Author Topic: DIY concrete skatepark help  (Read 6276 times)

Hank Ewbank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
DIY concrete skatepark help
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
hey pals. i am a part of a noble coalition to give my small, shitty town a skatepark. thing is, we don't have much money, so i thought a diy concrete skatepark would be a fun, possibly more cost-effective way to go. so, i got some questions:

- could an approx. 40x40 diy skatepark be more cost-effective than buying some lame wooden ramps (meaning, what does decent diy terrain like this Vans Skate x Spitfire - San Francisco cost to produce)?

- is there some concrete terrain resource anyone could point me to? our weather is rough, so wooden ramps seem like a bad idea.

- do you have any basic instructions on how to produce obstacles like this? details worth nothing?

- any other advice at all?

i appreciate any help, since as you can see, we're really not going on too much here besides a budget of about 2-4 thousand dollars. thank you for reading, and if there is a more appropriate place i can post this, please let me know.

ps: is it true jereme rogers just picked up sponsorship from pcp and shame?

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: DIY concrete skatepark help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
sift through here..... there's some good info. http://www.thrashermagazine.com/forum/board20.0/

there's also www.skatepark.org

study before you try. concrete isn't rocket science, but it's not exactly easy, either.

try a couple small projects before you go big. be prepared to fail. horribly.

don't give up.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
wow what the fuck that was the best fs 360 ive ever seen
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

SwiftFootedBird

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
a budget of about 2-4 thousand dollars.

that's a lot. me and a friend of mine have built lotsa ramps just stealin the crete and debris to fill. the thing, using debris/whatevs as filler should be: 1 bag of crete, 2 of sand and 3 of gravel for every 1m tall x 1m wide x 1m long QP.how much is that, 10 bucks? 15 maybe? shit lasts forever if well done. just practice with smaller shit as this dude said. after half a dozen of try-and-fail/win you should already be able to do it properly.

IMPORTANT: there's a pretty generalized mistake, that of designing too mellow transitions. Not bad one or two for begginners, but most of the thing should be like 1m tall for a 1.20m transition (so 20 cm before reaching vert) and so on.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:40:10 PM »
Has anyone here ever used sea water to mix concrete?

We've found a good spot but the only water source is the ocean.
Transporting supplies is already an issue so if possible we'd rather not have to carry in fresh water on top of all the other shit.

I googled some engineering forums etc. and it seems that sea water can be used as long as it's not a major structure and rebar or anything corrodible isn't used.

Just wondering if anyone here has some first hand experience with that.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker

Jares

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:55 AM »
I have a question: In constructing mini volcano/nipple type obstacles how many feet/meters apart should they be? The ones I am working on are about 2ft (one regular car tire as the base for each one) in diameter with a giant boob that is about 4.5 ft (one tractor tire as the base for this one) in diameter. I made it to where you can pump the two nips in a row and then the third is the boob but they seem really close.