Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301859 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #540 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
Went on a solo cruise/minimal trick sesh on Saturday, it was the first real nice day here on the East coast in my area. Made a mix and enjoyed the day being my own best friend in the warm sun. Best way to see the city while capturing that feeling of youth. Still new to the area, and everyone here is a fraction of my age. There is a crew of older dudes who all skate and have known each other their whole lives, tried to be part of that at first but it fizzled out. Turned 39 on Sunday and woke up with a kinked neck, not sure if it was due to skating or bad sleeping. Honest question: are there any 40 somethings on this board that still cruise in the streets and if so, how long do you guys think you have left?
I'm closer to 40 than 30 and prefer the streets to park still. Parks just frustrate me with kids, scooters, bikes and the local wanna be thugs hanging around. The streets have their own distractions but that's part of the experience. I get bummed when the one guy I regularly skate with wants to go to the parks even on a Sunday and usually strong arm him into a street session. Unlike a lot of older guys that prefer tranny as they get older I lost a lot of confidence skating it after a series of slams and hospital trips but I've been getting back into the mini since moving really close to one. I try to keep that strictly to weekdays or the last spot of the weekend.

shark tits

« Reply #541 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Went on a solo cruise/minimal trick sesh on Saturday, it was the first real nice day here on the East coast in my area. Made a mix and enjoyed the day being my own best friend in the warm sun. Best way to see the city while capturing that feeling of youth. Still new to the area, and everyone here is a fraction of my age. There is a crew of older dudes who all skate and have known each other their whole lives, tried to be part of that at first but it fizzled out. Turned 39 on Sunday and woke up with a kinked neck, not sure if it was due to skating or bad sleeping. Honest question: are there any 40 somethings on this board that still cruise in the streets and if so, how long do you guys think you have left?
[close]
I'm closer to 40 than 30 and prefer the streets to park still. Parks just frustrate me with kids, scooters, bikes and the local wanna be thugs hanging around. The streets have their own distractions but that's part of the experience. I get bummed when the one guy I regularly skate with wants to go to the parks even on a Sunday and usually strong arm him into a street session. Unlike a lot of older guys that prefer tranny as they get older I lost a lot of confidence skating it after a series of slams and hospital trips but I've been getting back into the mini since moving really close to one. I try to keep that strictly to weekdays or the last spot of the weekend.
that sounds like me. i even hate when my buddy wants to skate tennis courts w/ prefab obstacles but i never learned to skate tranny so i'm relegated to the streets for better or worse. once i get old i'll stop eating fruit and learn how to slappy grind a mini ramp.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #542 on: April 15, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
In the late 90's through the 2000's I loved checking out all the cool parks springing up everywhere but a quarterpipe is a quarterpipe is a quarterpipe. It gets stale. I have more fun at Derby than any other park. I go to parks frequently but I usually have more fun skating curbs and small street stuff.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #543 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
"it is of adolesents that Life makes its old men"
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
 i know some of you "old dudes"  are the organized types meddling with city skate park design, and lobbying for concrete bowls.  A big FUCK YOU to you guys man .   NOBODY skates these pieces of shit except bikers and you're old ass (weekends only)   fuck outta here man!!  again, go to a park mid week and count how many SKATEBOARDERS are in the bowl section.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #545 on: April 15, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »
There's definitely some truth in that. Compare how many kids skating at once at a plaza vs. a bowl.....

A skatepark design thread isn't a bad idea...

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2014, 12:55:28 AM »
not true for my Euro ass....  I see plenty of teen rippers in the local bowls and pools. Which wasn't the case 10 years ago.
a good park's gotta have something for everyone anyway. That being said, if I was 15 right now, I'd head for the streets and not a confined playground.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »
38 here. I nearly always roll solo although there is usually someone I know at the local parks. I've been rather tranny/park centric for the past decade but recently I've been trying to get some street back. My ledge and flat skills are rather embarrassing but honestly I've gotten a little bored of hanging out with old dudes doing frontside scratchers and stinkbugs. The problem with the more street like parks is that the age spread between me and the next oldest person is usually 18+ years.

The main reason I don't skate real streets so much is time constraints and the hassle of getting kicked out. I'd be happy if I had a spot with a manny pad, 3-stair, and ledge that wasn't a bust.

Just got over an injury, which thankfully doesn't happen that often but is something I can afford less and less these days because of day to day responsibilities. Guess that's in the back of my mind now.

