Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301604 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:56 AM »
just found this......fucking golden. lots of footy from the banks at the beginning.

Blind In Paris (Mark Gonzales/Jason Lee/Danny Way)

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #271 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
just found this......fucking golden. lots of footy from the banks at the beginning.

Love this old Blind footage.
Keep Shredding

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Love this old Blind footage.

GONZ, DANNY WAY AND JASON LEE KILLIN THEM ALL :o

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
old man vs technology: I won!
Finally found a way to embed this shit. I think I'm skating a Kenny Hughes deck here....back when the Element team was rad!
anyways I just had to show you guys the raddest spot on earth, period. Yeah I'm biased I know.....

b]Bassins[/b]

bonus: what the spot looks like usually.

for those who want to see footage, check out Video Days......Gonz, Jason Lee and Danny Way all skated it.
Is that pic you frenchie? Its crazy how I always picture people looking like their avatars...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »
This has become the first thread I try to find every time I come to Slap. All the other news/rumors can wait.
Keep Shredding

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
I gotta learn how to scan photos and stuff.

anyways, if you search youtube - True Mathematics skateboard video, I'm in there with a few tricks.

Ndsr

• Rep: -7
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
old man vs technology: I won!
Finally found a way to embed this shit. I think I'm skating a Kenny Hughes deck here....back when the Element team was rad!
anyways I just had to show you guys the raddest spot on earth, period. Yeah I'm biased I know.....

b]Bassins[/b]

bonus: what the spot looks like usually.

for those who want to see footage, check out Video Days......Gonz, Jason Lee and Danny Way all skated it.
[close]
Is that pic you frenchie? Its crazy how I always picture people looking like their avatars...

You guys rule, I've dreamt of this spot sooo much growing up.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: December 19, 2013, 12:49:32 AM »
Dirtymac : yup that's me. happy to say I look nothing like my avatar....maybe in a few decades though!!

NDSR: I still to this day dream about that spot! think about the tricks I've done there, what I would do if I could skate it again....

Actually a lot of the spots I used to skate in Paris are gone. antiskated to death: Bastille, rue des saints-peres, the upper part of Le Dome, musee d'orsay (although that one seems to have been resurrected).

What about you guys? any old spot you wish you could go back to?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »
Dirtymac : yup that's me. happy to say I look nothing like my avatar....maybe in a few decades though!!

NDSR: I still to this day dream about that spot! think about the tricks I've done there, what I would do if I could skate it again....

Actually a lot of the spots I used to skate in Paris are gone. antiskated to death: Bastille, rue des saints-peres, the upper part of Le Dome, musee d'orsay (although that one seems to have been resurrected).

What about you guys? any old spot you wish you could go back to?

SF Pier 7, Philly City Hall, OG Brooklyn Banks, WTC Benches.....never got to skate them, but would love to session those Eiffel Tower banks too!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2013, 06:29:25 AM »
Old spots I wish I could skate again.

Block City, Collins St Melbourne
Taxi Banks, Melbourne
Tiles, St Kilda Rd Melbourne
The original Southbank with all the little banks London
Brooklyn Banks NY

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:17 AM »
I second you guys about Brooklyn banks.........got to skate the upper part once, super fun spot.

I also spent a few days in Melbourne in 99 or so, and I remember there was a super fun little bowl somewhere....like in park, with a spine and bumps/hips ? is that still there ? sorry I have no idea what it's called!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #281 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:25 AM »
I second you guys about Brooklyn banks.........got to skate the upper part once, super fun spot.

I also spent a few days in Melbourne in 99 or so, and I remember there was a super fun little bowl somewhere....like in park, with a spine and bumps/hips ? is that still there ? sorry I have no idea what it's called!
Was it Fitzroy bowl? A spined bowl, pretty mellow with a roll over one slightly deeper and then the tiny peanut bowl next to it?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
yeah Fitzroy that's it!
small spot but super fun. And Melbourne was actually one of the skate-friendliest cities I ever visited.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2013, 07:39:12 AM »
yeah Fitzroy that's it!
small spot but super fun. And Melbourne was actually one of the skate-friendliest cities I ever visited.
Melbourne has always had great spots and the police generally don't give a fuck unless you're breaking something but some security guards have a hero complex. It pales in comparison to the skate friendliness of Copenhagen but is still a great skate city. Fitzroy has been destroyed somewhat by supposed "repair" work. Last time I was there, a few years back, the surface was rougher and crumbling after attempts to improve it. Not sure what its like now.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
ola!
37th bday around soon.
i have been slamming on my same knee a lot recently. super over it.
any of you guys recommend a slim knee pad that i could wear under jeans?
just need a bit of extra protection i think.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #285 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
I miss OG Brooklyn banks as much as the next New Yorker, but the spot I miss the most is the BAM ledges in downtown Brooklyn. I grew up around the corner and skated there all the time. One long straight knee-high ledge, one super long curved ledge in two sections with a gap in the middle. And a perfect, wide manny pad with a slight upward incline. All a nice, light grey granite, and always with the right amount of wax.  Shit was classic.

