Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301756 times)

Young Satchel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #360 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Street in Hudson is terrible. Super crusty and low impact. But I make do when I can...there's a decent concrete park 20 min south of me in saugerties that I plan to hit up once the spring comes. But it's lookin like as whole lotta snow between now and then.
[close]

Saugerties is pretty fun man!  If I'm still around when the snow melts hit me up and a few of us will make the drive down and skate it with you!

No doubt man. I'm hoping for some melt-off so I can session it sooner!

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #361 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »
Old man skateboarder problems: At home on Saturday night doing work for my job, had to leave the session early to do so. I swore there was a time when I swore I'd never be that guy...technically I don't even have to be here either- I'm not on the clock, I'm just doing work (and constantly distracting myself from it by posting here). My friends are all either still skating or heading out to the bars.

And does anybody have the link of that dude well into his 30's doing like double kink rails and shit that was in the other thread? Dude is like my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJpZad8zU8
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

skylerjm

• Rep: 3
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
So I signed up just to reply to this topic.  Its good to know that there are other older skaters out there still, in fact its inspiring to know that people still love skating after such a long time.  I think I am definitely most stoked on older skaters who still come out and have a good time. That gets me way more excited than any videos coming out today.  I have noticed that many posters on the forum grapple with having to accept age/time limitations to their ability on skateboard.  It is a little bit comforting to me to learn that I am not the only person to feel this way.  I am a 35 year old skater in Denver area and I guess I will post a link to my old man skate footage that I filmed last year. 

Skyler - Broomfield on Vimeo  (I got rained out so I didn't get to try everything I wanted to.)

Any way thank you guys for shredding!

skyler

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
So I signed up just to reply to this topic.  Its good to know that there are other older skaters out there still, in fact its inspiring to know that people still love skating after such a long time.  I think I am definitely most stoked on older skaters who still come out and have a good time. That gets me way more excited than any videos coming out today.  I have noticed that many posters on the forum grapple with having to accept age/time limitations to their ability on skateboard.  It is a little bit comforting to me to learn that I am not the only person to feel this way.  I am a 35 year old skater in Denver area and I guess I will post a link to my old man skate footage that I filmed last year. 

Skyler - Broomfield on Vimeo  (I got rained out so I didn't get to try everything I wanted to.)

skyler
That was good man. Post more when you film it.

shark tits

« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

skyler
[close]
That was good man. Post more when you film it.

i was impressed. dig the imperfections like on the nollie heel down stairs. 4 on the floor is a land in my book.

coneklr

« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »

skyler

I was psyched on this!  That park looks sick too

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »
Expand Quote

skyler
[close]

hell yeah!

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

skyler
[close]

[close]

hell yeah!

bitchin.  kick flip back lip.   fuck.   nosegrind shove it was awesome too.  and nose grind at the end

bravo sir
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

b.v.

« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Killin it!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
amazing !

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #370 on: January 06, 2014, 04:16:56 AM »
back from holiday, glad to see the thread still going!

bv and skyler: congrats! filming a real street part at 40 is no small feat, just like filming one in one day.
I'll try to post some shit in 2014 too....I've stuck to tranny for the last 15 years but the Magenta vids got me hyped to film some downhill cruising stuff!!

and while on the topic of old rippers: I cannot believe how hard guys like Hosoi and Miller still go.... inspiring for sure.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:28:16 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #371 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »
Just had my second kid. Skateboarding is a distant memory at the moment what with the weather and babys.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:33:32 AM by Spike Hawke »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #372 on: January 06, 2014, 04:37:10 AM »
Just had my second kid. Skateboarding is a distant memory at the moment what with the weather and babys.

Congrats Spike. I'm sure you'll make time when the weather clears up.

Young Satchel

« Reply #373 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »

Congrats Spike!

I've got a 9 month old with a recently diagnosed genetic disorder and some nasty weather to deal with myself.  I try and make it out when I can, but it's been really really tough lately.  Hang in there, you'll get back in the saddle soon enough!

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #374 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »

Congrats man!
Keep Shredding

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #375 on: January 06, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
Cliff mentioned this and I dunno if it's abp....but...this guy is so old he's married to Laura Dern......

Ben Harper Skateboarding, Laser Flip.

i knew he rolled around, but a lazer flip?  now i respect his skating and music. 

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: January 06, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Cliff mentioned this and I dunno if it's abp....but...this guy is so old he's married to Laura Dern......

Ben Harper Skateboarding, Laser Flip.

