Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301647 times)

amplituden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • I like you.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »
I am 39, I love skateboarding and have since I was 11 years old when I saw "Back to the Future".

I have an old Plan B deck that looks like a Blue Bandana that I bought in approximately 1998 with Indies and some 56 Blind Wheels.

I skate around a bit to get from point A to point B but which is enough gnar for me right now.

cletus the slack jawed yokel

• Rep: 7
  • big money big cars!
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You know, when you start getting all gross. Like 26 or something.
[close]

Shit i am 26. Is it all downhill from here?
[close]
i?m 25 and i suck already #thankyouskateboarding
i'm also 26, and this has been a total year of filth for me

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
did 50 kickflips on my 50th birthday last week

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »
I'm mostly a lurker but I'll play

8.38 politic
56 bones spf
indys
reds
whatever the fuck griptape came with it
parks (like more tranny than ledges)
old punk rock and related sub-genres
separated
no kids
a/v guy at a law school
favorites are really just local ripper kids, everyone is so good these days

I quit for @ 20 years so my skill level is ollies and grinds and rnrs and its looking to stay that way.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »
This thread smells funny.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
What is this, a personals thread?  I thought the point was old dude stuff.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:28 AM »
Recently my gout has been playing up and I piss myself daily.

Are you my son?

Don't leave me here.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
this is starting to sound like a craigslist personals ad.

8.25 Antihero
wide Indys
54mm spitfires
I don't have any idea what bearings I'm skating right now.

married for 17 years-my balls apparently don't work because we have no kids.

I'll skate anything but enjoy long slappy sessions on warm summer nights, a few beers and a nice ledge or a perfect 4 foot mini
and some punk rock or metal.

I'm a news director at a AAA FM Rock station and AM talk station in Missouri.  Winters and cold weather hurt
my broken old bones.

skating since 1989

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
I hate twinks so this thread is gold for me.

On a serious note, I'm 39. Been skating for what feels like forever, but really started pursuing it around the age of 11 or 12. I've always been pretty uncoordinated so my skill level peaked during the pressure-flip/half-flip-to-casper era. Ouch. I love skateboarding with all my cold, dead heart.

Right now I've got some Girl Rick Howard cruiser shape with huge Zip Zinger wheels and Indy somethingorothers. My skill level has settled down to ollies, a few nollie backside 180's and some boardslides here and there. Love to ride around though. More comfortable pushing around on a skateboard than I am walking. Hope I never get to a point in my life where it's "time to put the skateboard away".

I never really had any favorite skaters because I thought they were all pretty fucking amazing, but I'd have to say my pal Ben Woosley was the best skater I was ever friends with. He's tearing it up still...fucker. Shiloh Greathouse was also pretty up there for me. Ray Barbee, too.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »
GAY's down for the dark meat.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

geezer

• Rep: 36
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
Given my username, I guess I'm obligated to reply...
Just turned 41

AWS 8.375 (Jake Johnson Acid Reign)
Indy 149
Iron Horse 53s a friend gave me (usually SPFs though)
Bones Swiss
griptape

Married for 22 years
2 kids, 20 and 15
My 20 year old son skates, 15 yr old daughter doesn't.  He's away at college, not too far, but I miss skating with him.
I mostly hit skateparks so I can meet up with my other old friends, and my knees and ankles can't really take street skating any more.
Sometimes I learn new tricks, but not often.  Sometimes I relearn old tricks

Vasectomy advice - do it.  It's pretty easy, then you don't ever have to worry about birth control. 
Sex drive advice?  Have a hot-ass wife that turns you on.  Get drunk with her whenever you can.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »

Yeah he is

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »

I watch "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" every day before I go out skating.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »
"What's the young/old cutoff?"
I would say 30 probably, but really there is no "cutoff". If you feel disenchanted with this place and have something to contribute that might resonate a little better with this crowd, then go for it.

"this is starting to sound like a craigslist personals ad."
"What is this, a personals thread?  I thought the point was old dude stuff"
Then talk about "old dude stuff." I mean, if you guys want to use it for other for other purposes by all means, have fun. I won't judge you...But like I said, I'm spoken for and come here because I love skateboarding.

**ttching Come on man...2 pages in and you're posting cock gifs? The point of this thread was that it be different than most of the others here. I'm sure that GAY! has an ample supply of dicks to look at, or can find them if need be.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
I was going to ask if I could join. I am 28 but have the knees of a 50 year old.

dillanharp

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
Ok rad, I'm 31.

Here's something.

I started skating in '93, riding Ventures because indys were too fucking heavy and it seemed like all the SF dudes were on Venture.  Being from northern california, that shit mattered. Anyway, 20 years later I'm still riding Ventures.  I tried a set of 139's for a while but now they're just collecting dust in my skate box.

