Author Topic: Curren Caples Mechano shaped 8.25 deck by flip  (Read 6206 times)

soccer mom

Curren Caples Mechano shaped 8.25 deck by flip
« on: October 08, 2013, 11:28:47 PM »
 Check out this new Flip deck, it is almost normal popsicle shape, but it is different. Curren Caples just turned pro and i was stoked he actaull shaped a deck instread of just riding what ever size and shape they made. It is kind of football shaped, like a 90's board but 8.25 wide instead of 9 . It keeps your feet locked in the right places, the mid section is wide and cruisable in bowls and stuff, but the tail has a perfect pocket for all kinds of getting tricky. I have been riding it a few days now and i think I like it more than anything I HAVE TRIED IN YEARS. I know some folks like to hate flip and its not polar or magenta or the new artsy diy company of the month, but it is good wood, good shape, good graphic reminds me of old VCJ work and layout.  Curren is a surfer to so maybe he understands shapes, whatever it is it is working and i was stoked he took that much thought. You should get one
  Woops cant get the image to load, someone do me a favor and steal one from the site. I am a total beginner at the computer slap tech stuff

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Curren Caples Mechano shaped 8.25 deck by flip
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »
I like it. My kinda thang.

It's also interesting that PS Stix is making them for Flip.
PS Stix is quite the go to place for "shapes".

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »
Flip is good.

6 pac

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
after some really bad years for flip they finally are on the right path again

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:48 AM »
Looks like a fun shape to skate.

Does anyone know who actually makes P2 boards?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:35 AM »

I think NHS manufacturers all P2 boards, for every company that is offering them.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think NHS manufacturers all P2 boards, for every company that is offering them.

Cheers, yeah that sounds right. Creature and Santa Cruz had them first.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
I'm gonna grab the red one:

Tale Crab

• Rep: 350
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
I absolutely hate boards that are wider in the middle.

This NHS shape on the other hand is the truth. Flip should copy it to their line.

JBones

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 12:51:36 AM »
I am pretty sure he had ridden this deck in some prototype stages before he got the pro model.
They didn't just present him with that surprise fish and say "ta da, you're pro, and you're first pro deck is a football".
I've seen pics of him skating with a Lance cruiser deck, that skinny one in orange w/ the face, or it was a Lance cruiser deck heat transfer graphic on something that was pointy and similar or the same to this deck.

Cool that it's out nonetheless, I dig it.

I have a Santa Cruz Oops Guzman football deck and it's prob the best deck I've had in a while.
1992 shape full on, but with a really nice modern concave and it's super rigid and actually pretty light.
It's sad they are discontinuing it. I'm bummed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:53:38 AM by JBones »

soccer mom

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:07 AM »
Grab one of these Curren decks they rip. I'm going to get another one asap

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
Check out this new Flip deck, it is almost normal popsicle shape, but it is different. Curren Caples just turned pro and i was stoked he actaull shaped a deck instread of just riding what ever size and shape they made. It is kind of football shaped, like a 90's board but 8.25 wide instead of 9 . It keeps your feet locked in the right places, the mid section is wide and cruisable in bowls and stuff, but the tail has a perfect pocket for all kinds of getting tricky. I have been riding it a few days now and i think I like it more than anything I HAVE TRIED IN YEARS. I know some folks like to hate flip and its not polar or magenta or the new artsy diy company of the month, but it is good wood, good shape, good graphic reminds me of old VCJ work and layout.  Curren is a surfer to so maybe he understands shapes, whatever it is it is working and i was stoked he took that much thought. You should get one
  Woops cant get the image to load, someone do me a favor and steal one from the site. I am a total beginner at the computer slap tech stuff

i hated my flip deck and these are my favorite companies.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
How is flips wood? Arn't NHS boards made in china? I actually have been thinking about trying a flip board just for the sake of nostalgia. Im really interested in trying a board like this out.

