Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301539 times)

Nacnud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #570 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »
I have let go and skating is ever better now. Without focussing on the things I knew, I now get to break down all types of new tricks. Just learnt crooked slappies, reg frontside slappies and just general better flow to my skating. When this flow is happening the old tricks come back but without the  self loathing stress.  Time is tight these days with two kids so any time on the board is pure joy. I usually just skate by myself but when others are down the fun is tripled.
" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #571 on: April 24, 2014, 03:42:23 AM »
thanks Floop.

Also about this:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My favorite thing about getting older and starting to skate again has been not caring about being good at it the way I did when I was young.
[close]
Very true.
[close]

Maybe I have to learn to let go.......I still get frustrated about losing tricks.
yes, I don't care about "being good" like I used to. But I still care about getting worse and worse....and breaking my ankle at 39 really fucked up my confidence on the board.

I'm no Buddhist sage. I should amend that to say that I still curse aloud and occasionally kick my board across the parking lot when I can't lock down some of the shit I used to have on speed dial.

But the difference now is if that happens one time too many, I just leave the lot and get back to cruising as fast as I can, Ollie a few sewer caps, and my troubles are soon forgotten.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #572 on: April 25, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »
had an over 30 skate crew in NYC...it was one of the most fun periods of skateboarding for me.

now, in Iowa, it's just me and corn

Where in Iowa, Art?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:19:33 PM by Stanley Spadowski »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

SGSmith

« Reply #573 on: April 26, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
-I turn 40 this June, 2014 and love skateboarding as much now as I did when I first started in 1985 as an 11 year old kid with my first Nash.
-I am deeply grateful that I can skate at the level I do (which is quite humble mind you but hey, I can land some stuff), but realize that I truly am in the twilight of my time of really skateboarding and not just cruising around, not that there's anything wrong with that.
-I'm glad Rodney Mullen voiced in an interview what I've felt for years, that I shy away form skating "in public" or with too many people anymore because I'm becoming more and more self conscious of my age and looking my age and well basically sucking on my board. I want to skate and not think about it and not feel like somebody's thinking, "oh look at that old guy, isn't that great he's still on it, and he can actually land some stuff here and there." Go fuck yourself.
-I can't do kickflips anymore, not because I can't do them, per-se, but after doing them for 20+ years, the pressure points in my knees and ankles just make it, well hard. But I can variel flip like a champ! Weird.
-Three weeks after meeting a woman I began dating, she came home from work to find me building a bench and a flat bar on her nice deck, (cause the area we lived in didn't have crap to skate) All she did was asked me if I needed a beer. We've been married for 11 years now.
-All the clichés we all rolled our eyes at are actually true. Life does go by fast. I was a brooding teenager then a sophisticated 20 something who thought everybody was beneath me, a panicky 30 year old finally establishing a career and now I'm 40 and realize I was always a dork and am happiest with my family, friends or on a skateboard. (all three together rule). Enjoy the moment.
-The older you get, especially after 30, the more the perception of time passing accelerates.
-Declaring, "I wont live past twenty something" is a cop out and an attempt to not plan for the future.
-Wear Sunblock! Between the ages of 8 to 18, is when your skin is the most vulnerable. The damage done during that time can have repercussion's throughout the rest of your life.
-Did I mention wear sunblock? Seriously.
-I appreciate it when skaters deride park skating. But when you get older, and your time becomes more scheduled, you need to be able to show up, skate, land what you need to land and get on with your day. Only those damn skateparks allow that. But I do love skating street, the rare times the opportunity presents itself.
-I have never ollied into an air on a ramp. I still early grab, but man can I early grab an air above the lip! It's a full stink-bug, and I'm the only one who likes it, when others see it, they involuntarily grasp their knees and convulse into the dry-heaves then plead with me to never do it again, but it feels great!
-I've only dropped in on vert and chinked my back trucks, 50-50 stalled and rocked to fakie on vert. That's it.
-I have never landed an impossible, so I redeemed myself by learning 360 flips instead. My friend who skates like Mike Carroll gave me the pointer that still sticks today, "ya gotta scoop with that back foot man, scoop it!"
-I have lost my nollie flips, but I can still nollie 5050 a ledge.
-When I really want to hit it hard at the park, I will only wear long jeans and I wrap my angles and shins in Ace bandages because after years of abusing my shins, it feels great to have the skateboard bounce of my shin and all I feel is a light bump. It really improves your commitment level to tricks too. I wish I wrapped my shins long ago. They look like skin grafts from a burn victim.
-I do not STILL skate. I simply Skate!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:45:06 PM by S »

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
Got fully flared in my old age today.
http://instagram.com/p/nRPtj6ofxf/

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #575 on: April 26, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
^ nice!

b.v.

