Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301260 times)

notcool

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1530 on: September 18, 2018, 05:00:49 PM »
I just turned 37. Skating since about 10 didn't skate on and off for years you know the story.  Didn't skate last 3 years at all. Started back up last 8 months ago almost everyday. So hard to learn again i lost all my tricks had to start from scratch.  Skateboarding is the hardest thing i've ever done in my life.  Here is some of the footage i've compiled over the last 6 months mainly parks- I wish i had more street available to me but where i live its dry of good street spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYrT4GBHQFg

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1531 on: November 25, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
41 and not quite done.
Still having fun, out getting some.
Here's my newest part, filmed over the last year.
Very heavy on ollies, 5050s & bank/wall rides. If you were to take all those out, it might be 2 minutes.
But what I lack in trick variation, I try to make up for with interesting spots. Hope it's enjoyed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CZmPM2kxZk

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1532 on: November 25, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »
I just turned 37. Skating since about 10 didn't skate on and off for years you know the story.  Didn't skate last 3 years at all. Started back up last 8 months ago almost everyday. So hard to learn again i lost all my tricks had to start from scratch.  Skateboarding is the hardest thing i've ever done in my life.  Here is some of the footage i've compiled over the last 6 months mainly parks- I wish i had more street available to me but where i live its dry of good street spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYrT4GBHQFg
I promise that there’s a TON of good shit to skate in Chico, you just gotta loosen your trucks, look harder and think differently. Theres a million creative little things in downtown if you actually push around. You cant skate Chico like its So-Cal. You’re not gonna find perfect ground, stairs, ledges and rails. There’s a bunch of weird concrete stuff in Paradise that survived the fire too.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1533 on: December 23, 2018, 07:56:48 AM »
41 and not quite done.
Very heavy on ollies, 5050s & bank/wall rides. If you were to take all those out, it might be 2 minutes.
But what I lack in trick variation, I try to make up for with interesting spots. Hope it's enjoyed.

Hell yeah Matt.  That was great.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1534 on: December 23, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
Yeah....respect for taking it to the streets....

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1535 on: December 23, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »

Set Up: 7.8 DGK Vaughn
            Independent 129 Titanium
            Spitfire Formula Four 54 mm 101 du Conical
            Bones Swiss
            Shake Junt grip and hardware (cuz fuk it Im hip LULZ )

Preferred Terrain: Street, DIY/Crusty Parks w/ some tranny

Favorite skaters: (All-time) Paulo Diaz, Antwuan Dixon, Steevie and Kallis, Gonz
Favorite skaters: (Current) Pedro Barros, Marquise Henry, Spanky and Hsu, Greco

Music:   Thee Oh Sees, The Notwist, Kanye and Kids See Ghosts, Amps For Christ,

Married: yes, recently after 7 years
Kids: She had one took him as my own when he was 2 and we have one on the way

Story:  Started Skating in 85 in Minnesota my friend got a Variflex from Target and I got a Vision from our local Roller Skating Rink it had Trackers and Sims wheels I think. I don't think we even knew that ollies were a thing we just pushed around and rode off of curbs. A year or two later I was up in the Mountains of Washington and was "The weird Kid". My dad made me shave off my mohawk but I still wore flannels, punk shirts, and combat boots. This other weird kid asked me if I skated and I said yes that day after school I had a hand me down Dog Town and we were power sliding huge winding hills. There was a Vision Psycho Skate Video commercial on TV somehow one of us got the Video for Christmas or a birthday or some shit. We watched it relentlessly and whenever our parents would go to a bigger town we would tag a long and look for other skaters there would be make shift parks in parking lots and we would make shitty ramps it was great. We had a rich friend who built a real half pipe, we had another friend who could kickflip. By the time I got back to Minnesota my cousins were competing in skate jams and winning. Vert and shaped boards died and I got into playing music more and fell off from skating but always loved it and tried to keep up with what was going on. Fast forward 30 odd years, I had traveled the world fucked and been fucked over by everyone ran out of drugs and booze and fame and all that was left was skateboarding. I cleaned up got my shit together went to my local and said hook me up ,got the setup and some Vans Authentic's, that was 3 1/2 years ago. Now I'm clean from the hard stuff, moved to a small town, married, have a kid on the way, paying a mortgage, building a skate-shop and park in my basement. Jesus saved my soul but skateboarding was the earthly counterpart that saved my life.
" I did not say this I am not here"

