Author Topic: London Pals  (Read 11197 times)

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
Re: London Pals
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
What are some rad things to do/places to go in general?
I skated pretty much every park, did the classic touristy shit etc
Leaving friday staying east.

getting drunk with me like we did befor ! =p

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
So I'm thinking about studying abroad in London this upcoming school year and need some questions answered if someone could be so kind.

1. I would be there from January to the end of April (maybe I'd try to hang around a little longer on my own), so what's the weather normally like? Obviously it'll be cold, but is it still ok for skating. I know there's normally not snow but does it rain any more often in the winter/early spring?

2. How welcoming is the skate scene? If I'm going to be spending roughly four months in a different country it would be tight to make some local friends instead of skating around alone all the time. There'd probably be some people willing to take on a new guy, right?

Thanks for any help anybody might have
The weather will be cold and shitty with a little rain to begin with and very short days, but as the weeks go by it will improve. Skaters here are in general pretty friendly even if they don't seem overly welcoming to begin with. It's a big city and if you made an effort with every new person you met you'd be exhausted but if you're cool, show your face a few times and ask if they're down for you rolling with them I'd never imagine anyone not being down.

Colin

• Rep: -1
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
So I'm thinking about studying abroad in London this upcoming school year and need some questions answered if someone could be so kind.

1. I would be there from January to the end of April (maybe I'd try to hang around a little longer on my own), so what's the weather normally like? Obviously it'll be cold, but is it still ok for skating. I know there's normally not snow but does it rain any more often in the winter/early spring?

2. How welcoming is the skate scene? If I'm going to be spending roughly four months in a different country it would be tight to make some local friends instead of skating around alone all the time. There'd probably be some people willing to take on a new guy, right?

Thanks for any help anybody might have

I studied abroad in London last year, and was there January-early June.

Weather is definitely cold at first, but I just wore a beanie, a sweatshirt and coat and was fine (but I'm from Boston, so am kinda used to it). It snowed a few times, but not much. The weather isn't as extreme as in Boston which is nice, so its only usually only like 30's in January then gets up to maybe 60's by April. When it does rain, it usually dries pretty quickly which is nice too. And if it's not raining too hard, you can always skate southbank since it's covered.

I found people to be cool, would say hey and shit but didn't necessarily invite me to roll with them. But I'm also usually pretty quiet so that's probably on me. Guys at Southbank were usually cool, but probably with anywhere you just need to try to make friends haha. Since I skated by myself most the time, I went to Mile End park a lot. It's cool and has a shop at it, Parlour, and those guys were all really awesome and welcoming. Definitely recommend checking that out.