Married, just had a kid, full time student getting it done later. Would like to skate more than I do, but that's life.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:57:47 AM by Nallid »

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
I'm pushing 40, but enough of the dating bio thing... let's discuss "old guy stuff".

I guess you could say I'm going through a skateboarding crisis. Been skateboarding for so long and was semi decent, but nowadays when I step on a board I feel like I'm going to fall over sideways ala Koston as Chaplin in Mouse. It's quite sobering to go from taking pros out in S.K.A.T.E. to struggling to 50-50 a ledge (some days). I don't know what happened these last few years, but not being able to just roll around and consistently do even basic tricks puts a serious damper on the fun level. The ratio of bummer skate days to semi-ok ones is far too great. I feel conflicted. If I generally don't have fun skating does that mean it's "time to put the skateboard away"? If so, can I? It's my true passion in life. I can't see myself ever being able to get it out of my mind. The alternative seems worse: being a skateboarding fan while not doing it. Just like every other fat old dude cheering for their favorite sports team. I need a therapist.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:39:55 AM by Iceman »

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »
**ttching Come on man...2 pages in and you're posting cock gifs? The point of this thread was that it be different than most of the others here. I'm sure that GAY! has an ample supply of dicks to look at, or can find them if need be.

I'll post cock gifs for GAY! any damn time I want, but, if it makes you feel better...

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
I'm pushing 40, but enough of the dating bio thing... let's discuss "old guy stuff".

I guess you could say I'm going through a skateboarding crisis. Been skateboarding for so long and was semi decent, but nowadays when I step on a board I feel like I'm going to fall over sideways ala Koston as Chaplin in Mouse. It's quite sobering to go from taking pros out in S.K.A.T.E. to struggling to 50-50 a ledge (some days). I don't know what happened these last few years, but not being able to just roll around and consistently do even basic tricks puts a serious damper on the fun level. The ratio of bummer skate days to semi-ok ones is far too great. I feel conflicted. If I generally don't have fun skating does that mean it's "time to put the skateboard away"? If so, can I? It's my true passion in life. I can't see myself ever being able to get it out of my mind. The alternative seems worse: being a skateboarding fan while not doing it. Just like every other fat old dude cheering for their favorite sports team. I need a therapist.
Is it just a balance issue? How often are you getting out there? Maybe it is a psychological thing.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
26 is sick but it's the beginning of the end.

Me? 30, married, kid on the way. Not done by a long shot.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
38.  I have a bunch of gnarly stuff I want to do this year, we'll see how that works out...

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is it just a balance issue? How often are you getting out there? Maybe it is a psychological thing.

Average during the summer would be 1-2 times a week. During the winter once every two weeks. I think part of it is balance, but my movements also feel sluggish. Some days I am hesitant to even do any ollie based tricks since I feel so heavy. Even though I'm slim and in shape, it feels like I'm skating around with a sack of potatoes on my back. I don't know if it's just me or just an old guy thing, but it sucks.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Average during the summer would be 1-2 times a week. During the winter once every two weeks. I think part of it is balance, but my movements also feel sluggish. Some days I am hesitant to even do any ollie based tricks since I feel so heavy. Even though I'm slim and in shape, it feels like I'm skating around with a sack of potatoes on my back. I don't know if it's just me or just an old guy thing, but it sucks.

Although I would never have qualified as "good" by any stretch of the imagination, I am definitely limited the older I get. Have you ever considered something like yoga? Not kidding...I don't do it myself but I know it's supposed to really limber up the old muscles and joints.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was going to say the same thing, it's all psychological. I hear what you're saying (Iceman) about getting bummed but you have to ask yourself why you're really skating. You can't get bummed if you're having an off day. And truthfully speaking, if you only skate 1 time every two weeks, you aren't really skating enough to get bummed out. Set realistic expectations for yourself. Don't do it to 'keep up' with anyone. Just do what feels good to you and fuck the rest of the world.

I'm 38, been skating since 87, but this past year I've been experiencing skateboarding like I haven't in years. It feels amazing because I put zero pressure on myself. Some days I go all in, and want to learn something new while other days I do tricks all day long that I know I can stick. I skated just about every single day this past summer. Maybe 5 days total over the summer I didn't ride. I usually ride about 3-4 times a week now in the Fall. The hilarious irony is that I never stopped doing no comply tricks, shifties, 43s, slappies, etc and they've all come back around again. I'm amazed at the tech kids who can flip their boards 8 ways to Sunday, but have no idea how to slappy.

Specs: 8.1-8.25 size boards / Thunder 149 for everything / 53mm wheels (moved back down from 56 this year)

Favorite Skaters: GSD, Blender, Buz, Silas

Young Satchel

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
I hear you iceman.