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1536 on: December 23, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
41 and not quite done.
Respect dude. Like all the cool spots.  You definitely still bangin in your 40s

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1537 on: December 25, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
My dad picked me up from the airport this morning, I came home and gave my cat I've had since I was 14 a big hug (I'm 31 now, is that old enough?), ate a bowl of homemade soup, then drove downtown to shovel/broom out a patch of flatground at the museum. After moving from Syracuse, NY to LA, I no longer have much solitude, nor can I slow down and really think about what I'm doing.

I started skating there at the Everson Museum of Art around 2001, and everything felt so good and familiar to return. I dream about that place more than any other location. Alone, skating in the low 30s, I relearned every flatground trick I had in the same method I'd always used to practice. I think of it as Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, going through the button combinations in my head with all 4 ollies, 180s, 360s, kickflips (+FS/BS), heelflips (+FS/BS), shove its, and so on. Until I got too cold, I was just going back and forth in the little dry patch doing the same thing I've been doing for nearly 20 years. Shit, I just did a rough estimate, [(Reg+Sw+No+Fak) x (# of different flat tricks)] and did ~92 +/- 8. As somebody who is very familiar with depression, I can actually say I'm happy with myself for all of this.

I dread the day I can no longer ollie up the tall planter (it's maybe two inches taller than the courthourse stage). Switch ollies are a battle now and I don't see myself being able to do do that for much longer. What about the last nollie back heel I ever do? The last kickflip I ever do? Or even the last time I even ride?

I came home, ate family dinner, and watched BBC Planet Earth with my mom. Now, I'm in the same bedroom I had growing up with my TV/VHS combo covered in skate stickers and a stash of old boards in the corner. I feel so fortunate and appreciative for having the simple things I care about today and wanted to share, and yes, I told my friends I love them today.

Also another Tired video came out today and I don't care if this is posted in another thread. It's relevant and I don't want to look it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLjwoDMfMF0

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1538 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:51 AM »
well I'm sorry to say I am now officially at the point my knees have trouble with everyday life.
Long story short: I was on holiday in Martinique (awesome place, my 3rd time there) and I just bumped my leg in the trashcan while buying food. That was enough for my damaged meniscus (it's had surgery twice already) to snap in my right knee. Now it's been 10 days, I'm back home, and I still can't walk properly.
Needless to say the prospect of any real skating in the future seems far-fetched. Bummer but I expected that! Now I just wish my knee to go back to normal so I can leave the house again!!

Anyways, sorry to start the year with some not too positive shit, but this seemed to me like the best place to vent a bit.... Best wishes to all the old heads around here!

some pics to make this post less dreary

free-diving with turtles is always a highlight of my stay!

everytime I go to Martinique I start thinking of ways to move there....it's a French island in the Caribean....lovely people, easy and safe to travel to with our kids and just epic tropical paradise basically. Also it's not segregated into tourist resorts/ghettos for everybody else like some other islands in the region!

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1539 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
41 and not quite done.

Wow. I loved that video, a lot of good stuff in there.

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #1540 on: March 17, 2019, 07:40:44 AM »
October of last year I decided I wanted to try to film 45 tricks for my 45th birthday. This is the result. It’s not a strict count, a lot of the ollies and 5050s probably shouldn’t be considered separate tricks, but who really cares. Most of the tricks are pretty basic but I’m still proud of this because some were a real battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTMUXH0BBY

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1541 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
October of last year I decided I wanted to try to film 45 tricks for my 45th birthday. This is the result. It’s not a strict count, a lot of the ollies and 5050s probably shouldn’t be considered separate tricks, but who really cares. Most of the tricks are pretty basic but I’m still proud of this because some were a real battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTMUXH0BBY

I’m about to turn 31 next week and debating if I wanna attempt 31 respectable tricks. Good shit tho, hopefully my knees allow skateboarding at 45. shoutout owls head park, place sucks but it’s the closest park to me.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1542 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »
well I'm sorry to say I am now officially at the point my knees have trouble with everyday life.
Long story short: I was on holiday in Martinique (awesome place, my 3rd time there) and I just bumped my leg in the trashcan while buying food. That was enough for my damaged meniscus (it's had surgery twice already) to snap in my right knee. Now it's been 10 days, I'm back home, and I still can't walk properly.
Needless to say the prospect of any real skating in the future seems far-fetched. Bummer but I expected that! Now I just wish my knee to go back to normal so I can leave the house again!!