« Reply #576 on: April 26, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »
Tech!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #577 on: April 27, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
Got fully flared in my old age today.
http://instagram.com/p/nRPtj6ofxf/
you're my hero of the day.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #578 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
Some dude called me "Sir" at a skatepark the other day.  Not a big deal other than the fact that said dude was rocking a full beard so either I need to stop wearing my monocle when I shred or that was my queue to start posting in this thread.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #579 on: April 27, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
Went skating today after a pretty boozy night last night. Got up sans hangover (just lucky I guess) and went for a run with the wifey (which I never normally do. It figured after all that beer I owed it to my body), had a work out on the outdoor gym then called my friend to hit the park. About an hour in I whipped out on a switch FS pop shuvit and dislocated the shoulder I had surgery on last year. Sat up and put it back in one swift motion like it was no biggie, did a kickflip and said to my friend that it was beer time, gonna ice it up and rest for a week or two but I wasn't that bad. Told wifey and she was concerned but never would she say "Aren't you a little old to play on useless wooden toys" because she knows it keeps me young at heart and sane. Bummed I couldn't skate more but when your older, prone to injury and have a job you just have to roll with the punches.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #580 on: April 27, 2014, 08:39:50 PM »
Damn, today I was forced to admit that since I cut out booze my skating has improved 1000 fold. Sucks, because I considered my boozelessness to be temporary (I always go off when on antibiotics) but after a week of no booze I've lost 10 pounds, which puts me pretty close to my ideal weight for skating, & I feel fucking AMAZING. Getting back ledge tricks I haven't had in years.

I'd thought that the reason certain tricks were getting hard was just that I was getting old. But now I'm realizing that over the last few years I've been steadily drinking & eating more & THAT is what was responsible for my deteriorating skate skills - far more than age.

Sucks, cause drinking's fun.:) But skating's more fun. Just weed for me now.

b.v.

« Reply #581 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »
Felt really good this weekend and got some street skating in, learned a new trick!
http://instagram.com/p/nUJXVTgi42/
Also my friend Logan uploaded his new video and I got a few things in it.
http://youtu.be/HaVqcBSpMCs?t=44s

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #582 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
Good stuff b.v., got me wanting to skate. Unfortunately it raining here, and looks like it's gonna keep raining until the weekend.

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #583 on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Felt really good this weekend and got some street skating in, learned a new trick!
http://instagram.com/p/nUJXVTgi42/
Also my friend Logan uploaded his new video and I got a few things in it.
http://youtu.be/HaVqcBSpMCs?t=44s

Nice..diggin' the boardslide hurricane and the ollie over into the miniature wedge.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
I've been on a regiment everyday since the weather broke:

1:15-Start Sauna
1:30-Put Daughter down for nap
1:30-2:00-Skate Flat out front of house (Trying to acquire a double sided curb for the driveway)
2:00-2:30- Sit in Sauna
2:30-2:45-Stretch/Shower
3:00-Lunch with Daughter

Been on this every day the weather allows and it's been pretty awesome, just trying to stay on top of my basics and stay comfortable/familiar with my board.  On nights I don't have to work I'll do a 10-15 mile bike ride, and on days it rains I'll just run on the treadmill/sit in the sauna.  I've been watching what I eat and eating way better and I notice that makes me feel lighter/limber.  A close friend lives by the "you are what you eat" & "It's not what you do once in a while, but what you do daily" and it's so true it's scary.  

It's 1:18 and 65 degrees out....gotta start that routine!
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
Damn, today I was forced to admit that since I cut out booze my skating has improved 1000 fold. Sucks, because I considered my boozelessness to be temporary (I always go off when on antibiotics) but after a week of no booze I've lost 10 pounds, which puts me pretty close to my ideal weight for skating, & I feel fucking AMAZING. Getting back ledge tricks I haven't had in years.

I'd thought that the reason certain tricks were getting hard was just that I was getting old. But now I'm realizing that over the last few years I've been steadily drinking & eating more & THAT is what was responsible for my deteriorating skate skills - far more than age.

