Author Topic: Shit you've built ( not necessarily a diy spot )  (Read 2167 times)

coneklr

Shit you've built ( not necessarily a diy spot )
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
First, not sure where to put this and the diy thread maybe would of worked but is in a really lame area to begin with!  Plus although this will be at my local diy spot, it's an individual piece my friend and I just built that is portable so it may not be...

Found out my mall was selling benches as they were replacing them 6' for $25, could not pass it up as even with no work it was a steal

I had bigger plans though, so we hit up Lowes
4x3' long strips of marble
4x tiles cut to our measurements
3 filler pieces of plywood (center tiles were not as thick as the marble)
misc shit (screws/liquid nails/clamps)

Originally I just wanted the legs and was going to build a whole new platform, but for the sake of time/money we decided to just build off this base.

After the supplies were cut/purchased it was off to the garage to assemble

Marble laid on one side, sizing up filler pieces of plywood and second side of marble

Filler wood screwed down, tile laid and secured, other side of marble down ... and time to clamp it down

Clamps off

Laid the cock but didn't wipe up yet hahaha

If you made it this long thanks!  We just wanted to do something besides cinder blocks and angle iron.  I'll update you with how it skates/holds up this weekend.  One shitty thing we noticed was that the bench was slightly warped and may end up being an issue with a piece of the center tile... we'll see.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:13:25 PM by coneklr »

ZEBRA

Re: Shit you've built ( not necessarily a diy spot )
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
Good work!!! Looks nice!!! Let us know how it skates!!!

EnjoiSanJose

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
That's rad, have you seen the portable ledges busenitz builds it's so complicated which makes it a thousand times radder

coneklr

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks guys!  I really wanted to used the black marble and keep it classy but they didn't have matching tile for the middle that would of worked as well haha.

Good work!!! Looks nice!!! Let us know how it skates!!!

Will do for sure!  Will try to get a bit of video if I can as well!

That's rad, have you seen the portable ledges busenitz builds it's so complicated which makes it a thousand times radder

Yeah his stuff is amazing and well beyond our knowledge and skillset!  :)

coneklr

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
marble <3

Yeah!!!  That's what I'm hoping :)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:40:46 AM »
Thanks guys!  I really wanted to used the black marble and keep it classy but they didn't have matching tile for the middle that would of worked as well haha.

you don't want marble. marble is a weak and soft material that falls apart after a few ginds. what skaters refer to as "marble" and what you should buy is in reality grounded granite.

that stuff:

StimCoCruzer

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
nice tip on the grounded granite. i did like how he put tile in the middle though. bet that's cheaper than a full cut of marble or grounded granite. it also looks really nice. hell, you could even make a sandwich on it.

Forte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
  • "Larry Perkins is a Faggot"
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
It's worth it to find places that sell used building materials. I know of a few places in seattle that'll go into abandoned houses or burned up restaurants and salvage what they can. you can usually get a good chunk of granite for super cheap.
Opinions are like assholes and you just came to the public toilet of skateboarding.

coneklr

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
No pics on me right now but ...

The goods
It ground/slid soooo good before it chipped
The tile was perfect and manuals so smooth, it was actually weird at first because it was so smooth if that makes sense

The bads
$$$$
Pica was right and the marble was too soft and had a couple significant chips after day one :( 

We're going to pry off the really bad piece and replace it with a strip of granite that my friend already had at his house and see how it goes.