Anyways, sorry to start the year with some not too positive shit, but this seemed to me like the best place to vent a bit.... Best wishes to all the old heads around here!

some pics to make this post less dreary

free-diving with turtles is always a highlight of my stay!

everytime I go to Martinique I start thinking of ways to move there....it's a French island in the Caribean....lovely people, easy and safe to travel to with our kids and just epic tropical paradise basically. Also it's not segregated into tourist resorts/ghettos for everybody else like some other islands in the region!

I feel for you, mate. Not to get too corny but like Phelps said, we skate for those that can't. Also, swimming with turtles is the best.
Bon Chance!

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1543 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »

set-up: Girl Kodak Rick McCrank, Mini Logo trucks, Bones Miller SPF's & Reds

Favourite skaters BITD: Blender, Danforth, Davie Phillips, Mike V, Gonz
Favourite skaters now: Gravette, Pedro Delfino, Milton Martinez, Chris Russel
Music from the B's on my ITUNES  Bad Brains, Barrington Levy, Beefeater, Big Boi, Black Moon, Black Uhuru, Bob Marley, Booker T and The MG's, Burning Spear

Started skating in '85 - my brother and his pal got boards, me and my mates followed suit.....back then it was bombing hills, ollies & boneless ones.  We would occasionally jump into someones moms car and scare ourselves silly attempting to skate the terrifying transitions at Livi Skate Park.  A couple of years later we were old enough to go the pub and most of my mates chucked it.  I've skated on and off ever since depending on whether I've had folk to skate with.  In my student years me and my mate Steve street skated a bit and then diverted into snow boarding and surfing.  After uni I always had a board lying around - punk rock shows, travelling and a bit of skating - back then I was hanging out with the local BMX dudes, who seemed much friendlier than the local mid 90's skaters. Then I got into bikes, but then in my 30's I was travelling to AZ every few years to clown around and skate and drink beer with my American chums, got to skate a few pools and a few parks before settling into middle age and Monday night skates with a bunch of other lads in their 40's.  So many parks around here, but so little time now that I am a parent.  But thats ok, so long as you can still push to the shops, ollie up a kerb and drop in at the local park without killing, or embarrassing yourself, its all good. And you can kid yourself you know whats relevant by watching skate vids on youtube and thrasher....and occasionally dropping by slap magazine

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1544 on: March 17, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
41 and not quite done.

This was rad, just felt fun and gave me that viewers enjoyment haha some really cool spots too

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1545 on: March 18, 2019, 06:40:07 AM »
Average age in the van today was 42.8. Four parks total. Skated all day. Tour of janky parks. First time hitting this absolute piece of crud. Stupidly steep, kinked, lumpy, skin eating trannies, where just hitting the lip felt like an achievement...

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1546 on: March 18, 2019, 11:20:13 AM »
Expand Quote
41 and not quite done.
[close]

This was rad, just felt fun and gave me that viewers enjoyment haha some really cool spots too

I agree. Well done. Blue sock blue wall. Hippie jump Rail line. Switch 50 on the over pass thing.
Into the ditch.  Good shit.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1547 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:16 AM »
-> Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum
that's a nice shot man!
and thanks for the kind words.....as for me I got some snowboarding in since last time so I should be able to roll around come spring. Funny how lately I struggle with basic shit like walking up and down steps but I can still ride around....Knees are tricky mfers!

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1548 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:54 AM »
Nice stuff guys. Enjoyed your edit Matt, I gotta get out there and wallride something!!

