Author Topic: Whats the deal with kickflips.  (Read 8409 times)

ThugWaffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Whats the deal with kickflips.
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
Is it just me or are kickflips the hardest trick ever, i learned kickflips 5 or 6 years ago and to this day i can't seem to master them, it almost seems like i got a kickflip season and the rest i cant do em at all, i even miss the flick like if i was doing an ollie north wich is crazy considering people have complemented my kickflips before, not that i agree with them. I mastered tres like a month ago and i have more chances of doing a tre flip first trick of the day than a kickflip.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: Whats the deal with kickflips.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
I just started telling people that a Half-kickflip to dark slide stall to footplant to caveman roll away is a new trick that I am working on. 

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
You can't kickflip because you're fucked up. You skate like a fag, and your shit's all regular.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Will Easley

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
as a natural heelflipper kickflips have eluded me for years but now a days im pretty confident with them & can do them pretty well down gaps, over tall things, etc.. I put my feet in an ollie position with my toes pointing towards the nose & tail (think how mike mo sets up for his switchflips).  the ball of my back foot is more towards the center of the tail than right on the edge, and my front foot is slightly bent with my weight on my toes & my heel hovering over my board. I pretty much do an ollie motion, but I look to have half of my front foot slide up the grip, with the toecap going diagonally from the bottom left bolt (im saying this as a goofy-footer) to the top right bolt, to where the axle of the truck pokes out. thats the sorta angle i aim for, and its more of an ollie-then-flick motion as opposed to sliding straight up to the corner of the board. from there its all fundamentals. bend your knees before you pop, keep your shoulders straight, etc.

I will say that when I do them down gaps or off of launch ramps or pyramids, they flip super slow but if im doing lower-popped flat ground ones they're pretty fast. i guess its just relative what you're doing with it. here's some examples of me doing kick flips if that helps any

@ 2:28
Poop n Pee Throwaway 1

"first try, no warm up"

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »
as a natural heelflipper kickflips have eluded me for years but now a days im pretty confident with them & can do them pretty well down gaps, over tall things, etc.. I put my feet in an ollie position with my toes pointing towards the nose & tail (think how mike mo sets up for his switchflips).  the ball of my back foot is more towards the center of the tail than right on the edge, and my front foot is slightly bent with my weight on my toes & my heel hovering over my board. I pretty much do an ollie motion, but I look to have half of my front foot slide up the grip, with the toecap going diagonally from the bottom left bolt (im saying this as a goofy-footer) to the top right bolt, to where the axle of the truck pokes out. thats the sorta angle i aim for, and its more of an ollie-then-flick motion as opposed to sliding straight up to the corner of the board. from there its all fundamentals. bend your knees before you pop, keep your shoulders straight, etc.

I will say that when I do them down gaps or off of launch ramps or pyramids, they flip super slow but if im doing lower-popped flat ground ones they're pretty fast. i guess its just relative what you're doing with it. here's some examples of me doing kick flips if that helps any

Poop n Pee Throwaway 1

"first try, no warm up"

Damn those are some solid kickflips dude, thanks for the tip, i usually just evade kickflips and do nollie and switch ones, but i got a soft for a good kickflip.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
You can't kickflip because you're fucked up. You skate like a fag, and your shit's all regular.

Speaking of fags did you end up getting that hooker?

Will Easley

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Poop n Pee Throwaway 1

"first try, no warm up"
[close]

Damn those are some solid kickflips dude, thanks for the tip, i usually just evade kickflips and do nollie and switch ones, but i got a soft for a good kickflip.

haha thanks dude. its all practice like I said ive always been a heelflip-first kinda guy but over the past year or so I was persistent in tryna get my kickflips on lock. i still have my off days with them from time to time but for the most part I got em. Now I like doing kickflips more than heelflips for certain spots. they definitely feel good when you land em proper.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »
^^^ I was the same way. Heelflips came easy and then I started trying kickflips constantly and lost my heel flips. I love skateboarding.

Will Easley

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
^^^ I was the same way. Heelflips came easy and then I started trying kickflips constantly and lost my heel flips. I love skateboarding.

yeah whenever there's a day one of them's off I'm usually on point with the opposite trick. I feel like my upper body is more leant back with kickflips whereas heelflips i sorta hunch over the board to keep it straight. I'm more comfortable kickflipping over things and jumping at an angle more so than heelflips, but im always more confident taking heelflips straight down any gap with alot of speed.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah whenever there's a day one of them's off I'm usually on point with the opposite trick. I feel like my upper body is more leant back with kickflips whereas heelflips i sorta hunch over the board to keep it straight. I'm more comfortable kickflipping over things and jumping at an angle more so than heelflips, but im always more confident taking heelflips straight down any gap with alot of speed.

