Author Topic: Cracked hangar/ Stage 11 vs Stage 10 Indys  (Read 6538 times)

Kinch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Cracked hangar/ Stage 11 vs Stage 10 Indys
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:14 AM »
I've been skating a set of Ace 44s for ages and I've just cracked the hangar like this

I've never done this before, can I expect much more life out of them or is this the beginning of the end? Also I was planning on going back to a set of indys once the Aces are unskateable and can get stage 10 or 11 149s for the same price. I've seen loads of stuff on the geometry posted here but it doesn't mean a whole lot to me, hopefully someone can enlighten me regarding the difference. I like to skate my trucks fairly loose, I'm heavy, and I skate a fair mix of transition and tech/ledge stuff, do I want 10s or 11s? Thanks.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
Re: Cracked hangar/ Stage 11 vs Stage 10 Indys
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:36:10 AM »
I actually cracked the hangar on a set of Indys a few days back in a similar fashion, but the crack was a teeny bit smaller. Luckily for me I found an old indy hangar i had lying around from an old setup from a while back, so I just took that and switched it out for the cracked one.
You could probably milk it for a little bit with that crack depending on what you skate, but I wouldn't trust it. Plus knowing the crack is there would just fuck with me too much while Im skating.

nylin

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:19 AM »
If you do a lot of tailslides I probably wouldn't get the forged baseplate ones. I had the Koston ones with the forged blaseplate and slid all the way to my pivot cup in about 2 months. I skate my trucks super loose and I'm skating the stage 11's with no problems.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:16:08 AM »
I've got the stage 11 149's and I'm a fan. The stock bushings are actually pretty nice, which is rare. The only problem I've found is that the axle slipped occasionally, but lately it hasn't done it so who knows what the fuck is going on. When it comes down to it I prefer the 11s because the kingpin clearance is a little better, the hanger is a little meatier, and they're ever-so-slightly taller.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
is this an indy ?
 i just got back from work got stoned and clicked reply and forgot, if it is, then just take a picture an contact nhs, you?ll get some free trucks, a couple of stickers and that way you?ll see the difference between stages.
fuck, i still havent gotten used to the graveyard shift
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »
I don't know about Aces, but with Indys, I've known people who skate them for a while after they're already cracked.

I love my Stage 11s, they're higher than stage 10s and there's less kingpin resistance. I've had mine for almost a year, with only one minor problem (one of my axles is stripped on one side), but I definitely recommend them.
damn those yarys bout those squats

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
You might want to mention that the picture is an ACE hanger

I'm curious as to whether they'll replace them as I just bent my ACE 33's that I use solely for my cruiser (I'm not that fat).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:26:12 AM by Firebert »

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
Depends if you want a higher, heavier truck. That and modern Indy's will feel more stable than the Ace's.
The Stage XI standards are higher than the Stage X by about what a 1/16" riser pad is.
Getting a set of the forged ones will take them back to Stage X height, and make them 19 grams lighter too.
If you're willing to go all out and get Indy's, just save a lil longer and try the new Titanium Axle Stage XI's.
Might just be worth it. I ride big boards and have big trucks, so I like to lighten the load wherever I can, and those Titanium trucks are about 54 grams lighter than standards and 18 grams lighter than Forged Hollows - a piece, now that's a light ass Indy.
Theeve trucks prices, but hey if you're on a messageboard asking about trucks I take it you care enough to splurge.

Kinch

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
You might want to mention that the picture is an ACE hanger

I'm curious as to whether they'll replace them as I just bent my ACE 33's that I use solely for my cruiser (I'm not that fat).

I thought from my post it would be clear that that was the ace hangar, sorry if it isn't. Also I'm not looking for a replacement from Ace or anything, as far as I am concerned these trucks have been pretty good for the almost two years I skated them.

Having said that I hear you on bending Aces. I'm also not that fat and I definitely bent mine. I know they always appear to be bent even when new but I had clearly bent these beyond that. However I noticed no difference in how they actually skated, they seemed to still be fine despite being bent.

Thanks for the info everyone. I reckon I'll probably try and wring the last bit of life out of the aces and then pick up some stage 11 149s when I need to. Within reason I'm not particularly bothered about how heavy my board is; so I reckon the normal ones will be fine for me.  

