Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301600 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1140 on: February 21, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »
I feel ya, Frenchie. I've finally made the old guy transition into skating transition for the same reason. My shoulder, neck & upper back are, I think, permanently fucked. Which means literally everytime I fall - ANY kind of fall, even just your basic flatground drop & roll - there's a good chance I'll be unable to move or walk for a few days. Which means I can't skate at ALL. Which sucks.:(

So, I ain't giving up skating yet by a long shot, but I am making a serious effort to not FALL, which means less risky shit & more low-impact transition stuff right now.

There are lots of days now where my skating kinda resembles the way people go jogging. I go park in downtown Escondido at like 8 in the morning & just push around for like an hour, doing nothing but pushing hard & doing little ollies. Still hoping if I can not fall for a few months straight my injuries might heal & I can get back to tricks. But something tells me the bell is tolling for me getting buck on this kid's toy.

But I'll push & do ollies until I'm fucking crippled.

I feel you too, but be warned that transition, even small, can be just as bad if not worse than flat, slamwise.

My knee is permanently squirrelly thanks to a kickturn gone wrong.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #1141 on: February 21, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
I was going to skate today for the first time this winter but I think 50 is too cold. Old and lazy :(

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1142 on: February 21, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
I just fall. I figure if I don't do enough falling, I won't remember what to do when it all goes wrong.

I'm currently injured but it's because I pulled something while I was doing a short sprint to jump on my board for speed and it was cold out. Muscle strain/tear in my calf.

I'm usually the warm up before and stretch after session guy, but I did some static stretches for my calves, quads, ITB, and back before to try to help get me loosened up, too. I still managed to get injured.

Now, I'm wearing compression sleeves on my calves and trying to stay active by working upper body and no impact cardio so I don't put on weight from the lack of time on my board.

Shit happens. I've rolled my ankle walking on uneven pavement. I'd rather get hurt skating if I have to get hurt at all.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #1143 on: February 21, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
i believe last time i posted in here i was expressing worry that i just could no longer skate due to age (40+). that might have been 2 years ago. anyway, things have changed for the better, and i credit that to better habits and mindset.

no matter how nice it is out, or how badly i want to skate, if i don't feel physically and mentally sharp that day, i don't do it. i always stretch beforehand and quite often during, and i really try to listen to my body and board (aka not getting ahead of myself).

if i'm skating tranny and it's above my shoulder, i'm not going to do more than a rock or 50, but i'll get down on smaller transition. knee high is the highest ledge or flat rail i'll skate. obviously, i absolutely don't jump down anything anymore.

if i feel like my warm up tricks are a bit of a challenge that day, i won't move past them, even if it gets boring.

the result of all of this is that i haven't been hurt beyond a shinner or something light like that this entire time. and when my body and board end up on the same page, i'll dig into my old bag of flippety flops and sometimes even get lucky enough to take out these prime 20 year olds in s.k.a.t.e.

i guess what i'm trying to get at is that even when you think you truly can't skate anymore, things can change. stay positive and vigilant, my fellow seniors!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:29:18 PM by Iceman »

coneklr

« Reply #1144 on: February 21, 2016, 07:06:27 PM »
no matter how nice it is out, or how badly i want to skate, if i don't feel physically and mentally sharp that day, i don't do it.

This was the best thing I started doing for myself a few years back.  Even if I'm 5 min into a session, if I feel it's an off day, I find a better way to spend the day.  And I now enjoy every day I get to roll around and make the most of the days I can't/I'm not feeling it

I got a few minutes in today between rain clouds

Nose Manny Between Rain Clouds

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1145 on: February 21, 2016, 07:26:06 PM »
Fuck yes!!! I started this thread a while back to get the old dudes who are bald, possibly fat,  and have grey beards together here a place to talk about shit that they like (not the shit that they talk about on a day to day basis hahaha), and it turned into a great community. I don't know why SLAP hasn't stickied it yet??? Anyhow, I have some videos of me and my old man crew skating if any of you would like to see them. I would never post them publicly here to be to torn apart by the infamous "SLAP message boards." And I'm a member of a few "Over 40" skateboarding groups on Facebook that you guys might like too....Let me know and I'll send you a link.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1146 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »
33 years young, started to finally understand 360 flips this winter, so stoked.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1147 on: February 21, 2016, 11:29:43 PM »
42....I've stuck a handful of them in 2016.....anthing is possible but I realized it's hard to become light footed....winter has been good just messing around in a parking garage.....

