Author Topic: CBI After Black Hammers: jovontae turner  (Read 8062 times)

Aatila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
Re: CBI After Black Hammers: jovontae turner
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
Are y'all seriously defending oyola for saying the word? There's  no justifying yelling that.  You read the interview he obviously was trying to get a reaction it wasn't like he yelled it once and retracted it was stated he yelled it multiple times.

Conor Thunderson

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Are y'all seriously defending oyola for saying the word? There's  no justifying yelling that.  You read the interview he obviously was trying to get a reaction it wasn't like he yelled it once and retracted it was stated he yelled it multiple times.

oyola worship is a hard thing to wrap your head around.  his followers would excuse just about anything... you'd think he was the central character in the bible sometimes...but alas, he is just a mere man.  it doesn't seem to out of character though, oyola is pissed.  if its true, and i cant see why it wouldn't be, thats an absolute bummer.  there is no  room for philosophical 2013 bullshit about it. segregation only ended in 1964, and for a white kid, with the luxury of dissecting a word that only has, and only will pertain to the racial oppression of blacks, is also inexcusable.  at the risk of being hypocritical, how can a person, whom is white have any real, relevant say on how it should or does make a black person feel.  it pissed off jovantae enough that he still clearly remembers it, and i wouldn't have faulted him at all if he laid him out right there.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 05:09:58 PM »
Not defending Ricky whatsoever, but when the interviewer has to call out Tae on not including major details of a story (the Berra thing).. you have to question everything else he said.

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Since when is it a big deal for a Puerto Rican to use the n-word?  Im confused.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
Not defending Ricky whatsoever, but when the interviewer has to call out Tae on not including major details of a story (the Berra thing).. you have to question everything else he said.

When did he do that? His story seemed pretty descriptive to me

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
Berra comes and sits down beside me and I ended up saying something and he responds with, ?Cool, black guy.?

In fairness, Kareem did say you called him a ?white asshole?.

(laughs) Well, I was over it.

But I hopped to the side of my bed, put on my shoes, stood up and punched him.

So it's cool to try and paint someone as a racist in an interview when you made the first racist remark?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
Berra comes and sits down beside me and I ended up saying something and he responds with, ?Cool, black guy.?

So it's cool to try and paint someone as a racist in an interview when you made the first racist remark?

first off its not like berra said the n word berra says cool, black guy and he called him a white asshole i don't see the painting someone racist there.but if your referring to oyola its been stated he did things like this in multiple interviews.  Did you read the part where he talked to stevie and he mentioned he did the same thing to them but they could not do anything because he was bigger.

Conor Thunderson

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »

where was xenu then, motherfucker!?

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
Damn I thoroughly enjoyed that.

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
What the fuck, you white people get really uppity about political correctness when non blacks use the words nigger or nigga like you have some second hand guilt that you're trying to hide.

Don't feel guilty white people, words only have as much power as you allow them to. As a black guy, I've heard nigger and nigga from every shade of human on the planet, and it doesn't rock my world nearly as much as it seems to in your world.

Jovontae is gonna have a nigga in a watermelon patch that mostly white people are going to buy as a deck graphic, and yet hates on a white guy saying nigger? So it's okay for whites to embrace racism when it is profitable for him, but when it isn't he has to have a dog chase this dude out of EMB? Sounds hypocritical.

None of us were around when people were slaves, so it has just as much effect on you when someone says nigger as it does on me, which SHOULD be no effect at all if you've mastered yourself.

However, if you white guys are still feeling guilty about stuff that you and your lineage was probably never directly connected to, go onto worldstar hiphop for a few video comments and read about how white people smell like wet dog, were invented by blacks 600 years ago on an island off of Greece and were created by crossing the Asiatic black man with pig dna. That should help you feel a little more balanced :) I invite all Slap forum members to say nigga whenever they want, since I'm not greedy and I share.

All that aside, Jovontae has the best tre flips ever. I know he talked about the whole catching with his front foot first, but it never looked like he was trying to benihana his feet out like a lot of these weirdos do so I never considered it a "yo flip." The clothes look sick too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

Berra said something about this in an interview.  He had heard Rick Howard say to I guess Kareem...Sheffy...or Jovontae....at some point... 'real cool...black guy...real cool....'

When you're the coolest guy in skateboarding and those are your buddies....it's funny.....

Berra was neither....

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 141
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
But, on a good note, that interview was rad. Tae seems to like the smell of his own farts a little bit, but I suppose that when you fart style, you'd be lying to claim anything but.

I'd gnar you for this if I could. Bravo.

