Author Topic: Have you ever started your own board company ?  (Read 1740 times)

Syzslak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Have you ever started your own board company ?
« on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
what were the positive and negative things you encountered?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Have you ever started your own board company ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Moe Syzslak would make a great TM. Return of the Rocco!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
lisa?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
Welcome to slap PROD!

Chris

• Rep: -15
  • bouncin' checks
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
Tony from Music is on here, and the dude from Heavy. I don't know if Open is still around, but the owner used to post on here too.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
I'm in the process of starting one.

Pros:

you can make exactly what boards you want to skate/sell down to the very smallest specification
you can make whatever gear you want to go along with it
you can hook up whoever you want
owning a successful skateboard company is more fun than working a real job
softgoods have insanely large profit margins

cons:

people might not dig your stuff
profit margins on boards are absolute shit when you sell to shops
it takes a decent amount of money to start a company and do it properly

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
I'm in the process of starting one.

Pros:

you can make exactly what boards you want to skate/sell down to the very smallest specification
you can make whatever gear you want to go along with it
you can hook up whoever you want
owning a successful skateboard company is more fun than working a real job
softgoods have insanely large profit margins

cons:

people might not dig your stuff
profit margins on boards are absolute shit when you sell to shops
it takes a decent amount of money to start a company and do it properly
Don't let that scare you away, worst comes to worst you have a shitton of leftover decks and hats at your disposal. 2 thousand should get you started off good

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Welcome to slap PROD!

hahahahahahah yesss

Sandy Eggo

• Rep: 31
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
No, but I have taken a shit before. I think there are a lot of similarities between the two. For one, they can both be extremely satisfying or extremely painful. Both have the potential to require your blood, sweat, and tears to produce something you can be proud of. A lot of what you get out of both comes from what you put in. But sometimes things are just out of your control and it doesn't go the way you want it to. But, hell, shit happens.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

Don't let that scare you away, worst comes to worst you have a shitton of leftover decks and hats at your disposal. 2 thousand should get you started off good

$2000 isn't even half of what you need to get started on bare minimums.

I just went through the entire process with starting Heavy. It took a few years for me to plan it out, and do it right. If you are trying to do this as your primary source of income, forget it now. There is hardly any mark up on decks, especially when you wholesale to shops. Getting into shops outside of your local area is a pain. Most of them don't want to take a chance with a small, new company. They have a hard enough time moving the larger brands decks. Consignment may be the best way to go when just starting out, but then it can become a pain to collect if the boards sell. The mark up on soft goods isn't all that great, unless you can do really high minimums, which isn't likely just starting out. As lame as it sounds, don't underestimate building a team behind your company. I was surprised how many people cared whether I had a "team" or not. Even when I would talk to shops about carrying Heavy, that was one of the first things they would ask. "Who all is on your team?" Once you start hooking up a few dudes, be careful not to give away too much. You want to keep them skating, and hyped on the company, but not throw away tons of money giving them everything you have. Be careful of "friends" wanting the hook up. Everyone I know is so hyped to support Heavy, but "hey, hook me up with a board" or "let me get a shirt".

Add up the cost of your first run of boards, shirts, stickers, possibly hats, and be precise. Don't forget shipping, artwork and all that. Once you have that number, add in another couple of grand. That should give you an idea of what it will comfortably take to start out. I was not prepared for so many little things. A website, packaging materials, money for traveling, office supplies, etc. It adds up quick. Be prepared to lose a good bit of this money, and not make it back right away. Get smart about managing money. Do inventory. Invest in software to help with all of this.

Put a lot of effort into building an image. There are tons of companies, even big ones, that have no real image. Nothing that makes you say "Those are definitely blah blah skateboards". Be consistent with your image. Get a feel for what people like, and take advantage of that. Sounds simple, but it's easy to get caught up in doing exactly what you like, but that may not sell to the masses.

Last but not least, find something that makes you stand out. Look at the newer successful brands like Welcome or Blood Wizard. They stand out for certain reasons, whether it be the badass shapes one does, or the incredible image the other built. Anyone can get some money, make a graphic, and slap it on a board. This is what I struggle/struggled with. Giving people a reason to give you money for your product.

Now, there are plenty positives as well. It can be a great creative outlet. You can put your own spin on the skateboard industry. If it becomes successful, being a skateboard company owner is definitely a badass career. You get to meet tons of new people, and have a great time.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Its 2am, and I have had a few Captain and Cokes, so a lot of it may not make sense. It is really hard starting out, but I still think its worth it. I have enjoyed everything I have done with Heavy, and if I end up 25k in debt, then I had a good time doing it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh yea,

www.skateheavy.com

bakingsoda

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 09:01:46 AM »
I encourage everyone to follow their dreams and start another, boring company. We don't have enough cooks in this kitchen.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
You dont need to start the company to become super succesful . Afew dudes I knew away back started a board company . They were I think 5 - 7 dudes , they all chipped in with art work and money for boards and to keep it floating . The local shop picked up their boards and they sold what they could , some clothing and stickers but not too much . Most money made went back into the company

So they all got cheaper boards then just buying pro models from shops , they got the wood and shape they wanted , and they got the graphics they wanted

AENYC

• Rep: 5
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
I used to co-own Official Skateboards.

Positives:
Skating with Rodney Torres and Luis Tolentino.  Being able to give Rodney an opportunity to further his pro career was awesome.  Before we started Official, my dream team was Kalis, Huf, Kenny Anderson, and Rodney.  I got 1 of the 4 on my team, so I was stoked on that and thank Rodney for all the energy he put into it.  Also, helping Luis get started and watching him grow into a powerhouse was awesome.  There's something special about watching someone with such raw ability get it together and become pro.  I'm happy for him because he's a great person and an awesome skateboarder.

Putting out an awesome promo was another big positive:

Negatives:
Trying to sell skateboards.  It's a really tough business that is dominated by volume.  The margins are small and if you cannot sell your boards in bulk, you really can't make a go of it.  We sold boards to CCS, internationally, and locally, and it just wasn't enough.  It does not surprise me that companies come and go.  

With all that said, I really admire what Steve Rodriguez has done with 5Boro.  He has put a lot time and a LOT of effort into making 5Boro into one of the best skateboard companies in the world.  He has done everything that a successful small board company should do.  My advice to anyone looking to start a small company is to look at how 5Boro has grown and to adopt a similar business strategy.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
Damn, Rodney Torres? You guys did it right.

I'll probably message you with a few questions if you don't mind AENYC.

Chris

• Rep: -15
  • bouncin' checks
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:26:11 AM »
I encourage everyone to follow their dreams and start another, boring company. We don't have enough cooks in this kitchen.

Surprised it took that long for the thread to receive a useless, negative comment. Come on Slap, you're blowing it.