Author Topic: Filmer sponsor me tapes?  (Read 2232 times)

#notacop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Filmer sponsor me tapes?
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
Do filmers ever make sponsor me tapes? Like, is that a thing? How else do filmers get hooked up with video firms?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Re: Filmer sponsor me tapes?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:13:54 PM »
In the Joe Castrucci Berrics Feature he talks about sending off a highlight reel of some title screens he cooked up to Alien Workshop and how that led to them adding him as a filmer (and then Team Manager/Editor/Creative Director for Habitat when it was created)

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
I sent a demo reel tape to Black Box once seeing if I could get a job filming there, which was kind of silly because usually those come about from already skating a lot of with the team, but Mike Gilbert wrote me a nice e-mail back politely saying they were fully staffed on filmers.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
filmers usually film really good dudes some known and some unknown make a video of some sorts or just drop alot of footage then get in the industry that way.  A few filmers came up that way

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
From what I've seen, the best way to be "hooked up" as a filmer is to film like crazy, and social climb your way to filming with ams/pros/people that will likely be ams or pros soon, and making edits that will get seen in the right situations. Ideally, if you are filming enough and get crazy enough footage that you have filmed well (including angle, stability, colors, all sorts of shit 99% of people with a camera won't even think about) and somebody will ask you for a clip, and if they like it, they'll start asking you for them more often, and eventually they'll suggest  you to people who want to do something but don't have anybody to film it.

From everything I've heard though, you'll probably get more money and respect working at McDonalds unless you are one of like 3 guys in the entire industry. A few years ago I heard in a very friend-of-a-friend way that the main filmer for foundation during the "That's life" era worked exclusively for product. I've also known people who film and send invoices (aka charge per clip) and they claim some people pay, and others just claim they will and never do.

Basically, film because you enjoy the art of it, not because you think its a pathway to a legitimate career.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
I sent a some work to SPOT last week when they haD A product photographer job available. They said  that the spot had been filled but they offered me an option to cover special events. I couldn't do it cause it wasn't full time and I'm live in Atlanta

Sent some work to kayo when the playground opened. I think the dude they need up using was already a dgk homie.

It was a rumor that trukfit was gonna operate out of the park Wayne bought near Atlanta and do a playground esq thing. I sent some work to some young money contacts I know. I gotta email from the company that runs trukfit (same company that runs rocawear and some other urban brands) telling me they'd contact me when things finalized. Never heard back.

My homie just got back from LA filming for some small female brand. He found them through Facebook and sent them some footy.

So yeah. That's what it takes. You'd be surprise the feedback you get if you try it out
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:20:00 PM by TwisT »

Hammersleycinema

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
All about location and who you know.  I got my first studio job because I knew the creative director.  Just film skating for fun.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
this is a depressing ass thread.
dude just mail your tapes and if you don't hear back; fuck it and send them another one. keep getting better at your craft and keep sending those tapes until they ask you to stop.  There is no harm in trying.  In most skilled professions when its time to get a career you either start pumping out resumes or start your own shit.  shit with enough effort you may end up with with the largest prison library on this side of the mississippi.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

93tilinfinity

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
Good luck.

p.s. Move somewhere like LA, SD or SF.