This is the truth.

But, just do Heelflips, Tres, Double flips, varials, or bs flips...  Kickflips can fuck off.  FS flips can too.  ;D
I suck at SLAP.

jimi420

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
haul ass, pop hard, flick from the opposite side's nose's bottom bolt, jump as high as you can, catch that shit, don't fuck up.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »

Poop n Pee Throwaway 1

"first try, no warm up"
did not give a fuck about those vids, THAT FUCKING SIG THOUGH im in love.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »
My kickflips are about as inconsistent as the rest of my skating, but I have it in me to do a good one now and again (popped well, caught flat). What baffles me, and what I'd love to learn, are those super quick kickflips that seem to keep rising even after the catch, possibly with a bit of a tweak. I feel like it's a relatively new thing, and all the good pros under 25 seem to have them. Any tips, anyone?

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »
My kickflips are about as inconsistent as the rest of my skating, but I have it in me to do a good one now and again (popped well, caught flat). What baffles me, and what I'd love to learn, are those super quick kickflips that seem to keep rising even after the catch, possibly with a bit of a tweak. I feel like it's a relatively new thing, and all the good pros under 25 seem to have them. Any tips, anyone?

Man i dont even understand how those even work. I was watching this dude skate the other day and he did that like Cromer in his zip zinger ad, Pop, flick, catch, chill for a second then land type of deal. I like a little tweak but not overly done i can't seem to control it in my kickflips sometimes it looks like im gonna kickflip nosemanny the air, its annoying.

Btw Ben Gore does em good like that too. One of the best kickflips out there.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
Just learnt about the check mark....

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »

yea, don't bend down as low when you pop, think of it like Antwuan Dixon's arms are when he skates, don't pop it as hard. In all honesty though, I think kickflips are just one of those tricks that will always give me difficulty, I can do them good, but it's one trick I never land first try when warming up, hardflip or frontside flip, no problem, but kickflips take a few tries.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »
What about that back foot though?? So sensitive with the placement it is.

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
Looking at the spot on my board where I flick from seems to help me. So does keeping my flicking leg extended till I catch it. And a late flick..

That being said I haven't had consistent kickflips in probably 6 years

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 02:54:44 AM »

Same, reg heelflips were the first flip trick I learned. Now I can hardly do them at all, any heelflip variation feels way more comfortable switch or nollie for me.

Rein

• Rep: -20
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
I used to be a heelflipper and still have a lot of heelflip variations on lock. I got fakie flips really good but a regular kickflip is just the hardest trick imo. I used to have them pretty good but a little while ago I couldn't skate for a week and completely unlearned them >.>, nothing pisses me off more than fucking up your flick and doing some weird ollie north shit.

Fuck that trick

LESBIAN

• Rep: -2
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I used to be a heelflipper and still have a lot of heelflip variations on lock. I got fakie flips really good but a regular kickflip is just the hardest trick imo. I used to have them pretty good but a little while ago I couldn't skate for a week and completely unlearned them >.>, nothing pisses me off more than fucking up your flick and doing some weird ollie north shit.

Fuck that trick
[close]

I'm completely aghast when it comes to attempting kickflips, that's the one trick where I actually fuck myself up trying. Ever since I started skateboarding, the one trick I had always wanted to have down perfectly was a kickflip. All my friends had them, and I had to settle for fakie flips or switch kickflips. Growing up, the guy that introduced me to skating taught me that learning something switch without learning it regular was cheating, so I always felt like my skating almost wasn't as credible as someone that can do them. You also have the other factor of the bro/jock walking by a spot screaming "DO A KICKFLIP" because it's the only trick they know the name of. Not that it matters that you can't placate the screaming tool bags by doing one, but knowing in the back of your mind that you couldn't if you tried still sucks. That trick will forever be an automatic letter for me in a game of skate.

okay now anything goes and you placate your aghast conscious by calling yourself "progressive"

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fuck that trick
[close]

I'm completely aghast when it comes to attempting kickflips, that's the one trick where I actually fuck myself up trying. Ever since I started skateboarding, the one trick I had always wanted to have down perfectly was a kickflip. All my friends had them, and I had to settle for fakie flips or switch kickflips. Growing up, the guy that introduced me to skating taught me that learning something switch without learning it regular was cheating, so I always felt like my skating almost wasn't as credible as someone that can do them. You also have the other factor of the bro/jock walking by a spot screaming "DO A KICKFLIP" because it's the only trick they know the name of. Not that it matters that you can't placate the screaming tool bags by doing one, but knowing in the back of your mind that you couldn't if you tried still sucks. That trick will forever be an automatic letter for me in a game of skate.
[close]

okay now anything goes and you placate your aghast conscious by calling yourself "progressive"

Fool, do you even know what the fuck you just said? Nobody is on some progressive shit over here, I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel.  and all that.

