Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301581 times)

sans umbilical

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
If you guys would just keep it as low to the ground as I do here in this part...you might not have the arch problems.
I finally got a hold of some tapes that me and my homie Billy have been filming with an old VX for the past few years as well as some stuff I filmed for the Roger Curb video that didn't go in. ?�
Like I said before, all this old man talk got me inspired to put stuff together. ?�I can't get up on a ledge higher than my knee anymore and surely can't go off anything bigger than a 3 stair, but whatevs. ?�27 years deep in the game. ?�
Maybe I can get a vote for WSOTY with this shit...old men rise up.
Rothmeyer Part 2013

Loved that Hurricane at 1:09. That's one of my fave curb/ledge tricks.

Off topic question: Do you still have the enormous Star Wars collection? I think I remember seeing that in an old 411 interview. I'm a vintage toy collector and I've always remembered that interview.
Keep Shredding

hootbags

• Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
I hate wearing helmets so I avoid terrain where I should be wearing one.....

agreed...i'd like to add pads to that list...one of the most disgusting things i have ever done was rent pads form the Encinitas YMCA. The helmet and pads were soaked with someone else's funk...

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Off topic question: Do you still have the enormous Star Wars collection? I think I remember seeing that in an old 411 interview. I'm a vintage toy collector and I've always remembered that interview.

I do still have that collection. ? I was actually gathering it up recently because Chris Cole expressed some interest in buying it all off of me...so it might go out to another fellow Star Wars geek. ? It's been sitting in some boxes for a while. ? I might have to keep the Emperor in package though...

rothdigga

« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
Hit up Carl Jones @ Cross Colors... Cross Colors x Black Box ala NB#

Those pants look like a combination of all the whack ass pants we wore all morphed into one horrific design.  Awesome.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
If you guys would just keep it as low to the ground as I do here in this part...you might not have the arch problems.
I finally got a hold of some tapes that me and my homie Billy have been filming with an old VX for the past few years as well as some stuff I filmed for the Roger Curb video that didn't go in. ? 
Like I said before, all this old man talk got me inspired to put stuff together. ? I can't get up on a ledge higher than my knee anymore and surely can't go off anything bigger than a 3 stair, but whatevs. ? 27 years deep in the game. ? 
Maybe I can get a vote for WSOTY with this shit...old men rise up.
Rothmeyer Part 2013

I had a smile on my stupid face the whole way through. That was awesome!!

rothdigga

« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

I had a smile on my stupid face the whole way through. That was awesome!!

Thanks Iceman.  Glad it was a smile and not a cringe.  I've got switch mongo on lock, can't shake it still. 

sans umbilical

« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do still have that collection. ? I was actually gathering it up recently because Chris Cole expressed some interest in buying it all off of me...so it might go out to another fellow Star Wars geek. ? It's been sitting in some boxes for a while. ? I might have to keep the Emperor in package though...

That's funny because I have an Instagram account devoted to nothing but my toy pics and Chris is always either liking and/or commenting on my pics. Chris and I have a mutual friend (Drew ex-Blackbox employee) and he (Drew) tells me that Chris buys a lot of vintage toys for his kids.
Keep Shredding

rothdigga

« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
That's funny because I have an Instagram account devoted to nothing but my toy pics and Chris is always either liking and/or commenting on my pics. Chris and I have a mutual friend (Drew ex-Blackbox employee) and he (Drew) tells me that Chris buys a lot of vintage toys for his kids.

Drew kills it.  I miss him working down at Black Box.  Husky ass ruler...

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
old men rise up.
Rothmeyer Part 2013

Loved it. Interestingly the HD stuff looked better to me.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
That part was fun. Lots of nice looking low-impact spots in there; that barrier-to-ledge lookin thing towards the end in particular .

hootbags

« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
Drew kills it.  I miss him working down at Black Box.  Husky ass ruler...

I second that on Drew! Went camping in Yosemite with him once..super fun dude.

Roth...I worked at Black Box for about two years...i'm pretty sure i met you there once...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
I beat an 18 year old at SKATE last friday.  To be fair, he had just come back from a wrist injury.  Never the less it felt good and I don't usually play SKATE, but I was coaxed into it because my new friend had a cool attitude about everything.

I got him with nollie flip, switch flip, switch backside 180, switch front pop shove, and ollie impossible.

He got me SKA with kickflip, heelflip, and switch backside pop shove.

rothdigga

« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Drew kills it.?  I miss him working down at Black Box.?  Husky ass ruler...
[close]

I second that on Drew! Went camping in Yosemite with him once..super fun dude.

