Author Topic: MJ Chrome Ball interview  (Read 41085 times)

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
Re: MJ Chrome Ball interview
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
That's fair.  I had to refresh my memory on who he was.  You can find him on a scooter here:
Scott Pazelt 411 #38

Damn looked so much better back in the day when people didn't yo out their tailwhips.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ty is calling out Commercial D.

Its like Dave Mayhew making fun of Scott Pazelt.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Care to 'splain' this reference? 
[close]

one was my hero ("the storm" times...) before i actually saw his pro shoe and got my 2nd skatevideo (compared to ty who made some of my favourite skatevideos including fully flared and then kooked it out totally), the other one was a guy i never took seriously. maybe its more of a personal reference. i somehow feel bad comparing scott and commercialD though.
[close]
That's fair.  I had to refresh my memory on who he was.  You can find him on a scooter here:
Scott Pazelt 411 #38

Ugh. When I think of "shitty late 90s / early 00s style", I think of Scott Pazelt. He was a friend of mine's favorite skater back in the day. That friend is now a scientologist. I think that says a lot.

say what you will about Ty but he helped shape the past 10+ years of skate videos and created some of the most iconic videos around. the fully flared/pretty sweet hate is all about personal taste but generally speaking this is the direction their videos have had for a while and it worked great for the companies. times are changing and people have to adapt whether or not we personally like every decision.

Many people have made great art at one time and then kooked it out. Modus is still my favorite vid of all time. Deleting MJ footage is unforgivable.

The worst part is that it seems Ty himself doesn't even like the videos he's making now. Go back a few pages and watch that Epicly Later'd...he talks about the stress and craziness of FF, how Chomp was so much more fun and they should make another video like that. So no one -- not the skaters, not the Pals, not Ty himself -- no one is happy with where videos went. Except the general non-skateboarding public, and 13-yr-olds. PROGRESS.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »
Ty will not be forgotten easily, but he will be remembered with something to his name. Pretty Sweet may not be appreciated here, but there are a ton of other non-forum-lurking skateboarders who really dig it.
He did create some of the greatest videos in Skateboarding, watch Modus Operandi and those who remember it, remember it.

But the angry internet dude side of me is fucking pissed off at the fact that the stopped a Marc Johnson "fun part" from ever being seen. Ty, I'm sure that the level that MJ was skating at in the lost part is nowhere near what is in Fully Flared or Pretty Sweet, but we dont give a double flying fuck about that. You see, we, as skateboarders and fans of skateboarding videos, don't get to constantly hang out with the best of best of the industry on a daily basis. We dont get to film them doing the craziest trick taking 7+ hours to land. For you, thats probably what you think we'll enjoy. But we want to see a humble side to MJ's skateboarding also, and thats the part that you dont seem to understand. Even if its badly filmed or the tricks are only curbstalls or parking block grinds, dork tricks and dumb stuff, we'd love to see it.

If some clips were used - cool. But at the end of the day, there are those of us who would really appreciate viewing the content in its original edit.

real talk!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
they mackin on cheese but all i see is cheese mac

;D ;D ;D

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2013, 07:02:28 AM »
Ty's a douche, MJ is phenomenon and MC is our lord and savoir.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
Ty will not be forgotten easily, but he will be remembered with something to his name. Pretty Sweet may not be appreciated here, but there are a ton of other non-forum-lurking skateboarders who really dig it.
He did create some of the greatest videos in Skateboarding, watch Modus Operandi and those who remember it, remember it.

But the angry internet dude side of me is fucking pissed off at the fact that the stopped a Marc Johnson "fun part" from ever being seen. Ty, I'm sure that the level that MJ was skating at in the lost part is nowhere near what is in Fully Flared or Pretty Sweet, but we dont give a double flying fuck about that. You see, we, as skateboarders and fans of skateboarding videos, don't get to constantly hang out with the best of best of the industry on a daily basis. We dont get to film them doing the craziest trick taking 7+ hours to land. For you, thats probably what you think we'll enjoy. But we want to see a humble side to MJ's skateboarding also, and thats the part that you dont seem to understand. Even if its badly filmed or the tricks are only curbstalls or parking block grinds, dork tricks and dumb stuff, we'd love to see it.

If some clips were used - cool. But at the end of the day, there are those of us who would really appreciate viewing the content in its original edit.

Best post in this thread. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Super Studio

• Rep: 0
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
It was a stressful time with a lot of shit clouding everyone's judgement. Everyone involved with FF probably has a list of things they'd go back and do differently if they could.

With MJ's other part it was just a timing thing with the release of FF. In hindsight it wasn't a big deal but at the time it felt like it.

I'm happy the part's being released.

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
It was a stressful time with a lot of shit clouding everyone's judgement. Everyone involved with FF probably has a list of things they'd go back and do differently if they could.

With MJ's other part it was just a timing thing with the release of FF. In hindsight it wasn't a big deal but at the time it felt like it.

I do appreciate you stopping by the Slap boards to give us your take on the story.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
I am... Ty Evans.. Light Man

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
Are you and MJ on good terms?

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »

Good to hear. Hindsight is a hell of a thing.

Now all that's out of the way, how you enjoying the Black Magic camera?
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »

This reads so funny to a queen like me because gay dudes use "FF" as shorthand for fist fucking.

"Everyone involved with fist fucking probably has a list of things they'd go back and do differently if they could."

JoeyStacks

• Rep: -4
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »

Modus will not be forgotten and truth is Ty made some good vids but pretty sweet bummed me out.
Every super tech bullshit flip in/out trick looked so desperate and gross.  I miss the days of 5 trick lines and homies filming.  This shit is trying to turn into a sport and if that is fully accomplished watch the shit disappear.  The whole game is fucked up.  It's supposed to be about pushing yourself not having somebody else push you.  MJ is the shit Tiltmode all day

foureyedjim

« Reply #253 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
Read both MJ interviews, read this whole thread, and it's still only noon...
Dave Chapelle about mushrooms
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:43:41 PM by foureyedjim »