Author Topic: Jobs after skateboarding  (Read 6561 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Jobs after skateboarding
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
As you all know Heath Kirchart retired from skateboarding professionally and now works as a team manager for Emerica

Most of you know that pro skateboarders are broke. After their 3-5 years of fame they have no choice but to get a real job and contribute to society

QUESTION: What pro skaters have you seen in the workforce? It would be kind of weird seeing Tony Trujillo washing dishes at the local Papa Johns lol.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
Re: Jobs after skateboarding
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:15 PM »
pro skateboarders don't even know what work is. im pretty sure they all eventually just get fat and live out of their van and do meth while reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Will Easley

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
The smart ones either work for or start their own brand or they cash out while they can and invest.

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
pro skateboarders don't even know what work is. im pretty sure they all eventually just get fat and live out of their van and do meth while reminiscing about the good ol' days.
Brian Wenning comes to mind, Selfish signed his fat ass based on his name alone. He is legit fat though so meth is out of the equation

4wheels

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:07 PM »
doesnt joey pepper lay tile or something? its probably hard to go work at an actual job since they have probably never had one. what expros should do is start another griptape/sunglass company. cause you know we can never have to may of those...

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
Scott Johnston works for Lakai as a designer/web guy. Robbie McKinley works for MySpace and made skate dice. Luis Cruz works in the Dwindle Factory. John Ponts (I believe that's who) is a pilot in AK and even got on a Tv show and shit.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Brian Wenning comes to mind, Selfish signed his fat ass based on his name alone. He is legit fat though so meth is out of the equation
nah, its still in the equation. you should see my uncle.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
westgate should start a comune and let old skaters go out to pasture working in his bog. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »
Peter watkins is a carpenter i think

Sean eaton works at a skateshop

Pluhowski's got a pretty decent furniture and home woodworking business thing going on

Steve berra runs the berrics

Henry sanchez is a mechanic

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
Tony Ferguson works for the clothing brand Alife, Tim Gavin does office/corporate stuff for Podium Dist. I think Rudy Johnson also does Royal Trucks. Seems like most of these dudes do industry shit after their shine is up. I think Wade Spyer does construction even while he was pro for Black Label. Its either the skate industry, an entry level job or college seem to be what most former pro's have done after their careers.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Dick Rogers

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
Shortys Steve Olson plays electric bongos with machine elves.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

stepfather666

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Peter watkins is a carpenter i think

Sean eaton works at a skateshop

Pluhowski's got a pretty decent furniture and home woodworking business thing going on

Steve berra runs the berrics

Henry sanchez is a mechanic

Peter Watkins lays roofing, and has for his whole skateboarding career

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Jordan Hoffart makes fences

stepfather666

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »

He also works in this WACK shop called All-a-board

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
Andy Roy is on Ray J's rape team
damn those yarys bout those squats

Will Easley

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Andy Roy is on Ray J's rape team

hahahaha

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:12 PM »
Richard Mulder works on cheese burgers and forces the word of Christ down adolescents' throats.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 02:17:59 AM »
Chad Fernandez became n Academy Award winner for best actor in Grind , so tight

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 06:29:22 AM »
i've searched for a lot of the old H Street San Diego pros online and it seems like most of them are bums, claiming their occupation is "Djing" but usually of their Dj pics are in hole in the wall bars with about 20 people in them. I'm gonna assume that most of their income comes from selling weed. Duane Pitre lives here and was doing internet stuff but he's pretty talented at finding ways to get paid for being Duane Pitre, Shannon May another Louisiana legend pro either does electrical work or plumbing i always get it confused.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Matt beach worked for fed ex before trying to make a small comeback with his right foot forward part a few years ago, not sure if hes still skating.

I heard Evan Hernandez became like a drug dealer, and was slanging coke at a tradeshow, that was a rumor though.

Alot of pros do try to start a company hoping to cash in but most of time it doesn't work out unless they come up with something completely original which is rare now a days. Also by then they are in their 30's and are way behind today's non skaters who by then have over 10 years experience in any kind of workforce.   

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I don't get what happened to Matt Beach. Dude got on Skate Mental and Nike and aside from that tour video on Thrasher, you haven't seen much.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Tracer

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
I don't get what happened to Matt Beach. Dude got on Skate Mental and Nike and aside from that tour video on Thrasher, you haven't seen much.
He was in GRIND also, maybe that's a good second option... Hoffart does stunt work and acts in movies, it can't be all that difficult to be an extra in some shit film

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »

All your favourite pros of today will be barefoot here in another 5 years

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
That box on the left is filled with Dylan & Austyn's future wife beaters and v necks.

Tracer

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Richard Mulder works on cheese burgers and forces the word of Christ down adolescents' throats.
Is there any truth to this? Don't tell me he went the way of Brian Sumner...

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Is there any truth to this? Don't tell me he went the way of Brian Sumner...

That's a total crock of shit. Mulder is a really good dude, and he also runs Heel Bruise. It's his company.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
Skaters, when they're coming up, get rewarded for ditching out on the responsibilities of a normal young adult.  Just party, travel, skate, and make dough for it.  If I was 18 and in that situation I'm sure I wouldn't give a shit about what happens when I'm 30.  So yeah, they end up with shitty jobs later on.  I guess you blame either the system or their teenage minds for making those decisions.

Also, I don't know about cheeseburgers, but Mulder used to do this:

http://www.malakye.com/asp/front/CMSPage.asp?TYP_ID=1&ID=1591

shone237

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
Richard co-owns one of the raddest brands and people just want to point out his past ventures and private life. Slap, the TMZ of skateboarding.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
nah, its still in the equation. you should see my uncle.
word. Plenty of obese tweakers in my town.