucking long back then. Is there a thread on the Elder Scrolls MMO? Cause that game might bring me back into the mmo world.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
are you in high school? I liked the idea but it reads like a school report to me.

It's kinda on topic, but I don't really like some of the themes of some new games(and tv shows like game of thrones) it's more realistic which I usually love, maybe I'm getting old, I dunno. but when I get high as fucc to play the last of us or watch game f thrones or whatever, I want to be having a good time. watching a pregnant lady get stabbed in the chest over and over, or a yung child/main character ur attached to is blown away by an assault rifle just bums me out. it feels like an ordeal vs some pleasant experience. maybe I should stick with Nintendo games or something
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
It's kind of crazy to me how popular game of thrones has gotten. High fantasy and other once nerdy themes have entered popular culture like never before.. Larping will probably be in the Olympics in 10 years.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

MC 40 mans were so much fun. Never got further than that except Onyxia. Leveling took so fucking long back then. Is there a thread on the Elder Scrolls MMO? Cause that game might bring me back into the mmo world.

There are some Vanilla WoW servers still around , some are really good .  I was in a naxx guild in vanilla ,

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There are some Vanilla WoW servers still around , some are really good .  I was in a naxx guild in vanilla ,

Dudes, forty mans were the absolute tits.  Fuckin did up to AQ before TBC came out.  Shit was so much fun.  That was the one thing I hated about Blizz; they released new expansions before most people got to experience the end game content.  I wasn't a casual by any means, but fuck it still took awhile to get geared enough for AQ/Naxx.  Wish they delayed expansions on that game.  Also, I played on a few private servers since then though.  One was Scriptcraft which got shut down and the other is Feenix which runs pretty blizzlike but has some bugs.  It is still really active last time I checked.

Also Monty, I agree with the Esports idealogy, but in a sense it could be considered a job since they are getting paid to do it and it takes up most of there time.  Sure it is enjoyable for the most part, but I think it could get as stressful as a full time job, if not more.

It is amazing what they do in Starcraft.  Fuckin upwards of 400-500 actions per minute...  God fuck, it doesn't make sense.  Crazy Asians.
I suck at SLAP.

kmdoom

• Rep: -18
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
Good article dude. Your last paragraph is kind of echoing what I tell my self internally every time I lose in 2k or the NHL series; I wish devs would take more time with presentation and story elements in sports games so that playing offline could be fun again

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
are you in high school? I liked the idea but it reads like a school report to me.

It's kinda on topic, but I don't really like some of the themes of some new games(and tv shows like game of thrones) it's more realistic which I usually love, maybe I'm getting old, I dunno. but when I get high as fucc to play the last of us or watch game f thrones or whatever, I want to be having a good time. watching a pregnant lady get stabbed in the chest over and over, or a yung child/main character ur attached to is blown away by an assault rifle just bums me out. it feels like an ordeal vs some pleasant experience. maybe I should stick with Nintendo games or something

I have recently graduated although this was done personally and for the site I write for!

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Also Monty, I agree with the Esports idealogy, but in a sense it could be considered a job since they are getting paid to do it and it takes up most of there time.  Sure it is enjoyable for the most part, but I think it could get as stressful as a full time job, if not more.

Sure you could see it as a job , you get paid . But you dont activly compete against others in job ( I guess some do )  But if you look at it as a Pro sport . You practice in betwen the matches , you get paid , you have offical tourneys and league games

Pro sports / atheletes is kinda a job I know , same with esports

Feenix is pretty good , and getting better , but yes tons of bugs . I played now for 1 year and was in Final Exit guild . I decided to take a break from it though .  Got Best in slot and was farming naxx .  Was just same routine every day and no fun . I plan on starting to play later again , just casual leveling low level stuff . But Ill prob get sucked into raiding again on days off work and then Ill quit again

WoW vanilla leveling and raiding is prob the top 10 games ever . Its so good in tactics , social and other stuff that its crazy

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dudes, forty mans were the absolute tits.  Fuckin did up to AQ before TBC came out.  Shit was so much fun.  That was the one thing I hated about Blizz; they released new expansions before most people got to experience the end game content.  I wasn't a casual by any means, but fuck it still took awhile to get geared enough for AQ/Naxx.  Wish they delayed expansions on that game.  Also, I played on a few private servers since then though.  One was Scriptcraft which got shut down and the other is Feenix which runs pretty blizzlike but has some bugs.  It is still really active last time I checked.

