Author Topic: WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???  (Read 8786 times)

Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -43
  • CRUSTY PALMS
    • // 1017 GLO GANG // FREE MAX B // FREE GUCCI // STREET MONEY // BLACKLAND // HOTHEADS // FUCKOUTTAHERE // avatar image
WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »
Zion Wright - Florida Daze 2

why is it that baby dickhead is super hooked up and this kid is not. Zion shits on all kids under the age of 15
| FUCK JAMIE THOMAS | IT'S CURTAINS |

Buzz Killington

• Rep: -12
Re: WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
This kid's under 15? Sure doesn't skate like it, he shreds.

But to answer your question, marketability of course.

flempa1one

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:21:07 AM »
Zion, great name.. He puts the hammer down

T.L.F

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:38:30 AM »
Probably just an oversight by kayo corps talent manager , just drop them a email and i am sure soon enough we will see baby Zion

SkateNerd2000

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
your buddy zion is good as fuck but as far as marketability goes I can't see why I would choose him over some other little kid ripper, I don't really see anything special about him, he jumps down gaps and skates rails and does 180s and tre flips, he needs to have something that would catch someones attention and makes him stand out from other skateboarders, I mean no disrespect by this post, just trying to be realistic and look at it from a team managers perspective.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:31:33 AM »
WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???

Right place at the right time. I like this kid though.

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:42 AM »
Baby Scumbag? More like Baby Cum-Fag.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »
your buddy zion is good as fuck but as far as marketability goes I can't see why I would choose him over some other little kid ripper, I don't really see anything special about him, he jumps down gaps and skates rails and does 180s and tre flips, he needs to have something that would catch someones attention and makes him stand out from other skateboarders, I mean no disrespect by this post, just trying to be realistic and look at it from a team managers perspective.

Seriously, if you compare the two...

Steven Fernandez-Baby Scumbag 2013 Montage

So you're saying if this kid starts acting like an idiot and doing inward heels he would get hooked up? I guess kids should take note in putting lifestyle shots in their next sponsor me tape(regardless if they are being themselves or not).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:13:25 AM by papasmurfsdog »

nylin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 05:01:07 AM »
Pretty sure this kid gets Organika and Nike.

Hipster Runoff

• Rep: -25
    • www.hipsterrunoff.com avatar image
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
why? vice sums it up quite nicely:

http://www.vice.com/read/baby-scumbag-the-13-year-old-pro-loves-women-and-fake-guns
Steven Fernandez, a.k.a. Baby Scumbag, is just a normal 13-year-old skater from a bad neighborhood in LA. A normal 13-year-old skater who?s sponsored by a bunch of companies, has 38,000 subscribers on Facebook and 140,000 followers on Instagram, and gets photographed with guns and sexy (adult) women.

while zion wright is out skateboarding baby scumbag is doing this:

jus eatin my ice cream and playing wid some gunz

found these under my dads bed

this is deep

quick before mom sees me

Did Steven "Baby Scumbag" Fernendez 'nail it' or does he need to enroll in jason dill's supreme awesome modeling school?
Will Zion Wright ever get sponsored or does he need to get 'mad followers' on instagram before anything happens?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:19:48 AM by Hipster Runoff »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
ratchet! ratchet! ratchet! ratchet! -- this is why baby scumbag is hooked up.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »
can we agree to refer to him as steve, stevie, or lil stevie fernandez and not baby scumbag?

i always though that kid had like industry connects or something, like he's somebodies nephew or cousin.

and that zion dude is fucking sick

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »
do you think it was racist when the filmer pushed zion in the water ???

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »
Did you watch all the videos from Vice? Haha this kid is the worst.

