Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301516 times)

sans umbilical

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2050207#msg2050207 date=1386984370
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sans umbilical, i like your ditch witch style. we've got nothing like that where i live. liked your bank to curb tricks.
[close]

Thanks Sharky! I appreciate it.
[close]
skating trussville and dead animal ditch i see

Whoa! A Bama bro! What's up?
Keep Shredding

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #391 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
When I get cramps or knots like that the main cause is dehydration. Try drinking an abundance if water and cut out the coffee and soda for a day.
[close]

Definitely not that, I don't drink soda and only have about two cups of coffee a day.  I drink water all the time as well.  However the ice seems to be working a lot.  Thanks, dudes.

Congrats on the kid, Spike!

Potassium helps a lot with muscle cramps as well. bananas and coconut water are loaded with it.

Funky Brewster

• Rep: 1
« Reply #392 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical ? link=topic=74338.msg2065642#msg2065642 date=1389154170
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical ? link=topic=74338.msg2050207#msg2050207 date=1386984370
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sans umbilical, i like your ditch witch style. we've got nothing like that where i live. liked your bank to curb tricks.
[close]

[close]
[close]

I moved down to the Mobile area from Maryland this past August.

sans umbilical

« Reply #393 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical ? link=topic=74338.msg2065642#msg2065642 date=1389154170
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical ? link=topic=74338.msg2050207#msg2050207 date=1386984370
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Welcome to the Dirty South Funky Brewster. You're going to hate the summers here.
Keep Shredding

Funky Brewster

• Rep: 1
« Reply #394 on: January 09, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical ? link=topic=74338.msg2066872#msg2066872 date=1389286738
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical ?? link=topic=74338.msg2065642#msg2065642 date=1389154170
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical ?? link=topic=74338.msg2050207#msg2050207 date=1386984370
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Welcome to the Dirty South Funky Brewster. You're going to hate the summers here.
Thanks, I grew up in the Huntsville area. Lived awhile down in Miami as well. Moved back down because I don't dig the cold and what do you know, fuckin Polar Vortex.

shark tits

« Reply #395 on: January 09, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
mobile's got them flatbars going down the parking garage driveway. didn't get much of a feel for that place while i was there but those things were awesome.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #396 on: January 09, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Just turned 37 a couple weeks ago.
Me and the rest of my old man posse are the "Washed Up Warriors" We have made 3 videos. The first one came out in 2008. Then 2011 and 2012.
Old man rant: Does anyone remember when inward heelflips were called barrel rolls? Maybe that was just a Midwest thing; where I grew up.
Another: Nowadays everyone calls it a rewind, or pretzel, or wrong way or hard way 180 out. When are we gonna start calling them Gazelles again?
I posted my most recent part from a Lowcard edit in one of these other old man forums.
So here is my part from Washed Up 3, Way of the Washed. Released Dec 2012.
MATT SOSA - WAY OF THE WASHED

shark tits

« Reply #397 on: January 09, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
Me and the rest of my old man posse are the "Washed Up Warriors" We have made 3 videos. The first one came out in 2008. Then 2011 and 2012.
Old man rant: Does anyone remember when inward heelflips were called barrel rolls? Maybe that was just a Midwest thing; where I grew up.
Another: Nowadays everyone calls it a rewind, or pretzel, or wrong way or hard way 180 out. When are we gonna start calling them Gazelles again?
I posted my most recent part from a Lowcard edit in one of these other old man forums.
that was awesome, i'm partial to the chink chink onto the rock. we usedta call inward heels 'hard heels' so i think it's a regional thing. gazelles were, i thought, kind of a revert. noseslide fakie and pivot to regular is what i call a gazelle [rarely]. it's like a 270 that's not in the air.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Matt, that was a great video part. Definitely old man ripper status. It's cool that you have a crew of guys to skate with.

Yeah, I've never heard the names "Barrel Roll" or "Gazelle"...That one just sounds weird to me: "That 5-0 to Gazelle on the ledge today was sick!" hahaha. It's always been "the hard way" for me coming out frontside 180 from backside or vice versa. I remember seeing some video and someone was famous for doing, I think a front noseslide back 270 out and maybe Koston named it "The Pretzel Way"? I could be wrong though...I'm old, I've done too many bad things to my brain, and I can't remember shit too well.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
Just curious, how many of you click on a new part of some new skateboarder you've never heard of the photos/video thread and click off if it in 20 seconds or less. This happens to me 90% of the time, is that just me?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:25:33 PM by gearingupforgettingdown »

FUSE

• Rep: -20
    • Beats avatar image
« Reply #400 on: January 12, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
I'm 40.  I don't heal so good anymore.  Can't stop though, love it.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #401 on: January 12, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
It's weird dealing with the 5 - 6 months of winter of absolutely no skating again. Was living in more friendly climates for the last few years so I had the option to be on the board throughout the year. Don't really enjoy skateparks so it's these boards for now.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #402 on: January 12, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Just curious, how many of you click on a new part of some new skateboarder you've never heard of the photos/video thread and click off if it in 20 seconds or less. This happens to me 90% of the time, is that just me?

