Author Topic: Bones STF Flatspot  (Read 4301 times)

redhatchet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Bones STF Flatspot
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Bought a brand new pair of Bones STF 54mm's yesterday from Push Skateshop in Asheville, and within an hour of skating a skatepark I tried to 180 up a set of stairs and fucked up and basically landed 90 and slid out for a short amount of time. Low and behold it flatspotted past the tread and I now have a terrible flat spot.

Just planned on going out and doing some powerslides down some hills today to see if it evens it out. Any hope or tips otherwise for me? Never had this happen this quickly with any set of Bones before so I'm pretty bummed.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Bones STF Flatspot
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
perhaps you might consider sending this story to the Asheville Times
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
Bought a brand new pair of Bones STF 54mm's yesterday from Push Skateshop in Asheville, and within an hour of skating a skatepark I tried to 180 up a set of stairs and fucked up and basically landed 90 and slid out for a short amount of time. Low and behold it flatspotted past the tread and I now have a terrible flat spot.

Just planned on going out and doing some powerslides down some hills today to see if it evens it out. Any hope or tips otherwise for me? Never had this happen this quickly with any set of Bones before so I'm pretty bummed.

I don't really have any advice to fix em, but I know from experience that this strategy will not work/help.  By all means try, but don't get your hopes up.  Better look for new wheels.
I suck at SLAP.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
haha i had exactly the same experience. also bs 180 up a set off stairs, slid out because of the slippery ground and got a flatspot on a set of brand new wheels. i don't know how bad yours are, but i was able to ride mine out. i simply continued to normally ride the wheels, do some powerslides, but mostly regular skateboarding. they disappeared and i was able to skate the same set of stfs several months until they were to small for me.

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
It blows my mind that people still constantly bitch and moan about their wheels flat spotting. it's never going to end. It's the same as your graphic scratching off, or getting grind marks in your trucks. Deal with it.

Yung$quirt

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
It blows my mind that people still constantly bitch and moan about their wheels flat spotting. it's never going to end. It's the same as your graphic scratching off, or getting grind marks in your trucks. Deal with it.

Yeah I've never had a set of wheels that didn't flatspot. You just gotta expect that it will happen. Just kind of comes with the territory of doing tricks. Ride the fuck out of them and it will come out.

peewee

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Or hit up the warranty department...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
email [email protected] send in the wheels, and they'll replace them.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
Damn thats crazy I've been riding bones stf wheels for years and have never gotten a flat spot. Even when powersliding down hills
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:39:42 PM by shitsandwich »

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

Sorry I "blew your mind" because I "bitched" about my wheels that are known for their durability flatspotting, in an hour.

I didn't say anything other than I was bummed it happened, and wondered if anyone had any secrets to working it out. But hey, if you want to be a cock sucker go for it. It really suits you man! It's raining today but I'll ride them around, especially through the streets on rougher pavement to see if I can get it out. Otherwise it's back to the shop.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Fake Tits

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:30:46 PM »
Trippy. I've never flat spotted a set of bones.

One brand in particular comes with flat spots before you get them out of the plastic.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
email [email protected] send in the wheels, and they'll replace them.

This ^

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »

it's not really "bitching" - bones stf and many other companies now claim flatspot resistance wheels. so when some product makes a claim and it doesn't work the consumers got a right to state how the claim didn't come through..

also he's asking for advice how to smooth the wheels out- he isn't complaining about how he got ripped off or wants a freebie.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

b.v.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Seems with flatspots that they can work out over time, but usually it just gets worse.
Best you can do is just slide around a lot and not hold them too long.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I am not sure if there are really any secrets other than just being patient and riding them and it will eventually even out. The smoother the concrete, the more noticeable the flat spot is so it my be less annoying to just skate street spots for while until it has smoothed out a bit.  The double-edged sword of the STFs being a really hard wheel that doesn't wear very fast is that it may take a while to ride the flat-spot out.  You could contact Bones about it but, depending on how much you skate, you could probably have the flat-spot ridden out faster than dealing with getting a new set of wheels.

From the Bones website...

All BONES WHEELS manufactured products are warranted against manufacturing defects for the useful life of the product. If you feel your skateboard wheels, bushings, or other BONES WHEELS products were defective, you may send it back to us, freight prepaid. We will inspect it and let you know of our findings. If we decide your returned product was defective or failed to give reasonable service, we will replace that product with a similar, available product of the same or better quality and pay for the shipping back to you. You can send in multiple products to be inspected for your return. We will evaluate each product separate and will replace any and all products found to be defective.

If our experienced inspector decides your product was not defective, you will be informed and asked if you want your product sent back to you, or destroyed. For those not receiving a replacement product, you will be given the opportunity to buy another one at a discounted rate from us.

jexe

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
i had the issue of flatspotting a brand new pair of stfs, i hit a stone in a skatepark and dragged it about 5 feet, been riding around rough ground trying to even it out to no avail, never had a problem with stf's before this,

JBones

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:57:19 PM »
The skatepark ain't gunna get swept by itself.

Takes 2 mins to do a quick sweep, and these kinds of problems happen less.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
I'm always at the park with my push broom and leaf blower.

JBones

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »
I'm always at the park with my push broom and leaf blower.

Good to hear! Yer doin it right man. Good for you.  :)

samsk8

• Rep: -26
  • maddd propzzz
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:28 AM »
niggas be slippin man... got those bs 180s up stairs GOLD WHEELS aint no flatties YO G!!
bomb ur mutha f**kn city!!