Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301603 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »
This is Larry from Grants Pass, Oregon.  He's probably 51 now, but this video is making the rounds again.  He rips and his son does too.  Pretty inspiring stuff.

Old man skateboard tricks- 50 tricks on 50th Birthday

that is so fuckin rad.  i'm glad i have 10 years to practice for mine because there's no way i can do all that
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
This is Larry from Grants Pass, Oregon.  He's probably 51 now, but this video is making the rounds again.  He rips and his son does too.  Pretty inspiring stuff.

Old man skateboard tricks- 50 tricks on 50th Birthday

Shoot, this guy at 50 rips! There's hope for me after all.
Keep Shredding

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just curious, how many of you click on a new part of some new skateboarder you've never heard of the photos/video thread and click off if it in 20 seconds or less. This happens to me 90% of the time, is that just me?
[close]

I know exactly what you mean.  It's not just you.  
[close]

I'll scan hella clips Slap and not click on one video.
[close]
I think this just comes with watching skate videos for like 20 years. You start getting bored with the traditional stuff that you feel like you've seen a million times.
[close]

i still watch a lot of the new videos, but yeah.  it takes more for me to get really excited about something.

^^^^ Ditto. Also, even if I really like something, I still might not even bother rewatching it. Maybe 2 video parts a year will get watched 5 times apiece.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:31:23 PM by Iceman »

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #423 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just curious, how many of you click on a new part of some new skateboarder you've never heard of the photos/video thread and click off if it in 20 seconds or less. This happens to me 90% of the time, is that just me?
[close]

[close]

[close]
I think this just comes with watching skate videos for like 20 years. You start getting bored with the traditional stuff that you feel like you've seen a million times.
[close]

i still watch a lot of the new videos, but yeah.  it takes more for me to get really excited about something.
[close]

^^^^ Ditto. Also, even if I really like something, I still might not even bother rewatching it. Maybe 2 video parts a year will get watched 5 times apiece.
Think this is why I really like the Magenta stuff. Its filmed well and is fun and a bit different.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #424 on: January 16, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I know exactly what you mean.  It's not just you. 
[close]

[close]
[close]

i still watch a lot of the new videos, but yeah.  it takes more for me to get really excited about something.
[close]

I'm totally there with you. It easy to say it's our ADD induced society or from watching videos for decades but for me, I know it's just a subculture I felt I use to know that is basically a completely different thing now. It's unfortunate because, people say skating goes in cycles and and will eventually die again but for someone that's been doing it long enough, you know this "popularity" that skateboarding has right now is really never going away. The web has a lot to do with this...constant inexpensive marketing and advertising of skateboarding culture. You never had that back in the day, new kids that would've never been exposed to it are getting exposed at alarming rates. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:25:02 PM by gearingupforgettingdown »

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #425 on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »

I wish your family all the luck in the world.

Thanks Spike.  I appreciate the kind words....

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #426 on: January 18, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »
Since this thread unfortunately is not getting a sticky any time soon, I'm keeping it here...any new old guy footage we can get stoked on this weekend?! 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:44:35 AM by gearingupforgettingdown »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #427 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm totally there with you. It easy to say it's our ADD induced society or from watching videos for decades but for me, I know it's just a subculture I felt I use to know that is basically a completely different thing now. It's unfortunate because, people say skating goes in cycles and and will eventually die again but for someone that's been doing it long enough, you know this "popularity" that skateboarding has right now is really never going away. The web has a lot to do with this...constant inexpensive marketing and advertising of skateboarding culture. You never had that back in the day, new kids that would've never been exposed to it are getting exposed at alarming rates. It is what it is.

Can't say I agree. I'm in my mid 30s and I love watching new clips of all the new dudes. In fact, I'm psyched on how much new content is available and on top of the free stuff I even bought a bunch of videos last year: Pretty Sweet, Deathwish, Tengu, Soleil Levant, Cold War, Made, 11th Hour, etc. all paid for.

Not that I would/could/want to ever do what they're doing now, I just love watching what is being done now. In a way it still inspires and pushes me but in a different context for my own skateboarding.

shark tits

« Reply #428 on: January 18, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
Since this thread unfortunately is not getting a sticky any time soon, I'm keeping it here...any new old guy footage we can get stoked on this weekend?! 
subliminal skate park edit
ask and ye shall receive. i'm the shitbird w/ orange pants and later w/ a rugby shirt. everyone's mid 30s except nate w/ the nosegrind nosewheelie and the line w/ the big pyramid.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Can't say I agree. I'm in my mid 30s and I love watching new clips of all the new dudes. In fact, I'm psyched on how much new content is available and on top of the free stuff I even bought a bunch of videos last year: Pretty Sweet, Deathwish, Tengu, Soleil Levant, Cold War, Made, 11th Hour, etc. all paid for.