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
my point is they're all just words. in certain settings it prolly isn't prudent to use certain terms but if there's no racial hate behind them, they're just syllables of frustration. i have a dear friend from one of the whitest states in the union and yrs back i was taken aback by her use of 'nigger' in angst. but she wasn't racist, definitely wouldn't have used it in a racist context so i got over it. i've become desensitized to all the typical bad words so after i expend cunt i move on to gibberish, just frothing sounds of pain and anguish. sure it's got a history but at some point society will move on and something new will replace it. 'shit' usedta not be a taboo word when people crapped in public and gay usedta mean happy. imagine if whites bristled and fought every time they were referred to as whiteboy? sure, blacks were oppressed and enslaved [alongsides a lot of whites, and some indians] and i realize institutional racism exists but ricky o ain't oppressing anyone yelling at his board.

really now?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
I expected nothing but butthurtedness once I saw the race thing pop up in this thread. I am pleased to see that about half of you are forward thinking. We really have come a long way. Mostly thanks to hip hop (and to a lesser extent, comedians). Let's continue to remove the power from the word "nigger" along with all other so called offensive words. After all, as one poster already mentioned, they are just words. Removing the power from these taboo words also helps to undermine their bigoted causes.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
once we've sorted that out can we move onto 'ginger'?

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
I wish they had called out Jovontae for robbing folks at EMB. Though that seems to be a well known "secret" in skateboarding nobody ever talks about!
 Also little back story (and I am not defending Ricky at all) Ricky's best friend at the time was a black skater (Roger Brown I think was his name) who rode for Santa Cruz or SMA in the late 80's (first person to have stuff filmed at Love park) he would yell the n word at his board, Ricky being young and dumb picked it up from him and I am guessing didn't understand who pissed people who be hearing it coming from a dude who looks white. I bet in a one on one fight back then Ricky would have given Jovontae a good fight, from what I heard a whole mob of dudes chased Ricky out not just two.
Anyway saying the n word is fucking stupid whether it ends in a or er!

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
hahaha what?
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
DGKalis, is it true that you would "Study" Jovontae's 3 flips on video in slo mo?
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

sk8nigga

• Rep: 6
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
I wish they had called out Jovontae for robbing folks at EMB. Though that seems to be a well known "secret" in skateboarding nobody ever talks about!
 Also little back story (and I am not defending Ricky at all) Ricky's best friend at the time was a black skater (Roger Brown I think was his name) who rode for Santa Cruz or SMA in the late 80's (first person to have stuff filmed at Love park) he would yell the n word at his board, Ricky being young and dumb picked it up from him and I am guessing didn't understand who pissed people who be hearing it coming from a dude who looks white. I bet in a one on one fight back then Ricky would have given Jovontae a good fight, from what I heard a whole mob of dudes chased Ricky out not just two.

Don't know where you heard that back story from, but it's far from true.  Roger wasn't the throw-your-board, stressor type.  If I remember correctly, Roger used to give Ricky shit for yelling it.  Not only was he the originator, he was the glue to that whole scene in the beginning.  Once he left to work for Thrasher, the scene broke apart and factions grew (Ricky vs. Stevie).

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »
DGKalis, is it true that you would "Study" Jovontae's 3 flips on video in slo mo?
I jacked off to them then studied them. Best 360 flips hands down.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't know where you heard that back story from, but it's far from true.  Roger wasn't the throw-your-board, stressor type.  If I remember correctly, Roger used to give Ricky shit for yelling it.  Not only was he the originator, he was the glue to that whole scene in the beginning.  Once he left to work for Thrasher, the scene broke apart and factions grew (Ricky vs. Stevie).

From a Slap interview that Ricky did in the mid 90's (if I am remember right). Anyway thanks for setting the record straight. Since you are in the know, what ever happened to Roger?

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »
Manolo tae tae mixtape??

Is there enough footy?
Twin Perks

sonny sharrock

• Rep: 4
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »
Manolo tae tae mixtape??

Is there enough footy?

sk8nigga

• Rep: 6
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

From a Slap interview that Ricky did in the mid 90's (if I am remember right). Anyway thanks for setting the record straight. Since you are in the know, what ever happened to Roger?

Lives in NYC.  Works for some website.  Bone spurs in both ankles kinda did him in.  Wife and two kids.  He's chillin.

icybear187

• Rep: -48
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »
Tae couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.  He always had his hood breds there to provide the muscle.  Rick would fucc him up 9 ways from Sunday.  Tae is a good skater, but a sideways shitty person off the board.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
Most skaters I know are "sideways shitty" people. I know alot of assholes.
But I also know a lot of good folk on skateboards too.
I've heard people say things I wouldn't say myself and I don't think any less of them but I sure as hell feel better about myself
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.