Author Topic: Welcome wheels  (Read 9097 times)

wisdom teeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Welcome wheels
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
Just saw this on the old insta; I took the courtesy of uploading the image myself for those without the mindless application.

[/URL]

"Orbs 104a, flat spot guaranteed, developed by an alchemist not a chemist. We didn't need to make them brown to work either. Shipping to shops this week."

Little jab there at spitfire I believe.  Anyway I'm really interested to see how these come out.

Morty Seinfeld

Re: Welcome wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
I saw those. 104A has got me curious. I don't fuck with cores though.

soccer mom

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
I'll give em a whirl,  if they can possibly slide better than stf's and F4's I will keep buying them, but that is kinda lame to take a jab at spitfire like that. I have met the dude who developed the F4, he is a chemist/engenier or whatever but he skates so put that in your hipster pipe and smoke it

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »
I will stick to Spitfire and Bones, 104a is way to hard IMO.

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I will stick to Spitfire and Bones, 104a is way to hard IMO.

The problem is that the scale isn't accurate enough by everyones standards.

Bones STF and SPF are in that range, but are labeled on a b scale.

Cores deter me a bit though. Im with Morty on that, and he sold raincoats with Harry Fleming for 38 years!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »

Yeah they're probably fast as all hell. Skated some cored 105 59mm roller skate wheels and they were too fast for me. Plastic cores give out after a while and your bearings will fall out though. How big are these?

nylin

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »

T.L.F

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:14:18 AM »
i have a set of bones stf's and they don't seem any harder or perform the same as a set of picture ppu wheels 101 . the bones stf's actually seem to have gone a bit soft compared to when they were new

b.v.

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
From what I was told Bones and other B rated wheels are not urethane, but A composite.
Hence the milky appearance and odd plastic feel.
I got to try some of the welcome wheels, really hard and fast.
Not sure how cored wheels will be received, but it's cool they went high end and got someone legit to make them.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
LOL @ "we didn't have to make them brown"

enjoy your swirls, kids

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.  My F4's skate like my "first time".

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
I'll get some of those blue swirls to go with this sick deck

ontheswarm

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but the new boards they just put up on instagram are looking really good.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but the new boards they just put up on instagram are looking really good.

Yeah that ones pretty sick, id use it as a cruiser setup.

TheKraken

• Rep: -19
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
We didn't need to make them brown to work either

ha! spitfire sucks im going to buy some of those swirly wheels

Avon

• Rep: -2
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
got this as a cruiser today believe it or not. Wanted to try something different. I don't know if its the part that I've never had a cruiser or the deck shape itself but I don't remember having this much fun on a board in a while. If anyones interested the set up is OJ Keyframes, Thunder 149 Lights,Super Reds.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.  My F4's skate like my "first time".

Not sure where you live but some of the best skaters I know ride shaped boards. All the Welcome videos are full of guys ripping at skating, maybe not the type of skating you like but that doesn't mean they are bad at skating. I for one love the boards and love that companies are breaking the mold.

flapJack

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
i have a set of bones stf's and they don't seem any harder or perform the same as a set of picture ppu wheels 101 . the bones stf's actually seem to have gone a bit soft compared to when they were new

I cant speak for Pic wheels, but i mentioned my comment on instagram today, and the Welcome page responded in affirmation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:08:04 PM by flapJack »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:01:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.  My F4's skate like my "first time".
[close]

Not sure where you live but some of the best skaters I know ride shaped boards. All the Welcome videos are full of guys ripping at skating, maybe not the type of skating you like but that doesn't mean they are bad at skating. I for one love the boards and love that companies are breaking the mold.

Ditto - Polar's doing it too...Pontus even said in some interview how Vallely's old double tail model inspired the P2 shape. Just don't knock the funky shapes until you ride one...a cruiser is a good way to test the waters if you think you might be into it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:54:11 AM by The Nose Face »

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 07:26:03 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=72824.msg1990583#msg1990583 date=1378389714
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ditto - Polar's doing it too...Pontus even said in some interview how Vallely's old double tail model inspired the P2 shape. Just don't knock the funky shapes until you ride one...a cruiser a good way to test the waters if you think you might be into it.

I'm on my second one of the P1 shape and they're really fun.

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »
If you were to flatspot the wheels Welcome wouldn't do anything anyway.  Bought a deck from them direct, it warped so much the board would teeter tooder.  Contacted them about it, he said tough shit.  He has some delusion that Ps stix can't warp.  I dont keep my board in my trunk or any other neglect issues that would cause it to warp.