[close]
i knew he rolled around, but a lazer flip?  now i respect his skating and music. 

i've seen him skating a few times at the Cove in Santa Monica.  dude has a respectable street game and serious pop.   was never a fan of his music but respect that he loves skating

also saw Laura Dern there too once (their kids skate).  think they are divorced now though, unless i'm mistaken

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #377 on: January 06, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2050207#msg2050207 date=1386984370
Expand Quote
sans umbilical, i like your ditch witch style. we've got nothing like that where i live. liked your bank to curb tricks.
[close]

Thanks Sharky! I appreciate it.
skating trussville and dead animal ditch i see

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #378 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »

Gnar!!! Congrats Spike. Looking good. I need pointers. Got one coming in a few months. I Just want to be a good dad.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Congrats Spike!

I've got a 9 month old with a recently diagnosed genetic disorder and some nasty weather to deal with myself.  I try and make it out when I can, but it's been really really tough lately.  Hang in there, you'll get back in the saddle soon enough!

fuck Satchel, that's gotta be super tough. hope everything turns out good for you.
Spike: congrats!

as for me, my second son is now 16 months. it's a blast seeing them play together but having more than one than kid really takes a dent out of your skating/personal time!
My first son is 5 and a half, and not too interested in skating, but maybe in a few years.........we'll see! I hope I get to do sessions with both of them.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2014, 04:25:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Congrats Spike!

[close]

fuck Satchel, that's gotta be super tough. hope everything turns out good for you.

as for me, my second son is now 16 months. it's a blast seeing them play together but having more than one than kid really takes a dent out of your skating/personal time!
My first son is 5 and a half, and not too interested in skating, but maybe in a few years.........we'll see! I hope I get to do sessions with both of them.
Satchel, that sounds tough. Good thing is that its been discovered pretty early on. Gives you more time to adjust and get your head around the "problem". My oldest is highly allergic to milk and eggs so we have to be heavily aware of all that he eats. He is 4 now so going to nursery and other kids houses and its pretty worrying when you are relying on other people to deal with a possible anaphylactic shock. Just got to remember to support each other through the tough times, when it comes to kids you tend to forget about each other sometimes.

Paraquat, best thing to do is go with what you feel is best. You wont break it but common sense in parenting is a must. Enjoy the crazy hormones.

Frenchie, My oldest loves watching skate vids and playing with, not on, his setup. I'm counting on him to get skating so I can take him out for a roll.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2014, 05:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just thought I would share A part I filmed this year for my 40th birthday.
All this is from this year.
Thanks for all the inspiration you guys give me, this topic keeps me rolling for sure.
VXDUCE #30 DAVE WAITE'S FORTY
[close]

Great part, inspiring in turn. The slappy crooked grind on the ledge into the bank was real nice.
[close]
stoked!

BV - That was one of the best things I've seen in a long time. So damn good and so damn inspiring. Keep killing it homey!

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:05 AM »
Old man question-- woke up two days ago with what I can only imagine to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder.  The pain is pretty localized to the front of my right shoulder and about the size of a golfball.  Raising it above 45-50 degrees and the pain increases dramatically.  I looked on the internet and got a variety of responses, but figured I'd ask here too-- how long is too long before going to see someone?  The pain is not getting worse, but it's just there.  I tried to skate a parking garage a couple days ago and even impact on ollies was aggravating it though and going to the gym is out of the question with where the nerve is.  I was thinking about a week before checking in with a chiro or a doc.

For me it always depends on the amount of pain. If it's keeping me from sleep or being able to perform daily activities after 3 or more days I'll go see a doc. Have you tried the old RICE? (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.) I find, especially for the last several years that ice helps a lot. I use the ice-hot soak-ice quite a bit on my knees and ankles and it makes a huge difference. If after doing that it's something that a couple of ibuprofen can't alleviate I'll go to the doc. I do think due to the amount of abuse skateboarders put themselves through we have a higher pain tolerance than a lot of people. I walked around on a broken ankle for two months because it was just "sore" and I though I had just rolled it. The Dr. thought there was something really wrong with me, he didn't understand how I could deal with the "pain". In reality though I had put a brace on it, and just limping around, really not all that different from what he did, except for the cast and crutches.

coneklr

« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »
HATE!  if it's muscle, see a masseuse, a hot one preferably haha.  It has done wonders for me on occasion.

b.v.

« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
When I get cramps or knots like that the main cause is dehydration. Try drinking an abundance if water and cut out the coffee and soda for a day.

Young Satchel

« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Congrats Spike!

[close]

[close]
Satchel, that sounds tough. Good thing is that its been discovered pretty early on. Gives you more time to adjust and get your head around the "problem". My oldest is highly allergic to milk and eggs so we have to be heavily aware of all that he eats. He is 4 now so going to nursery and other kids houses and its pretty worrying when you are relying on other people to deal with a possible anaphylactic shock. Just got to remember to support each other through the tough times, when it comes to kids you tend to forget about each other sometimes.

Paraquat, best thing to do is go with what you feel is best. You wont break it but common sense in parenting is a must. Enjoy the crazy hormones.

