Author Topic: WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???  (Read 8794 times)

BraveUlysses

Re: WHY IS BABY SCUMBAG HOOKED UP AND NOT THIS KID???
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 08:10:03 PM »
So does Scumbag really be fucking bitches or not?

malcyvelli

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
This thread is dumb and pretty much doesn't deserve to be validated with an answer...but fuck that shit

Scum obviously has a dumb little easy to market personality and ,although his skating isn't on par with Zion, it's still respectable and even more so with his age

Zion will hopefully come through in the industry as his abilities extrapolate and scum falls the fuck off or gets a show or some other mess

T.L.F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
your actual skateboarding ability has little to do with being pro really. it is your ability to market and sell skateboard related products . Unless you think Andy roy's being killing it recently or Billy Marks sucks now and thats why he got kicked off fallen . Or Ryan sheckler at 13 was one of the best in the world and dennis durrant still fucking sucks

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:52 AM »
Not for nothing.... Scumbag is a good kid. He has a rad outlook on skating. He also came up with the idea of filming his own mini movies and putting them on youtube. Most 12 year olds i've ever met don't have the slightest idea how they would create a marketing image on their own let alone have it lead to what he's become.

From what i recall.. his uncle is friends with Keelan. So they would take him out on skate missions. They gave him that label as a joke. But lil dude just created his own hype.

He doesn't smoke weed, drink, none of that. He really is a good kid who is extremely smart and also loves to skate.

The best part is.. he can chill with the best of them.

Not trying to sell the kid to ya'll... Just letting you know in real life... kids super chill.
He's pretty disgusting in a Miley Cirus sorta way.  If you back him show him some wisdom. 

janky858

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
Zion, great awful name.. He puts the hammer down
this aint bible camp doood

janky858

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
but holy shit is this kid good... when this kid is in his 20s hes going to be a powerhouse...

casper

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
nobody ever wanted a Knox Godoy or Billy Waldman board. 
i would have  bought a billy waldman board. rubbish heap part was too funny

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
but holy shit is this kid good... when this kid is in his 20s hes going to be a powerhouse...
if he doesn't River Phoenix himself before that

flempa1one

• Rep: -17
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Zion, great awful name.. He puts the hammer down
[close]
this aint bible camp doood

Just thought it sounded cool DUDE

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »
but holy shit is this kid good... when this kid is in his 20s hes going to be a powerhouse... live in a halfway house.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »

For now.. the difference is Knox and Billy really lived that 20+ year old life. Im not sure their whole stories.. but you can get caught up in a bunch of shit that can spit you right out.
Scumbag actually has managers now. If i were to guess based on things like him acting in movies now and all that.. the "current" Scumbag will morph into whatever his next chapter is. If he stays around the right people.. and they show him the right way of doing things.. it could work out for him.

We'll just have to see. But i support the kid. I think he's rad.

I have no clue whether his future will lie in movies, internet fame, you name it. It definitely takes something (be it confidence, intelligence, or business sense) to become relatively well-known without actually being good at what you're supposed to be doing (in this case, skateboarding). So I could see the kid making his way somewhere. However, I doubt he'll ever "make it" in skateboarding if he doesn't improve a bunch. There's a shitload of kids ripping out there who are progressing while he's busy posing for photos and making insanely stupid internet videos. I'll go forth and predict he'll never skate on a pro level, skaters will have forgotten about him in three years' time and he'll be doing something else (possibly successfully). In order to progress in skateboarding as a kid you have to be an absolute skate-rat. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't seem like one of the kind.

joebudden

• Rep: -51
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
TILL ZION

you crakkkas cant dismiss his skill all you want

but in your heart of hearts you know this lil nigga gets busy gotdammit

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
Wow that Zion kid rips.

Particleboard Penguin

• Rep: 10
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Expand Quote

For now.. the difference is Knox and Billy really lived that 20+ year old life. Im not sure their whole stories.. but you can get caught up in a bunch of shit that can spit you right out.
Scumbag actually has managers now. If i were to guess based on things like him acting in movies now and all that.. the "current" Scumbag will morph into whatever his next chapter is. If he stays around the right people.. and they show him the right way of doing things.. it could work out for him.

We'll just have to see. But i support the kid. I think he's rad.
[close]

I have no clue whether his future will lie in movies, internet fame, you name it. It definitely takes something (be it confidence, intelligence, or business sense) to become relatively well-known without actually being good at what you're supposed to be doing (in this case, skateboarding). So I could see the kid making his way somewhere. However, I doubt he'll ever "make it" in skateboarding if he doesn't improve a bunch. There's a shitload of kids ripping out there who are progressing while he's busy posing for photos and making insanely stupid internet videos. I'll go forth and predict he'll never skate on a pro level, skaters will have forgotten about him in three years' time and he'll be doing something else (possibly successfully). In order to progress in skateboarding as a kid you have to be an absolute skate-rat. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't seem like one of the kind.

What you don't understand is he's not supposed to be a "pro-skater," he's supposed to be a marketing vehicle, which he does a pretty good job of.. I'd say he's got a pretty good chance of sticking around the industry.

Never seen any of this kids youtube videos, but the DGK video skits were soo incredibly lame I could never buy DGK product again.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he fell of.
dirty scumbug

what happened to that zion wright kid on the other hand?