Roth...I worked at Black Box for about two years...i'm pretty sure i met you there once...

I'm sure I met you if you were there for 2 years.  I've been working for them for almost 8 years now.  There's been some good dudes come through there (and good dudes still there). 

hootbags

« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
I'm sure I met you if you were there for 2 years.  I've been working for them for almost 8 years now.  There's been some good dudes come through there (and good dudes still there).  

I was one of the web guys from 2008 - 2010. Not the tall one, the short fat one  ::)

Met some good dudes for sure.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:31:45 PM by hootbags »

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »
 That part was tight Roth. Good style, solid mix of tricks (your manuals are crazy), and it had a good vibe to it; like you were just a dude having fun skating rather than worrying about filming too much.

My boy and I started doing some filming just for the fun of it right at the end of this past summer but neither of us have nearly enough for a "part" hahaha. I haven't even seen any of it to be honest with you.

Does anyone else have any old man footage that they'd like to share with us? Maybe somebody here will watch it and get stoked to get out there and skate.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2013, 05:54:07 PM »
Screw it.

Set up:  Girl
             Ventures
             Anything small and white
Terrain:  Street (Mainly flat and ledge dancing)
Favorite Skaters:  Gino, Creager, Koston, Saari, Appleyard
Music: Everything that isn't shitty pop
Married:  For 7 years with one 3 year-old son (He's getting his first set up for Christmas)
Occupation:  Regional creative director of a digital/social/pr agency network

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:19:45 PM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

hootbags

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
Does anyone else have any old man footage that they'd like to share with us? Maybe somebody here will watch it and get stoked to get out there and skate.

Some park footy from a few years back. Part of a Dirty Thirty video some of my friends in Rhode Island put out.

http://youtu.be/_gUScn1Mm7I?t=2m44s

Starts at 2:44 ends at 3:20

rothdigga

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some park footy from a few years back. Part of a Dirty Thirty video some of my friends in Rhode Island put out.

http://youtu.be/_gUScn1Mm7I?t=2m44s

Starts at 2:44 ends at 3:20

You've got a super good frontside flip Dennis...up the step up was tight!  I seem to have lost them a while back and can't get them back at all. 

hootbags

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
You've got a super good frontside flip Dennis...up the step up was tight!  I seem to have lost them a while back and can't get them back at all. 

Wow...thanks Jason! Means a lot coming form you...

shredbuffalo

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to the SLAP old dude crew. I hope you all have a great day with friends/family; just don't eat/drink too much! Gotta watch those waistlines if you want to keep shredding!

***Hootbags: That part was a lot of fun to watch. All of your tricks were super clean and on point. Was that the Black Box park?

hootbags

« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2013, 08:20:36 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to the SLAP old dude crew. I hope you all have a great day with friends/family; just don't eat/drink too much! Gotta watch those waistlines if you want to keep shredding!

***Hootbags: That part was a lot of fun to watch. All of your tricks were super clean and on point. Was that the Black Box park?

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! Most of the tricks were at the Adio park right before i left for Black Box, my 'ender'  ::)  was at the Black Box park.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! When I was younger growing up in Rhode Island, Thanksgiving was the best day to skate...everything was closed!

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
Happy turkey day and all that.  Poured rain all day yesterday and got rid of any snow and ice from earlier in the week. Bone dry out right now. Might go for some sleepy slappies after the meal if the wind chill isn't too real.

shark tits

« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
happy ganksgiving

i don't know if this'll stoke any old farts out but this is last night/last wk. in my head i was doing 5050 to wallie when i banged my face but it doesn't look like it on video.

shredbuffalo

« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
happy ganksgiving

i don't know if this'll stoke any old farts out but this is last night/last wk. in my head i was doing 5050 to wallie when i banged my face but it doesn't look like it on video.

Fuck yeah ST. That's what an old session is all about; hitting up a parking garage on a cold, dark night with your friends, letting loose, falling down and smacking your face on the concrete, some Sabbath, and having fun!!! I'm not sure what the whole cuddling with a giant pile of stuffed puppies thing was about, but hey, whatever works for you guys hahaha.

b.v.

« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »
I've been dealing with a terrible groin pull for over a month, but yesterday I woke up feeling great so hit some spots before seeing my family for thanksgiving.
Just trying to join in on the old man camaraderie.
http://youtu.be/_vI5vv6Trxg

hootbags

« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
I've been dealing with a terrible groin pull for over a month, but yesterday I woke up feeling great so hit some spots before seeing my family for thanksgiving.
Just trying to join in on the old man camaraderie.
http://youtu.be/_vI5vv6Trxg

Sick! That flatbar look so fun....