Frenchie, My oldest loves watching skate vids and playing with, not on, his setup. I'm counting on him to get skating so I can take him out for a roll.

Appreciate the support from you dudes. And spike, the toughest thing next to dealing with the problem itself is finding the time, energy, and sensitivity to make sure our own needs are met as individuals, and as a couple. But we are managing. He's got a genetic defect that causes retinal dystrophy from birth, rendering him essentially blind for all intents and purposes. It's a tough pill to swallow, but not insurmountable. I actually started skating again after over a decade off the board right around the time we began the road towards diagnosis and it's been a huge help as far as decompression and stress relief are concerned.

Dealing with other peoples lack of awareness as you describe in your case is something we will have to get used to I suppose...

Young Satchel

« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
I hope you aren't dealing with an impingement of some sort.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00032

Been dealing with that on and off for years and it fucking sucks...

Hope it heals up soon. Chronic shit is the worst...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
Old man question-- woke up two days ago with what I can only imagine to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder.  The pain is pretty localized to the front of my right shoulder and about the size of a golfball.  Raising it above 45-50 degrees and the pain increases dramatically.  I looked on the internet and got a variety of responses, but figured I'd ask here too-- how long is too long before going to see someone?  The pain is not getting worse, but it's just there.  I tried to skate a parking garage a couple days ago and even impact on ollies was aggravating it though and going to the gym is out of the question with where the nerve is.  I was thinking about a week before checking in with a chiro or a doc.

I think 1) a good Physio 2) maybe massage guy 3) accu?...go and see someone soon.....I bet the answer will be some dude ramming his thumb into the spot until you cry.....and and some kooky exercises......maybe you're doctor is good but so many just give you pills....

Rotator cuff maybe?

I've messed up my shoulder multiple times over the years from weights, nerding out (using a mouse), falling, and just crappy style (arms flying around)

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Old man question-- woke up two days ago with what I can only imagine to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder.  The pain is pretty localized to the front of my right shoulder and about the size of a golfball.  Raising it above 45-50 degrees and the pain increases dramatically.  I looked on the internet and got a variety of responses, but figured I'd ask here too-- how long is too long before going to see someone?  The pain is not getting worse, but it's just there.  I tried to skate a parking garage a couple days ago and even impact on ollies was aggravating it though and going to the gym is out of the question with where the nerve is.  I was thinking about a week before checking in with a chiro or a doc.
[close]

I think 1) a good Physio 2) maybe massage guy 3) accu?...go and see someone soon.....I bet the answer will be some dude ramming his thumb into the spot until you cry.....and and some kooky exercises......maybe you're doctor is good but so many just give you pills....

Rotator cuff maybe?

I've messed up my shoulder multiple times over the years from weights, nerding out (using a mouse), falling, and just crappy style (arms flying around)

Same Here. I sleep on my side (left). And I have woke up with my shoulder feeling like it dropped out of place. I am trying to do the exercise thing ( I hate going to doctors), and have had good success. I just do push up variations (burpees, etc), Pull up/Chin ups, bike, clean diet. Maintaining Good posture is good too.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Old man question-- woke up two days ago with what I can only imagine to be a pinched nerve in my shoulder.  The pain is pretty localized to the front of my right shoulder and about the size of a golfball.  Raising it above 45-50 degrees and the pain increases dramatically.  I looked on the internet and got a variety of responses, but figured I'd ask here too-- how long is too long before going to see someone?  The pain is not getting worse, but it's just there.  I tried to skate a parking garage a couple days ago and even impact on ollies was aggravating it though and going to the gym is out of the question with where the nerve is.  I was thinking about a week before checking in with a chiro or a doc.
[close]

Rotator cuff maybe?

[close]

Same Here. I sleep on my side (left). And I have woke up with my shoulder feeling like it dropped out of place. I am trying to do the exercise thing ( I hate going to doctors), and have had good success. I just do push up variations (burpees, etc), Pull up/Chin ups, bike, clean diet. Maintaining Good posture is good too.
[close]

This is exactly how I sleep and exactly how it feels.  I've been forcing myself to sleep on my back the past two nights and I've been doing the ice wrap on and off today (thankfully I had a day off and school doesn't start til the 22nd) and it seems to really be working.  Fingers crossed that this is doing the trick.
I had a pretty full on surgical shoulder reconstruction las August and am still deep in the rehab/physio for it. Even if it feels better you might want to speak to a doctor or other professional to see what the problem is and then you can get a maintenance program for it. I have the same problem with wanting to sleep on the side of my bad shoulder (they're both bad but only one has had surgery). I use another pillow and rest that arm on it to act as a buffer to stop me rolling on to it while I sleep. If you do have a problem physio could prevent it from getting worse or the doctor might give you a cortisone injection. If you have any questions about rotator cuff maintenance excercises don't hesitate to ask me.