43rd street banks in Hell's Kitchen which I used to call food emporium banks were usually a quick bust but were good for a half hour of skating here and there. I also lived around the corner from there too when my folks split. Jacob javits center was another favorite on the far west. There was an ill plaza across from it with stairs and some banks if I remember correctly.

But BAM though.......

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
OG Spots I miss from around the LBC area....
AT&T- of course, no joke, it's my favorite spot ever.  Mostly because you could roll up at any time any day and never get kicked out.  It's the manny pad spot under the awning I filmed a ton at.
Ramona- the 2 stair stage school that me, Creager, Lavar and a few others hit up a lot.  That place ruled so hard.  Epic sessions went down hard there.
Belmont Ledges- the ones on the far side were seriously the best.  From very low to pretty high, it had them all...and it was slightly downhill so if you started at the top you didn't have to push and you could hit 4 ledges in a row.  So fun.
Powell Skatezone- hands down the best indoor park I've ever skated.  It was so much fun, I never paid to get in ever (hence the reason it went away, nobody paid to get in). 
Jacob Park- those green or blue or grey blocks (changed colors over the years) that me, Brad Hayes, Chad Fernandez and a few others had footage on.  Multi level and so much fun.  Also never a bust, but they're pretty knobbed up now. 

b.v.

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
ola!
37th bday around soon.
i have been slamming on my same knee a lot recently. super over it.
any of you guys recommend a slim knee pad that i could wear under jeans?
just need a bit of extra protection i think.

My buddy who had knee surgery a few years ago wears smith knee gaskets, neoprene with a little padding.
Says it makes a world of difference.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2013, 06:14:12 AM »
this talk about old spots got me thinking: pretty much all the iconic 90's spots are long gone, aren't they?

EMB and Pier 7 of course, Brooklyn Banks, Pulaski, Love Park, Hubba Hideout, Le Dome in Paris and Southbanks in London are only half what they used to be.....

so what's left really?? the Marseille bowls, Wallenberg, Burnside....
The Santa Rosa and Derby parks I never got to skate, so maybe if I make it back to California at some point...

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
- this one is probably only known by people who lived in Fullerton, but "the V" was a fun spot when i was growing up (basically a drainage ditch.  was in mags a few times i think, like in the eeearrly days).  i went back there recently and they built an old folks home on top of it

- Pipeline.  it's not like i sit around missing it, but it would be fun to go back there after all these years
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #290 on: December 24, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »
Hey guys...I wanted to wish all of you old bastards a happy holiday. Hopefully you're spending the next few days doing something fun with people that you care about, maybe eating some good food and drinking some good beer, finding that Santa left you some much needed new decks/wheels/trucks/insoles/Glucosamine under the tree? Every year my buddy and I go skating at the indoor park on Christmas Eve and basically have the place to ourselves for a few hours, so I'm planning on doing that today. I took a slam on Sunday and gave myself a hell of a hipper so I'm going to have to take it easy, but I can't break tradition so I'll go and have some mellow fun.

Enjoy your holidays, be safe, and lets keep the "Old Dudes" thread going through 2014 until next Christmas! Peace.

mfkream

« Reply #291 on: December 24, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
yeah Fitzroy that's it!

Yes! I lived in Melbourne for a bit in 2001 and that bowl was right around the corner from where I stayed. That's probably the last time I could comfortably rip transition. On beer.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #292 on: December 24, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
this talk about old spots got me thinking: pretty much all the iconic 90's spots are long gone, aren't they?

EMB and Pier 7 of course, Brooklyn Banks, Pulaski, Love Park, Hubba Hideout, Le Dome in Paris and Southbanks in London are only half what they used to be.....

The Santa Rosa and Derby parks I never got to skate, so maybe if I make it back to California at some point...
Shit, most spots in general from the '90's are gone. We were lucky in that many of us older guys street skated before knobs, and while all the great plazas were still around. I used to meet up with friends at spots where you can't even stand with a board now, and skate amazing, uncapped spots all day long. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread did.

I mean, yeah, there are things skaters are spoiled with today, and it definitely sucks to not be able or even willing to take slams like I used to, but there is a lot that is really fucking rad about skating when we were younger.