Honestly I'd say it's about 50/50 for me. I've found a lot of great stuff from dudes I've never heard of or regional favorites in the photos/videos section.  I check it often for that reason. Boring to just watch classic shit from dudes I heard of already all the time.

That said, I rarely find myself enjoying the hyped parts that get a 5-10 page thread. Tend to like the weird Japanese ripper or Aussie clip that gets like 7 comments more... :)

BRO

« Reply #403 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
For me, the Holy Grail of non pro old man video parts.  I have this dvd and the whole thing is a fun watch.  41 here, and I probably skate about 3-4 a week.  Just snowed last night, so probably won't be skating til this weekend when I head up to Portland. 

Brian Ball's part in Trick Factory's video Off The Couch

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #404 on: January 12, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
For me, the Holy Grail of non pro old man video parts.  I have this dvd and the whole thing is a fun watch.  41 here, and I probably skate about 3-4 a week.  Just snowed last night, so probably won't be skating til this weekend when I head up to Portland. 

blunt to fakie madness and the journey song...I like this!

BRO

« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2014, 01:10:13 PM »

I know exactly what you mean.  It's not just you.  I think the most recent thing I got really excited about was that Magenta SF hill bomb video.  That was all kinds of awesome.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
skating on friday and I took my ankle out from just playing a couple of games of flatground skate. I didn't roll it or tweak it or land on it funny. I think just flicking my ankle that many times in a row made it get sore to the point where it felt like I had just sprained it.
getting old sucks.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #407 on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know exactly what you mean.  It's not just you.  I think the most recent thing I got really excited about was that Magenta SF hill bomb video.  That was all kinds of awesome.

Me too. I'm "only" 30 but, I find myself fading away from new video clip watching. I'll scan hella clips and not click on one video.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Me too. I'm "only" 30 but, I find myself fading away from new video clip watching. I'll scan hella clips and not click on one video.
I think this just comes with watching skate videos for like 20 years. You start getting bored with the traditional stuff that you feel like you've seen a million times, and a lot of "nbds" stop being impressive once you realize the way the progression of skating goes and kind of expect somebody would be able to do a lot of stuff. That's why the stereotype of old dudes liking Ricky Oyola and Bobby Puleo and magenta and shit carries a certain amount of weight. That shit brings something new to the table that is inspiring. Style also becomes more important. Somebody who looks good is a lot more fun to watch the 100,000th flatground 360 flip you've seen than somebody who is just doing one to have another trick in their line.
Does that even make sense? Oh well.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I know exactly what you mean.  It's not just you.  I think the most recent thing I got really excited about was that Magenta SF hill bomb video.  That was all kinds of awesome.
[close]

[close]
I think this just comes with watching skate videos for like 20 years. You start getting bored with the traditional stuff that you feel like you've seen a million times, and a lot of "nbds" stop being impressive once you realize the way the progression of skating goes and kind of expect somebody would be able to do a lot of stuff. That's why the stereotype of old dudes liking Ricky Oyola and Bobby Puleo and magenta and shit carries a certain amount of weight. That shit brings something new to the table that is inspiring. Style also becomes more important. Somebody who looks good is a lot more fun to watch the 100,000th flatground 360 flip you've seen than somebody who is just doing one to have another trick in their line.
Yeah I get what your saying. The older gens (me us you and older)had to choose their videos wisely and watch them more than 30 times because at any given moment there were not 4000000 clips of skating at their finger tips. If you bought a shitty video, you were stuck with it and would usually watch it until you found something you liked about it. I think this mentality is still a part of my viewing, in that I am very selective because my limited time to browse, but also my search for quality skating (style, gusto, spots, etc)

Edit: can this thread get sticky'd? Take that jake johnson one down. It's been like 7 months.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:58:23 PM by paraquat »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »
I'm lucky to know some 50 year olds who skate who could give two fucks about ever seeing a skate video....they just talk about skateboarder magazine covers....I tried to show them a video of Gino explaining to them that this the only thing that matters in skateboarding.....

It was like playing Depeche Mode to my dad....

cuteandintimidating

• Rep: 5
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
o.................h...........h....m....y.....g....o........d.......g........r........e.....a...t.....s.....t...................o....r.....y.......d......e......................p...c...h...e.....................m...........................................o.....d..........e..........h.....a.........v................e...................s...............o.........m....a..n...............................y...........g.....o.........o...........................................d....... ..s......o...n..................g....s...................s.........