LESBIAN

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fuck that trick
[close]

[close]

[close]

Fool, do you even know what the fuck you just said? Nobody is on some progressive shit over here, I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel.?  and all that.

You have just "progressed" past what this messageboard says is normal into some kind of new age humanist quasi Hell. You have "redefined what is normal" to mean whatever lacks decency and seems to be OK on TV.

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fuck that trick
[close]

[close]

[close]

Fool, do you even know what the fuck you just said? Nobody is on some progressive shit over here, I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel.?  and all that.
[close]

You have just "progressed" past what this messageboard says is normal into some kind of new age humanist quasi Hell. You have "redefined what is normal" to mean whatever lacks decency and seems to be OK on TV.

What the message board says is normal? Seems to be OK on TV? You must be on some drugs or something. I don't watch television. And the picture in your signature lacks decency, you're on some Honey Boo Boo shit and you're trying to tell me that I've "redefined what is normal." You are dumb as hell.

LESBIAN

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
firstly we must ask ourselves, what is "J.R.". J.R. is "a cancer cell on the body of humanity". That is our definition. No grace, no purpose, worthless, in God's eyes. A waste of space. A void in space, with not much in it. Basically, a cancer cell on God's body, waiting for some chemo

J.R.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
firstly we must ask ourselves, what is "J.R.". J.R. is "a cancer cell on the body of humanity". That is our definition. No grace, no purpose, worthless, in God's eyes. A waste of space. A void in space, with not much in it. Basically, a cancer cell on God's body, waiting for some chemo

ok

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
This is the only trick that I feel I'm really good and can make look great. It's probably my best quality as a person. If I happen to have an off day with them I feel like my life is falling apart.

My back foot is centred at the end of the tail and it's pretty much perpendicular to the board, but sometimes angled every-so-slightly forward. My front foot is at about a 30-degree angle forward and it's actually a few inches behind the bolts. I see a lot of people with their front foot much higher up on the board, but I find I get less height that way. If I'm just doing one on flat, my shoulders are pretty square, but if I'm going down or over something, my shoulders more closely approximate the angle of my front foot. I don't concentrate too hard on popping really hard and forcing it; the more relaxed I am the better they feel.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »
This is the only trick that I feel I'm really good and can make look great. It's probably my best quality as a person. If I happen to have an off day with them I feel like my life is falling apart.

My back foot is centred at the end of the tail and it's pretty much perpendicular to the board, but sometimes angled every-so-slightly forward. My front foot is at about a 30-degree angle forward and it's actually a few inches behind the bolts. I see a lot of people with their front foot much higher up on the board, but I find I get less height that way. If I'm just doing one on flat, my shoulders are pretty square, but if I'm going down or over something, my shoulders more closely approximate the angle of my front foot. I don't concentrate too hard on popping really hard and forcing it; the more relaxed I am the better they feel.

Thanks. Like Rodney Says: "Don't Dip Your Head!"

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for feebs on flat bars? im sick and tired of trying em for like 2 hours straight and doing nothing but missing it and doing a boardslide, get stuck and fly out or get stuck and eat shit. Ive wasted like 5 years of skating by making up excuses to myself to not try shit and now im 19 and i refuse to not be the best i can. i know it sounds kooky but its more of a personal goal.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for feebs on flat bars? im sick and tired of trying em for like 2 hours straight and doing nothing but missing it and doing a boardslide, get stuck and fly out or get stuck and eat shit. Ive wasted like 5 years of skating by making up excuses to myself to not try shit and now im 19 and i refuse to not be the best i can. i know it sounds kooky but its more of a personal goal.
That trick for me is just like how kickflips are for you... Some days I have them perfect every time, and some times I can't do them at all. they're definitely easier on round bars so I suggest trying them on that if there is one near you. Try not to ollie too high over the bar, but rather just high enough to ease onto it. You're going to want to lock in on the very edge of your truck, right side if you're goofy, left if you're regular, and keep your inner front wheel as close to the bar as possible, if you are dipped you're going to end up in a board slide. Keep your weight back throughout the grind and then lift up before the end. Easier said than done I guess, I hope this helps you at least a little bit...
God damn I feel like Will Easley typing out essays and shit haha
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:29:52 PM by sweat stains »
damn those yarys bout those squats