Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301246 times)

gearingupforgettingdown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -149
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #780 on: October 18, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »

i have to admit, i don't envy my family members or friends with kids.   i like kids.  i like my nephews.  it's nice to see them for a bit and then when the tantrums and drama starts i can say "see ya later".   my sister and brother in law spend every free moment of their lives going from soccer games to baseball games to 'get togethers' with other parents with kids...    when my sister sees me going on spur of the moment trips and vacations she says she is jealous and can't imagine what it would be like to just go away.  then again, obviously i'm missing out on the whole child bond thing / family etc..  maybe later in life i'll wish i had kids to take care of me.

Perfect explanation.

This is exactly what's been happening to me lately, I've been catching up with my friends a lot who have two little girls. The meltdowns are fucking terrible, I want to shoot myself, I have no idea how people deal.

shark tits

« Reply #781 on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:37 PM »
At 35, it still feels good to learn new tricks.
http://instagram.com/p/uTZmWgof-8/?modal=true
that was dope stanley. i've had the idea to try flips outta fakie grinds for a while, i just always space it when i'm out.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #782 on: October 19, 2014, 06:01:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that was dope stanley. i've had the idea to try flips outta fakie grinds for a while, i just always space it when i'm out.
Thanks
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #783 on: October 19, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Haven't skated in like two weeks or more. Been house hunting and it is absorbing pretty much all of my free time/energy. Now I found a place I like and am in the offer stage and it is stressful as fuck. Skating relieves stress, But I've been so exhausted (physically and psychologically) by the whole search along with work and another child on the way that I can't seem to get my ass out the door into the cold night at day's end for a session.

Chalk this up as a strike "against" adulthood I suppose.

Phillyflared

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #784 on: October 19, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »
Almost 41. Married with a son and a dog.
From Philly.
LB resident for the last 12+ years.
Skate during lunch and at least once on the weekend at Cherry.
Hurt my leg a few weeks ago , hence posting on Slap.
Wish I would skate more street but time constraints has me in the parks. Don't want to deal with cops at this point in my life at all.
Still skate the same size boards as I did when I was in my early to mid 20's, 7.75.

m477

• Rep: 3
« Reply #785 on: October 19, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Probably a stupid comparison but I look at having kids like this: It's kinda like skating. It can be hard, painful and frustrating but then in the blink of an eye it's the most amazing, fulfilling and rewarding feeling you can have. As a parent, sure there are things I miss but I'd be missing a lot more if I wasn't a dad.

I would never recommend anyone to have kids. Just like with skating, there has to be a passion..  Don't do it because your family nags you. Don't do it because it's the 'normal' thing to do. Only have kids if it's something you truly want to do.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #786 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:51 AM »
Probably a stupid comparison but I look at having kids like this: It's kinda like skating. It can be hard, painful and frustrating but then in the blink of an eye it's the most amazing, fulfilling and rewarding feeling you can have. As a parent, sure there are things I miss but I'd be missing a lot more if I wasn't a dad.

I would never recommend anyone to have kids. Just like with skating, there has to be a passion..  Don't do it because your family nags you. Don't do it because it's the 'normal' thing to do. Only have kids if it's something you truly want to do.

I thought that was actually a pretty accurate comparison. both points you made are spot on!

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #787 on: October 20, 2014, 07:02:29 AM »
Haven't skated in like two weeks or more. Been house hunting and it is absorbing pretty much all of my free time/energy. Now I found a place I like and am in the offer stage and it is stressful as fuck. Skating relieves stress, But I've been so exhausted (physically and psychologically) by the whole search along with work and another child on the way that I can't seem to get my ass out the door into the cold night at day's end for a session.

Chalk this up as a strike "against" adulthood I suppose.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
hardly art, hardly starving

MaS

• Rep: -7
« Reply #788 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »

Hell yeah super legit!! that was fresh.

I have kids. Decent job, etc.. wife looks pretty damn good.  I'm not bummed on it, actually the opposite.  It's not automatic like it is for women.  Learning to be a father is hard shit.  make plenty of mistakes and learn from them like everything else in life.  Life is good and now would have a difficult time not having a family. 

