Author Topic: How soon will you ditch a board / shoes you don't get on with?  (Read 6083 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
How soon will you ditch a board / shoes you don't get on with?
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
I'm currently suffering with some poor purchasing choices.

A Flip P2 Penny and some very cheap half-cabs.

I always used to try to skate things through, but...

If you aren't feeling your board / shoes do you just chuck them or persevere?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How soon will you ditch a board / shoes you don't get on with?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »
For me it depends what season it is. I will continue skating shit stuff throughout the winter, and Start fresh in the spring

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »
within just a couple of days.

Slappy_Happy

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
I suffer from bad purchase syndrome.  I always wanna try something new instead of sticking with what works for me.  I got a politic.  Skated it for two days.  And then got a new board.  I always end up coming back to stuff and liking it.  Gonna skate the politic after my current board.  Skated it a little and it felt a lot better for some reason.

With shoes I always get used to them.  I always wait two weeks and then re access whether or not to buy better ones but I always end up liking them.

the evidence seems to be in the highwaters.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »
i got the rowley reissues and i hate them. after maybe four hours of skating in them they are already so busted that i might as well ditch them now. probably the worst skate shoes i have ever had. i didn't want to skate them originally, but they were going to waste already, sweat stains on the outside of the synthetic and shit. i haven't had that with any other shoe this bad.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »
If I'm not really into it, then just a couple of days or so. I have some barely skated Mike Mo's, Busenitz Vulcs, and HUF Peppers in the closet.

With decks, I just give them away to local kids if I can't skate it.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
ive ditched wheels same day.. if they just dont feel right.. they're gone.
ive ditched shoes after 2 sessions., the silas II.. something just didn't seem right. i could barely skate in them.

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
There has only been a couple shoes that I liked right of the bat, almost every time I'm skating new shoes I hate them until they're broken in. You have to just wait a week or so, I haven't had a shoe I didn't get used to in a long time and that was because the material of the shoe was awful.
With boards, I'd say just stick with what you like, I get the same shape every time.
damn those yarys bout those squats

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »
If you don't get on with a deck cuz it's a slightly different shape than what you like, you're kind of a bitch.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
I usually skate the same shape every time but when I'm trying something new and it feels off I give it two sessions, tops. I usually know at that point if it's going to work for me or not. I don't fuck around with decks if they feel wrong from the get go.

Shoes are a little different. I rotate several pair so if a pair feel strange the first session it's no biggie. I will give them a few skates.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
Boards are alright cause you can sorta see/feel it out first, but sometimes I just get it in my head that the boards the reason for my suckiness. Like when I first started skating an 8" - that width became this huge mental hurdle and I convinced myself I couldn't do flip tricks anymore. Shoes are harder so I kinda stick to what works for me, I'm not of enough financial means to be giving up on shoes after a day...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
I can make a board work if it doesn't jive one day, but if shoes feel off, I might only skate them once

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
just know what you like, my first choice is a raw board 8 1/8th second choice a politic board same size, both different but i like them both for different reasons. Shoes it ether needs to be era influenced mainly the chimes, or soccer influenced shoes, gate/buez just like i said before theyre both different but work.

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
I've never done that with a board. A board is a board, you'll get used to it.

Pretty much the same with shoes. But I did ditch a pair of Lakais this summer after one session. Fuck those shoes.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
If you don't get on with a deck cuz it's a slightly different shape than what you like, you're kind of a bitch.

Yeah, usually I'd agree. This has a really flat then mellow tail though. Seems to really fuck with my timing. This rarely happens, 3rd board I can think of in 18 years...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »
I had a Creature board once and it completely blew. It felt like there was hardly a tail on it and I just couldn't do it. Thank god the plies started separating after only skating it a couple times.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 01:33:30 AM »
Ive ditched boards after a week.
Shoes are a different story, I had like 10 plus pairs of
Reynolds cruisers in a row, so I thought i'd try something different.
Bad move.. Say what you want, half cabs suck and were ditched after
3 days.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 01:57:22 AM »
Ive ditched boards after a week.
Shoes are a different story, I had like 10 plus pairs of
Reynolds cruisers in a row, so I thought i'd try something different.
Bad move.. Say what you want, half cabs suck and were ditched after
3 days.