I hope this dude turns pro soon and is all over Street League.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »

while zion wright is out skateboarding baby scumbag is doing this:

jus eatin my ice cream and playing wid some gunz

Which is why by the time they're 17 or 18 Scumbag will probably be a far less cute alcoholic and Zion will be winning Tampa am or some shit.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
that zion kid kills it ender was perfect

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
market him as 'baby chief keef'

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »
this kid rips. i steal meat from markets.

scumbag is a dumb gimmicky kook so of course he is hooked up.

ratchet is what ratchet does.

and ratchet sells.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

tranny curb

• Rep: -52
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
why is it that people still make posts in this day and age about why someone is hooked up and this person isn't...  is the concept of marketing that hard to understand?  
Scott Bourne is the poor man's Maya Angelou.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »
Its all a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I cant even count how many skaters turn pro too quick or skaters who rip and never get hooked up by the right sponsor then eventually fade out. Sponsoring a kid is a gamble most of the times because there's a lot of lil 12 year old kids ripping but its always uncertain if they will stay motivated past their teens and most of the times all kids look and skate the same until they grow up. I personally think that both these kids skate as good as most kids who post clips on youtube whose footage never really gets seen or taken serious. Once you hit your 20's and are still ripping and are offering something new and interesting to skateboarding that nobody has ever done then that will be your time to shine. Just my opinion not trying to hate.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 529
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »
Not for nothing.... Scumbag is a good kid. He has a rad outlook on skating. He also came up with the idea of filming his own mini movies and putting them on youtube. Most 12 year olds i've ever met don't have the slightest idea how they would create a marketing image on their own let alone have it lead to what he's become.

From what i recall.. his uncle is friends with Keelan. So they would take him out on skate missions. They gave him that label as a joke. But lil dude just created his own hype.

He doesn't smoke weed, drink, none of that. He really is a good kid who is extremely smart and also loves to skate.

The best part is.. he can chill with the best of them.

Not trying to sell the kid to ya'll... Just letting you know in real life... kids super chill.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »
If people don't know by now, talents can only do so much. It is really being at the right place at the right time. All the kids getting hooked up have the same story. "Leo saw me skate. I gave a tape to such and such and he gave it to Reynolds. I won king of LA and some pros hooked me up". That's why in a way, you should really put yourself out there whether Youtube clips or whatever. You never know who could want to help you and that "People should hook you up cause you are good" thing doesn't always work out like it should. That's like saying nice guys should get hot girls. I mean if you want it, you really have to go out and get it........(I would assume anyways).

I mean we can point out so many skaters and even pros that are getting hooked up or have a pro board and you always wonder if they deserve it. The wonder people are starting their own things and hooking up the people they know. Some skaters would have never been pro if they did it the old way.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
I SMOKE WEED WITH STEVEN FERNANDEZ BEFORE

4wheels

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
Karl Watson hooks Zion up. He gets shit from Nike too

Hipster Runoff

• Rep: -25
    • www.hipsterrunoff.com avatar image
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
Just letting you know in real life... kids super chill.

in real life....nobody cares if hes 'super chill'

in real life...the only relevant parts of his life are the ones in youtube videos that project his 'hand crafted' personal brand

in real life...steven fernendez its a 12 year old trying to 'curate his public image'

in real life...Most 12 year olds i've ever met probably shouldnt be 'trying to create a marketing image on their own'

in real life...'he doesn't smoke weed, drink, none of that.'

in real life...hes just a liar

in real life...most people dont meet the skaters they see in skatevideos or youtube

in real life...all we know is the fantasy we create in our heads about you

in real life...all we know is that his name is baby scumbag, he plays with guns, attempts to 'mack on hoes', drinks lots of kool aid, has absentee parents, does stupid tricks like inward heel lipslides, and hangs out with some idiot that thinks his switch tricks are 'really dope'

in real life...i just saved big bucks by dialing 1-800-c-a-l-l-a-t-t

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
I SMOKE WEED WITH STEVEN FERNANDEZ BEFORE