If you don't want kids, thats cool too.  it's not for everyone and can be stressful as hell.  I started my family at 31.  kind of late.  I could not imagine being 21 trying to deal with it.  I would have blown my head off.  Props to those dudes that do that and survive. 

If i don't skate its because I'm not motivated.  I also have never really got involved with the scene here in Az, its pretty crowded with "cool guys".  Lately I've been putting heavy miles on the bike and skate once a week.  I work Monday-Friday but will stop at a skatepark here and there.  I wear a suit so I generally will need a change of clothes when I head out. This forum as silly as it sounds is motivational, seeing other dudes that still have a real passion for the sport.  I go though phases when I will skate bunch but I usually end up hurt and have to sit out for a couple months

Because of work and stuff it does allow me to do a lot of stuff with my family.  We camp a lot.  travel etc.. which cool because then I get to skate something new.  I believe I'm blessed in that regard.  I love skateboarding. Messing around on these forums etc.  look to see how the new crowd thinks and stuff.  I also like pushing switch mongo but can actually skate switch pretty well and fast, not like a bitch.  nothing worse than watching someone struggle to push switch regular.

I think everything in life can be related to skating even breeding 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #789 on: October 20, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
You came to the wrong place if you don't like switch mongo or pushing slow.....

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #790 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words fellow old dudes.
I took 2 weeks off from skating to mourn the loss of my friend.
Then went out last weekend and was reminded why this is the best thing in the world.
Isn't skating the best when you've been off it for a while?
I'm sure Marc wouldn't want me to stop on his account.
Knowing that one slam could end your life just drives home the fact that it is a miracle any of us are even alive and breathing. No point in living in fear. We're all gonna die one day.
Thought this was pretty cool. The only painted part at Washington St. Prior to this, it was a memorial for Jay Adams.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: October 21, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
R.I.P.....

My helmet routine makes no real sense but if I skate a coping bowl....helmet....but if I skate street...none....plus i try to be super careful about
collisions now....when in doubt....I don't drop in....skating street is safer than a bowl when it comes to head injuries...

It's stupid...but I plan on wearing one at some point...I wear one biking and snowboarding....not sure when though....TA wears one for Christ sakes....Im just waiting for a warning sign....which I admit is careless....

We lost one of our OG's a few years back....in our area there are lots of 40 year olds...more 30's...this guy was in his 50's and not some Johnny come lately midlife crisis guys....he skated all the way through....

One of the things I'm starting to see more of now with older skaters and i think it's disproportionate to the rest of the population....suicides and OD's....I've seen like 4 guys go in the last month....

Do you think skaters have a lower life expectancy than the rest of the population? My guess would be yes.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: October 21, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
vibes for your buddy fellas, that is some tough stuff. as a fellow 39 yo who still goes after it HARD sans helmet, this is particularly hard to hear.?  not that it couldn't happen to any 16 yo either, the difference now is I have kids, wife. etc. and obviously need to be here for them. maybe time to reevaluate...

it probably wont mean much at the moment and I realize its quite obvious however.... your buddy died SKATEBOARDING, doing something he presumably loved and was passionate about.

not the worst way to check out imo? 

Yes, it is poetic in a way. But I would have preferred to have him try the mega ramp at age 80 and go out that way. Not at 39.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #793 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Been off it for a few months now, been in transition. Skatewise, East Coast Fall weather gets old to me real quick these days. Nice to chill in, not so good for these old joints to skate in. Heading to a se asia in two weeks, going to cruise in a t shirt in December, pretty stoked.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #794 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
Someone with some photoshop skills should do this right. Maybe add a little old man with a grey beard on a board.

MaS

• Rep: -7
« Reply #795 on: October 28, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
If someone will do that and send me ai file I can make some shirts.

N.L.

« Reply #796 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
Condolences to friends of Shokus.