Around here we still don't have a big, well rounded park. The old guys just want vert even if all they plan to do are the aforementioned frontside scratchers and the younger guys probably would be happy with just ledges and rails. I like a mix of bigger walls for speed, smaller hips to float, pryramids and euros that need to be ollied, small rails, a few easy QPs, a few super tight QPs, etc.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
i know some of you "old dudes"  are the organized types meddling with city skate park design, and lobbying for concrete bowls.  A big FUCK YOU to you guys man .   NOBODY skates these pieces of shit except bikers and you're old ass (weekends only)   fuck outta here man!!  again, go to a park mid week and count how many SKATEBOARDERS are in the bowl section.

not sure what bumbfuck egypt town you live in but around here everyone skates everything (all ages).   older guys definitely skate transition more, but younger guys do too.  if it weren't for dudes getting involved with the city (most of whom are older) a lot of these parks you skate wouldn't even get built.  so suck on some shriveled old dude testicles and keep quiet
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
that sounds like me. i even hate when my buddy wants to skate tennis courts w/ prefab obstacles but i never learned to skate tranny so i'm relegated to the streets for better or worse. once i get old i'll stop eating fruit and learn how to slappy grind a mini ramp.

I'm with you all on the street tip. 37 here. So maybe my opinion will change in a few years. I've been telling myself for years that once my body can't take street skating anymore; I will set up a bigger board and learn to skate Washington St and other tranny spots. Then after that; the plan was to learn to surf. I've lived in San Diego for 18 years now; and gone surfing 3 times. Well, that big board has been sitting in my closet for at least 5 years now. And the time I spent helping build Washington St still outweighs the time I've skated there. Thankfully; my crew is of the same mindset and its pretty much only street skating for us.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I'm with you all on the street tip. 37 here. So maybe my opinion will change in a few years. I've been telling myself for years that once my body can't take street skating anymore; I will set up a bigger board and learn to skate Washington St and other tranny spots. Then after that; the plan was to learn to surf. I've lived in San Diego for 18 years now; and gone surfing 3 times. Well, that big board has been sitting in my closet for at least 5 years now. And the time I spent helping build Washington St still outweighs the time I've skated there. Thankfully; my crew is of the same mindset and its pretty much only street skating for us.

Since we're on this street skating subject, for me at least, I've said it before, skate trick ratio vs. cruising/chilling is 35% vs 65%. I just like being in a city, on the streets, hanging out, vibing, enjoying a nice day preferably with a buddy or two. There's no better way to literally hang out in the streets than with a skateboard. Feel like doing a trick, you do one, if not you just enjoy the sights and sounds, get a snack/beverage and it's a good day. You don't get that at parks, you're usually around the worst people with subpar scenery and your literally forced to do tricks in most cases. I guess that's why I feel like I can do this for another good 10 years? It's not like I'm not going to enjoy hanging outside on a nice day anytime soon, mine as well carve and do some shuvits while I'm out there. I guess, at the end of the day, we're all taking are own path. I'm sure if the majority could have their way, we should've all stopped riding skateboards a long time ago.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:52:15 PM by gearingupforgettingdown »

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #552 on: April 16, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

Grant Taylor, Raven Tershay, Kevin Kowalski etc.. all grew skating bowls and rip everything, just because you are to scared to learn how to skate anything then a 6" high ledge don't poo poo on those of us who like to skate everything!!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
those dudes you mention are RAD , vert is prolly radder than street and gonz's favorite skater is shugo,  BUT,  representation by population is whats up for tax dollars fellas, quit fuking us with these sneaky  vert bowls or i'll blow one up

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
wouldnt really do that

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
I just want to point out that out of the "new" guys... Grant Taylor and Raven Tershy are amazing. Grant reminds me so much of Cardiel, its pretty awesome. Besides that, I just turned 38 three weeks ago and I swear I have a permanent heel bruise since 2010, it's regular and makes all my sessions shorter than I'd prefer. AND 99% of my skater buddies....no longer skate, so I skate alone, a LOT. it's weird!
And  my first child (son!) is due any week, I have mini-Vans for him and INdy onesies. tight!

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
I personally enjoy skating with the younger cats. Most of the guys I skate with are younger now days anyway, cause I am the old guy. I have always enjoyed watching skateboarding and was always impressed watching my friends do new shit, so to see the kids now days do what they do, gets me hyped to try shit! I landed my first kick flip on vert last summer and that is something I never even thought possible so many years ago. I still have issues with flat ground ones but doing them on a ramp just feels more fulfilling to me after flipping my board for over 20 years.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #557 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Sorry for the giant pic. A box I built last weekend. Slight incline 8)

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #558 on: April 17, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #559 on: April 23, 2014, 04:47:42 AM »
Are there any 40 somethings on this board that still cruise in the streets and if so, how long do you guys think you have left?

I'm a 41-year-old who mostly skates street & mostly solo. I'm in a new city (Boston), so most days I just push out the door & spend a few hours wandering aimlessly. Sometimes it's just cruising around, enjoying the weather & the women & the rhythm of the city, sometimes I roll by a park & skate a little there, sometimes I meet up with other skaters at spots along the way.

