Author Topic: Manhattan  (Read 2178 times)

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Manhattan
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
I'll be visiting in Manhattan June 26-July 1.  My brother lives in the Hells Kitchen area.  Never been to NYC before, or even the East Coast really.  Looking for some relatively easy parks/spots to go to in the area, and a shop or two if I can.  Any slap pals in the area?
For Your Health

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
Yeah that quartersnacks page is awesome.  I looked at that for hours the other day.  I'm definitely going to have to check out a couple of those spots.  I think my brother's apartment is pretty close to Chelsea skatepark so I'll probably spend a couple days there.
For Your Health

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »
I've just recently been there. A lot of these spots are hard to find in the concrete jungle. Some are busts at daytime so it'd be clever to skate there at night. But it's still soo fun to skate in New York.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »
Definitely I'll keep that in mind man.  NYC night footage always looks awesome, makes me want to try skating there at night ha

Is 12th and A still open?
For Your Health

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:14 AM »
Definitely I'll keep that in mind man.  NYC night footage always looks awesome, makes me want to try skating there at night ha

Nope 12th got torn down 2/3 months ago? for good this time after many attempts by the city in the past.  Chelsea's nice if you like big bowls and fast transition with most of the parks in nyc i recommend you go in the morning when its chill...Tribeca is along the same pier but towards downtown its more of a street park and a bit smaller both are made of concrete. LES Coleman skatepark is also downtown but on the east side your staying on the west if its in Hells Kitchen. I recommend skating to most of the downtown stuff and not taking the train you run into a ton of recognizable spots/landmarks/etc this way

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
I'm moving back to NYC in a couple of months and can't wait - spending a month or so in Berlin between LA and there though. I lived in Brooklyn and on a typical skate day I'd skate from my place down to washington park, maybe mccarren park, then perhaps the ledges at Maria Hernandez. After that I'd usually catch the train over to Manhattan to skate LES, then skate over to Tribeca park, and then I'd skate all the way up to Chelsea.

The best bit is just skating through the streets, skitching on taxis, ollie's over sewer drains, and powerslides. As I've gotten older that type of skating is just so much better to me than going on missions to spots or skateparks.

H.E. Pennypacker

• Rep: 0
  • Wealthy Industrialist, Philanthropist, Bicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
This is Dr. Steve Brule.  I don't have my old account password.

Yo send me a PM if you want to skate, that goes to anyone.  I'll be there June 26-July 1

Shredsledder

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
while this thread is here does anyone know where :40 is?

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:53:05 AM »
I'm not from NYC but I here's some things I learned from my visit.

Get a 7 day metro card so you can ride the subway and buses free for a week ($30)

Download Google maps to your cellphone and type in your destinations and sort your results for "public transportation." That app will tell you what station to go to, what train to take and what time it departs. Also, download the "NYC subway" app cause it has a map of the NYC subways built into it. That way you can be sure, where you are when you are underground (phone data doesn't work when you are on subways) Give it 2 days and you will have mastered of the subways like a local.

Okay, now that you have the free and fast transportation anywhere in the city, it's time to reference this  http://newyorkcityskateparks.com. and that quartersnacks link (wish I would have had that during my visit)

There are plenty of places to drink in NYC at night and I highly recommend Max Fish on Sunday nights. It's not so crowded then.

People/media have taught me that the people of NYC are rude and pushy but from my experience, nothing can be farther from the truth. Be kind, respectful, positive, and don't waste anyone's time and you'll get along fine in the greatest city on earth.
ableSkateMag.com

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope 12th got torn down 2/3 months ago? for good this time after many attempts by the city in the past.  Chelsea's nice if you like big bowls and fast transition with most of the parks in nyc i recommend you go in the morning when its chill...Tribeca is along the same pier but towards downtown its more of a street park and a bit smaller both are made of concrete. LES Coleman skatepark is also downtown but on the east side your staying on the west if its in Hells Kitchen. I recommend skating to most of the downtown stuff and not taking the train you run into a ton of recognizable spots/landmarks/etc this way

Agree. You can ride the train downtown but at least once on your trip you should skate down from where you're staying - to LES park or wherever, you'll see/skate more stuff that way. If it's your first time in the city it'll probably be the most fun to just skate around with just a general idea of some stuff you want to hit and there will be plenty of stuff in between. You'll be staying close to midtown spots but good luck with the security guards

atswimtwobirds

• Rep: -109
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
skate the street. you got over 6,000 bars to choose from but I suggest hit up max fish before it closes up shop like mars bar, which was for punks what m fish is for skaters.

H.E. Pennypacker

• Rep: 0
  • Wealthy Industrialist, Philanthropist, Bicyclist
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
I'm gonna bump this.  Steve Brule was my last account but the password is long gone now.

Who wants to skate in Manhattan June 26-July 1   ?

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is in Manhattan or not. But I know it's somewhere in the 4 boroughs.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »
Bump.

Tardvark and I are going skating.

Who else is game?  Just to clarify I'm 20 so I won't be going to any bars.  I'll be in midtown manhattan and I've never been to NYC before or skated a big city.
For Your Health

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
I just moved to Queens right outside of Brooklyn. Depending on my work schedule I'd be down to skate.

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
I usually make an effort to leave Long Island every so often to skate the city, even if it's just Flushing for a night session. Our paths will probably cross  :)

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
A quick bump before I get there Wednesday.  Anyone else down to skate?
For Your Health

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
I live in bk but i might be down to skate if im not working but im always skating around..

LloydChristmas

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:08 AM »
I'm gonna be in the city tonight through sunday doing a photo shoot, but in my off time I'd be down to shoot skating.  I don't have my board with me unfortunately so I need something to do aside from sit around drunk.  If somebody can provide their old cruiser for the day that would be incredible...I'd get you back by filming and shooting photo...