I hung up on an oververt lip a  couple of years back at age 37 and dropped eight foot onto my head on the flatbottom (no helmet).  I quit skateboarding that very moment while I was stumbling around bleeding profusely from my head trying to find my phone and car keys...

Of course I didn't quit but it scared the shit out of me for a few.

39 now, still going, losing some tricks, gaining others. Body feels good but mostly skate tranny and parks. Def miss the streets and try to get out there every once in awhile. I think aging with skateboarding can be done gracefully, if you don't try to force what doesn't come natural. In some ways I skate better than I did at 19 or 29....

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: October 28, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Shockus Passed away from skating, OB park the one where he had his tricks in Washed Up Warriors. Marc Was one of the best people and didn't deserve it, he always had a smile on his face and would probably be the next person running SLAP or some Really cool thing with Thrasher of he didn't want to manage C1RCA anymore. I miss him more and would do anything to shred with him and talk to him about skating, cameras and just life.
[close]

Sorry, I knew that. Question was for j..soy about his 50 year old friend he mentioned.

Missed this one...the 50 yr old OG was Don Hartley aka Carver Don....he died while skating....

shark tits

« Reply #798 on: October 28, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
filmed a backside tailslide tonight at 37. did one when i was maybe 31 but the last 6 wks i've landed maybe a few hundred [out of a few thousand attempts]. for me it's easier, i never got 'good' so i can slow and steady improve forever. if i found the right 10 i'd prolly ollie it, grim city did one a few yrs back and he's older than i am.

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #799 on: October 29, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about the death of any skateboarder, especially when it's accident related. Always seems so pointless, like those sorts of things always happen to the best people. RIP

As far as kids and the whole family life thing goes, you just have to make time for you. It's hard for sure and you definitely need an understanding partner. I have a 3 year old son, between potty training, running after him, cleaning up countless messes, feeding and entertaining him it's hectic. But it's rewarding and 99 percent of the time he just puts a smile on my face. Getting to be a part of someone growing up, seeing your ideas, ethics and beliefs rub off in a positive way on a child is pretty amazing. It's certainly not for everyone, but I'm stoked on being a part of a family and am looking forward to adding another rugrat or two down the road. I'll be 38 this December, never really wanted kids until the last few years, now I'm excited about it.

The best part is when he wants to ride his bike-he has one of those little balance bikes-and he tells me to get my skateboard and go with him. It's so fun to be cruising down a hill with him smiling the whole way. It's also scary as shit trying to watch out for cars and crap because even though I've been teaching him to be aware of his surroundings and that cars hurt-he's three and doesn't really pay attention. On the plus side, I take him to bike trails in town and skate with him and no one really says shit to me about skating the trail, same thing when I take him to a park or something, I can get a few licks in on some benches or ledges and no one really pays attention cause it's like I'm just skating around with my son. Win-win.

How often do I get to skate? Besides just pushing around with the kiddo-I get out at lunch during work at least 2-3 times a week, then maybe early Sunday morning most weeks. I try to get out at least one evening after work too but that can be difficult and now that the weather is cooling off it's even harder. I recently moved from the midwest to the southwest though-have to say the  weather here for October is a hell of a lot nicer than it was back in Missouri.

My joints are stiff and sore, I feel like I was beaten with a bat the night before when I get up after skating the previous day. I eat 500-1000 mg ibuprofen every day and I can't eat anything with sugar or that's high in carbs cause I'll just get fatter overnight. I work, take care of a family, pay my bills and try to be a decent human being, all while squeezing in a little skating when I can. I'm more content with life right now than I've ever been. I don't think there's only one way to live your life, interesting to read how many of us there are out there. I don't advertise that I skate, realizing there's quite a few guys out there like me, just doing there thing and hitting the streets or parks when they get the chance between raising a family and work. Cheers to you all.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #800 on: October 29, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Good post^^

And thanks Art!

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #801 on: October 29, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »

Missed this one...the 50 yr old OG was Don Hartley aka Carver Don....he died while skating....