Not that I would/could/want to ever do what they're doing now, I just love watching what is being done now. In a way it still inspires and pushes me but in a different context for my own skateboarding.

right with Heritage on this one ... I'm still devouring all the new content and the best part of it is how seemlessly alot of it actually falls right in with the parts I've been rewatching for years upon years.  For example, whenever I have a free weekend afternoon where I can't skate, I'll watch Ethan in Tincan, then Jake in Mindfield, then Barley in EEIII, then Suciu's Philly part, then Cromer's Krooked part, then Gilbert in Old Dominion, then maybe Ed in Welcome to Hell or Jensen in 11th Hour or an Adidas clip.  It's all just one continuous compilation for me and new parts just keep the record playing and playing and playing...

p.s. appletv + handbrake + keepvid = the greatest things to happen to skateboard video watching since the VCR.  I used to spend countless hours creating compilation VHS tapes using two VCRs and putting all my fav video parts on one tape ... now I just throw em all on the computer and make playlists, etc. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:46:11 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #430 on: January 23, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

right with Heritage on this one ... I'm still devouring all the new content and the best part of it is how seemlessly alot of it actually falls right in with the parts I've been rewatching for years upon years.  For example, whenever I have a free weekend afternoon where I can't skate, I'll watch Ethan in Tincan, then Jake in Mindfield, then Barley in EEIII, then Suciu's Philly part, then Cromer's Krooked part, then Gilbert in Old Dominion, then maybe Ed in Welcome to Hell or Jensen in 11th Hour or an Adidas clip.  It's all just one continuous compilation for me and new parts just keep the record playing and playing and playing...

p.s. appletv + handbrake + keepvid = the greatest things to happen to skateboard video watching since the VCR.  I used to spend countless hours creating compilation VHS tapes using two VCRs and putting all my fav video parts on one tape ... now I just throw em all on the computer and make playlists, etc. 

Just want to be clear, I wasn't complaining about the wealth of free videos. I just don't rewatch stuff often. Though, I do replay tidbits of my faves in my head. I don't think it personally has much to do with an oversaturation of video content, but more to do with being old. Shit, I don't even listen to music anymore, though I still love certain artists. But, I'll keep abreast with politics and world events daily.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #431 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
subliminal skate park edit
ask and ye shall receive. i'm the shitbird w/ orange pants and later w/ a rugby shirt. everyone's mid 30s except nate w/ the nosegrind nosewheelie and the line w/ the big pyramid.

gnar'd for old man footy and old Grandaddy
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

shark tits

« Reply #432 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »

gnar'd for old man footy and old Grandaddy
[/quote]
thanks floop. that song came on college radio enroute to a parking garage and we'd had it in mind ever since.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #433 on: January 27, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
Got my first grinds in over 3 months this afternoon. Nothing to write home about just scratch grinds, fside, bside and a few rock fakies, but it felt so good I almost cried. True story. I might make it to 50 yet...stoked! ;D
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2014, 12:14:02 AM »
Got my first grinds in over 3 months this afternoon. Nothing to write home about just scratch grinds, fside, bside and a few rock fakies, but it felt so good I almost cried. True story. I might make it to 50 yet...stoked! ;D

good on ya! I'm really looking forward to those first slash grinds.......It's been 5 month since my ankle surgery and my foot is finally beginning to feel normal! I'll wait until the first nice days of spring (which is also when I'll turn 40)  to get back on the board, but it's good to feel like it's actually gonna be possible.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

good on ya! I'm really looking forward to those first slash grinds.......It's been 5 month since my ankle surgery and my foot is finally beginning to feel normal! I'll wait until the first nice days of spring (which is also when I'll turn 40)  to get back on the board, but it's good to feel like it's actually gonna be possible.

I have a good 2+ months of winter left before I get some good outdoor cruising in.  Question...any older dudes ever try to have a conversation with the younger generation? I only ask because I'm pretty new to an area and generally, that's all I ever run into. It's pretty bizarre. It will be weird to be 39 this year.

Not a Fotograph

• Rep: 2
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »
I have a good 2+ months of winter left before I get some good outdoor cruising in.  Question...any older dudes ever try to have a conversation with the younger generation? I only ask because I'm pretty new to an area and generally, that's all I ever run into. It's pretty bizarre. It will be weird to be 39 this year.

Yeah, I've had some good ones. I gotta stop myself sometimes before I get in to old man story-telling mode about the 80's. But the dudes I see most often are usually pretty stoked to see a guy, in some cases their dad's age, out there hitting it. 

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I've had some good ones. I gotta stop myself sometimes before I get in to old man story-telling mode about the 80's. But the dudes I see most often are usually pretty stoked to see a guy, in some cases their dad's age, out there hitting it. 