OldmanEpic

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
Holy fuck this kid charges shit!

Also he pops his 360 flips which is rare for the younger doods

This kid is gotta be going somewhere in skateboarding. Hes too good not to. Fucker threw down a jaws type ollie and it wasnt even his ender!

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »
Nice find Greg.

He on Nike though, I guess.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »

14:22 is Zion's new part.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Zion O'friel has a burly madonna, and he's from Redding which is one of California's many bloody armpits.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
Expand Quote
your buddy zion is good as fuck but as far as marketability goes I can't see why I would choose him over some other little kid ripper, I don't really see anything special about him, he jumps down gaps and skates rails and does 180s and tre flips, he needs to have something that would catch someones attention and makes him stand out from other skateboarders, I mean no disrespect by this post, just trying to be realistic and look at it from a team managers perspective.
[close]

Seriously, if you compare the two...

So you're saying if this kid starts acting like an idiot and doing inward heels he would get hooked up? I guess kids should take note in putting lifestyle shots in their next sponsor me tape(regardless if they are being themselves or not).
so not having lifestyle shots of slapping girls asses and lurking on 12 year olds is the reason why i'm not sponsored yet? i've been doing this wrong the whole time!

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:11 PM »
Zion O'friel has a burly madonna, and he's from Redding which is one of California's many bloody armpits.

I thought he was from washington? I can't handle his transformation all though he shreds.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

jomeara1

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
your buddy zion is good as fuck but as far as marketability goes I can't see why I would choose him over some other little kid ripper, I don't really see anything special about him, he jumps down gaps and skates rails and does 180s and tre flips, he needs to have something that would catch someones attention and makes him stand out from other skateboarders, I mean no disrespect by this post, just trying to be realistic and look at it from a team managers perspective.
[close]

Seriously, if you compare the two...

So you're saying if this kid starts acting like an idiot and doing inward heels he would get hooked up? I guess kids should take note in putting lifestyle shots in their next sponsor me tape(regardless if they are being themselves or not).
[close]
Is that really a surprise to you? You come off as naive as fuck. Image has always been a HUGE part of branding. Skateboard companies aren't trying to win a championship, they are trying to sell skateboards.
Also- I don't know why most people don't know this, but sending in a cold sponsor-me tape seldomly gets you hooked up. Usually somebody needs to see you ripping and know you before they even bother asking about a sponsor-me tape.
Finally, neither of these kids is old enough to drive. It sounds pretty ridiculous to say "How come Johnny 15 year old isn't pro yet?!?" BECAUSE SHIT TAKES TIME. Baby scumbag grew up in LA and is still lucky to be hooked up so young. Yes, talent is obviously part of it, but you need to be talented AND get noticed, and its not like skateboarding has talent scouts holding try outs or scoping out every single skate spot in the country. I remember seeing Mark Suciu when he was like 14, and he was just as good as he is today. Instead of thinking "What the fuck is wrong with skateboarding?!?!" I simply thought "that kid is going somewhere." These kids are 13-15, they haven't spent the past 13-15 years getting coverage, winning contests, and releasing footage. Stop with the attitude of entitlement.

And DGKalis- if baby scumbag really is a good kid, you should maybe talk to whoever you need to talk to to make sure that they stop marketing him like that. It gets attention, but nobody ever wanted a Knox Godoy or Billy Waldman board. They thought they were interesting, but they never liked them. Now where are those dudes? It seems like "child star" exploitation to me.

Also the standards are soo much higher now.  Companies probably won't even bother looking at you unless you're the next Chris Joslin or something.  This kid is still super young so who knows.  The fact that people are talking about him on SLAP is a little something I guess lol.  DGKalis maybe you can give the industry a heads up about this kid hah.

To me, Baby Scumbag is no different than any other child star that fucked up their lives and to later be on TMZ every other month for a DUI or something.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »
Not for nothing.... Scumbag is a good kid. He has a rad outlook on skating. He also came up with the idea of filming his own mini movies and putting them on youtube. Most 12 year olds i've ever met don't have the slightest idea how they would create a marketing image on their own let alone have it lead to what he's become.

From what i recall.. his uncle is friends with Keelan. So they would take him out on skate missions. They gave him that label as a joke. But lil dude just created his own hype.

He doesn't smoke weed, drink, none of that. He really is a good kid who is extremely smart and also loves to skate.

Not trying to sell the kid to ya'll... Just letting you know in real life... kids super chill.

;D

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought he was from washington? I can't handle his transformation all though he shreds.

The announcer at a contest in Eugene said he was from Redding, so I guess I don't really know. Those fucking madonnas. He won the contest and I asked him what he was going to spend his $200 on and he said "probably beer", and then got in his car alone and drove away.

I did see footage of him at Marginal too, and I have no idea how he used to look.

unsuperfilmer

• Rep: -1
    • I made this shit avatar image
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he fell of.
dirty scumbug

what happened to that zion wright kid on the other hand?

Zion is on Organika and on the SPoT shop team (they announced it at Tampa AM). Dude rips, I want to see a lot more from him soon.
He had footage in a Go Skate Day edit in Spokane:
and here's his SPoT clip:

Darty

• Rep: -1
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »

I hope your opinion has changed now....