Author Topic: SF non-skate spots- drink, eat, party & bullshit  (Read 10413 times)

Brian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
SF non-skate spots- drink, eat, party & bullshit
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
seems like lots of bay area people on these boards, what are your favorite spots?

tunnel top- union square- this is my local bar, i live a block away. the wednesday through saturday happy hour bartender, brian, is awesome. every night there is a dj playing some type of music. right next to a sidewalk street gap, and ledges half block down on bush; way out of my skill level, but its cool that this area of bush street always has skaters cruising through.

sweet woodruff- lower nob- owned by same people as upscale sons & daughters...great food, they only make a few things a day, and its affordable, $10-12ish.

bite- lower nob- open late, rotisserie chicken sandwich spot, and you can get whole chickens, they're delicious.

miss saigon- soma- BEST pho in the city, for $1 you can get filet mignon as your meat (#17b)..its on mission and sixth, a vietnam veteran told me "i've seen some crazy shit in my life, i can sit on sixth street everyday and still be amazed"

monarch- soma- across the street from miss saigon. first floor is a bar, the basement is an awesome nightclub; not pretentious at all, everyone is there to drink, do drugs, and dance.

zero zero- soma- nice pizza/pasta/cocktails spot. they have a pasta with duck, really good.

green door- soma- my go-to weed clinic. great quality, the owners/mgmt or something skates, there's boards all over the walls, collab's with ftc, etc...and an awesome smoke lounge upstairs with tv's, volcano's, pool table.

ferry building farmers market- saturday mornings; i go practically every week, go early to avoid the madness, hog island oysters has a stand in back so no waiting in line at regular restaurant, primavera for my favorite mexican, there's also roli roti, an awesome lox sandwhich stand, hayes street grill, and a few others. breakfast doesnt get much better than some oysters, chilaquiles, and whatever else your hungover stomach desires....the produce sold is generally expensive (an exception star route farms, everything they grow is perfect, and the prices are so reasonable)

wednesday/sunday civic center farmers market- this is where i do most of my grocery shopping, cheap prices, good quality. there's also a fish vendor there, super super fresh, the prices are outrageously cheap...also the pupusa vendor, i love them.

deli board- soma- awesome sandwiches with home made meats.

capo's- north beach- same owner as tony's pizza, but this is a chicago deep dish place...one slice fills you up and its delicious

molinari's- north beach- italian sandwhich spot

firenze- north beach- classic italian food; i take my mom here.

l' osteria- north beach- italian food, every single dish, pizza/pasta/etc, is made in the same oven...the place is super budget friendly

hustler- north beach- out of the four thousand strip clubs in the area, this is my favorite, consistent quality and i have fond memories. when i first moved here, my gf's first friend she made was a w/ a dancer here.... check in on yelp before 11pm for free cover.

roam burger- marina or fillmore- awesome burgers, beers, and homemade sodas.

chambers- lower polk- its the bar at phoenix hotel, on hot days opens up by the pool, at night has a cool vibe, and really good food too.

swig- lower nob- bar, a wide range of live music depending on the night.

bullit- upper polk- gets too crowded on weekend nights though....maker's on tap, great bar food with a special every night...also, one drink special they have is a 40 in a brown bag w/ a condom.

would love to learn about where you guys like to go...i might throw up a couple more posts later on

ferry building saturday farmers market- i go here every saturday. morning wake up skate down bush

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
Re: SF non-skate spots- drink, eat, party & bullshit
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
Rhea's Deli 19th and Valencia for sammiches.

Reveille Coffee in North Beach/Chinatown (directly across from that green Coppola building where Columbus ends/splits off) for good coffee with no crowds, barista attitudes, or huge waits (consistently better at making Four Barrel's coffee taste better than Four Barrel themselves).

Thai place in the basement of the mall. Coriander? Good Thai without having to deal with waiting or tipping! I liked that other place that had a spot in inner and outer Sunset, but gave it up when they recently got shut down for health code violations.