Also, seeing the list of spots people never got to makes me feel really lucky. I've been to and skated a lot of them. The way I see it though, that's how spots work. I never got to skate whittier or upland (og upland) or any of those spots, and there are a lot of spots out there today that in ten years people will wish they had a chance to skate.

oldie- If you do ever get back out to Cali, hit up Petaluma too, its right next to SR park, is from the same generation, has been in countless videos, and a lot of people probably even think it is Santa Rosa park. Also, Greer park in Palo Alto and the Dish in SF are all rad og parks to at least go ride in. The Dish is apparently sketchy, though I've never been fucked with, and the way SF is going, the projects there will be replaced with high-income condos within about 6 months or so. Oh, and PM me if you are looking for a tour guide to show you them all!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
When I was like eight or nine, my mom was teaching at the local university and there was an area on campus that had these amazing brick humps all over it. The bricks were replaced by grass at some point in the 90's after we'd moved away. That spot basically hooked me on skating forever.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Shit, most spots in general from the '90's are gone. We were lucky in that many of us older guys street skated before knobs, and while all the great plazas were still around. I used to meet up with friends at spots where you can't even stand with a board now, and skate amazing, uncapped spots all day long. I'm sure a lot of people in this thread did.

I mean, yeah, there are things skaters are spoiled with today, and it definitely sucks to not be able or even willing to take slams like I used to, but there is a lot that is really fucking rad about skating when we were younger.

Also, seeing the list of spots people never got to makes me feel really lucky. I've been to and skated a lot of them. The way I see it though, that's how spots work. I never got to skate whittier or upland (og upland) or any of those spots, and there are a lot of spots out there today that in ten years people will wish they had a chance to skate.

oldie- If you do ever get back out to Cali, hit up Petaluma too, its right next to SR park, is from the same generation, has been in countless videos, and a lot of people probably even think it is Santa Rosa park. Also, Greer park in Palo Alto and the Dish in SF are all rad og parks to at least go ride in. The Dish is apparently sketchy, though I've never been fucked with, and the way SF is going, the projects there will be replaced with high-income condos within about 6 months or so. Oh, and PM me if you are looking for a tour guide to show you them all!

I definitely agree with that feeling of having enjoyed a unique era in skating.....them damn youngsters will never know haha!!
and many thanks for the tour guide invite man, that'd be rad. I haven't been to California since 95 I think...but I was lucky enough to go a few times when I was young, as my mom worked for a US company. funny thing is, a few of you mentioned OG Upland and I actually got to skate that once. I was maybe 14 and could barely pump but that might be the experience that got me hooked for life! incidentally I got an Upland tattoo on my back just last year...
allright I'm off for a vacation with the missus and kids, happy holidays to all you old farts!!
and long live the old dudes thread    ;D

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
Set Up: 7.87 Omar Alien Workshop board
             53 blanks
             Venture 5.0
             Bones reds
             Jessup Grip
Preferred Terrain: Ledges, flatbars and ditches if I can find one...
Favorite skaters:  Daewon, Heath, Rieder, Suciu, Van Engelen, Dill, Penny, Busenitz...
Music: The Smiths, Morrissey, ISIS, Neurosis, Year of no light, Pelican, Mono, Sleep...
Married: no, but my girlfriend and I have been together for 5 and half years.
Kids: not yet
Occupation: Freelance Graphic Designer/illustrator currently looking for a steady position.

Johnny Rad

• Rep: 13
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »

I feel so lucky that I got to skate some of the most iconic spots in their prime.

The Turf in 89
EMB in 93
Powell Skate Zone in 93
Hubba Hideout/Pier 7/3rd & Army in 99 (3rd & Army actually was 2002 I think?)
Chaffey High School in 2000-2003
Serra High School from 98-2003
Le Dome in 2003
BAM in Brooklyn in 2003
Those are just the famous ones I can think of. So many good spots just come and go
I also saw him snake a kid with cancer once for some go fund me or some shit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:40 PM »
I feel lucky too skating during that time.....but I feel even luckier that skating is so full of pussies that even a 40 year old still gets to stick around.....

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Set Up:
Board -7.75 darkstar
Wheels-  51mm plan b
Trucks- romar ventures
Bearings-fast ones
             shake junt Grip
Preferred Terrain: mom's driveway (week-days), dad's condo plaza (week-ends)
Favorite skaters: p-rod, nyjah, mikey taylor, bam
Music: everyone my age has the worst taste in music. i wish i was born in a different generation. all they listen to is stupid justin beaver, i like real music like rolling stones and led zeppelin!!
Married: soon
Kids: no way!! lol
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

shark tits

« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »
mike 2000
this ain't my prime per se cause i got sober/better but i wish a lot of spots here were still around. sadly i went to brooklyn banks too this yr but didn't try too hard to get footage. just a bs heel or kickflip fakie would've made my inner tourist happy..... pinche hindsight!