Author Topic: How soon will you ditch a board / shoes you don't get on with?  (Read 6084 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: How soon will you ditch a board / shoes you don't get on with?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
Maybe a thought for a different thread entirely but how often do you guys go through decks normally?
20 or so sessions which would equate to about five weeks. Depends on where I've been skating, sometimes it'll be less and I'll have a board for 3 or 4 weeks but now I'm all grown up I like to keep them just long enough that they are still of some value to some kid that I'll either hand it too or just leave it at the spot.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
ive ridden a lot of shitty boards and shoes and just put up with them but i dont go through shit very fast anymore and its more worth it for me to spend money on something good. lately ive been lucky and have liked what ive been riding.

my local shop does this thing where they keep track of all the money you spend and at every increment of $500 you get a free deck. I wasnt keeping track and i ended up getting two decks pretty close to each other. they were just cheep blanks that the shop spray painted. i hated the shape of the first one and now ive got a brand new one that i havent even gripped because i know ill never use it. i think its really awesome that the shop does that, but i know i dont like their shapes so i really dont get anything out of it. ive thought about painting it or trying to trade it for something else but most likely it will just sit in my room.

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
I've been trying to get on with a set of Indy Koston trucks. I'm used to skating low Ventures or Thunders and got these because they were sold to me for skateshop cost and they didn't have Ventures that were wide enough for my 8.25 board. It's been a month and a half and I still can't get the hang of them, so in 2 weeks if they aren't working I'll probably give them away and make sure someone who needs trucks gets them. I'll probably land up with Venture or Thunder trucks again.

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
Shoes and decks are much easier to get used to for me than trucks. New trucks are something I despise in skateboarding, if I knew someone that was my weight/ stance that skated exactly like me, I'd give that person my new trucks for 2 months to break in before I make the commitment of putting them on my board. Some shoe companies are trying to sell us sneakers with the marketing ploy that they have a "broken in" feel to them, and I think it'd be nice if truck companies took notice of this and applied it to their own products.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe a thought for a different thread entirely but how often do you guys go through decks normally?
[close]
20 or so sessions which would equate to about five weeks. Depends on where I've been skating, sometimes it'll be less and I'll have a board for 3 or 4 weeks but now I'm all grown up I like to keep them just long enough that they are still of some value to some kid that I'll either hand it too or just leave it at the spot.

That's about where I'm at too. Anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on where I've been skating. I skate every day in the summer and about 4 or 5 days a week in the Fall, so I am on my board quite a bit. I just retired a Habitat Delatorre that lasted me 6 solid weeks and most likely could've gone another week or two.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

That's about where I'm at too. Anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on where I've been skating. I skate every day in the summer and about 4 or 5 days a week in the Fall, so I am on my board quite a bit. I just retired a Habitat Delatorre that lasted me 6 solid weeks and most likely could've gone another week or two.
I can't remember the last time I took a board "to term". I've cracked a few but haven't straight broken one in years. Wheels are about every third board.

El_JayDude

• Rep: -6
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »
With a deck I usually just stick it out and skate it.  But I got a loaner baker 8.38 that i'm really liking, especially with the gifted janoski's I started skating, and I've got two 8.25 aliens on deck that I might just skip over and get another 8.38.

I have quite a bit of shoes so if I don't like them it's possible they might just sit in my closet and never get worn, but I hardly ever pay more than 30-35 dollars for shoes. Decks ain't cheap, especially if you set up a new deck every few weeks like a lot of people.

EDIT: Creature just put pics up of a new board series, Badlands, graphics are sweet and I've always wanted to try a Creature so I might just be getting the 8.375.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:36:26 PM by El_JayDude »

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
I'm currently suffering with some poor purchasing choices.

A Flip P2 Penny and some very cheap half-cabs.

I always used to try to skate things through, but...

If you aren't feeling your board / shoes do you just chuck them or persevere?

Not fond of the P2?  I'm a big fan of those boards....

