Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301561 times)

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #510 on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
Props to all you old dudes out there getting some without a crew. Doing it solo style.
Your motivation is inspiring. I've probably gone out by myself 10 times during the last 20 years and had a full on session. Going to the store on the cruiser does not count.
Even as a young kid; my little brother skated. So I always had him to go out with.
Just like a month ago; it was a Saturday. Which usually means skate day. I wake up all hyped. Make the usual calls. My whole crew was either hurt, out of town or working. So I just ended up not skating.

This dude here was a major part of our crew. He was always down to go out. 2 years ago, he moved to Germany for a job. I talk to him once a month or so. He hardly even skates anymore, due to not having anyone to go out with. He's met a couple skater friends recently; but they are in their early 20's and he says their idea of skating is going to the skatepark and that's it. No street skating. Which is what he would like to do. So he takes a lap around the park and then just sits around and drinks beer while they play s.k.a.t.e. Without further ado; here he is, the one, the only Werm with his part from the first Washed Up Warriors video, released 2008. We miss you homie!
Mark "Werm" Ramirez Washed Up Warriors

b.v.

« Reply #511 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
I skate alone 5+ days a week.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #512 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
I like skating alone.

olliepop

• Rep: 6
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2014, 05:12:32 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #514 on: April 03, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
Sorry to ruin everyones day but you're all too old.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/10734738/How-old-is-too-old-to-skateboard.html
News papers are too old to be relevant.

b.v.

« Reply #515 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:03 AM »
I like skating alone.
I do enjoy skating with friends when it works out, but no one has my schedule. And I can focus on actually skating a bit more by myself. After 20+ years of picking people up and organizing weekend adventures I am burned out on being that guy. It's easier to just go and if so someone hits me up or happens to be at the park then great. But I'm done calling 10 people before I leave the house.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #516 on: April 03, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I like skating alone.
[close]
I do enjoy skating with friends when it works out, but no one has my schedule. And I can focus on actually skating a bit more by myself. After 20+ years of picking people up and organizing weekend adventures I am burned out on being that guy. It's easier to just go and if so someone hits me up or happens to be at the park then great. But I'm done calling 10 people before I leave the house.
Word. I've got one guy I skate with and if he's not available I'll just go solo.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #517 on: April 03, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like skating alone.
[close]
[close]
Word. I've got one guy I skate with and if he's not available I'll just go solo.
Same story for me. I get tired of dealing with the logistics of getting a session together. I usually have a time frame to deal with so I send out the text where I'll be and if no one shows I skate alone. I work weekends and a lot of my friends who skate are busy during the week when I am free. I'm definitely not asocial when it comes to skateboarding. I'm fortunate to still have a lot of friends who skate.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #518 on: April 03, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Why skating works as an adult is that you don't need your buddies to do it.........being cool with the kids at the park isnt bad....they are generally less bitter and care more about skating than most adults.....it's a great little time out....

BRO

« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Why skating works as an adult is that you don't need your buddies to do it.........being cool with the kids at the park isnt bad....they are generally less bitter and care more about skating than most adults.....it's a great little time out....

This is true.  I usually see the same kids at the park, and they are all out there barging it. 

shark tits

« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
i usedta skate alone. yeah, w/ nobody else. ya know when i skate alone i prefer to be by myself but lately w/ the weather warming we've had a 3-4 man crew and i prefer that. it offsets the group dynamics of me and my one friend who's usually getting wicked mad and introduces us to different ideas. bruh man threw fire on flatground yesterday. i was particularly off but he made me try tricks i normally wouldn't so asides the comradery it's worth it for that. rusty keeps frontin on me but hopefully one of these days we'll add him to the mix.

midevilco

« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
9 times out of 10 I'm rolling solo - and my static tripod footy is kinda depressing...
[close]
Still beats propping my phone against a curb.
[close]

Bout to get my curb-prop on soon as this broke toe heals.  Looking so nice out this east coast evening. Finally.

Broken Toes - Theeee worst. Not sure if they ever fully heal.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #522 on: April 04, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is true.  I usually see the same kids at the park, and they are all out there barging it. 

I skate alone quite a bit. Most of the guys I would skate with have moved or don't skate that much.
And now the younger guys (early 20's age) are starting to hit me up to go skate a lot more.
So it's kind of motivating having that happen.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #523 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
Well guys, I turned 39 a few weeks ago. My boy's coming to pick me up in about a half an hour to hit the park up for our Friday after work park session. My hip is aching a little bit from a slam I took Sunday and I think I pulled a muscle in my back this week at work so I'll have to take it kind of easy. Besides that, not much is going on.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #524 on: April 04, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »
I skate alone 5+ days a week.

ditto, but nowhere near the level of my main man b.v.
SPB!

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #525 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
i like skating with people but usually find that overall i'm more of a lone wolf.  it kind of goes in phases.  seems like skate friends come and go, and sometimes come back.  injuries, schedules etc..

at the end of the day i'm a lone wolf, but i love skating with people.   i kind of straddle both realms

oh yeah, i hardly ever skate all i do is work

cheers
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

b.v.

« Reply #526 on: April 04, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
i like skating with people but usually find that overall i'm more of a lone wolf.  it kind of goes in phases.  seems like skate friends come and go, and sometimes come back.  injuries, schedules etc..

There is something to be said about the energy from skating with friends. Obviously we feed off each other and I do tend to skate a bit better when I am thinking less. But overall if I'm putting plans with my wife on hold or playing taxi cab and picking 3 people up it's too much work. I have A dozen parks within 30 min of my house in any direction, usually someone there I know.
Plus being the guy at the skate shop everyone wants to talk about my job, and I'd rather just nerd out about actually riding my skateboard than the newest shoes we got in.

