Author Topic: early 2000s  (Read 11464 times)

ChrisLambe94

Re: early 2000s
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 05:19:03 AM »
Going to the Slam City Jam contests in Vancouver is a highlight in my life . Watching Renee Renee doing FS tails in the deep end of the Hastings bowl in short shorts n cowboy boots was pretty rad haha

Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
WHO REMEMBERS MUSKA GETTING BROKE OFF ON THAT FUCKING OD RAIL AT SLAM CITY I THINK IT WAS 2000 BUT MAYBE 1999 FUCK IT FREE MAX B
FREE MAX B

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »
Did anyone ever own a pair of the kreeper glow in the dark trucks. Always wanted a pair back then for some reason but i went with the new Tensors trucks at the time because it was suppose to be the best truck ever according to ads and their huge team.

Shredsledder

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
PJLWHL was the last video of the VHS era that I watched religiously.

I must have watched that video 100 times. Old PJ style is maximum gnar.

I remember trying tailslides on my mom's minivan's bumper and her getting pissed at me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:16:28 AM by Shredsledder »

Laban Fetus

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
I really wanted Savier shoes after watching "Man Down"

the RDS guys may have been kooking it but the footage of Tony Hawk hitting a beer bong in Colin Mckay's part brought me to tears

C.H.U.D on an MTV dating show with his raver slut girlfriend. Pretty sure it's '98 but the outfits scream 2000

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
Expand Quote
PJLWHL was the last video of the VHS era that I watched religiously.
[close]

I must have watched that video 100 times. Old PJ style is maximum gnar.

I remember trying tailslides on my mom's minivan's bumper and her getting pissed at me.

Did anyone else try to skate a little faster and try multiple tricks at a time before pushing because of this video? I know I tried.

plod

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
I think some people posting up their love for this era weren't even old enough then to claim any opinion since they didn't live it.  That shit there is definition of poser.

Quit googling and trying to be down.  You are obvious second hand info gatherer.

As for me, I joined the navy in 2001 and already had 14 years of skateboarding under my belt.  I got stationed to Yokosuka, Japan in 2002 and didn't leave that duty station until 2006.

In that era, I skated Hong Kong, S. Korea, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Caledonia, Guam, Shanghai, Saipan, India, Philippines, and several cities all over Japan from Hakodate to Okinawa.

When the navy sent me to school in San Diego for seven weeks in 2003, I got to skate OB, Poway, Upland, and Fontana.

I have many fond memories of skating some killer spots/parks and seeing pros and ams of that era out in the wild.

The 90s were still better.
if that was meant for me your way off,  I was born in 79. your post reads like.... None of you know shit now let me tell you all about me me me.  Sounds like you had a good Gig with the navy though.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:16:33 PM by plod »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Expand Quote
I think some people posting up their love for this era weren't even old enough then to claim any opinion since they didn't live it.  That shit there is definition of poser.

Quit googling and trying to be down.  You are obvious second hand info gatherer.

As for me, I joined the navy in 2001 and already had 14 years of skateboarding under my belt.  I got stationed to Yokosuka, Japan in 2002 and didn't leave that duty station until 2006.

In that era, I skated Hong Kong, S. Korea, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Caledonia, Guam, Shanghai, Saipan, India, Philippines, and several cities all over Japan from Hakodate to Okinawa.

When the navy sent me to school in San Diego for seven weeks in 2003, I got to skate OB, Poway, Upland, and Fontana.

I have many fond memories of skating some killer spots/parks and seeing pros and ams of that era out in the wild.

[close]
if that was meant for me your way off,  I was born in 79. your post reads like.... None of you know shit now let me tell you all about me me me.  Sounds like you had a good Gig with the navy though.
Carly Simon - You're So Vain

DONT_CARE

• Rep: -9
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
you guys remember Roofies Grip made by NHS it was really gritty and fucking gave you really bad grip thumb, it later became mob, they made it for birdhouse,tum yeto,world and NHS I still have a box of them.

BlueBlurSpeedsBy

• Rep: -42
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I started skating in in the early 2000's.  First video I ever saw was Sorry.  Some of my favorite videos of all time were from that era...Sorry, really sorry, PJ's WHL, Boston Massacre, Dying to Live, New blood,  DVS Skatemore, Transworld First Love, baker 3, Almost Round 3, and I'm not sure why someone was hating cuz I loved darkstar battalion.  Digged mike hastie and sven, and guy kampfen or whatever. The list goes on forever really.  