But if I don't like shoes I'll typically save them for just chill/work shoes.  If it's a board I'll have to skate it through so no cash went to waste.  Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Kayo and Deluxe wood, so I haven't had any problems for a while.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm currently suffering with some poor purchasing choices.

A Flip P2 Penny and some very cheap half-cabs.

I always used to try to skate things through, but...

If you aren't feeling your board / shoes do you just chuck them or persevere?
[close]

Not fond of the P2?  I'm a big fan of those boards....

But if I don't like shoes I'll typically save them for just chill/work shoes.  If it's a board I'll have to skate it through so no cash went to waste.  Right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Kayo and Deluxe wood, so I haven't had any problems for a while.

Yeah, I was on Deluxe / Kayo for almost 5 years straight.

The P2 "pop" seems ok, it is the shape or just my mind!

Boards last me ages at the mo because I've been skating a perfect park and use a cruiser to get about on. Usually a couple of months a deck, though I'm feeling a P2 focus coming on...

Wheels too as Bones seem to last forever there...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
With boards I just keep skating them until i get used to them. I can get used to almost any shape or concave over time. The only board ive ever switched out was a baker deck from a lil while back. The shape was just too damn weird for me. Funny thing is the deck I'm currently skating is a baker deck i got from Baca. The shape this time around feels a lot better though. The one i had before was super flat and pointy, i just couldn't get used to it. The one baca gave me has a way better shape though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:42:31 AM by Noble Experiment »

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
I've wondered if some boards they fuck up the dimensions or press them wrong.

Case in point I had a D Way Alien board where the nose was quite a lot shorter and mellower than the tail and yet the it was wider and the tail was narrower (as they normally are), so it wasn't a case of the graphics being printed the wrong way round. Needless to say it sucked balls.

The current P2 has way too long a flat section after the trucks and then a really mellow kick. May be the press was 'off'?

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 10:15:16 AM »

Case in point I had a D Way Alien board where the nose was quite a lot shorter and mellower than the tail and yet the it was wider and the tail was narrower (as they normally are), so it wasn't a case of the graphics being printed the wrong way round. Needless to say it sucked balls.

The current P2 has way too long a flat section after the trucks and then a really mellow kick. May be the press was 'off'?

ive never seen one in person but ive definitely heard of boards being printed upside down. id probably be a little bummed if i was really stoked on the graphic but if thats all that was wrong then its still perfectly skateable. the graphic will be gone in a few days anyway.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 07:33:47 AM »
I've been trying to get on with a set of Indy Koston trucks. I'm used to skating low Ventures or Thunders and got these because they were sold to me for skateshop cost and they didn't have Ventures that were wide enough for my 8.25 board. It's been a month and a half and I still can't get the hang of them, so in 2 weeks if they aren't working I'll probably give them away and make sure someone who needs trucks gets them. I'll probably land up with Venture or Thunder trucks again.
solution

oror

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »

Going back a lot of years now I used to work for a major distributor and was told by one of the buyers there that boards that would otherwise be considered factory seconds (warped wood, concave defaults, graphic misprints, truck holes drilled off centre) would be stored and labelled to be sent to Australia and sold at the same extortionate prices Australians have always payed for skateboarding hard wear.not sure if this practice still exists but it did back then.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Going back a lot of years now I used to work for a major distributor and was told by one of the buyers there that boards that would otherwise be considered factory seconds (warped wood, concave defaults, graphic misprints, truck holes drilled off centre) would be stored and labelled to be sent to Australia and sold at the same extortionate prices Australians have always payed for skateboarding hard wear.not sure if this practice still exists but it did back then.