he he ur such a jokester great job

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you're saying if this kid starts acting like an idiot and doing inward heels he would get hooked up? I guess kids should take note in putting lifestyle shots in their next sponsor me tape(regardless if they are being themselves or not).
Is that really a surprise to you? You come off as naive as fuck. Image has always been a HUGE part of branding. Skateboard companies aren't trying to win a championship, they are trying to sell skateboards.
Also- I don't know why most people don't know this, but sending in a cold sponsor-me tape seldomly gets you hooked up. Usually somebody needs to see you ripping and know you before they even bother asking about a sponsor-me tape.
Finally, neither of these kids is old enough to drive. It sounds pretty ridiculous to say "How come Johnny 15 year old isn't pro yet?!?" BECAUSE SHIT TAKES TIME. Baby scumbag grew up in LA and is still lucky to be hooked up so young. Yes, talent is obviously part of it, but you need to be talented AND get noticed, and its not like skateboarding has talent scouts holding try outs or scoping out every single skate spot in the country. I remember seeing Mark Suciu when he was like 14, and he was just as good as he is today. Instead of thinking "What the fuck is wrong with skateboarding?!?!" I simply thought "that kid is going somewhere." These kids are 13-15, they haven't spent the past 13-15 years getting coverage, winning contests, and releasing footage. Stop with the attitude of entitlement.

And DGKalis- if baby scumbag really is a good kid, you should maybe talk to whoever you need to talk to to make sure that they stop marketing him like that. It gets attention, but nobody ever wanted a Knox Godoy or Billy Waldman board. They thought they were interesting, but they never liked them. Now where are those dudes? It seems like "child star" exploitation to me.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
I FUCKIN LOVE KNOX FAGGOT

DGKALIS

• Rep: 529
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 07:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Is that really a surprise to you? You come off as naive as fuck. Image has always been a HUGE part of branding. Skateboard companies aren't trying to win a championship, they are trying to sell skateboards.
Also- I don't know why most people don't know this, but sending in a cold sponsor-me tape seldomly gets you hooked up. Usually somebody needs to see you ripping and know you before they even bother asking about a sponsor-me tape.
Finally, neither of these kids is old enough to drive. It sounds pretty ridiculous to say "How come Johnny 15 year old isn't pro yet?!?" BECAUSE SHIT TAKES TIME. Baby scumbag grew up in LA and is still lucky to be hooked up so young. Yes, talent is obviously part of it, but you need to be talented AND get noticed, and its not like skateboarding has talent scouts holding try outs or scoping out every single skate spot in the country. I remember seeing Mark Suciu when he was like 14, and he was just as good as he is today. Instead of thinking "What the fuck is wrong with skateboarding?!?!" I simply thought "that kid is going somewhere." These kids are 13-15, they haven't spent the past 13-15 years getting coverage, winning contests, and releasing footage. Stop with the attitude of entitlement.

And DGKalis- if baby scumbag really is a good kid, you should maybe talk to whoever you need to talk to to make sure that they stop marketing him like that. It gets attention, but nobody ever wanted a Knox Godoy or Billy Waldman board. They thought they were interesting, but they never liked them. Now where are those dudes? It seems like "child star" exploitation to me.

For now.. the difference is Knox and Billy really lived that 20+ year old life. Im not sure their whole stories.. but you can get caught up in a bunch of shit that can spit you right out.
Scumbag actually has managers now. If i were to guess based on things like him acting in movies now and all that.. the "current" Scumbag will morph into whatever his next chapter is. If he stays around the right people.. and they show him the right way of doing things.. it could work out for him.

We'll just have to see. But i support the kid. I think he's rad.

malcyvelli

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
This thread is dumb and pretty much doesn't deserve to be validated with an answer...but fuck that shit

Scum obviously has a dumb little easy to market personality and ,although his skating isn't on par with Zion, it's still respectable and even more so with his age

Zion will hopefully come through in the industry as his abilities extrapolate and scum falls the fuck off or gets a show or some other mess