I'm 30 as of October and just picked up skating again after nearly a decade off the board. It took me two weeks to get my Ollies more than 6" off the ground.  I'm progressing, but it's slow as fuck, and I have accepted I will never get back to where I was as a youngin. Some days I go out and it feels terrible. I get that sluggish sack of potatoes feeling (even though I'm really tall and slender) and all my joints feel like they need wd-40. I always have fun, but some days I feel like the frustration isn't worth it. But then I have one of those sessions where it's night time and I'm just ripping Round the rough streets of my shitty little upstate NY city, busting Ollies and slappies galore, hopping sewer caps, and carving turns and I feel fucking great. Of course the last session I had like that ended abruptly when I sprained my ankle. Which is the second such sprain in the 4 months I been skating again.

Getting older is difficult.

Young Satchel

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Oh and:

Passport 8.125
Indy 139s
Pfc
Modus

&

Polar p2 shape
Indy 149s
Powell rat bones reissues
Black panthers

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Although I would never have qualified as "good" by any stretch of the imagination, I am definitely limited the older I get. Have you ever considered something like yoga? Not kidding...I don't do it myself but I know it's supposed to really limber up the old muscles and joints.

I haven't. As a matter of fact, skateboarding is my only form of exercise. I've never seriously considered yoga, or any other form of exercise before. Exercising for the sake of seems rather dull. I guess it's obvious that I need to change something though...

I was going to say the same thing, it's all psychological. I hear what you're saying (Iceman) about getting bummed but you have to ask yourself why you're really skating. You can't get bummed if you're having an off day. And truthfully speaking, if you only skate 1 time every two weeks, you aren't really skating enough to get bummed out. Set realistic expectations for yourself. Don't do it to 'keep up' with anyone. Just do what feels good to you and fuck the rest of the world.

I'm 38, been skating since 87, but this past year I've been experiencing skateboarding like I haven't in years. It feels amazing because I put zero pressure on myself. Some days I go all in, and want to learn something new while other days I do tricks all day long that I know I can stick. I skated just about every single day this past summer. Maybe 5 days total over the summer I didn't ride. I usually ride about 3-4 times a week now in the Fall. The hilarious irony is that I never stopped doing no comply tricks, shifties, 43s, slappies, etc and they've all come back around again. I'm amazed at the tech kids who can flip their boards 8 ways to Sunday, but have no idea how to slappy.

Specs: 8.1-8.25 size boards / Thunder 149 for everything / 53mm wheels (moved back down from 56 this year)

Favorite Skaters: GSD, Blender, Buz, Silas

I no longer try to keep up with these young whippersnappers and have lowered my standards quite a bit. But 4 out of 5 sessions being bummers is quite hard to deal with. I really wish I could skate more often but I don't have the time or energy. Speaking of energy, that's the real culprit, I think. When I have it, I have decent days. When I don't....forget it. None of these stimulants seems to work very well either (5Hour, Red Bull, etc).

I hear you iceman.

I'm 30 as of October and just picked up skating again after nearly a decade off the board. It took me two weeks to get my Ollies more than 6" off the ground.  I'm progressing, but it's slow as fuck, and I have accepted I will never get back to where I was as a youngin. Some days I go out and it feels terrible. I get that sluggish sack of potatoes feeling (even though I'm really tall and slender) and all my joints feel like they need wd-40. I always have fun, but some days I feel like the frustration isn't worth it. But then I have one of those sessions where it's night time and I'm just ripping Round the rough streets of my shitty little upstate NY city, busting Ollies and slappies galore, hopping sewer caps, and carving turns and I feel fucking great. Of course the last session I had like that ended abruptly when I sprained my ankle. Which is the second such sprain in the 4 months I been skating again.

Getting older is difficult.

It's a serious bummer. But when a good day shows up it's all worth it (until the next lame skate day).

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
I was going to ask if I could join. I am 28 but have the knees of a 50 year old.

Yeah, sorry man. 28 would normally be old enough but you gotta at least have the knees of a 60 year old to be accepted here....

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Set Up: 7.5 Justin Girard New Deal "Rumblefish" slick
             43mm Underworld Element Ducketts
             129 Thunders
             Bones Swiss
             Zero Two sneakers

Preferred Terrain: Parking garages, double-sided curbs, smooth flatground
Favorite skaters: Chris Fissel, Rene Matthyssen, Ron Knigge, Sage Humphries
Music: Beastie Boys, Descendents/All, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Snow, Wreckx-n-Effect‎, Das Efx.
Married: Divorced 4x
Kids: No

Still got pressure flips & slappy noseslide shove-its on lock.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20