Funny you should bring this up...I've often wondered if boards go 'bad'. Not in the traditional sense of a product going bad and being unusable, just as in they lose some quality if they've been sitting around for months.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Habitat 8.18 shape and I try to buy everything they make it in. I set up one of their hemp ply boards that was an 8.18 but it had been sitting in the shop for months...almost 10, 11 months. The day I set it up it felt like a soggy mess, and felt unusually flat too. Just, odd. Keep in mind, I ride Habitat boards probably 6 or 7 out of every 10 boards I ride, so I know what their supposed to feel like. This one was way off for some reason, and got me thinking about variances in pressing, or if the wood does have a shelf life.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Funny you should bring this up...I've often wondered if boards go 'bad'. Not in the traditional sense of a product going bad and being unusable, just as in they lose some quality if they've been sitting around for months.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Habitat 8.18 shape and I try to buy everything they make it in. I set up one of their hemp ply boards that was an 8.18 but it had been sitting in the shop for months...almost 10, 11 months. The day I set it up it felt like a soggy mess, and felt unusually flat too. Just, odd. Keep in mind, I ride Habitat boards probably 6 or 7 out of every 10 boards I ride, so I know what their supposed to feel like. This one was way off for some reason, and got me thinking about variances in pressing, or if the wood does have a shelf life.
Yeah it can totally happen. Like any natural material wood can be changed by the humidity/moisture and how it's stored. Too many boards stacked up in a slightly moist area and some of them are going to misshape. If boards are left for too long in a dry area they can become brittle and snap easily. When they're making them a really important part of the process is letting the wood cure after pressing so they harden up right.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
I usually only buy boards from companies that I've bought from for years now --- but when I used to try out new shapes and companies nearly every time that I needed a board, I would usually sell the board within two or three sessions if I really can't stand it.

As for shoes, if they aren't working for skating, I'll just walk around in them. I can usually make them work as long as they fit me correctly.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah it can totally happen. Like any natural material wood can be changed by the humidity/moisture and how it's stored. Too many boards stacked up in a slightly moist area and some of them are going to misshape. If boards are left for too long in a dry area they can become brittle and snap easily. When they're making them a really important part of the process is letting the wood cure after pressing so they harden up right.

the lights in the shop can cause them to warp and lose their shape too if they have lamps or hanging lights close to the boards. those kick off a lot of heat and cause the boards to warp and become more brittle.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
I can ride any board, but shoes and bushings have to be perfect... or close to perfect

Never mess around with shitty bushings, used the same set for 3 sets of trucks

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
Shoes and decks are much easier to get used to for me than trucks. New trucks are something I despise in skateboarding, if I knew someone that was my weight/ stance that skated exactly like me, I'd give that person my new trucks for 2 months to break in before I make the commitment of putting them on my board. Some shoe companies are trying to sell us sneakers with the marketing ploy that they have a "broken in" feel to them, and I think it'd be nice if truck companies took notice of this and applied it to their own products.

Theevetrucks.com
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »
Decks usually last 2 months at the most. I always like to try something new, I can get used to just about any shape, concave etc. but it has to be 8" wide, I've tried the 8 1/8, and the 8.25, just too wide for me. Trucks last a long time, I've never really paid attention, but at the least 6-8 months, these new theeve v3's might last longer though. Shoes, last me forever, at least 3 months. The only shoe I've ever had in 13 years of skating that blew out immediately were the fallen jack curtin model, the Capitol. Wheels, I skate those things till there completely dead, 3-4 months. And bearings I try to hold onto for as long as I can, I usually replace those individually.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
I skate a lot of Real decks, i've gotten used to their shapes, an prefer them, plus I skate 8.5's and Real always has a few of them. But in the summer I was breaking alot of boards, and one day I was in my shop and they didn't have alot of boards in 8.5,  I saw a Almost "double-Impact" deck with the carbon fiber top and discs on the bottom, it had a warranty and was a 8.4 so I thought I would try something new...
Well, I hated that board. The concave was super steep, and when i would pop tricks not only would it feel super weird, but it would also sound way different than a traditional deck. All my flip tricks were going weird or rocket. I skated it like 3 times and couldn't get used to it, so I got an Anti-Hero and the Almost board has been in the trunk as a spare ever since. That's the first time I have ever gave up on a board, but I just wasn't feeling that carbon fiber shit.