They won't get another penny from me.

Welcome taking a shot at DLX is comical.  DLX knows how to treat their customers.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face �link=topic=72824.msg1990583#msg1990583 date=1378389714
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.� My F4's skate like my "first time".
[close]

[close]

Ditto - Polar's doing it too...Pontus even said in some interview how Vallely's old double tail model inspired the P2 shape. Just don't knock the funky shapes until you ride one...a cruiser a good way to test the waters if you think you might be into it.
[close]

Those look sick - I love the pop of an ollie when the nose/tail are on more of an angle:

The Welcome Nimbus 3000 shape is similar - but I found it was a little too small with how it tapers. Would make a good cruiser (like the guy in this thread posted). I'm on a squid beak now, but that's gona be retired and converted into a cruiser once I find the sloth shape around. The squid doesn't have as much of a tail as I would like; but that's the only negative thing I have to say about Welcome on the whole.

From what I was told Bones and other B rated wheels are not urethane, but A composite.
Hence the milky appearance and odd plastic feel.
I got to try some of the welcome wheels, really hard and fast.
Not sure how cored wheels will be received, but it's cool they went high end and got someone legit to make them.
Do you think the Welcome Wheels are going to be REALLY slippery though? I saw people saying the new F4 101's were slippery - and these things are 104A. Is this more of a "tranny" wheel or something?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I know I made fun of the wheels, but I def. want that board. The graphic is really great.
However, I like the Waxing Moon shape the best.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:47:07 PM by Firebert »

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I'm riding the jackalope nimbus-whatever right now. I bought a sloth waxing moon shape at the same time that I'm waiting to set up. I've enjoyed the shaped boards so far.

If you were to flatspot the wheels Welcome wouldn't do anything anyway.  Bought a deck from them direct, it warped so much the board would teeter tooder.  Contacted them about it, he said tough shit.  He has some delusion that Ps stix can't warp.  I dont keep my board in my trunk or any other neglect issues that would cause it to warp.

They won't get another penny from me.

Welcome taking a shot at DLX is comical.  DLX knows how to treat their customers.

I've had trouble with PS Stix stuff warping in the past.

Too bad about your customer service experience with Welcome. You'd hope that with all their talk about backing the 'little' guy they would be more receptive to their customers needs.

Lastly, I agree that taking shots at DLX is phony. I'm not down with any 'us vs. them' mentality.

ontheswarm

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=72824.msg1990619#msg1990619 date=1378393446
Expand Quote
Quote from: The Nose Face �link=topic=72824.msg1990583#msg1990583 date=1378389714
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.� My F4's skate like my "first time".
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Those look sick - I love the pop of an ollie when the nose/tail are on more of an angle:

The Welcome Nimbus 3000 shape is similar - but I found it was a little too small with how it tapers. Would make a good cruiser (like the guy in this thread posted). I'm on a squid beak now, but that's gona be retired and converted into a cruiser once I find the sloth shape around. The squid doesn't have as much of a tail as I would like; but that's the only negative thing I have to say about Welcome on the whole.

Definitely agree on the nimbus 3000 shape. It felt a little too small for me. I upgraded to the nimbus 5000 as my normal board and it seriously feels amazing. I've been wanting to try the polar's p1 and p2 shape. Anyone know somewhere on the web to get the p2? I was thinking theories but they're out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:24:40 PM by ontheswarm »

flapJack

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
I really like the moontrimmer shape on the chris miller and stork board. Wish there were some slimmer shapes

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=72824.msg1990583#msg1990583 date=1378389714
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I just picked up the p1 polar board with the cannibal wizards graphic. I'm actually really digging it. I can only do flip tricks off my front foot anyway and it's just a regular board with a nice square tail. Tail slides for days.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
it'll be worth a try but super lame they called out spitfire dude

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
I'm riding the jackalope nimbus-whatever right now. I bought a sloth waxing moon shape at the same time that I'm waiting to set up. I've enjoyed the shaped boards so far.
If you don't mind could you tell me how wide the shape is at its slimmest point? It looks like it tapers to about 8" around the back holes. I'm going to get some type of welcome next, but I'm jumping between the Waxing Moon, Squid Beak, and Nimbus

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
got this as a cruiser today believe it or not. Wanted to try something different. I don't know if its the part that I've never had a cruiser or the deck shape itself but I don't remember having this much fun on a board in a while. If anyones interested the set up is OJ Keyframes, Thunder 149 Lights,Super Reds.

How do you like the Keyframes? I've been curious about them for awhile.