Buddha Lounge - favorite bar in the city, for some reason. On Grant in Chinatown. Cheap beer, entertaining bartenders, and always a random tourist to chat with.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »
Giants stadium yo.... dope sushi place like a block or two away. Ghiradeli chocolates factory down by the bay. Dope ass icecream there.... Alcatraz to see where my incarcerated bros of the past laid their heads. Amoeba records on Haight.... Know lotta other spots in the bay outside Frisco tho.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:39:18 AM »
i like otis lounge when i went to sf its kinda on the back end of union square/ financial district in a cutty area but its a cool little bar.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:40:54 AM by Aatila »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Flying to sf this wednesday, any more recommendations on bars/clubs? Thanks pals.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »
Flying to sf this wednesday, any more recommendations on bars/clubs? Thanks pals.

Try the Fillmore if you're looking 2 c some live music. Also the Warfield. The Future Primitive before it shut down (right near the upper playground store, don't by any of the garments I already own tho). Also The Greek in Berkley.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
I heard that Nate Jones works at a bar in SF called The International. Someone should try to track him down.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
i heard from an old timer that if you wear your keys on the outside of your pants and walk down Castro another fella is more than welcome to walk up and molest you through your jeans without even talking to ya first.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
I heard that Nate Jones works at a bar in SF called The International. Someone should try to track him down.

yeah, he's there a few nights a week.  still cool as ever, and I'll bet his kickflips/bs flips and 360 flips are still a thing of beauty. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, he's there a few nights a week.  still cool as ever, and I'll bet his kickflips/bs flips and 360 flips are still a thing of beauty.  

The Irish Pub/Indian Restaurant right next door is far superior.

Right nearby is also a pretty good pizza place called Golden Boy. Nice little bar atmosphere and some great Sicilian slices.

I miss SF ;_;

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Hooked up with a girl that works at a pizza place there and went to this place called The Make Out Room on mission and 22nd (i believe). Super cool! 40's vibe, nice smooth soul/reggae playing off of some old vinyl, a ton of nice people. Also Delirium on mission, Tecates for $2! On weekdays you'll need to know where to be though, seemed like weekdays were slow nights. Other than that, SF is fucking awesome, go there if you have the chance!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »
No mention of Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness? The place is the best.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
No mention of Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness? The place is the best.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
Doctor Tooth and the Electric Mayhem - 25 cent wings on Wednesdays with a beer purchase!   ;D

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
I'm trying to move here. With my GF, split rent.

how hard is it to find a job

and am I totally regular thinking I can make it here

PS I'm from california

nothing's been the since same

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
I'm trying to move here. With my GF, split rent.

how hard is it to find a job

and am I totally regular thinking I can make it here

PS I'm from california

bump cuz interested 2

would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

Anotherwon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 02:24:07 PM »
Hooked up with a girl that works at a pizza place there and went to this place called The Make Out Room on mission and 22nd (i believe). Super cool! 40's vibe, nice smooth soul/reggae playing off of some old vinyl, a ton of nice people. Also Delirium on mission, Tecates for $2! On weekdays you'll need to know where to be though, seemed like weekdays were slow nights. Other than that, SF is fucking awesome, go there if you have the chance!
was she asian?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
I've decided to move to oakland or somewhere else instead.

that housing market smh

pencil, shit looks bad unless you're a tech guy/ making 20 bucks an hour with a roommate. Plus my brother told me how bad it was since he had no money and worked a minimum wage job. no money/space to do anything he said.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »

that housing market smh

pencil, shit looks bad unless you're a tech guy/ making 20 bucks an hour with a roommate. Plus my brother told me how bad it was since he had no money and worked a minimum wage job. no money/space to do anything he said.

oh damn, good lookin out
my girls cousin is an art teacher at a university and makes a decent bit of money from slangin his own paintings and he cant even afford air conditioning
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote

that housing market smh

[close]

oh damn, good lookin out
my girls cousin is an art teacher at a university and makes a decent bit of money from slangin his own paintings and he cant even afford air conditioning

http://jasonevanish.com/2013/01/17/25-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-moving-to-san-francisco/

This article has some good info,but also some regular info like when the author said that rent goes up fast since she said her neighbor that moved in after her had 100 dollars added to her rent. She suggests moving in ASAP but really landlords just raise rent as more apartments become occupied in their building so really it's mostly chance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/san-francisco-most-expensive