Author Topic: Theeve Trucks Thread  (Read 25403 times)

Anti-Hetro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -49
  • I used to rape guys like you in prison!
Re: Theeve Summer '13 catalog (Introducing the V3)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
Nigga please looks like a Tracker Trucks... Ugly as fuck....
They have the best weight, turning and durability, but yeah... ugly as fuck (or too much like Thunder to be aesthetically pleasing)... and the pricing must suck for everybody outside of Australia.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Theeve Trucks Thread
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
I want to get a pair of TiH and put the hangers on ACE's magplates

fyi: theeve hangers on ace bases alleviates the old bushing problem

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 11:23:52 PM »
this may totally be off base, but I'd never get the tiH's because they look like they grind horribly. I know it's absurd, but its a mental association I've had with 'raw' trucks forever, not just these, but thunders and whatever else.

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »

This is with the older Theeves right? I still have my CSX and they have a lot of life in them yet, it would be good to use them once my ace hangars are done.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is with the older Theeves right? I still have my CSX and they have a lot of life in them yet, it would be good to use them once my ace hangers are done.

Yeah V2 and previous had a nasty rep for de-coring bones meds, but I didn't have the issue when I put em on my ACE baseplates.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
this may totally be off base, but I'd never get the tiH's because they look like they grind horribly. I know it's absurd, but its a mental association I've had with 'raw' trucks forever, not just these, but thunders and whatever else.

Cause they aren't painted or shiny?

I'm stoked on the design of the Tih....it looks all thinned out like an ACE....I found they grind good and alway look a week old.....pretty sure they spark more....I often find myself smelling my trucks.....

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm stoked on the design of the Tih....it looks all thinned out like an ACE....I found they grind good and alway look a week old.....pretty sure they spark more....I often find myself smelling my trucks.....

I think I'm going to get a set of some TiH for the shape alone, I wish they had 5.5s

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
I've been riding the TiH 5.5 for over a year now and I don't think that a titanium hanger is the best for all terrain.  It grinds amazing on normal ledges and curbs (the TiH is best truck for slappys hands down) but grinding metal is too inconsistent for me, so much so that I'm switching. Sometimes it grinds good and sometimes it comes to a halt.  At first I attributed it to abused metal coping but thats not the case, the titanium is the problem.

I'll probably go back to the TIAX or maybe try out the 139 Independent stage 11 since they went back to the old (good) geometry. If you want a lengthy review, heres a thread I started a while back on the Thrasher forums:

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/forum/index/topic12257.0/

m477

Re: Theeve Summer '13 catalog (Introducing the V3)
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

I never cared for Thunders, they are most like Ace. The Oval is the best part, but i had trouble with the pivot cups blowing out widened the slot. this was on the CSX tho not the TIAX

I actually really liked it when that happened to my old TIAX!  I tried duplicating the effect by cutting up the bottom out of the pivot cup on my TiH but it didn't work as well as I expected, now it just gets wheel bite easier

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
I've been riding the TiH 5.5 for over a year now and I don't think that a titanium hanger is the best for all terrain.  It grinds amazing on normal ledges and curbs (the TiH is best truck for slappys hands down) but grinding metal is too inconsistent for me, so much so that I'm switching. Sometimes it grinds good and sometimes it comes to a halt.  At first I attributed it to abused metal coping but thats not the case, the titanium is the problem.

I'll probably go back to the TIAX or maybe try out the 139 Independent stage 11 since they went back to the old (good) geometry. If you want a lengthy review, heres a thread I started a while back on the Thrasher forums:

Indy just dropped the titanium axle, forged baseplate stage 11. I'd go with that over the TiAX

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
pretty much, but I really only mean the raw thunders and tiH. can't do painted, either. dumb logic, but its just one of those stupid things like red top plies.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indy just dropped the titanium axle, forged baseplate stage 11. I'd go with that over the TiAX

Forged hollows! Not at it matters, but if you've ever held the Ti Kinpin by itself you'd be shocked as hell, even comparing to the indy or thunder hollow pins.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »
Good to know about those TiH, I'll stick with tikings.