I've had so many good sessions with bros over the years, but I'm totally content with solo skating these days. I tap into my deepest love for skating when it's just me & my board & the city - same way it was when I was 15. I imagine I can skate this way for another 10-15 years at least, but that's the thing about skating - you never know when the career-ending injury is going to happen. You just gotta live for now.

shark tits

« Reply #560 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Are there any 40 somethings on this board that still cruise in the streets and if so, how long do you guys think you have left?
[close]

I'm a 41-year-old who mostly skates street & mostly solo. I'm in a new city (Boston), so most days I just push out the door & spend a few hours wandering aimlessly. Sometimes it's just cruising around, enjoying the weather & the women & the rhythm of the city, sometimes I roll by a park & skate a little there, sometimes I meet up with other skaters at spots along the way.

I've had so many good sessions with bros over the years, but I'm totally content with solo skating these days. I tap into my deepest love for skating when it's just me & my board & the city - same way it was when I was 15. I imagine I can skate this way for another 10-15 years at least, but that's the thing about skating - you never know when the career-ending injury is going to happen. You just gotta live for now.

hey getty, i'm 45 minutes and another world away in wormtown but if you wanna meet up and skate my spots and nibble at my satchel, hit me up. i haven't skated boston in like a decade but i remember it fondly. we used to have gas stations named getty [w/ a pegasus logo i think] but they might be all gone now. i'm 37, my downstairs neighbor is 35 and we're out part of the day, every day. bruh man's in his early 30s and sometimes we've got a few other old farts.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #561 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:36 AM »
don't poo poo on those of us who like to skate everything!!

Skating curbs, ledges, manual pads, flatground, stairs etc = Not skating everything.. Gay.

Only skating transition, maybe the occasional bank = Skating everything.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #562 on: April 23, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice Getty...I dig your attitude, same feelings basically. I think if you keep things pretty low to the ground and mellow, you can skate for while in your 40's, at least that's what I would think.

b.v.

« Reply #563 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
This weekend was rough, went out street skating and my legs felt kinda wobbly even though I ate well and stretched, found a few fun spots but then we ended up at this ride on grind up a ramp made of metal grating with sharp edges. Somehow neglected to realize the peril of my spot and went for it, slipped out and landed on my hands and leg. Thought my thumb got cut to the bone and broke my finger as they got stuck on the inside of the sharp grating, as i laid there i wondered what the hell am i doing at 40 out here skating some sketchy thing, having skated for so long I never considered what I would do without my phalanges, how at risk I put my self daily.
Seriously considered giving it up for a bit, I won't but I will be keeping myself a bit more contained.
I love the streets, but they kick my ass regularly.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #564 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

hey getty, i'm 45 minutes and another world away in wormtown but if you wanna meet up and skate my spots and nibble at my satchel, hit me up. i haven't skated boston in like a decade but i remember it fondly. we used to have gas stations named getty [w/ a pegasus logo i think] but they might be all gone now. i'm 37, my downstairs neighbor is 35 and we're out part of the day, every day. bruh man's in his early 30s and sometimes we've got a few other old farts.

Nice! I get around the metro area quite a bit, so I'll hit ya up if I'm in your neck of the woods for sure.

as i laid there i wondered what the hell am i doing at 40 out here skating some sketchy thing

Gnarly hand-munch pics, man. Totally know that feeling of suddenly realizing you've overstepped your bounds a bit & now it's time to pay. I suppose skaters of all ages know that feeling to some extent.

For me there's this particular kind of exhilaration I get sometimes when the sun's going down in some shitty part of town & I'm all alone by some filthy dumpster in a parking lot somewhere skating some hunk of angle iron or a curb or something, getting obsessed with getting some trick before dark - or maybe just having a chill flatground sesh - & all around me guys my age in suits & work clothes are hurrying by, absorbed in the hustle, & it suddenly strikes me how completely ridiculous an activity this is for a 41-year-old man.

And then the next feeling is: goddamn I'm lucky.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: April 23, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »
I made this little solo vid last week, dedicated to the art of swerving around pedestrians and traffic!
Goddamn I miss skating in Paris....Smoothest sidewalks of any city I've been to, it's like one giant skatepark. So fun.

If I was still living there, cruising through the streets from point A to point B is all I would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq3IL6wc9dA

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #566 on: April 23, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
nice, Frenchie.  definitely the what it would feel like to be skating around Paris, which sounds fun to me right now
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #567 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
After nearly 3 months off due to terrible northeastern winter followed by broken toe, I got out for a couple night cruises recently. Always a struggle to get my form back after so much time off. Having difficulty nailing down the balance point on my manuals and struggling to Ollie small curbs; body feeling like a leaden weight. It'd be embarrassing, except on nights like these I am alone, and it's quiet out, and nobody gives a fuck, so why should I.

My favorite thing about getting older and starting to skate again has been not caring about being good at it the way I did when I was young.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #568 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
My favorite thing about getting older and starting to skate again has been not caring about being good at it the way I did when I was young.
Very true.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
thanks Floop.

Also about this:
Expand Quote
[close]
Very true.

Maybe I have to learn to let go.......I still get frustrated about losing tricks.
yes, I don't care about "being good" like I used to. But I still care about getting worse and worse....and breaking my ankle at 39 really fucked up my confidence on the board.