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

really impressive man
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i still watch a lot of the new videos, but yeah.  it takes more for me to get really excited about something.  i get more stoked on those Tim and Eric videos than anything.   for younger dudes i admittedly like watching tranny stuff more than street, but it depends on who it is.  that Grant AH Welcome was a breath of fresh air

one thing i don't get about skate videos now - as opposed to the olde days - are people doing single tricks where it's just 1 push and then jumping down something, or doing a rail or whatever.  i guess it's impressive, but to me i'd much rather watch someone doing a line - street or tranny.  1 push, trick, stop - just doesn't seem that fun.  you're not even rolling

i'm sure this has been beaten to death by old guys but it's weird to see kids who can do a lot of advanced flip tricks or whatever, but they can hardly ride a skateboard.  as in, push around and actually ride.  i think this comes from parents dropping kids off at skateparks and so kids go there and play skate or whatever.  they never actually skate around anymore, on the streets

also i wish they'd stay off my lawn
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Useful Idiot

« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
38 checking in. Just started skating vert. It's scary as fuck.
You loves you? Megatron.

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »

This video  :D 

Whoever said that us older guys are tired of seeing the same stuff after so long hit on something I think. Tim and Eric, The Wiskate guys that's the kind of stuff I look for nowdays. I'll have to check out this whole video. I find I'd rather watch Julien Stranger bomb a hill then watch some new kids demolish a 20 stair rail. Don't get me wrong, I still like watching some "big" video's, but the re-watch value of those when compared to the guys putting something different out isn't the same for me. If I want to watch something before skating to get stoked, I'm going to pop in this http://beez.wiskate.com/ before Watching Pretty Sweet.

Useful Idiot

« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:35 AM »
Jim's Ramp Jam will never get old.
You loves you? Megatron.

sans umbilical

« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
38 checking in. Just started skating vert. It's scary as fuck.

Thumbs up man. I'm the same age and I have been considering giving vert a try. The closest vert ramp is an hour or so away but I hear it's very mellow from the dudes that skate it.
Keep Shredding

BRO

« Reply #418 on: January 14, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
This is Larry from Grants Pass, Oregon.  He's probably 51 now, but this video is making the rounds again.  He rips and his son does too.  Pretty inspiring stuff.

Old man skateboard tricks- 50 tricks on 50th Birthday

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #419 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just had my second kid. Skateboarding is a distant memory at the moment what with the weather and babys.

[close]

Congrats Spike!

I've got a 9 month old with a recently diagnosed genetic disorder and some nasty weather to deal with myself.  I try and make it out when I can, but it's been really really tough lately.  Hang in there, you'll get back in the saddle soon enough!
[close]

fuck Satchel, that's gotta be super tough. hope everything turns out good for you.
Spike: congrats!

as for me, my second son is now 16 months. it's a blast seeing them play together but having more than one than kid really takes a dent out of your skating/personal time!
My first son is 5 and a half, and not too interested in skating, but maybe in a few years.........we'll see! I hope I get to do sessions with both of them.
[close]
Satchel, that sounds tough. Good thing is that its been discovered pretty early on. Gives you more time to adjust and get your head around the "problem". My oldest is highly allergic to milk and eggs so we have to be heavily aware of all that he eats. He is 4 now so going to nursery and other kids houses and its pretty worrying when you are relying on other people to deal with a possible anaphylactic shock. Just got to remember to support each other through the tough times, when it comes to kids you tend to forget about each other sometimes.

Paraquat, best thing to do is go with what you feel is best. You wont break it but common sense in parenting is a must. Enjoy the crazy hormones.

Frenchie, My oldest loves watching skate vids and playing with, not on, his setup. I'm counting on him to get skating so I can take him out for a roll.
[close]

Appreciate the support from you dudes. And spike, the toughest thing next to dealing with the problem itself is finding the time, energy, and sensitivity to make sure our own needs are met as individuals, and as a couple. But we are managing. He's got a genetic defect that causes retinal dystrophy from birth, rendering him essentially blind for all intents and purposes. It's a tough pill to swallow, but not insurmountable. I actually started skating again after over a decade off the board right around the time we began the road towards diagnosis and it's been a huge help as far as decompression and stress relief are concerned.

Dealing with other peoples lack of awareness as you describe in your case is something we will have to get used to I suppose...
Man thats a shame for your little guy. Sounds like you have the right attitude though. Remember that you and your partner have to have tie to adjust and to be there for each other. With a defect that is that affecting, you are going to have a lot of down times but the ups are going to feel amazing. Both are going to be highly stressful and a strain on your relationship not just with your partner but family and friends too.

Are you guys involved with any support groups or is there anything local you can go too? Speaking to other parents of kids with a similar issue is always good, plus you might find it more comfortable to ask questions and also see kids who are older and how they cope.

I wish your family all the luck in the world.