I saw that Indy is feeling the pressure and using titanium axles now, but the hanger is still alum and the kingpins are still steel
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:24:00 AM by Firebert »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
On my tiaxs the top bushing blew...on my Tihs the bottom one is blowing...I saw that he comments about the switch to the ACE base plate but after spending like a hundred bucks for a set of trucks....I'm just gonna keep replacing bushings or see if I can ram in a bottom washer....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »
Good to know about those TiH, I'll stick with tikings.

I saw that Indy is feeling the pressure and using titanium axles now, but the hanger is still alum and the kingpins are still steel

That puts them on par with Thunder Ti Lights, arguably Thunder is their biggest competition with Theeve still being nice and with a meh rep.

Theeve mentioned forged plates coming later in the year, TiKing with forged plates sounds like a hell of a mid.

m477

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »

Forged hollows! Not at it matters, but if you've ever held the Ti Kinpin by itself you'd be shocked as hell, even comparing to the indy or thunder hollow pins.

Yeah I was looking at those but I'm not a fan of the hollow kingpin or light baseplate. I like the baseplate to feel solid and maintain a center of gravity. Call me crazy but with the hollow kingpin and light baseplate, the setup seems weird and top heavy. Plus, I like a slightly taller truck and the normal stage 11 is now 55mm just like Theeve. The hollow forged is a bit lower. I'll probably end up with the 5.5 TIAX but the stage 11 is tempting... if only Indy made an 8.25

Will Easley

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I was looking at those but I'm not a fan of the hollow kingpin or light baseplate. I like the baseplate to feel solid and maintain a center of gravity. Call me crazy but with the hollow kingpin and light baseplate, the setup seems weird and top heavy. Plus, I like a slightly taller truck and the normal stage 11 is now 55mm just like Theeve. The hollow forged is a bit lower. I'll probably end up with the 5.5 TIAX but the stage 11 is tempting... if only Indy made an 8.25

yeah dude the tiax's are pretty good. been skating mine for a couple weeks or so now & I'm hyped on em. they have somewhat of a "beefier" grind but at the same time they're still lighter than most trucks. turn pretty good too. cant wait til i get my hollow titanium kingpins and make em even lighter.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
cant wait til i get my hollow titanium kingpins and make em even lighter.
hope you got a vice handy, don't go at it with a hammer and cinder blocks

Will Easley

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah i have a vice. one of the guys at theeve sent me some pictures of how some customer did it, which i guess looks like it makes sense. how would you go at it using a vice? ive never had to swap out kingpins before so excuse me for being a n00b lol.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah i have a vice. one of the guys at theeve sent me some pictures of how some customer did it, which i guess looks like it makes sense. how would you go at it using a vice? ive never had to swap out kingpins before so excuse me for being a n00b lol.

Hell if I know, I don't have one... I just know that the ol' hammer won't do it because I tried that and bent my baseplates in half before I ever got the kingpin in there. I ended up sending 'em in to theeve so they could do it for me--which they graciously did and sent me a free hat for my troubles.

As for that picture... I wish I would've thought of that. Looks like he's just tightening the nut at the top to pull the kingpin in place.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have changed mine out a couple times, heres how i did it, taking the solid kingpin out i got a thick timber board, held the baseplate just over the edge so the kingpin hole wasnt covered, hammered it out, then too put the new one in, i placed the baseplate upside down in my vice, and rested the flat part of it on the vice, tightening it around the skinnier part, lined up the kingpin grooves with those in the baseplate and used the old kingpin to hammer the new one in, making sure the grooves line up is key, after youve done one, line it up with the other unchanged baseplate just too see if its at the right height and all that, did it with my TiH and those things were light as all fuck

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  I don't think the full titanium hangers on the TiH get along very well with angle iron.  I decided to buy some Thunders awhile back because I swore that there was something wrong with the way the Theeves grind on angle iron but I wasn't quite sure.  I love Thunders and have been happy with them for the last few months but this happened recently...