Got in a few powder days this past winter too OldieButFrenchie. Does a body good and nice way to enjoy the winter. Love that crisp winter air.

Here’s my Summer 2018 Tripod Edit – 41 at time of filming.

Never filmed much when I was “younger” – didn’t have easy access to a camera or filmer. Really wish I made more of an effort to do so back then, so I’m trying to make up for lost time now I guess. IPhone and wifey’s tripod have saved the day. Gonna try and film some lines this summer and have allot of fun doing so. Name of the game. 

The guy at the end is convinced I’m the singer from Bad Religion.

Take care homies.

https://vimeo.com/326543105

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1549 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
Nice stuff guys. Enjoyed your edit Matt, I gotta get out there and wallride something!!

Got in a few powder days this past winter too OldieButFrenchie. Does a body good and nice way to enjoy the winter. Love that crisp winter air.

Never filmed much when I was “younger” – didn’t have easy access to a camera or filmer. Really wish I made more of an effort to do so back then, so I’m trying to make up for lost time now I guess. IPhone and wifey’s tripod have saved the day. Gonna try and film some lines this summer and have allot of fun doing so. Name of the game. 

Take care homies.

nice backside tailslide! when I saw you doing those first few backside 50-50s, I could feel a backside tailslide coming on for some reason. your ledge game is looking good.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1550 on: March 31, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

Take care homies.

[/quote
That back tail was some sweet action.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1269
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1551 on: April 01, 2019, 12:16:06 AM »
The guy at the end is a wearer of True Religion.

That's a cool spot and a nice edit. Look forward to seeing the lines.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1552 on: April 05, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
Thank you for the kind words. My favorite part of the vid is the Uncle Rico bit.

Very lucky indeed to have this spot. Skateboarding was legalized/permitted there a few years back, and it’s been great ever since. I sure paid my share of fines from this spot back in the day. Cracks in the ledges were all fixed up so they’re smooth as butter now. Quite often when I show up to skate, parks empty, so I get it all to myself.

Ill put the Go Pro to work this summer and try to film a few lines. Ill be that guy filming with the Go Pro. ;)

Have a good weekend guys.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #1553 on: April 05, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »

Take care homies.

Youre sure youre not?
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
« Reply #1554 on: April 05, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
41 and not quite done.
[close]

[close]

I agree. Well done. Blue sock blue wall. Hippie jump Rail line. Switch 50 on the over pass thing.
Into the ditch.  Good shit.

I'm 30 now and cannot imaging doing that kickflip into the ditch at 41. We live in the same area - where's that overpass?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1555 on: April 05, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
Thanks dudes.
Nice edit sbmfj. Fs crook and bs tail were on point. That spot looks really good.
Snowboarding's better than no boarding, oldfrenchie. Hope your body cooperates.
Fakie nollie, the overpass bank is in national city, where 18th st goes under the 5. Its tough dealing with the half a push runway and freeway traffic zooming right by and dropping off the curb, but besides that, it's not too bad. The bank isn't too steep. Brian gille's ss tre into it in the new sk858 vid rules.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1556 on: April 10, 2019, 01:53:03 AM »
Thanks dudes.
Nice edit sbmfj. Fs crook and bs tail were on point. That spot looks really good.
Snowboarding's better than no boarding, oldfrenchie. Hope your body cooperates.
Fakie nollie, the overpass bank is in national city, where 18th st goes under the 5. Its tough dealing with the half a push runway and freeway traffic zooming right by and dropping off the curb, but besides that, it's not too bad. The bank isn't too steep. Brian gille's ss tre into it in the new sk858 vid rules.

yup that's how I see it too! It's a good way to get the highs of skating with a lot less risk and work....
actually I'm off to the Alps with an old skating buddy tomorrow  :D
for those of you who don't understand snowboarding's appeal.....well shit, just watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_Nu4AHM6Q

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1557 on: April 10, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hhWQjXZzdOo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A brief glance director

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #1558 on: May 13, 2019, 08:32:42 AM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #1559 on: May 13, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
41 and not quite done.
[close]

I'm glad to write that I enjoyed every second of that.
I would have left for last trick that 50-50 but that's just me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.