Author Topic: SF, Portland trip  (Read 1433 times)

skatefideo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
SF, Portland trip
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm taking the train from Vancouver, BC to SF on april 1st and cycling back to Victoria, BC taking the 101 and stopping in Portland hopefully for a few days. I'm planning on staying in SF for 3 to 4 days, same with Portland and I was wondering if anyone was interested in showing us some spots/parks while we are there and maybe let my friend Koji and I crash/camp in your backyard? We are camping the whole way back and filming the whole thing. Even some tips on where to go and what to do would help so much!

Thanks a lot!

Fabian

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • facebook avatar image
Re: SF, Portland trip
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
make sure to check out brooklyn street skate spot in portland.

http://www.facebook.com/brooklynstreetskatespot

if the weather is shitty you can check out commonwealth. small, but fun.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Commonwealth-Skateboarding/193644940661093?fref=ts

at least stop by burnside if youve never been there. and there are plenty of other great parks in that general area too.

johnn

• Rep: 22
  • twitty
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
bump. didn't want to start another portland thread. me and a friend are moving out there in a week or so from nc, any pals know where some cheap apartments are somewhat close to downtown? been looking on craigslist, but figured i'd see if anybody here knew some good deals.
I vaguely recall a big brawl outside with me getting head-butted by Kurtis Colamonico
Club Monaco killin' it

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
bump. didn't want to start another portland thread. me and a friend are moving out there in a week or so from nc, any pals know where some cheap apartments are somewhat close to downtown? been looking on craigslist, but figured i'd see if anybody here knew some good deals.

My sister had a good deal on a high-rise in China Town a few years ago.  It was government subsidized and good if you didn't make a lot of money.  I think it was called Pacific Tower Apartments.  I think the rent went up though.  They were pretty nice too.

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
definitely skate the Ed Benedict skate plaza, that place is so fun, perfect granite ledges everywhere and all the manual pads your heart could desire. Forest grove is a great park too, just about 15 minutes outside Portland. Lots of good parks inside Portland too.  Burnside, Tualitin, pier park, hillsboro. All alot of fun.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
Odd, I never saw this thread, Fabian and Koji stayed with me while they were in Portland.

Onto the new topic: Craigslist is pretty weak as far as finding places in Portland. I've gotten lucky, but still a lot of the listings are further out and not a very good value. Search for rental management companies in Portland. I think they're the best bet for a sight unseen apartment rental. The Inner-East side of town is nice, fairly mellow, and reasonably priced. I hope that helps. I'll try to check back into the thread and keep my eye out for places. Good luck.

Edit: My wife and I walked to see a movie earlier, on the way there were a few apartment complexes with vacancies. You can try this place, it's a large property management company so they will have tons of apartments all over town, www.apmportland.com.

This place seemed pretty mellow, 27th Terrace 503-284-7568, it didn't appear to be rented through a property management company, which can go either way.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:23:47 AM by pinche gringo »

johnn

• Rep: 22
  • twitty
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:23:35 AM »
preciate the help dudes, i guess i'm looking for a 2 bedroom somewhere on the northeast side. that property management company looks like they have some alright places. not sure if i qualify for subsidized hud housing or not since i dont have a job currently, don't they base your rent off how much you make?  anyway, should be out there in about 10 days or something like that if anybody here wants to meet up and skate.
I vaguely recall a big brawl outside with me getting head-butted by Kurtis Colamonico
Club Monaco killin' it

JohnnyQueef

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
Don't post much on here, but I'd thought ask those who are already out there: How's SW Portland?

Starting school in August (Chicagoland native), and my roommates and I are ending up in an apartment in that area. It's only a few stops out of downtown, but I'm still unsure about the location--seems way sicker east of the river.

Anyways, Brooklyn Street looks rad as fuck.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
Don't post much on here, but I'd thought ask those who are already out there: How's SW Portland?

Starting school in August (Chicagoland native), and my roommates and I are ending up in an apartment in that area. It's only a few stops out of downtown, but I'm still unsure about the location--seems way sicker east of the river.

Anyways, Brooklyn Street looks rad as fuck.

SW is cool. Brooklyn Street is rad and challenging. What school are you going to?

preciate the help dudes, i guess i'm looking for a 2 bedroom somewhere on the northeast side. that property management company looks like they have some alright places. not sure if i qualify for subsidized hud housing or not since i dont have a job currently, don't they base your rent off how much you make?  anyway, should be out there in about 10 days or something like that if anybody here wants to meet up and skate.
Did you find a place?

JohnnyQueef

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »
SW is cool. Brooklyn Street is rad and challenging. What school are you going to?

L&C Law. I don't think I'll have much time to shred around the city, but I'll definitely be a weekend warrior at the parks.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »
That's great, congratulations. Gabriel Park in SW is super fun. My wife is applying to the law program at Lewis & Clark next year. She's applying to some other schools also, but I hope to stay in Portland.

43s&slappies

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:58:56 AM »

I'm moving from Arizona, will be driving out this Thursday. I've been craiglisting as well but am interested in finding some roommates.
pm me if you want to try and figure something out, if anything we should meet up and skate when you get into town.

JohnnyQueef

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
That's great, congratulations. Gabriel Park in SW is super fun. My wife is applying to the law program at Lewis & Clark next year. She's applying to some other schools also, but I hope to stay in Portland.

Awesome, hope it works out for her. The school has a lot going for it and features some great programs, but I'd be lying if I said living in Portland (and the PNW in general) didn't sway my decision.