It is amazing what they do in Starcraft.  Fuckin upwards of 400-500 actions per minute...  God fuck, it doesn't make sense.  Crazy Asians.

BWL was way harder than AQ smaller group. AQ 40 might have had it beat

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
I have a friend who plays video games professionally. I don't know what his game is, but it's one of those 1st person shooter kinda games (I'm clearly waaaay out of the loop, I know). He makes more money than most people I know, which is still insane to me.

When I was a kid, and before game designers figured out how to make a game hard without making it cheap, I used to have some rage issues with a few games. M Bison definitely took out a couple of SNES controllers, haha. Pilotwings may have claimed one too.

The last couple of games I got really, really into were Quake 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I'm out of the loop, I KNOW). Playing Quake 2 online would get me pretty jumpy, but in a mostly good way. RtCW single player could get me pretty damn anxious, esp the espionage levels and some later bosses. Then maybe a year ago I played through it again for the hell of it, not giving a shit if I died or whatever. It was really fun, no anxiety at all. Occasional frustration at harder levels, but as soon as it wasn't fun, I bailed.

But these days I don't play anything more complicated than Words With Friends.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure you could see it as a job , you get paid . But you dont activly compete against others in job ( I guess some do )  But if you look at it as a Pro sport . You practice in betwen the matches , you get paid , you have offical tourneys and league games

Pro sports / atheletes is kinda a job I know , same with esports

Feenix is pretty good , and getting better , but yes tons of bugs . I played now for 1 year and was in Final Exit guild . I decided to take a break from it though .  Got Best in slot and was farming naxx .  Was just same routine every day and no fun . I plan on starting to play later again , just casual leveling low level stuff . But Ill prob get sucked into raiding again on days off work and then Ill quit again

WoW vanilla leveling and raiding is prob the top 10 games ever . Its so good in tactics , social and other stuff that its crazy

Truth.

Also, Monty and Mundungus, Alliance or Horde?
I suck at SLAP.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
Both actually , had a female NE hunter and a male Troll hunter .  both lvl 60 and then both lvl 70 and then both lvl 80

the NE was always better geared as it was my main .    lordy we are geeking out totaly here ...

I have a NE hunter lvl 60 in 7/9 t3  on feenix and some other fun chars on both sides . feenix might have some bugs but its still really good

Naxx is so fun that I might start playing again , So many fun bosses that are so focused on strategy and team work , Same with MC , BWL , AQ40 . AQ20 and ZG were more slack

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
Both actually , had a female NE hunter and a male Troll hunter .  both lvl 60 and then both lvl 70 and then both lvl 80

the NE was always better geared as it was my main .    lordy we are geeking out totaly here ...

I have a NE hunter lvl 60 in 7/9 t3  on feenix and some other fun chars on both sides . feenix might have some bugs but its still really good

Naxx is so fun that I might start playing again , So many fun bosses that are so focused on strategy and team work , Same with MC , BWL , AQ40 . AQ20 and ZG were more slack

Damn bro 7/9 T3 is insane.  I got a 60 Priest on Horde Feenix.  The Warsong 12x Blizzlike server.  I was raiding alil bit when I had time and got some MC/ZG loot, but they had a patch which caused alot of people to go to other servers.  They fixed alot of the bugs, but it made the 20 and 40 mans less of a faceroll and people stopped pugging them. 

Don't really have the time to raid either, so the PUGs were dope.  I think alot of people went to the Emerald Dream normal rates server and I am way too lazy to level that shit. 

I want to raid AQ/Naxx so fucking bad and I am jelly of you.  I think the Ally's on feenix have more raids...  Should've rolled Ally, but I have always played horde and I hate Ally 12 yr old fucks.  No offense.  Damn this is nerdy.

Been playing a free2play MMO atm called Neverwinter.  It is fun, but kinda repetitive and I think it is kinda like F2P but Pay to Win.  Not capped yet though so I dont really know.
I suck at SLAP.

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
ahah i love the nostalgia trip some of you dudes are having in this thread, i always assumed there would be more people who got into games like these on a skateboard forum.

i dont get a kick out of most games these days because when it comes to games i dont really find stories and pretty graphics "immersive".

some people dont understand why anyone would grind out games of starcraft at 300 apm, the same way that some people look at a guy trying the same trick on a ledge or gap for hours and wonder why the fuck hes still doing it... for some people, the frustration and the anxiety is the immersion.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
ahah i love the nostalgia trip some of you dudes are having in this thread, i always assumed there would be more people who got into games like these on a skateboard forum.

i dont get a kick out of most games these days because when it comes to games i dont really find stories and pretty graphics "immersive".

some people dont understand why anyone would grind out games of starcraft at 300 apm, the same way that some people look at a guy trying the same trick on a ledge or gap for hours and wonder why the fuck hes still doing it... for some people, the frustration and the anxiety is the immersion.

Great comparison.  Couldn't agree more.
I suck at SLAP.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
btw merked ,Im rerolling a troll hunter on feenix .  Not sure on name yet but its pretty much already in a naxx guild . Think Ill get t3 befor I would get t1 or t2 haha

not sure how much Ill play , Ill try to keep it very casual

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
btw merked ,Im rerolling a troll hunter on feenix .  Not sure on name yet but its pretty much already in a naxx guild . Think Ill get t3 befor I would get t1 or t2 haha

Which Feenix server?  The Warsong 12x one?  Or Emerald dream? Or the insta 60 one?  I ask because I have a toon on the Warsong, but it seems to be dying.
I suck at SLAP.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which Feenix server?  The Warsong 12x one?  Or Emerald dream? Or the insta 60 one?  I ask because I have a toon on the Warsong, but it seems to be dying.

warsong . its always been the top raiding server .  Its abit stuck , They wont release that last 3 bosses in naxx cause they are afraid to loose players , finish the game and get all the gear and then you are finished . But at the same time people quit casue they cant finish the game .  catch 22

Ill let you know when Ive made the new hunter ,

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

warsong . its always been the top raiding server .  Its abit stuck , They wont release that last 3 bosses in naxx cause they are afraid to loose players , finish the game and get all the gear and then you are finished . But at the same time people quit casue they cant finish the game .  catch 22

Ill let you know when Ive made the new hunter ,

For sure.

I used to pug MCs, Onys, ZGs, and AQs on there when I had time, but not they seem to not run the pugs at all and I don't really have time for raiding and I am sad about this...  Let me know what you think of the server nowadays.

Also, I don't know how you reroll hunters only.  Don't you get bored?
I suck at SLAP.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Nope its the perfect class .  Its ranged , special shooting rotations to max out dps , has a pet you can name and get semi attatched to , have tranq shot which the whole raid depends on , 1-2 melee weapons that you pick out , Xbows and Bows to pick from ,  really cool gear with dragon stalker and crypt stalker .  T3 cryptstalker is maybe the coolest set ever made . diffrent sorts of ammo ,  Feign death , and really high crits with aimed shot and with the pet . traps are super fun too .

You could also do amazing solo stuff as a hunter , Kite elite NPCs for ages and kill them without help , find diffrent paths so you can kill bosses in instances .

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Nope its the perfect class .  Its ranged , special shooting rotations to max out dps , has a pet you can name and get semi attatched to , have tranq shot which the whole raid depends on , 1-2 melee weapons that you pick out , Xbows and Bows to pick from ,  really cool gear with dragon stalker and crypt stalker .  T3 cryptstalker is maybe the coolest set ever made . diffrent sorts of ammo ,  Feign death , and really high crits with aimed shot and with the pet . traps are super fun too .

You could also do amazing solo stuff as a hunter , Kite elite NPCs for ages and kill them without help , find diffrent paths so you can kill bosses in instances .

Ha.  Truth.  We are like on opposite ends of the spectrum.  Hunters are the only class that I have never really rolled...   :-[

They also get mean at PvP.
I suck at SLAP.