I'm less interested in drinking as I've gotten older. I kinda went off the deep end with it for a while, but thankfully moderation has come easier with age. Skating is definitely more fun. Going out just reminds me how out of touch, I am and drinking alone is a drag.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #586 on: April 29, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm less interested in drinking as I've gotten older. I kinda went off the deep end with it for a while, but thankfully moderation has come easier with age. Skating is definitely more fun. Going out just reminds me how out of touch, I am and drinking alone is a drag.
After 15 years of daily drinking; I haven't had a sip in 1 1/2 years now. And I feel great. I was the type to be drinking while I skated. Even if I drank so much that I threw up in the morning; by the time night rolled around; I'd start again. I don't know if my skills are any better now that I'm not drinking. But my whole quality of life seems better. Not so many highs and lows. It happened really organically too. One day I just decided I wasn't going to drink that day. I felt so good the next day that I just kept it going. I wake up hyped on the weekend to go skate now. Not dragging my feet and feeling half out of it. Just a few puffs of medical marijuana and I'm good to go.

b.v.

« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »
Wednesday we headed down to  portland to do a wear test for Nike and skate the park they have indoors.
Really slick and rough trying to break in new shoes on the spot but we had a blast.
After we hit a few street spots but it was pretty warm out so didn't last long.
Myself and one of my guys at the park
http://instagram.com/p/ndwXMgAizc/

BRO

« Reply #588 on: May 02, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
After 15 years of daily drinking; I haven't had a sip in 1 1/2 years now. And I feel great. I was the type to be drinking while I skated. Even if I drank so much that I threw up in the morning; by the time night rolled around; I'd start again. I don't know if my skills are any better now that I'm not drinking. But my whole quality of life seems better. Not so many highs and lows. It happened really organically too. One day I just decided I wasn't going to drink that day. I felt so good the next day that I just kept it going. I wake up hyped on the weekend to go skate now. Not dragging my feet and feeling half out of it. Just a few puffs of medical marijuana and I'm good to go.

I've been working graves lately (10p-6a), so haven't really been drinking beer. I don't think I really drank too much, probably just too often.  Felt bloated and tired a lot.  Anyhoo, haven't hand any beer for close to 4 weeks, and I feel really good.  Lots of energy.  Skate just about everday for 1.5hrs, which I'll take as a 41 yr old.  Even learning some new tricks.  I'll probably just keep up not having any beer.  I've been drinking beer pretty consistently since I was 17, so probably time for a break.  New chapters.

N.L.

« Reply #589 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

I've been working graves lately (10p-6a), so haven't really been drinking beer. I don't think I really drank too much, probably just too often.  Felt bloated and tired a lot.  Anyhoo, haven't hand any beer for close to 4 weeks, and I feel really good.  Lots of energy.  Skate just about everday for 1.5hrs, which I'll take as a 41 yr old.  Even learning some new tricks.  I'll probably just keep up not having any beer.  I've been drinking beer pretty consistently since I was 17, so probably time for a break.  New chapters.

Quitter.

When you coming up again?

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #590 on: May 05, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
Got my first decent outdoor session in yesterday, fuck I'm sore today

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #591 on: May 05, 2014, 05:24:26 PM »
IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER

do i qualify to post in this thread? im really old and my knee caps crack and pop every single time i try to bend down. clipping my toe nails has gotten really fun really fast.
#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

shark tits

« Reply #592 on: May 05, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER IM A 28 YEAR OLD LOSER

do i qualify to post in this thread? im really old and my knee caps crack and pop every single time i try to bend down. clipping my toe nails has gotten really fun really fast.
you can post whatever you want but you're still 2 yrs away from getting 3 tries on your last letter.

Aidan Clarke

• Rep: -122
« Reply #593 on: May 05, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you can post whatever you want but you're still 2 yrs away from getting 3 tries on your last letter.

im so spaced out and out of my face when i play skate that i dont even remember which tricks were done. i stopped playing skate a while ago, since most of the people asking me to play skate are 15 year olds that want to play 'berrics rules' (which means the little bastards make up their own rules because i dont know what the fuck theyre talking about) and end up doing do overs on their 'switch nollie varial double flips.'

skateboarding on long island is the fucking worst.
#crackkka

BBM: 79DEA941, fuck with me sheffledge

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #594 on: May 05, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
Never knew the three try rule.....

I get 4....

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #595 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: May 21, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
Hell yeah! Vern Laird!

shark tits

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?

b.v.

« Reply #599 on: May 25, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »
Weather has been pretty good, here, skating every day my body allows.
Lots of street lurking, learned fs 360 ollies after all these years. Also our curb spot has been getting a lot of action too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrrreiQpQg&feature=youtu.be