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Some folks I know have been doing ace baseplates with indy hangers, you get the turn of ACE with a thicker hanger, I have yet to bend an ACE truck and I have been skating them since they came out, my last set where ground half way though the axle on the front truck, am I just lucky??

Kinch

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:09 AM »
Some folks I know have been doing ace baseplates with indy hangers, you get the turn of ACE with a thicker hanger, I have yet to bend an ACE truck and I have been skating them since they came out, my last set where ground half way though the axle on the front truck, am I just lucky??

I guess so; I do feel like they did me good service though. They were better than anything else I have tried that isn't indy for sure.

The kingpins in my Ace baseplates are somehow able to wobble around a lot, dunno if this is normal or not, I only noticed it recently. Because of that I'm uneasy about skating them, I'll probably use them on my cruiser as I like the turn and I won't be doing anything strenuous on them. As a replacement I got standard 149 stage 11s and am using my old bones bushings and I'm having to ride them so loose that the nut is only half on the kingpin. Does anyone know if this is actually secure, and if not can I just lose the top washer or will that cause issues? Thanks.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess so; I do feel like they did me good service though. They were better than anything else I have tried that isn't indy for sure.

The kingpins in my Ace baseplates are somehow able to wobble around a lot, dunno if this is normal or not, I only noticed it recently. Because of that I'm uneasy about skating them, I'll probably use them on my cruiser as I like the turn and I won't be doing anything strenuous on them. As a replacement I got standard 149 stage 11s and am using my old bones bushings and I'm having to ride them so loose that the nut is only half on the kingpin. Does anyone know if this is actually secure, and if not can I just lose the top washer or will that cause issues? Thanks.

It will wiggle loose, had that happen when I still rode Indy's. I have heard of people super gluing the nut, give that a try.

JBones

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, just take off that top washer. On Stage XI's it's impossible to use a top washer and Bones if you like really loose trucks.
I found this out the first week I had them because my nuts kept coming loose and falling off. Removed washer and never happened since. Never have blown out a top Bones bushing w/ no washer, and I also feel they turn smoother without one too.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
I don't use any washers with my stage 11s and bones bushings, it's good if you have loose trucks so your nuts don't drag when you grind, if you know what I mean ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:44:42 PM by sweat stains »
damn those yarys bout those squats

dillanharp

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
You're not the fist to do this, nor will you be the last. Buy new trucks, move on.

JBones

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
Have you sent a pic of the broken truck to Ace?

A friend of mine had the same break on a set of Krux recently and NHS compensated him. They were well skated and close to end life too.
But regardless, with an obvious crack on them they covered it and made it right.
If Ace doesn't stand by their trucks the way Indy/NHS and or DLX does w/ replacements then I'd be pissed!

Send them an email with pics if you haven't already, it's worth a shot.
Better yet, post pics on their Facebook page - that prob work better because it'd show everybody your broken truck and put them on the spot. Do it up. Good luck.

Kinch

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
Have you sent a pic of the broken truck to Ace?

A friend of mine had the same break on a set of Krux recently and NHS compensated him. They were well skated and close to end life too.
But regardless, with an obvious crack on them they covered it and made it right.
If Ace doesn't stand by their trucks the way Indy/NHS and or DLX does w/ replacements then I'd be pissed!

Send them an email with pics if you haven't already, it's worth a shot.
Better yet, post pics on their Facebook page - that prob work better because it'd show everybody your broken truck and put them on the spot. Do it up. Good luck.

I'm in the UK, it makes that sort of stuff a real pain. Tried it with a real board a few years ago and the shipping costs basically were the same as a new deck. Also I'm not out to get free shit from them, I skated those Aces A LOT over 2 years and they were great.

I don't use any washers with my stage 11s and bones bushings, it's good if you have loose trucks so your nuts don't drag when you grind, if you know what I mean ;)

Haha nice. I'll give it a go with no washers. Thanks for the advice all.

JBones

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »
Have fun! ;D

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Sent in a picture and they said they'd send me a new pair next week. Great customer service.