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
Set Up: 8.12 Chima, Thunder Lights, 53mm Spit F4s (Deluxe fanboy)
Preferred Terrain: Jack of all terrains, master of none. I love transition but French fry curbs are all day every day.
Favorite skaters: Fuck... Grosso, Daewon, Ishod, BoozenTits, just everybody. I don't think anyone's not my favorite, heh.
Married: Only a few years, but she's the same lady I dated back in college.
Occupation: All around IT and multimedia/web dev. Communications coordinator for a state govt agency, emergency comm staffer for my state's DHS (hurricanes, emergencies), do some web stuff for the Louisiana Democratic party when needed.

I'm a really happy guy, but have been working through bouts of anxiety and depression... the depression stuff is new to me, but the anxiety is something I recently found out I've been working around for several years. I go from extremely extrovert to extremely introvert in phases that last several months to a year or more. Not moping around or anything, but I go from skating at the park everyday to like now, where I just roll out by myself and spot hunt and hit my usual spots where I know I can roll by myself and either drill on tricks or just experiment on new things. Skateboarding's been really therapeutic in a very real way for me over the past year especially.

Been really fortunate as far as health is concerned, and I think skating's been way more fulfilling since I turned 30... I always had an awkward style (I'm sketchy but consistent), so keeping up with the next cat had never really been my thing, but after 30 I think I gave even less thought about comparing my progression to anyone else. Been focused on street lately, but I phase back and forth on ramp and park, but I think street will have more permanence with me since it's just so scalable if that makes sense.

This is from last Christmas, rolling with one of my best pals in the neighborhood... we have these little jazz sessions where we dork out really hard and just laugh a lot. He's a young gun who has a really mature/old soul thing going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQdMltxt1c&

Roth, bv, shark... fuck yeah! Having one more cup of coffee and getting a session on.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »
Your ditchgrab mctwist parallels Kostons.....I think you could do a finger flip to fakie on that thing.....

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2038132#msg2038132 date=1385441721
Do any of you guys over 35 have pain in the arches of your feet? I've had a regular arch all my life, I suppose. I've religiously wore Vans with waffle bottoms (mostly Half Cabs, Sk8-Hi's or Old Skools) for the 26 years I've been skating (give or take). However, now when I wake up in the morning after a day of skating, my feet begin to kill me as soon as they hit the floor. It's especially painful when I walk on the hardwoods barefoot. Again, I'm 38 and this has began to occur regularly the day after a sesh. I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has this issue.

If you have good insurance, get some custom insoles.  My plan allows two pair a year and they are amazing.  I go to a sports medicine guy I met through running.  The ones I get retail for $600 if your insurance doesn't cover it.  I have them for running, skating, casual, and dress shoes.  The process is you bring in all your old shoes so they can see how the insoles, soles, and uppers wear down after you wear them, they do motion capture of you walking and jumping, then you put your foot in this box that is like a little MRI and makes a 3-D image of what you got going on.  2-3 weeks later you get a sweet pair of customs. 

sans umbilical

« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2038132#msg2038132 date=1385441721
Expand Quote
Do any of you guys over 35 have pain in the arches of your feet? I've had a regular arch all my life, I suppose. I've religiously wore Vans with waffle bottoms (mostly Half Cabs, Sk8-Hi's or Old Skools) for the 26 years I've been skating (give or take). However, now when I wake up in the morning after a day of skating, my feet begin to kill me as soon as they hit the floor. It's especially painful when I walk on the hardwoods barefoot. Again, I'm 38 and this has began to occur regularly the day after a sesh. I just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has this issue.
[close]

If you have good insurance, get some custom insoles.  My plan allows two pair a year and they are amazing.  I go to a sports medicine guy I met through running.  The ones I get retail for $600 if your insurance doesn't cover it.  I have them for running, skating, casual, and dress shoes.  The process is you bring in all your old shoes so they can see how the insoles, soles, and uppers wear down after you wear them, they do motion capture of you walking and jumping, then you put your foot in this box that is like a little MRI and makes a 3-D image of what you got going on.  2-3 weeks later you get a sweet pair of customs. 

Thankfully I do have great insurance. Thank you very much for the tip. I had no idea this was possible.
Keep Shredding