Understood..skating. Was he just cruising, ollieing a 20 stair, skating a big bowl without a helmet? How did it actually happen.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #802 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »
Everything is dangerous...we're all going to do die...might as well have fun doing whatever makes you happy. 

shark tits

« Reply #803 on: October 29, 2014, 11:45:21 PM »
Everything is dangerous...we're all going to do die...might as well have fun doing whatever makes you happy. 
especially chaos. chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #804 on: October 30, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
these Magenta vids are getting me way hyped lately!

Magenta's OLD WOOPS NEW GROOVE

from to 25 to 39, I was basically a tranny-only dude as my knees couldn't handle street anymore....but breaking my leg last year has pretty much soured me on concrete parks.  I don't even wanna fuck with that shit anymore. So I think the next phase for my decrepit self is going to be strictly downhill skating, powerslides, ollies....and that's pretty much it. I just wanna get the feeling of cruising around town, with a minimum risk of injury (which is close to impossible I know, but I can't give up skating entirely)

Nacnud

• Rep: 9
« Reply #805 on: October 30, 2014, 01:32:44 AM »

from to 25 to 39, I was basically a tranny-only dude as my knees couldn't handle street anymore....but breaking my leg last year has pretty much soured me on concrete parks.  I don't even wanna fuck with that shit anymore. So I think the next phase for my decrepit self is going to be strictly downhill skating, powerslides, ollies....and that's pretty much it. I just wanna get the feeling of cruising around town, with a minimum risk of injury (which is close to impossible I know, but I can't give up skating entirely)

That sucks about your knees and leg. I would be content with slappies, wallies, wall rides and hill bombs until rigamortis sets in. I live in a flat city so hill bombs wont be happening for the moment. That Magenta vid is great. Love how close the filmer gets to the action.
" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2014, 02:10:38 AM »
Expand Quote

from to 25 to 39, I was basically a tranny-only dude as my knees couldn't handle street anymore....but breaking my leg last year has pretty much soured me on concrete parks.  I don't even wanna fuck with that shit anymore. So I think the next phase for my decrepit self is going to be strictly downhill skating, powerslides, ollies....and that's pretty much it. I just wanna get the feeling of cruising around town, with a minimum risk of injury (which is close to impossible I know, but I can't give up skating entirely)
[close]

That sucks about your knees and leg. I would be content with slappies, wallies, wall rides and hill bombs until rigamortis sets in. I live in a flat city so hill bombs wont be happening for the moment. That Magenta vid is great. Love how close the filmer gets to the action.

well I'm not complaining.... I had my share of injuries, but that's the burden of any aging skater I guess, except maybe the super-gifted ones. at least I can still cruise around! and I live in Brussels now, which has pretty cool hills. only problem is the pavement is pretty shitty and I miss Paris in that respect, but I'll just buy some 62 mm wheels or something when I'm all healed up!
(oh and I agree: the Magenta filmer is plain awesome)

kenneth

• Rep: -33
« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »
Well, if you happen to be in Sweden december 6th, here is your time to shine!

http://www.bryggeriet.org/2014/10/gold-school-street-comp-612/
I'd rather watch Bill Danforth push...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #808 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

It's true but I think it's healthy to look at....when will it end?  How will it end?

Because it will end.....

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
See if you can wrap your old brains around this one.
The old are only getting older. Is there an official age to get in this old dude skater club? I'm thinking it's 30. Now think about this. You could have someone who is 30 years old and has been skating for 20 years. And they would never have ridden anything but "popsicle" shapes. Kinda trippy. Maybe it's time to redefine what it means to be old. Like you have to be able to answer the question "where were you when Video Days came out". As much as it sucks getting old and decrepit; I'm still very glad that I was around to witness the insane progression during the late 80's / early 90s. Whether it be board shapes, tricks, fashion, whatever.
Here's another one. Back in the day, contests only had one group: the pros. Then when dudes like Cab got older and still wanted to compete, they made a veterans division. Nowadays there are 3 divisions: pros, masters, legends. If these old guys keep going; a fourth division is going to have to be made.
Just some thoughts.