I get in that same mode sometimes but feel like they look at me and don't buy it...problem is I look like I'm in my mid 20's so most tend to instantly assume I should be throwing myself down something or being more aggro in general. Funny thing is, if I was there age, I would be skating exactly the same as I do now with the addition of few more ollies here and there.  It took me a long time to realize how I wanted to actually skateboard or what was important about it to me at least.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
I haven't posted in a little while and I wanted to give it a bump, so I thought I'd check in. I'm happy to see that so many of you have kept it going for so long.

I guess I'll just chime in on what gearingupforgettingdown said here...I know exactly what you're talking about and that's why I like skating with just my one or two friends and a big part of why I hate going to skateparks. I don't consider myself a snob by any means, and if anyone at all is cool to me, no matter who they are, I'll be cool back to them. But I feel extremely awkward around and having to talk to people who I'm sometimes 20+ years older than. Most of the time, the only thing that we have in common is that we both skate, and 97% of the time, we have a completely different perspective on that. I don't hold it against them, but it's hard to "hang out" with them and skate/talk like I can with the few guys I normally do it with.

I just hooked up a new deck two weeks ago, a crispy new Baker/Figgy deck. My boy's been working nights so we've only been skating once a week on Sundays and last week I got serviced, bad. Hipper from hell. Limped around all week at work and had to take a raincheck on today's session.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
You're posting up a picture of a baker board on the Internet......you can't relate to 12 year olds?

shredbuffalo

« Reply #440 on: February 03, 2014, 12:55:58 PM »
You're posting up a picture of a baker board on the Internet......you can't relate to 12 year olds?

Yeah, sorry I go with what I like and I don't ride a Magenta or some shit so I can be "core" here on SLAP. Besides, all the 12 year olds around here ride REAL decks, so my Baker wouldn't make me cool to them anyhow.

coneklr

« Reply #441 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Trying to keep this thread where it's easy to find so thought I'd bump it with these clips I shot of my friend Ralph today ( my back sucked again so I figured this would be a good way to pass the time )  Not sure how to upload insta videos or if you can but heres a link

He turned 40 this year and had 2 knee surgeries in the last 3 ... I've got nothing but respect for this guy

http://instagram.com/p/kK10jNqa78/

http://instagram.com/p/kLO_6BqazN/

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #442 on: February 08, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
Make this thread sticky please. Thanks slap gods.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #443 on: February 08, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
I totally wish kids were into feeling the entire board and moving around instead of spots, gear or angles. The potential of skate is more limitless when you fully skateboard instead of pump out trickedytrickedoutness
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

shredbuffalo

« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
Make this thread sticky please. Thanks slap gods.

Keep it going and eventually with enough posts/time it will happen.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:03 AM »
Trying to keep this thread where it's easy to find so thought I'd bump it with these clips I shot of my friend Ralph today ( my back sucked again so I figured this would be a good way to pass the time )  Not sure how to upload insta videos or if you can but heres a link

He turned 40 this year and had 2 knee surgeries in the last 3 ... I've got nothing but respect for this guy

http://instagram.com/p/kK10jNqa78/

http://instagram.com/p/kLO_6BqazN/

well those 2 tricks are enough to see he's pretty good!!

also, I came across this on youtube, full-on old man contest

Tampa Pro 2010 Team Manager and Industry VIP Contest

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #446 on: February 10, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
here's another one.......(before the vert sesh)
"as they get older, they start slamming harder!"
 ;D

Max Schaaf, Mike Frazier, Christian Hosoi and More! Tampa Pro 2013 Friday - SPoT Life

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #447 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »
Frenchie...
We've been doing the Tampa VIP/Team Manager/Old Man contest for about 8-9 years now.  It was actually Stacy Lowery's idea to do it a long time ago.  Fun stuff, makes you actually try to land things you haven't done in a long time.  There's some good dudes in that clip.  Josh Friedberg is in there, Ira (filmer that did the 360 flip over the hip), Zitzer with the super good ollie off the extension, Brink, Kevin Wilkins etc.  It's a fun event.  Time for me to get my legs back, it's coming up in 1 month!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
I was actually wondering who did the smith and ollie off the extension......I thought it was Manzoori!
they have a little bit of the same style/build, don't they?

anyways it's a damn good idea!

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »
Yeah, I could see the similarities in their style  Frenchie. 
The idea was actually pretty genius by Stacy.  Many of us ex-pros, TM's and what not are at the contest anyways, so he said we should get off our fat-asses and get busy for a contest.  It's been pretty fun...like I said...just to actually try.  Sometimes at 41 years old that you need that extra motivation to really get going.  I'm sure that's one of the reasons that on a MUCH larger stage and extent the Vans Combi contest is so good.  All these vets really don't want to look too silly out there and most of them just downright kill it.  Just takes a little motivation these days.