JBones

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
How is flips wood? Aren't NHS boards made in china? I actually have been thinking about trying a flip board just for the sake of nostalgia. Im really interested in trying a board like this out.

The Santa Cruz deck I have right now is insanely tough. Super stiff and strong and actually surprisingly light too. Pop like crazy!
It's a Power Ply football shaped 8.75x32 deck and yes it is Made In China. I was pleasently surprised at how fuckin good it was after the first 2 sesh's with it. Compared to my last Real deck it was so much more rigid and snappier than the flexier DLX/Real deck was.
It's a tough fuckin board!
Honestly, it really makes no diff where the decks are made, it's all about what WOOD and GLUE is used, not origin of manufacturer.
It's either an Asian worker here making our boards or an Asian worker there making our boards, makes no difference.
If it spent months sitting on a boat crossing seas, being exposed to the elements and warping I could see something to bitch about, but that has not been the case in my experience w/ better Chinese decks. Right now there's good stuff out there, it's not like it used to be with toothpick snapping boards. Shit got better and they finally figured out how to make really good decks.
So don't believe the Made in China hate - people just love to hate on stuff cuz they sit and read the internet and think everything deck that comes outta China is like a Walmart board.
If it's North American Hard Rock maple and it's made in China using the same techniques and glue that they used here then those dudes that hate on them only because they are imported should look down and realize everything they have on is made in Asia.

Try one dude, you will like it!  :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:39:13 PM by JBones »

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »
I absolutely hate boards that are wider in the middle.

This NHS shape on the other hand is the truth. Flip should copy it to their line.

Creature's shapes are terrible.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 04:57:40 AM »
I think one of the reasons his first model is football shaped, is because the year he was born, those were the shapes people were skating, kinda like an "homage" type thing.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »
I think one of the reasons his first model is football shaped, is because the year he was born, those were the shapes people were skating, kinda like an "homage" type thing.

You are joking, right?

I skated my first FLIP board in a decade or so today.

That PS2 stuff is kind off odd, still I'll give her a whirl...

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
Nice shape, way to skinny for my big ass feet though. My cruiser board is a Flip Lance Mountain, it's a great board. I would ride Curren's board if they made it 8.75 or 9".

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You are joking, right?

I skated my first FLIP board in a decade or so today.

That PS2 stuff is kind off odd, still I'll give her a whirl...

Well, I mean curren was born around 92 or 93 right?

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
So Flip is back on track, when they turn the two guys pro, that were the very same then kids all you idiots were saying was why flip sucked...  every time I get confused by the sometimes logic of this place I remember most of you don't even really skate.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
I think this is more about the unique shape of the board as opposed to "flip is doing shit right now." (although one could argue having arto back on is enough)

I could care less who's name or logo is on this board, my last flip board was the 8-bit Alex Chalmers soda can that came out right after Sorry

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 07:17:14 AM »
So Flip is back on track, when they turn the two guys pro, that were the very same then kids all you idiots were saying was why flip sucked...?  every time I get confused by the sometimes logic of this place I remember most of you don't even really skate.
Hard to relate to a team of kids.  They're grownups now.  I've backed Flip for a while.  Rowley has it right hooking up the young guns and keeping the legends, and reaching out to South America.  Flip has one of the most stacked, well-rounded team out there.  Also, their boards are good.

They lost some ground on Slap when Appleyard left with that stupid ad, but in hindsight that was probably a dumb move on his end.

This board will probably be my next one. 

d1lyh4n4

• Rep: -2
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:58:49 PM »
How is flips wood? Arn't NHS boards made in china? I actually have been thinking about trying a flip board just for the sake of nostalgia. Im really interested in trying a board like this out.

DOOOOD this chick in ur sig is so hot it makes me literally want to kill myself!!

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 03:59:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DOOOOD this chick in ur sig is so hot it makes me literally want to kill myself!!

he said it was his girl and wont post pics but thats no prob lem because i have jerked it too his girl at least 100 times by now
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?