I don't think we should sticky it.....it's stayed on top on its own....

Rolled my ankle a couple times in the last couple weeks....couldn't handle new toe caps.....still trying to hold my own with the kids.....

In the outfit department.....

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1148 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:13 AM »
im 30 now, can i post in this thread yet? i just learned fs boardslides on a flat bar last week, pretty cool feeling. instead of skating once a month or something like a usual winter ive been skating 5 or so times a week, feel better then ever on my board. i fear getting old and not being able to skate like i want to so im trying to take it a lil more seriously this year, its been great. i dont want to be 40 and full of regret over not trying my hardest while my body still puts up with shit.

also im p sure jsoy owns/skates more toe caps than most 14-30 year olds :-*
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1149 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »
Expand Quote
no matter how nice it is out, or how badly i want to skate, if i don't feel physically and mentally sharp that day, i don't do it.
[close]

This was the best thing I started doing for myself a few years back.  Even if I'm 5 min into a session, if I feel it's an off day, I find a better way to spend the day.  And I now enjoy every day I get to roll around and make the most of the days I can't/I'm not feeling it

I got a few minutes in today between rain clouds

Nose Manny Between Rain Clouds

yeah, I should have done that when I was still skating heavily. Instead of being all, I HAVE TO SKATE, no matter what, even if I'm not feeling good. would have saved me quite a few useless slams.
nice nose wheelie btw. forever one of my fave tricks. I still bust out G-turns every once in a while and pretend I'm Scott Oster!

Also, I agree on the tranny slams.....they can be just as bad as street. Especially in big concrete parks, which is how I broke my wrist and ankle at the same time...

Final point about the snowboarding thing: kids are a factor too. For some reason, my oldest son (7) never took to skating. But it turns out he loves skiing, so I'm glad we can share those moments on the hill, it's awesome. Still hope he'll turn around about skating at some point though!!

and finally: yes, awesome little community here. Props for getting it rolling Buffalo! I love seeing little updates from everyone.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1150 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:32 AM »
When I first got back into skating after a decade hiatus 18 months ago I thought I was old. I'm 32 now and I'd honestly say I'm not that much older than the average Sydney skater! And I'm feeling better on the board than ever. I hope my body is still holding up in 10 years time and I still have the Stoke like the rest of you champions

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1151 on: February 27, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
Haven't been skating because of work, as usual..  excuses excuses.   same tricks I always do but still gonna post cuz I've been drinking.  And this is the old man thread so fuck it

Was trying fs 5-0s on pool coping for the 1st time today.  Think it's within reach

https://instagram.com/p/BCTVcchLOAa/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:40:34 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1152 on: February 27, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »
It's hard to really get the distance on pool coping but goddamn it feels good!

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1153 on: February 27, 2016, 07:56:19 PM »
I'm not old but I'm always vibing with the older dude's when I'm at the park. The kids are great too but they always just wanna play skate haha. Without a doubt they would whoop my ass, but I've never been into being competitive when I skate. It's all about fun. If an older dude shows up I can actually have a good conversation about skate history and the culture. The kids are really only aware of the surface of skating and that's about it. Not hating, just saying.

I can't do much. Just different bs and fs grinds on quarters, rocks, long manuals, powerslides, hippie jumps, slappies...but I've always been fine with what I'm able to do. I enjoy myself and try new stuff here and there but I've broken enough bones to realize it's fine to chill out. I don't care how good I am, I care about being in the moment and freeing my mind from all the bullshit in life. Respect to all of you who are still pushing.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #1154 on: February 27, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »
I'm not old but I'm always vibing with the older dude's when I'm at the park. The kids are great too but they always just wanna play skate haha. Without a doubt they would whoop my ass, but I've never been into being competitive when I skate. It's all about fun. If an older dude shows up I can actually have a good conversation about skate history and the culture. The kids are really only aware of the surface of skating and that's about it. Not hating, just saying.

