Author Topic: Germany  (Read 2586 times)

Stab n Kill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Germany
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
Can any European slap heads (actually any one really) recommend some cities, or even spots within said cities, to check out while I visit my ex girlfriend in halle.   I plan on spending time in Germany from August 1st to the 15th,  and so far the only thing I have planned is to stay with my ex girl for the first five days of the trip.  The remaining 10 days, is up to me; so really my question is "what would you do if in my shoes?"  Also, if any one would want to show a Bostonian around such cities as Berlin, Halle or Frankfurt, let me know.  It'd be cool to skate with some locals there.  My ex and her girl friends in Halle are also fun, attractive German birds so I can provide some tail on nights out. 

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Germany
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »
Berlin is good for skating, lots of spots and a vital local crew around there.

However, since I am born and bred in Hamburg I cant really offer you any advice regarding Halle or Frankfurt.

If I would be in your shows, I would probadly stay in Berlin for the remaining 10 days. Berlin has the best nightlife in Germany, crazy nights and people guaranteed!

Potsdamer Platz is the most famous spot I can think right now. You should be fine just going there and then talk to some fellow German skaters, usually they are more than happy to help out with additonal info.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
Appreciate the advice Adrian.  I just saw a clip of louie barletta cruising around Berlin on the skateboardermag.com.  That short, called The Berlin Wall Incident, got me hyped to skate the city.  I just started to learn some German for the portion of the trip when I am on my own, or whenever the girls not around.  So far, I have learned that saying pillow in German sounds exactly like how you'd say kissing in English.  As you can tell, I am learning in strides.

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
Jup, you are all set to go!

But dont bother that much about learning German because every German is forced over and over again to learn Englisch in school so they are usually pretty excited to finally use it when talking to foreigners.

Oh and dont forget to eat as much D?ner (Kebab) as you possibly can. Been to the USA many, many times and it is just not the same over there....

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »
I'll be in berlin may 19-21, anyone want to meet up?

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
So many good spots in berlin! I remember Titus used to have a spotguide with the most well known spots around the city. There is also some sort of empty swimming stadium pool thing. Lots of Banks and stuff, dont remember the adress, but the locals is super friendly and is without a doubt willing to show you around.

D?ner kebab is the shit!!!

ryangoose

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
I'm taking the train in on the 22nd, just a day too late. Anyone know the name of the spot with the asphalt humps in a row? I really wanna skate there, looks super fun.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm taking the train in on the 22nd, just a day too late. Anyone know the name of the spot with the asphalt humps in a row? I really wanna skate there, looks super fun.
just take the train aka. "s-bahn" to treptower park and push from there. the street is called "vor dem schlesischen tor" between schlesische strasse and puschkin allee. there is a madass permanent yard sale round the corner in the "TAC", make sure to check it out while you are there, shitloads of crazy stuff to buy.
for other spot questions get a map and either go to the ledge spot at "warschauer strasse" next to the skate hall or go to "search and destroy" skateshop in the oranienstrasse in kreuzberg.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:01:53 PM by pica »

ryangoose

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
just take the train aka. "s-bahn" to treptower park and push from there. the street is called "vor dem schlesischen tor" between schlesische strasse and puschkin allee. there is a madass permanent yard sale round the corner in the "TAC", make sure to check it out while you are there, shitloads of crazy stuff to buy.
for other spot questions get a map and either go to the ledge spot at "warschauer strasse" next to the skate hall or go to "search and destroy" skateshop in the oranienstrasse in kreuzberg.

danke sch?n!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
just to make sure, i'm talking about this spot

that is right next to this ledge

but then i was wondering if you are actually looking for this one

so if you search the last take the metro to "Mierendorffplatz" it's on the corner of "wiebestra?e" and "kaiserin augusta allee"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:21:34 PM by pica »

ryangoose

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
I was thinking of the later, now I just have two good bump spots to go skate! good looks.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »
I stayed In Wiesbaden for two weeks in 2008. It was pretty sick. There is a so-so indoor park and a pretty cool concert venue there. We saw a local metal band play and I was blown away seeing 15 year old girls getting wasted at the bar. I didnt really get to skate street because it was January, but I seen some pretty good spots. I was suprised that there were two skateshops very close to eachother.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 03:08:23 AM »
To all the German heads

We were thinking about going to berlin and it's going to take something like 10 hours, so a brief stop mid road would be great..maybe we could skate then back driving..
My question is..are there some bomb skateparks near Nurnberg either south or north on highway 9 where you can get off and on pretty fast?
Thanks in advance
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:34 AM »
In the unlikely case you're near Kassel, hit me up. Not the best city but we have this
https://vimeo.com/53788906#
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:35:41 AM by _UniversalTruth_ »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

jsef

• Rep: -1
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »
To all the German heads

We were thinking about going to berlin and it's going to take something like 10 hours, so a brief stop mid road would be great..maybe we could skate then back driving..
My question is..are there some bomb skateparks near Nurnberg either south or north on highway 9 where you can get off and on pretty fast?
Thanks in advance

N?rnberg has got a new concrete park which looks pretty good () Are you driving from Munich to Berlin?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 07:45:16 AM »
Expand Quote
To all the German heads

Thanks in advance
[close]

N?rnberg has got a new concrete park which looks pretty good () Are you driving from Munich to Berlin?

We're coming all the way from Italy so it's going to be nuts since it's something like 4 hours just to reach Munich lol but Nurnberg seems located pretty much halfway, so thanks a lot for the skatepark info, that's what I'm talking about  :)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
Since we're on the topic, can anyone tell me about the process of getting a visa for Germany?

I really want to move to Berlin next spring for a year or so. I've worked in high end hotels for  several years now, hoping I could land a job.

Also went to film school, and done freelance work. I've read about "artist visas" that are granted with a portfolio??

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Also, how important is it that I have at least conversational German down if I want to be employed/live there?

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 02:45:56 AM »
Since we're on the topic, can anyone tell me about the process of getting a visa for Germany?

I really want to move to Berlin next spring for a year or so. I've worked in high end hotels for  several years now, hoping I could land a job.

Also went to film school, and done freelance work. I've read about "artist visas" that are granted with a portfolio??

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Also, how important is it that I have at least conversational German down if I want to be employed/live there?

I have absolutely no clue as faras visas go whatsoever. As for German, rule of thumb is: the more, the merrier. It's that simple really. That being said, it all depends on the cirumstances. If you're co-workers are international folks, you won't need it much. If it's mostly comprised of locals, it might come in handy. Especially in Berlin, most people have quite a command of English but, as with any other foreign language, don't expect anyone to lead group conversations in English just because you don't speak the local tongue. Basic German will help you a lot doing grocery shopping, dealing with authorities, talking to older people etc.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:50:39 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »