Author Topic: Best Mid/Hi-tops Out  (Read 3337 times)

43s&slappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Best Mid/Hi-tops Out
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
I've had ankle rolls every time I tested the waters of low top shoes in the past 2/3 years,
so it's time to admit that I'm doomed to mid/hi tops for the rest of my skating life
Recently, I had these

these

and these

The Supras and og Blazers skated exactly the same, but the Blazer LR has better boardfeel and fit more snugly around the ankle.
I'm trying to ditch Nikes though, what are some shoes with a similar look and feel?

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
Re: Best Mid/Hi-tops Out
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
I'm scared this may be my fate as well. Just got back on the board after several years and rolled my push/pop ankle within 2 weeks. I think wearing high tops is the only thing that saved me from a level III sprain. I was wearing Air Force IIs since I have yet to get a pair of actual skate shoes again.

My boy sending me some chukkas and skate HIs in the mail so I guess I'll start there.

These skate hi pros look all right:
http://www.hbc6.com/vans-sk8-hi-pro-7jb.html

As do these Adidas mids, though I like them way less than their low top offerings:
http://www.eukicks.com/adidas-skateboarding-oconnor-campus-mid-vulc-navy-gum/

In conclusion I'm gonna stick to this PT regimen and hope I DON'T have to skate highs forever

TheKraken

• Rep: -19
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
I'd go for the Nyjahs on comfort and skateability alone... they don't look terrible but...

Enjoi San Jose

• Rep: -38
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
I'd recommend Nike sb dunks super comfy and great protection

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Personally Half Cabs are the best mid out. I also like the Supra Ellingtons.

But for Blazers style you might find some Lakai Howard Select Mids

or Fallen Corsair (garret hill)

or Adidas Campus hi

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »
in my experience the dunk mid is a solid mid top skate shoe.i prefer to skate cup soles so it works for me. the half cabs are amazing too.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Will Easley

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »
Dunks, Supra Ellingtons, & emerica Reynolds

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
everyone is saying dunk mids, but he's trying to ditch nikes. jus sayin

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »
its the dunk high.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

43s&slappies

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
Personally Half Cabs are the best mid out. I also like the Supra Ellingtons.

But for Blazers style you might find some Lakai Howard Select Mids

These are right up my alley, I'll probably grab some next. also no obnoxious flare which is why i usually avoid lakai
I also dig those sk8 his with the camo sole.

Forgot to mention for those seeking the same kind of shoe; i had these gray half cab lites a while back and they are some of the most skateable, best looking mids i've owned

soccer mom

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »
Supra Lizard King shoes got your ass covered with the fold over tops. Skate well and last

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »
Converse CTS mid...Nike MVRKs....Nike has a few...prods shoe...Omar's......

Dunks are clunky....try em on before you commit to them.....

Reynolds new shoe looks a bit thick but might be ok...

BALT

• Rep: -28
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
The new Emerica Reynolds.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I have to skate High or mid top shoes also but because of a bum knee I also need cupsoles for the extra padding. I had some dunk hi's and they are honestly my favorite skate shoes but I don't wanna mess with Nike, the only others I've really tried are the skytop III's but the sole was a bit too thick on those, any suggestions?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

oldgoodburger

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
if you get quality ankle braces you can skate whatever shoe you damn well please.

43s&slappies

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »
if you get quality ankle braces you can skate whatever shoe you damn well please.
I used to mess with these, but i found that when i skated without braces my ankles were even weaker and more prone to injury.
A snug midtop is more like an airbag than battle armor; it can save you from a roll but doesn't replace the natural strength of your tendons. thats just my personal experience

Will Easley

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I used to mess with these, but i found that when i skated without braces my ankles were even weaker and more prone to injury.
A snug midtop is more like an airbag than battle armor; it can save you from a roll but doesn't replace the natural strength of your tendons. thats just my personal experience

I always felt like mids were the best and was hesitant to ever skate mids but since I started wearing soccer shin/ankle guards ive been rocking lows. its pretty much the same type of protection for your ankles but theres like a little cup that covers the bone and its perfect. its like you said it protects from rolls and ankle bites but its not TOO much protection to the point where it weakens your ankle.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Sk8 Highs for certain. They always feel rad on your board.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but I have to skate High or mid top shoes also but because of a bum knee I also need cupsoles for the extra padding. I had some dunk hi's and they are honestly my favorite skate shoes but I don't wanna mess with Nike, the only others I've really tried are the skytop III's but the sole was a bit too thick on those, any suggestions?

Nothing will match the quality of a shoe like that....I skated Telfords and those huf ones not even close....

It's kinda crazy to think that these companies that have made sneakers since the 50's and 60's actually know what they are doing.....

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
All I skate in are Mids, and I've tried a ton. IMO, there is no such thing as a 'best' because everyone has different things they look for in a shoe. It's all subjective and personal preference. If you are looking for ankle support, you don't need anything super bulky to give you support. Even a 'thin' mid will give you the lateral support you need just by it's design. All that extra padding doesn't really do much other than get in your way. There's very little functionality in a super padded shoe.

The list is way too long to post but some of my recent favorites (past year or so) have been: iPath West Wing, Nike Hybred, Nike Toki, Habitat Guru Hi, Adidas Seeley Mid. The Emerica Romero Troubadour is a great shoe too, but I bought the wrong size. The new Lakai Howard Desert Boot is a KILLER shoe, but it's not really a mid. It hits just at or slightly below your ankle bone.

I have a hard time skating in cupsole mids, it's like I can never feel my board. Some people swear by cupsole, but they just don't work for me. That Hybred shoe is a cupsole, and that's really the only one I can mess with.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »
as long as you do exercises to strengthen your ankle (wobble board, spelling with toes, etc.) i don't see how a brace could make it weaker.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
I can't skate mids or highs because they make my feet feel too constricted, but the Hsu's have proven to be an exception.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »
I can't skate mids or highs because they make my feet feel too constricted, but the Hsu's have proven to be an exception.

I had like 3 - 4 pairs in a row. Great shoe.