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #527 on: April 05, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »
chatting with my work buddy today he reminisced about being a Danny Ways house at a party
and he got sick of everyone being there and came out with a shotgun and told everyone to fuck off.... ;D

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #528 on: April 05, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »
chatting with my work buddy today he reminisced about being a Danny Ways house at a party
and he got sick of everyone being there and came out with a brick and told everyone to fuck off.... ;D

fuxt

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: April 05, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Lucky there weren't any bricks in the house....

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #530 on: April 05, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have A dozen parks within 30 min of my house in any direction

Fuck your house  :)

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #531 on: April 07, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »
had a pretty good session on Saturday.  haven't skated in weeks.  been working like a dog. 

i'm making it my mission to learn proper smith grinds on transition.  what's the secret?  i can grind about 2 inches.  think i need to be leaning back more

happy Monday old dudes
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

shark tits

« Reply #532 on: April 07, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
had a pretty good session on Saturday.  haven't skated in weeks.  been working like a dog. 

i'm making it my mission to learn proper smith grinds on transition.  what's the secret?  i can grind about 2 inches.  think i need to be leaning back more

happy Monday old dudes
good deal floop. i can only do grinds you ollie into but i'd say speed and leaning back. it's been good out here lately, the thaw has brought more 30somethings out from under the rock they've been smoking all winter. good to see everyone and smoke butts in a t-shirt.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #533 on: April 13, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
I feel like as I get older I enjoy skating alone less and less, but as I get older there are less and less people to skate with. I don't mind a solo skatepark sesh, but skating street alone kinda sucks. I feel like the center of attention for everyone not skating, and I hate that. Like today I tried to roll around solo and was bummed on all the civilians enjoying the weather. I used to be able to skate flat in the park and feel like no one noticed me. Now there are 45 other people w/in a stones throw throwing balls at eachother, and I'm just there, making all the noise, working on a fliptrick  :-\

Left after about 7 minutes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: April 13, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
I used to skate this shitty park a bunch and the local dudes adopted me more or less....once they invited me to go street skating and it was actually pretty fun.....I bought them all ice cream cones.

shark tits

« Reply #535 on: April 13, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
I feel like as I get older I enjoy skating alone less and less, but as I get older there are less and less people to skate with. I don't mind a solo skatepark sesh, but skating street alone kinda sucks. I feel like the center of attention for everyone not skating, and I hate that. Like today I tried to roll around solo and was bummed on all the civilians enjoying the weather. I used to be able to skate flat in the park and feel like no one noticed me. Now there are 45 other people w/in a stones throw throwing balls at eachother, and I'm just there, making all the noise, working on a fliptrick  :-\

Left after about 7 minutes.
i don't like it either and i think i usedta throw shit fits when i was younger but now i just try to wait it out if people are paying too much attention. i like it when i land something but not if i'm conscious of them ahead of time. you can really make someone's day w/ unexpected radness. they don't know what they saw but it'll stick w/ them and get bigger and crazier when they tell their friends. i'm fortunate enough to have a buddy or 2 most of the time.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #536 on: April 15, 2014, 01:09:16 AM »
I love solo cross-town missions.... went on a 3 hour cruise through Paris this week and it was so fun.
I actually miss living in Paris just because of that smooth-ass pavement everywhere.
also I filmed a lot of that cruise, no tricks, just focusing on the city...the architecture looks awesome just rolling around and swerving through pedestrians!

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #537 on: April 15, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »
Went on a solo cruise/minimal trick sesh on Saturday, it was the first real nice day here on the East coast in my area. Made a mix and enjoyed the day being my own best friend in the warm sun. Best way to see the city while capturing that feeling of youth. Still new to the area, and everyone here is a fraction of my age. There is a crew of older dudes who all skate and have known each other their whole lives, tried to be part of that at first but it fizzled out. Turned 39 on Sunday and woke up with a kinked neck, not sure if it was due to skating or bad sleeping. Honest question: are there any 40 somethings on this board that still cruise in the streets and if so, how long do you guys think you have left?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:16 AM »
40...rarely skate real street....but regularly session parks.....no idea how much longer.....I hope for another five...but I get that it could all end this afternoon....I'd be bummed but it's way more than I expected out of life.....

I know some dudes in their 50s and they still skate.  Barring major injury....I hope to do it for awhile but I'm in tune with nothing lasting forever.....and while I know dudes in their 50s....also know one dude who died...and another who was near crippled...

Something that keeps coming up in this thread is not having people to skate with.....obviously it's different as a full blown adult but....I've had this problem in the late 80s when skating fell off the map....in the 90s when everyone got all cool.....into the 2000s when everyone just started skating parks....

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Thing is, I feel fairly healthy, run or go to gym all week, only skate once/twice a week when it's nice, usually has to be 65 or higher with no wind, I'm a OCD pussy. It's all just low impact shit, cruising, shuvits ,no complies, manuals, skating curbs, occasional flip trick etc..feels great and still enjoy it after two plus decades, in doses of course. But all honesty, nothing in my life has impacted me as much. Reality is how much longer could I do it or feel OK doing it. I'm a pretty unconventional person, meaning, I don't want to have kids, have to work 40 plus hours at a job I don't love, have a house, nice car, you know, the typical western civilization bs. I've been contemplating moving somewhere where the money I have could go further, live simply, work odd jobs and keep doing what I'm doing, meaning living this carefree skatenerd lifestyle til' I'm deep in my 40's. I may end up being in a third world country skating with kids half my age but there are worst things...am I crazy?