It's actually messed up to think about how much skateboarding has changed.  I'm very fond of those days because I remember watching sorry on vhs at my buddies place and when I went back outside  to skate, it was like a whole new world had been opened up to me.  Actually I think that was the day when I had decided there was no turning back.  Back then my pushes were a little harder, my pop a little higher...I don't know if it's all in my head or if it's age or what, but these days I find it hard to get stoked on skate parts.  It's not quite the same.  I loved how in videos during a dudes line there would always be the whole team in the background chilling out.  You don't see that much anymore.  It feels like teams were more family like back then.  These days people come on a team and are gone the next day, not even getting close with anyone...all business.  That's how it feels to me at least.  There are exceptions ofcourse (girl). Plus back then you didn't have any of these fancy boys skating in their dress shirts. Maybe it's just nostalgia for when I started skating and everything was new and awesome.  No nike or redbull.  Mike taylor was sick and not all mikey taylor.  Love park footage.  

edit:  I can't believe I forgot foundation thats life...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:08:16 PM by BlueBlurSpeedsBy »

plod

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Carly Simon - You're So Vain

Ha

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
Yeah right was the first skate video I ever saw

Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
The ORIGINAL Geoff Rowley XLT's. Shoes I learned heelflips in. Maybe pop shuvits too. Maybe even noseslid a handrail in (kinda not i was 14, im guessing im pretty much gramps to maybe the majority of other posters).... so anyways skate shoes from then lasted a lot longer than skate shoes from now apparently. also had the red muska circas with the first ever stash pockets. for like a day and traded em to my homie for what i do not remember. i had baker 2g on vhs, a subscription to Big Brother magazine, a black label 7.6, a ton of element featherlights, venture trucks, lucky bearings, all the other early 2000's stuff. shorty's flexfit hat. i actually think i was wearing the hat when i lost my virginity. or i at least wore it later that weekend or something.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 01:57:32 AM »
The ORIGINAL Geoff Rowley XLT's. Shoes I learned heelflips in. Maybe pop shuvits too. Maybe even noseslid a handrail in (kinda not i was 14, im guessing im pretty much gramps to maybe the majority of other posters).... so anyways skate shoes from then lasted a lot longer than skate shoes from now apparently. also had the red muska circas with the first ever stash pockets. for like a day and traded em to my homie for what i do not remember. i had baker 2g on vhs, a subscription to Big Brother magazine, a black label 7.6, a ton of element featherlights, venture trucks, lucky bearings, all the other early 2000's stuff. shorty's flexfit hat. i actually think i was wearing the hat when i lost my virginity. or i at least wore it later that weekend or something.

XLTs were really dope, I always wanted a pair of those, I had the Rowleys and was actually a little disappointed in how they performed but I still wanted to try the versions succeeding it one by one, the XLTs hold more nostalgia for me though because they looked sexy as fuck and everybodyyyy I know rocked them, even non skaters

kiefersutherland

• Rep: -24
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2013, 12:53:11 AM »

[/quote]

One of my fondest memory was downloading Yeah Right and The PJ Ladd coliseum video from Kazaa on my dial up computer for 3 days straight. I would go to sleep wake up the next day and see 10 more min of the video till it was done hahahaha
[/quote]

MAN i used to have kazaa and do the same shit,then after that it was limewire or something

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 12:54:13 AM »

One of my fondest memory was downloading Yeah Right and The PJ Ladd coliseum video from Kazaa on my dial up computer for 3 days straight. I would go to sleep wake up the next day and see 10 more min of the video till it was done hahahaha
[/quote]

MAN i used to have kazaa and do the same shit,then after that it was limewire or something
[/quote]

napster son

Bonesaw24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote] I did the same damn thing with sorry and in bloom haha

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
I started skating in 2000 because of THPS at age 11
got "the Storm" in my stocking for Christmas
wore my Rowley classics to school because I thought they were too thin to skate
landed a nollie flip on flat before I dropped in on a mini ramp because "vert was gay"
I had the Greco board smashing Eminem with a guitar
sight unseen changed my life
rocked a pair of mj 1's with a trainwreck board and a spike belt
watched street cinema almost everyday
tried salads on my flat rail from academy all the time
the early 2000's ruled

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »
landed a nollie flip on flat before I dropped in on a mini ramp because "vert was gay"
the early 2000's ruled

u had salads at age 11?

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
Expand Quote
the early 2000's ruled
[close]

u had salads at age 11?

no I was around 13 and I was doing them for maybe two feet. My friend was really good at them I remember we thought that was the raddest trick.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
Rasa Libre

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
Rasa Libre

NO

YES

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 05:58:05 PM »
Fuck, guess I'll actually speak on my early 2000 life...

THPS
Pappalardo boards and Don PendletonXAWS graphics
Tech decks in class
Making shit from random pieces of wood I found in people's garbage in my hood
(The) Muska
Transworld
cupsoles, especially MJ1s (Lakais)
Westside skateshop sidewalk sales
i.e., opinion,this is skateboarding, baker 2g, in bloom and a slew of other videos my world revolved around off kazaa