I still had my TiH sitting around so I mounted them up thinking maybe that I was just being a douche and the whole sticking thing was just in my head.  I tried them again and was surprised at how good they felt the second time around.  The turning is so perfect and they just feel really crisp.  Power slides, reverts and landings feel like you are on rails, like the trucks are self correcting.  Unfortunately as soon as I hopped on some angle iron I noticed the sticking again and realized that it wasn't just in my head.  I was hitting a ledge that I had no problem sliding across on the Thunders and there was a very noticeable difference with the TiHs.  If my weight distribution was just a little off they would stop dead on the ledge or at best slow down quite a bit.  Even if I went relatively fast and could grind it out, I could still feel a weird drag/crunchy feeling that I didn't have with the Thunders.  I haven't hit a bowl with them again yet but from what I remember they are fine on round metal coping.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
wouldn't the tiax be better then?

Will Easley

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »

yeah the tiax or tikings would seem to be the better option. I too was interested in the TiH but the tikings are already probably the lightest truck on the market (excluding those magnesium tensors or some some shit) and they grind perfect on anything. I think the tiaxs & tikings are made of a titanium alloy so its like the best of both worlds. they grind well and can power through sticker ledges, but they still grind just fine on rails & angle iron. so far im loving mine so i think im gonna hop on the theeve bandwagon for a while. I cant really see another truck skating better than what i already have.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »
To me turning wise you can't compare a theeve to a thunder....

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »

If you skate a lot of ledges then my suggestion would be the TiKings if the Ti Alloy grinds better than the full Ti.  My absolute only complaint with the TiH is the drag on angle iron.  I am not a small dude and weigh around 190 lbs. so that probably isn't helping but I don't have any problem with aluminum hangers.  I hit some bowls yesterday and the TiH grind great on round coping and pretty much everything else but I was also skating a ledge like the one pictured below that just has a sliver of metal along the edge and I still noticed a lot of drag...

I have had a few sets of Indy's that shit the bed with some pretty bad axle slip and that's what sold me on the "axle-less" hanger and I figured the full Ti would be pretty indestructible, which it appears to be, so I wish the full titanium worked better for me.  I have a fresh pair of Ace's that I'll need to get through before my next set of trucks but I'll likely go for the TiKings if I buy a set of Theeves.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Sure I can. Thunders turn very quick and sharp, they are quite nice, but I got too much wheelbite riding them loose. Theeves are just as responsive but prevent that issue. They just feel more stable imo

Will Easley

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sure I can. Thunders turn very quick and sharp, they are quite nice, but I got too much wheelbite riding them loose. Theeves are just as responsive but prevent that issue. They just feel more stable imo

This^. I was previously skating some thunders that turned nicely but I was getting hella wheelbite until I threw some big ass risers on there. My theeves without any risers pretty much feel the same now that the bushings are 100% broken in.

m477

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »

Agree. I know everyone has a preference but Thunders turn nothing like Theeves. Not saying they're bad, a lot of my friends ride thunder but the turning feel is significantly different.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree. I know everyone has a preference but Thunders turn nothing like Theeves. Not saying they're bad, a lot of my friends ride thunder but the turning feel is significantly different.
Comparing the two doesn't imply similarity though.

Thunders are going to feel stable because they effectively increase your wheelbase by placing the axles further apart, but they are also going to turn sharper because of it. .

Theeve's axles are more towards the center of the truck which provides a mellower turn at first, but by having an oval yoke pulls the wheels toward the center of the deck as opposed to downward when you turn (less wheelbite).

Picture of the oval yoke (in case you are wondering what the yoke is)