I'm not a current era Vans fan, but I had never had Cabs and they were really cheap and everyone raves about their classic status etc...

They look pretty but really don't offer any support. On top of the that the famed board feel and waffle grip is nothing to sing about.

plod

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 04:06:13 AM »
I bought a shop board with pool shape and it fucking sucks for ollieing and flip tricks, tail is to steep too so tailslides are weird.
Previous to that Ibought a weird girl alex olson board with a really long wheelbase so two dumb purchases in a row, sort of tempted to try a welcome board which could potentially be weird too.

I never learn, but I enjoy trying different shapes.

If a boards not working for me and I'm not broke ill swap it. Never really have problems with shoes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:08:33 AM by plod »

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »
A lot of new decks feel weird and you just have to ride them for a while until you get used to them. There's been a few times where I've ridden one for a few weeks and felt it just didn't feel "right", so I ditched it and hooked up a new deck. This was very rare though.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 07:28:30 AM »
I'm too old to waste time with skateboard components that leave me unfulfilled.  I'm happy to kick down stuff to the kids that kill it and can't afford to keep ripping.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
I've never rode a board for less than a month unless I snapped it. I don't think I've ever bought the same board twice and I've never not gotten somewhat used to it in the first couple of weeks.

Same thing with shoes, but i enjoy a really broken in shoe, so every time I get a new pair it always feels weird at first but ends up feeling alright after a while. A few times I've had to wear some shoes for a month or two before skating them, cuz they were way too tight at first.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
This Polar P2 shape I got turned out to be a P1 shape I think? Aowno...deck measures way different than spec but the strange thing is I never seen the no complies graphic anywhere as anything other than a P2 or a standard Popsicle shape.

Too long and wide for me (pause) with that steep pool board kick tail. Cumbersome for skating street, but actually the ideal board for cruising in the shitty little city where I live. Gonna just throw some rat bones 60mms and risers on it and tank it out for errands and cruising. Got a passport deck en route...

Say all that to say I usually try and repurpose things rather than outright ditch em.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Going though this right now. Skating some Lakai's that I love, got some Emerica Tempsters and just wearing them around they fucking suck, super uncomfortable, tried taking out the insoles and putting in puffy ones, helped a little, the shoe is just made weird, rubs on the ankle, hurts my toes where it bends, not sure if I am going to be able to skate them. Might sell them and get some more Lakai's or try the Sevant vegan shoe.

commie

• Rep: 17
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
I got some Adidas a couple years back and I couldn't skate in them at all. They felt too much like running shoes to me. I prefer thinner shoes I guess. I use them for jogging to this day though.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »
Four sessions and if its not right it's getting repurposed. Decks will either be given away or cut into beer shop cruisers and shoes get put into the rotation for walking the dog.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »
I'm too old to waste time with skateboard components that leave me unfulfilled.  I'm happy to kick down stuff to the kids that kill it and can't afford to keep ripping.

This. Plus I get to skate once or twice a week, so I'm not gonna waste time on getting used to new gear, if I can avoid it. Just recently I was forced to find a new pair shoes to skate cause my local shop ran out of Mikey Taylors and Mike Mos in my size. Got some new Reynolds, skated like 5 min and sold them. Settled for some Lakai Howards. First session was a bit weird, now 4 sessions in, they feel pretty good. Real snug.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
Maybe a thought for a different thread entirely but how often do you guys go through decks normally?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm too old to waste time with skateboard components that leave me unfulfilled.?  I'm happy to kick down stuff to the kids that kill it and can't afford to keep ripping.
[close]

This. Plus I get to skate once or twice a week, so I'm not gonna waste time on getting used to new gear, if I can avoid it.
hardly art, hardly starving

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 07:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm too old to waste time with skateboard components that leave me unfulfilled.?  I'm happy to kick down stuff to the kids that kill it and can't afford to keep ripping.
[close]

This. Plus I get to skate once or twice a week, so I'm not gonna waste time on getting used to new gear, if I can avoid it.
[close]

Yeah, in the same boat.The shoes are now for walking on the beach in. The board, I'll try to skate some more as I want to see a bit more of the supposed P2 magic (although I went and stocked up on a real and krooked, think I'll just stick with deluxe from now on).