I can't do much. Just different bs and fs grinds on quarters, rocks, long manuals, powerslides, hippie jumps, slappies...but I've always been fine with what I'm able to do. I enjoy myself and try new stuff here and there but I've broken enough bones to realize it's fine to chill out. I don't care how good I am, I care about being in the moment and freeing my mind from all the bullshit in life. Respect to all of you who are still pushing.

Nice post Main. Sounds like you're a bit wise beyond your years.

beginnerskater847

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1155 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
Hey all.

I'm 26
Male
Ultimate Goal: Be a great big vert ramp skater.
Torn Repaired ACL but am in prime condition now since my ACL tear. It came from basketball.

Skate park just opened literally 3 blocks away from my house. I was so excited to see it. Also on the way to work i spotted a very low key skatepark i can frequent if the one by my house gets busy or boring.

I am a complete beginner. Will be building my own deck for the first time this summer. I will be riding around easy going not forcing anything and taking skateboarding really slow. I can't afford to miss work because its paying all my bills. So im torn between life and skateboarding but ill never say i wont try a trick that really pulls me. such as a nice kickflip

Tricks im interested in learning.

So far im not looking to do manuals or anything that requires extreme balancing.
Im interested in tricks such as kickflips, heelflips, strawberry milkshaking, and more.

Thanks for reading
Live free or die trying

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1156 on: March 01, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
strawberry milkshaking

Have I missed something?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1157 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
strawberry milkshaking
[close]

Have I missed something?
All the cool kids are doing it

beginnerskater847

« Reply #1158 on: March 01, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
strawberry milkshaking
[close]

Have I missed something?
[close]

its from this youtuber aaron kyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_fPV4YREM
Live free or die trying

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1159 on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »
Ohhh, right, Get Fucked then...

Main

« Reply #1160 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
Ohhh, right, Get Fucked then...

LOL...

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #1161 on: March 02, 2016, 05:07:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
strawberry milkshaking
[close]

Have I missed something?
[close]
[close]

its from this youtuber aaron kyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_fPV4YREM
Oh, I thought it had some kind of sexual reference. Fuck that kook.

beginnerskater847

« Reply #1162 on: March 02, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »
i dont like him either. but hes popular on youtube. i can tell hes not the best teacher, i use him more as a reference for general skate knowledge.

i like ryan sheckler, nyjah houston, and p rod.
Live free or die trying

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1163 on: March 27, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »
first baby smith grind.  think I'm finally over the fear of going back in.   still need to lean back more.  look forward to trying on something slightly steeper

https://instagram.com/p/BDd3d26rOKS/

42.  old.  bald.  beer gut.   hemorrhoids.  low dangling ball sack.   skate once a week.   this is the only thread I should post in
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Main

« Reply #1164 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »
first baby smith grind.  think I'm finally over the fear of going back in.   still need to lean back more.  look forward to trying on something slightly steeper

https://instagram.com/p/BDd3d26rOKS/

42.  old.  bald.  beer gut.   hemorrhoids.  low dangling ball sack.   skate once a week.   this is the only thread I should post in

Looks good man! I actually want to learn those. Frontside grinds scare me, I frequently pussy out and throw it into a tail stall/slide if I'm going fast enough. Not really being able to see where I'm going back in is what gets me. I'll backside grind all fucking day and night though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1165 on: March 27, 2016, 11:01:08 PM »
That's a real smith grind.....sometimes I do a frontside grind to smith stop.....what you do is better....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1166 on: March 27, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
dope smith!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

coneklr

« Reply #1167 on: April 10, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »
Posted this in the you skating thread but thought I'd post it up here too since this thread is way too good to be lost 5 pages back

Rainy Day Edit

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #1168 on: April 10, 2016, 08:54:24 PM »
Really sick coneklr!
I watched Love Child last night, got stoked on some of the sw noseslides. Also filmed this while my daughter played on the playground.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BECSCCzofxu/?taken-by=stanley_spadowski
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

coneklr

« Reply #1169 on: April 10, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »
Really sick coneklr!
I watched Love Child last night, got stoked on some of the sw noseslides. Also filmed this while my daughter played on the playground.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BECSCCzofxu/?taken-by=stanley_spadowski

Thanks!  And that was a great sw noseslide all level and coming out proper!  Also Love Child is one of my favorite vids ever, I let a friend borrow my copy years ago and he taped over it by accident, was not cool haha